Cross Country 2018

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
hzy
High-quality H20 provider

Cross Country 2018

Post by hzy »

Any informed predictions for the upcoming cross country season? Will Waiakea, Punahou, and Maui High give a challenge to Iolani? Will Seabury continue to dominate, at the least, DII?

hzy

Re: Cross Country 2018

Post by hzy »

Bump

whoewa70
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by whoewa70 »

After the Iolani Invitational I think the Maui Boys are legit. They impressed me with their group running and finished well in tough competition. Iolani and Punahou also did well in the team competition. I think the Boys Individual race will be tough with several boys running well early. Contenders will include Adam Harder (Hanalani), Hunter Shields and Adam Hakola (Maui), Cole Davidson (Seabury Hall), Kainalu Pagente (PC)

For the girls Chloe Gangnath from Seabury is my pick to win States. She placed 3rd in 18:09 at Iolani. A trio of ILH runners, Gianna Sbarbaro (Le Jardin), Aya Margraf (Iolani), Maiya Fujiwara (Punahou), are the next group of contenders. The depth of Punahou is my girls team champion pick but HBA looked pretty good too. Punahou placed their scoring 5 in the top 25 in the Girls Varsity race at Iolani.

I know the season is early but it's already Divisional Championships for the OIA this weekend. I am interested to see how it's going to play out. I wonder if the neighbor island schools went to CORP when they came down for Iolani. Doing some early season recon on the state course. Since HIADA didn't adopt the proposal of making the course available to other leagues for racing during the season will they wait until they come for States?

It's October next week and States is at the end of the month. Good luck and good running to everyone.

hzy

Post by hzy »

I agree with most of your take whoeva. I don’t know what’s going on with Punahou recently, they haven’t had the pack they showed at the beginning of the season, but they have to be considered a contender in a race that doesn’t have a clear cut top team like last year’s Iolani squad. The Big Island schools are always a mystery, too. They’ve been trading off all season as to who is winning the meets. As for the boys, I agree with those you listed, but would also add Alan Ankram (Kealakehe) and Garret Smith (Kapa`a).

I think Chloe will run away from the field, but she doesn’t have a team to back her up this year, which is unfortunate for her. Punahou will run away with the team title this year.

I am disappointed that there were no Invites at CORP this year that the outer islands could attend. We will see if that has any affect on the performances at the state meet.