unpaid D-I football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: unpaid D-I football

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

Markeke wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:38 pm Why wouldn't a promising player NOT go to a promising mainland program? Especially if they have a couple years of eligibility and the school shows interest in them. Some of these programs are top notch in coaches, facilities, alumni support and college affiliations.
@Markeke: Well, it's all about whose lenses we're seeing the matter through, right? OK, I guess the player would like to go to the best football school he can. But for (most of, I suspect) the rest of us, we'd probably rather see him play for a Hawaii school.

teamhawaii
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider
NBA: L.A. Lakers

Post by teamhawaii »

Markeke wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:38 pm Why wouldn't a promising player NOT go to a promising mainland program? Especially if they have a couple years of eligibility and the school shows interest in them. Some of these programs are top notch in coaches, facilities, alumni support and college affiliations.
Ultimately in the end it's up to the player and his family. I just like seeing Hawaii boys represent Hawaii. But a lot of factors are not on Hawaii side like the ones you mentioned ie coaching, facilities, alumni support, media exposure.

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

Well at least if the kids go to the 9th island( vegas), they have a big Hawaiian community. Likewise programs that have turned around like Waipahu with updated facility and a coaching staff that stuck around and committed to the kids for several years. With Fred Salanoa going back to Radford, we may see the rise of the Rams again and maybe the end of the Halawa pipeline to central Oahu. Let's hope Farrington can get back on track. Waianae is another school and community that needs to get back on track.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Markeke wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:44 am Well at least if the kids go to the 9th island( vegas), they have a big Hawaiian community. Likewise programs that have turned around like Waipahu with updated facility and a coaching staff that stuck around and committed to the kids for several years. With Fred Salanoa going back to Radford, we may see the rise of the Rams again and maybe the end of the Halawa pipeline to central Oahu. Let's hope Farrington can get back on track. Waianae is another school and community that needs to get back on track.
@Markeke: Yeah, Salanoa is also a Radford alumnus, so good for him. Having said that, I'd hate to think that a school's field/facility is an issue. I mean, a school doesn't have to have a new field/stadium/facility to be good. After all, not every school has that. I'd like to think that if a school has a good team, the facilities don't matter. Then every school can have hope, regardless of what kind of field they have. I'm reminded of what Mufi Hanneman said when he was mayor: Some things are "need-to-haves"; some things are "nice-to-haves." A nice/new field/stadium is nice to have, but it's not something that a school needs to have.

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

Well as far as a good fields, it has become the norm for astro turf or field turf to the choicr

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Markeke wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:12 pm Well as far as a good fields, it has become the norm for astro turf or field turf to the choicr
@Markeke: Yes, but hasn't Astroturf kind of gone out of fashion? Isn't that what was originally installed at Aloha Stadium? Doesn't it get too hard over time? I think there's a new kind of artificial turf; I think it's the kind of turf St Louis School and McKinley High have. Interestingly, both schools have nice artificial fields, but not stadiums. Some schools have stadiums, yet those schools' football teams aren't as good as St Louis'. So, that kind of lends support to the idea that, while facilities may be important, they're not necessarily the deciding factor as to how good a school's team is. Right now I'm thinking about Kalaheo High. If I'm not mistaken, they don't have a nice artificial-turf field, nor do they have a stadium. They never did. Yet, as I recall, their football team was pretty good in '83. That year they played Nanakuli High for the OIA title (This was way back, before classification.) They lost, but the thing is, they played for the title. And of course, that brings to mind those Golden Hawks. They have a stadium now, but I don't think they had one back in '83. So, both the Mustangs and the Golden Hawks had neither a nice artificial field nor a stadium. Nanakuli High went on to play St Louis School in the Prep Bowl, with the Crusaders winning. Can't recall the score; I think it was relatively close. The Golden Hawks had Clayton Mahuka, a big, bruising RB who was also pretty fast for his size. And, of course, the Crusaders had neither an artificial-turf field nor a stadium at that time, either. So, again: Facilities don't necessarily matter.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:59 pm
Markeke wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:44 am Well at least if the kids go to the 9th island( vegas), they have a big Hawaiian community. Likewise programs that have turned around like Waipahu with updated facility and a coaching staff that stuck around and committed to the kids for several years. With Fred Salanoa going back to Radford, we may see the rise of the Rams again and maybe the end of the Halawa pipeline to central Oahu. Let's hope Farrington can get back on track. Waianae is another school and community that needs to get back on track.
@Markeke: Yeah, Salanoa is also a Radford alumnus, so good for him. Having said that, I'd hate to think that a school's field/facility is an issue. I mean, a school doesn't have to have a new field/stadium/facility to be good. After all, not every school has that. I'd like to think that if a school has a good team, the facilities don't matter. Then every school can have hope, regardless of what kind of field they have. I'm reminded of what Mufi Hanneman said when he was mayor: Some things are "need-to-haves"; some things are "nice-to-haves." A nice/new field/stadium is nice to have, but it's not something that a school needs to have.
The OIA/ILH merger has brought me to OIA fields that I’ve never seen before. Watching a game at Waianae’s stadium right around sunset was just stunning.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:40 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:59 pm
The OIA/ILH merger has brought me to OIA fields that I’ve never seen before. Watching a game at Waianae’s stadium right around sunset was just stunning.
@genks: Yeah, the thing about Waianae High's stadium is that it's almost right next to the beach. Also, they installed new wood for their bleachers several years ago.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Players make the game.Kahuku has many state championships in the HHSAA playoff era,even though their home field is really ugly.

AstroTurf is basically gone,I think. The latest trend seems to be a still synthetic turf with rubber like particles spread over the field that add cushioning against falls. The big complaint I have noticed is that some people have concerns that some of these synthetic particles can be breathed in by players and lead to respiratory problems. In my Hs Days, Radford had a grass field. If A cow can't eat it,you probably don't want to play on it. That's just me being OG.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

unpaid wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:57 pm Players make the game.Kahuku has many state championships in the HHSAA playoff era,even though their home field is really ugly.

AstroTurf is basically gone,I think. The latest trend seems to be a still synthetic turf with rubber like particles spread over the field that add cushioning against falls. The big complaint I have noticed is that some people have concerns that some of these synthetic particles can be breathed in by players and lead to respiratory problems. In my Hs Days, Radford had a grass field. If A cow can't eat it,you probably don't want to play on it. That's just me being OG.
@unpaid: Good point about Kahuku High. Most years, they're OIA D1/Open champs. Yet, they have a grass field that kind of sucks; some patches of the field don't even have any grass. Regarding AstroTurf, yeah: Over time, the surface gets hard, almost like wood. And, during my high school days, all high schools had grass fields. But, what sucked about grass fields is that invariably there were tiny rocks or pebbles, and those small, hard, dried-mud "twists". All of those, caused scrapes/cuts on your arms when you got tackled into the ground.

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

When I mentioned astro turf, I meant the new generation type not the green rug of yester year. In today's football, speed is king. No way you have a passing offense, with a home dirt field, especially in areas prone to rain. Castle got turf and we know Kaneohe rains alot. That good for them. Hopefully one day the OIA will even out the playing field,pun, and go all turf.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:11 pm
Markeke wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:12 pm Well as far as a good fields, it has become the norm for astro turf or field turf to the choicr
@Markeke: Yes, but hasn't Astroturf kind of gone out of fashion? Isn't that what was originally installed at Aloha Stadium? Doesn't it get too hard over time? I think there's a new kind of artificial turf; I think it's the kind of turf St Louis School and McKinley High have. Interestingly, both schools have nice artificial fields, but not stadiums. Some schools have stadiums, yet those schools' football teams aren't as good as St Louis'. So, that kind of lends support to the idea that, while facilities may be important, they're not necessarily the deciding factor as to how good a school's team is. Right now I'm thinking about Kalaheo High. If I'm not mistaken, they don't have a nice artificial-turf field, nor do they have a stadium. They never did. Yet, as I recall, their football team was pretty good in '83. That year they played Nanakuli High for the OIA title (This was way back, before classification.) They lost, but the thing is, they played for the title. And of course, that brings to mind those Golden Hawks. They have a stadium now, but I don't think they had one back in '83. So, both the Mustangs and the Golden Hawks had neither a nice artificial field nor a stadium. Nanakuli High went on to play St Louis School in the Prep Bowl, with the Crusaders winning. Can't recall the score; I think it was relatively close. The Golden Hawks had Clayton Mahuka, a big, bruising RB who was also pretty fast for his size. And, of course, the Crusaders had neither an artificial-turf field nor a stadium at that time, either. So, again: Facilities don't necessarily matter.
I was discussing this post with some friends earlier today at Jack-In-The-Box. One of them said Kalaheo High was supposed to get a new field and an electronic scoreboard this past October. Any Kalaheo alumni out there who can verify?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Markeke wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:54 am When I mentioned astro turf, I meant the new generation type not the green rug of yester year. In today's football, speed is king. No way you have a passing offense, with a home dirt field, especially in areas prone to rain. Castle got turf and we know Kaneohe rains alot. That good for them. Hopefully one day the OIA will even out the playing field,pun, and go all turf.
@Markeke: Well, don't know what to say in response. St Louis School has had a pass-oriented O since the mid-'80s, but as an ILH school, they were already playing most of their games at Aloha Stadium, with its old-style "rug" AstroTurf. Well, what about Kaiser High? The run-and-shoot was born there (at least as far as Hawaii is concerned), in the late-'70s or early-'80s, courtesy of the Lee brothers, who were coaching that school at the time. I don't think Kaiser High has ever had artificial turf. Yet, they're a pass-oriented school. I think the thing we need to remember is that, whatever type of field, and whatever conditions exist on that field, come game time both schools have to play on it. I think it's one thing to build your O around the players you have, but I don't think a coach should feel compelled to build his O around the field he has. If you've got a good QB and good receivers, go with a pass game, no matter what kind of field you have. Nothing much you can do about your field, but don't let that stop you.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Of all the non-conference games against mainland teams, I think Mililani's got the toughest. They lost a ton of seniors and will take on a team with a top-five QB (St. John Bosco). We've got Long Beach Poly, but they ain't the Long Beach Poly of the late '90s/early 2000s. I think Gorman will be a shell of the 2012 team that toyed with St. Louis that year.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:02 pm Of all the non-conference games against mainland teams, I think Mililani's got the toughest. They lost a ton of seniors and will take on a team with a top-five QB (St. John Bosco). We've got Long Beach Poly, but they ain't the Long Beach Poly of the late '90s/early 2000s. I think Gorman will be a shell of the 2012 team that toyed with St. Louis that year.
@gopunahou: I've often wondered why some schools/coaches want to punish themselves by scheduling extremely tough exhibition games. I mean, I get the idea that to be the best, you have to play the best. But, when it come to a physical sport such as football, you run the risk of injury. If you play a school that's good but not that big, fine. But, how many schools are good without being big? Very few. When it comes to football, in which so much of the game depends on run-blocking, pass-blocking, and tackling, you almost have to be big to be good. I'm pretty OK with Mililani High, so I'd love to see them win the state Open title this coming season. Yes, playing good schools helps tune them for that, but not so much if they suffer injuries in those exhibition games against big, tough schools. If I were York, I wouldn't schedule exhibition games that are any more physically tough than such games that St Louis School or your alma mater are scheduling. Don't go-in any bigger than your best competitors.