unpaid D-I football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
genks
Starter
Starter

Re: unpaid D-I football

Post by genks »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:55 pm
unpaid wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:08 am I don’t have any problem with OIA transfer rules as they are.There are always going to be transfers.

In the interest of a level playing field, I do believe that the rules should apply equally to each school and league whether PublicOIA,private ILH, or public-privateBIIF,MIL,KIF.

There would be no more need for lawsuits like the one last year when the Damien RB’s parents Got him into St.Louis,and then sued the ILH to get him to play football. Presumably, because he was a sophomore or older when he transferred between ILH schools.
@unpaid: Did those parents win the lawsuit? I don't know see how they could have; the ILH is legally free to make its own rules regarding how long transfers have to sit-out.
I believe the ended up withdrawing the lawsuit

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

genks wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:31 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:55 pm
unpaid wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:08 am I don’t have any problem with OIA transfer rules as they are.There are always going to be transfers.

In the interest of a level playing field, I do believe that the rules should apply equally to each school and league whether PublicOIA,private ILH, or public-privateBIIF,MIL,KIF.

There would be no more need for lawsuits like the one last year when the Damien RB’s parents Got him into St.Louis,and then sued the ILH to get him to play football. Presumably, because he was a sophomore or older when he transferred between ILH schools.
@unpaid: Did those parents win the lawsuit? I don't know see how they could have; the ILH is legally free to make its own rules regarding how long transfers have to sit-out.
I believe the ended up withdrawing the lawsuit
@genks: Yeah; they probably did that because they determined that they couldn't win. I'm surprised their lawyer even went forward with it in the first place.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Board members have asked ,so here is the best I can find out from the net. I don't remember if Herbig sat out a year. His last year at Kauai high was his sophomore year. The next year,his junior year,he was at St.Louis and was quoted to the effect that Despite falling in the finals,he was going to come back and Help the Crusaders get a state title in his senior year. That's a little ambiguous as the article doesn't mention if he played that year,which would have been his junior year,just that he wanted to win a state title in his senior year. Also, the article Says Cal Lee was impressed by Herbig. Still, that was praise about his football abilities and work ethic . But, his work ethic would have been on display on the football field,which makes it unlikely he could have impressed Coach Cal if he was sitting out that year and couldn't be on the team to show off that work ethic and ability. Don't know on the Herbig transfer in HS.

The Damien RB's parents went to court twice. The first time, they withdrew the lawsuit. Then ,the parents refiled the lawsuit,and took it all the way. The judge ruled against the plaintiffs and in favor of the ILH.The son never played football for St.Louis.

That's the best I could glean from StarAdvertiser,Hawaiiprepworld, and TheGardenIsland sources.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

unpaid wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:27 pm Board members have asked ,so here is the best I can find out from the net. I don't remember if Herbig sat out a year. His last year at Kauai high was his sophomore year. The next year,his junior year,he was at St.Louis and was quoted to the effect that Despite falling in the finals,he was going to come back and Help the Crusaders get a state title in his senior year. That's a little ambiguous as the article doesn't mention if he played that year,which would have been his junior year,just that he wanted to win a state title in his senior year. Also, the article Says Cal Lee was impressed by Herbig. Still, that was praise about his football abilities and work ethic . But, his work ethic would have been on display on the football field,which makes it unlikely he could have impressed Coach Cal if he was sitting out that year and couldn't be on the team to show off that work ethic and ability. Don't know on the Herbig transfer in HS.

The Damien RB's parents went to court twice. The first time, they withdrew the lawsuit. Then ,the parents refiled the lawsuit,and took it all the way. The judge ruled against the plaintiffs and in favor of the ILH.The son never played football for St.Louis.

That's the best I could glean from StarAdvertiser,Hawaiiprepworld, and TheGardenIsland sources.

I was surprised the RB decided to St Louis, knowing they would have to fight the ILH in order for him to play. I’m not familiar with him but I thought I remembered some colleges had interest in him. He should’ve just went to an OIA school and be eligible if that’s situation. Maybe they believed they had an air tight case for his eligibility but it failed the kid in the end. That situation was odd to me.

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

I think they said he lived Kaneohe too. That was a run-first offense compared to St Louis passing attack. Kauhi and Punivai probably coulda been a deadly backfield tandem

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Neighbor wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:13 am I think they said he lived Kaneohe too. That was a run-first offense compared to St Louis passing attack. Kauhi and Punivai probably coulda been a deadly backfield tandem
@Neighbor: You're talking about Castle High, then? (That's Kaneohe's neighborhood school.)

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

Neighbor wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:13 am I think they said he lived Kaneohe too. That was a run-first offense compared to St Louis passing attack. Kauhi and Punivai probably coulda been a deadly backfield tandem
Yeah that would’ve been a great fit. Castle barely even bothered throwing against Moanalua. Too bad. Hope he still gets an opportunity somewhere for college

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:50 pm
Yeah that would’ve been a great fit. Castle barely even bothered throwing against Moanalua. Too bad. Hope he still gets an opportunity somewhere for college
@genks: Castle beat Moanalua by running the ball down their throats, right? If I recall correctly, guys saw that as an upset. Wasn't Moanalua ranked, before that game? But as Castle's O-line kept pushing Moanalua's D-line up and down the field, that D-line was exposed as not being that good after all. If I recall correctly, guys had been talking-up Moanalua's D, until that game. Seems that Castle's O-line simply wore-out Moanalua's D-line.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:59 pm
@genks: Castle beat Moanalua by running the ball down their throats, right? If I recall correctly, guys saw that as an upset. Wasn't Moanalua ranked, before that game? But as Castle's O-line kept pushing Moanalua's D-line up and down the field, that D-line was exposed as not being that good after all. If I recall correctly, guys had been talking-up Moanalua's D, until that game. Seems that Castle's O-line simply wore-out Moanalua's D-line.
Pretty much what happened. Moanalua had Alualu on the line he’s a monster. But they did get worn out. Castle’s defense shut down the Mohs passing game and went three and out all night. Castle stuck to the run and killed it. They took a page from Kahuku and Kesi Ahoy and ran lots out of the wildcat also. Mohs was the 1 seed and Castle the 4 seed I believe. Upset according to the seeding but really most times within the top 4 it’s who’s day is it today.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:09 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:59 pm

Pretty much what happened. Moanalua had Alualu on the line he’s a monster. But they did get worn out. Castle’s defense shut down the Mohs passing game and went three and out all night. Castle stuck to the run and killed it. They took a page from Kahuku and Kesi Ahoy and ran lots out of the wildcat also. Mohs was the 1 seed and Castle the 4 seed I believe. Upset according to the seeding but really most times within the top 4 it’s who’s day is it today.
@genks: Yeah, I remember hearing a lot about Alualu. Is he a senior? If so, who is he playing for next year? You gotta assume a D-lineman that good will be playing college ball.

Dog 96707
High-quality H20 provider

Post by Dog 96707 »

genks wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:16 pm
unpaid wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:27 pm Board members have asked ,so here is the best I can find out from the net. I don't remember if Herbig sat out a year. His last year at Kauai high was his sophomore year. The next year,his junior year,he was at St.Louis and was quoted to the effect that Despite falling in the finals,he was going to come back and Help the Crusaders get a state title in his senior year. That's a little ambiguous as the article doesn't mention if he played that year,which would have been his junior year,just that he wanted to win a state title in his senior year. Also, the article Says Cal Lee was impressed by Herbig. Still, that was praise about his football abilities and work ethic . But, his work ethic would have been on display on the football field,which makes it unlikely he could have impressed Coach Cal if he was sitting out that year and couldn't be on the team to show off that work ethic and ability. Don't know on the Herbig transfer in HS.

I was surprised the RB decided to St Louis, knowing they would have to fight the ILH in order for him to play. I’m not familiar with him but I thought I remembered some colleges had interest in him. He should’ve just went to an OIA school and be eligible if that’s situation. Maybe they believed they had an air tight case for his eligibility but it failed the kid in the end. That situation was odd to me.
Herbig left kaua'i hs after his soph year. He didn't sit out at St. louis, he played his jr and sr year there. if a student athlete transfers from the neighbor islands or mainland they don't need to sit, they can play right away. i believe, this is pertains to both OIA and ILH. Herbig's grandparents live in kahala. His younger brother Nick and cousin Trey Taba also go to st.louis. Herbig is also participating in this weeks NFL combine

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

Dog 96707 wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:13 pm
genks wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:16 pm

Herbig left kaua'i hs after his soph year. He didn't sit out at St. louis, he played his jr and sr year there. if a student athlete transfers from the neighbor islands or mainland they don't need to sit, they can play right away. i believe, this is pertains to both OIA and ILH. Herbig's grandparents live in kahala. His younger brother Nick and cousin Trey Taba also go to st.louis. Herbig is also participating in this weeks NFL combine
Would be great if Herbig ended up a Seahawk

teamhawaii
NBA: L.A. Lakers

Post by teamhawaii »

Markeke wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:49 pm [quote=genks post_id=596737
Do outer island kids need to sit if they go from BIIF or KIF to ILH?
[/quote]

Actually I I think all transfers into the ILH sit for 1 year. (Iosepa,OIA. Herbig,KIF). But I don't know if it applies to a freshman? These are ILH rules. I could see why ILH would enforce it as to equal out the playing field.
[/quote]

KIF and BIIF DOES NOT NEED TO SIT OUT A YEAR. Example: Herbig (Kauai), Luca Vartic (Konawaena), Triston Nichols (Maui) to St. Louis

OIA yes, Example: Slade Mautatia (Kaiser), Jordan Iosefa (Waipahu)

The bigger issue, Is Hawaii boys transferring to the Mainland. Farrington Freshman QB is in Vegas. Bishop Gorman has taken a lot of Hawaii boys. Sol Jay Maiava at St. John. Faoa at Liberty (NV). A lot of them are transferring early as they enter the 9th grade.

With that being said, I would rather have them go OIA-OIA or ILH-OIA than seeing them go mainland.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

teamhawaii wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:27 pm
Markeke wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:49 pm [quote=genks post_id=596737
Do outer island kids need to sit if they go from BIIF or KIF to ILH?
Actually I I think all transfers into the ILH sit for 1 year. (Iosepa,OIA. Herbig,KIF). But I don't know if it applies to a freshman? These are ILH rules. I could see why ILH would enforce it as to equal out the playing field.
[/quote]

KIF and BIIF DOES NOT NEED TO SIT OUT A YEAR. Example: Herbig (Kauai), Luca Vartic (Konawaena), Triston Nichols (Maui) to St. Louis

OIA yes, Example: Slade Mautatia (Kaiser), Jordan Iosefa (Waipahu)

The bigger issue, Is Hawaii boys transferring to the Mainland. Farrington Freshman QB is in Vegas. Bishop Gorman has taken a lot of Hawaii boys. Sol Jay Maiava at St. John. Faoa at Liberty (NV). A lot of them are transferring early as they enter the 9th grade.

With that being said, I would rather have them go OIA-OIA or ILH-OIA than seeing them go mainland.
[/quote]

@teamhawaii from HS Football Fanatic: I agree with your last statement. Better to lose a player to the other league on the island, than to lose him to another state.

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

Why wouldn't a promising player NOT go to a promising mainland program? Especially if they have a couple years of eligibility and the school shows interest in them. Some of these programs are top notch in coaches, facilities, alumni support and college affiliations.