unpaid D-I football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: unpaid D-I football

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:47 pm
gopunahou wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:02 pm Of all the non-conference games against mainland teams, I think Mililani's got the toughest. They lost a ton of seniors and will take on a team with a top-five QB (St. John Bosco). We've got Long Beach Poly, but they ain't the Long Beach Poly of the late '90s/early 2000s. I think Gorman will be a shell of the 2012 team that toyed with St. Louis that year.
@gopunahou: I've often wondered why some schools/coaches want to punish themselves by scheduling extremely tough exhibition games. I mean, I get the idea that to be the best, you have to play the best. But, when it come to a physical sport such as football, you run the risk of injury. If you play a school that's good but not that big, fine. But, how many schools are good without being big? Very few. When it comes to football, in which so much of the game depends on run-blocking, pass-blocking, and tackling, you almost have to be big to be good. I'm pretty OK with Mililani High, so I'd love to see them win the state Open title this coming season. Yes, playing good schools helps tune them for that, but not so much if they suffer injuries in those exhibition games against big, tough schools. If I were York, I wouldn't schedule exhibition games that are any more physically tough than such games that St Louis School or your alma mater are scheduling. Don't go-in any bigger than your best competitors.
I think Mililani scheduled those games against SJB before 2018. They also thought their 2018 team could either hang with those guys or benefit from having played, which likely was the case. However, Mililani ain't returning a great deal of contributors. I think their game against SJB will be as bad as St. Louis's was against them 5 years ago. Based on the returning talent, the way I see it now is 1. St. Louis and 2. Punahou.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

gopunahou wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:16 pm
gopunahou wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:02 pm Of all the non-conference games against mainland teams, I think Mililani's got the toughest. They lost a ton of seniors and will take on a team with a top-five QB (St. John Bosco). We've got Long Beach Poly, but they ain't the Long Beach Poly of the late '90s/early 2000s. I think Gorman will be a shell of the 2012 team that toyed with St. Louis that year.
@gopunahou: I've often wondered why some schools/coaches want to punish themselves by scheduling extremely tough exhibition games. I mean, I get the idea that to be the best, you have to play the best. But, when it come to a physical sport such as football, you run the risk of injury. If you play a school that's good but not that big, fine. But, how many schools are good without being big? Very few. When it comes to football, in which so much of the game depends on run-blocking, pass-blocking, and tackling, you almost have to be big to be good. I'm pretty OK with Mililani High, so I'd love to see them win the state Open title this coming season. Yes, playing good schools helps tune them for that, but not so much if they suffer injuries in those exhibition games against big, tough schools. If I were York, I wouldn't schedule exhibition games that are any more physically tough than such games that St Louis School or your alma mater are scheduling. Don't go-in any bigger than your best competitors.
I think Mililani scheduled those games against SJB before 2018. They also thought their 2018 team could either hang with those guys or benefit from having played, which likely was the case. However, Mililani ain't returning a great deal of contributors. I think their game against SJB will be as bad as St. Louis's was against them 5 years ago. Based on the returning talent, the way I see it now is 1. St. Louis and 2. Punahou.
@gopunahou: That's the thing. Exhibition games against mainland schools have to be scheduled quite a ways in advance. So, I think coaches should under-schedule. By that I mean, try not to schedule mainland schools that are super-strong. Also, I agree that St Louis has to be the favorite to take it all again, and that Punahou is probably ranked second.

teamhawaii
High-quality H20 provider
NBA: L.A. Lakers

Post by teamhawaii »

From what I believe, Bosco vs. Mililani it was a 2 for 2 deal. 1 in California and 1 in Hawaii. Not all, but some teams make this deal which is fair. Skyline & Kahuku made a similar deal in ‘00 and ‘01.

But this Bosco Team is STACKED. As much as I want Mililani to win or make it competitive, this game is going to be a blowout. I think Liberty should be a good game & more competitive.

Don’t know too much Long Beach Poly but Punahou should be able to take care of them. Like usual, they will underestimate Punahou and they will come firing and catch them off guard.

As for St. Louis, they will handle Bishop Gorman like they did Narbonne. This isn’t the same BG team from ‘12-‘17.

Also, heard Kahuku backed out on IMG & Liberty (NV) in the Polynesian Classic

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

Bosco is a nightmare to play against, especially with Mililani not having a returning qb. Mililani scheduling a home and home was an interesting move. More power to them.

Not really familiar with the other mainland teams playing Hawaii, other than name recognition. Liberty got hammered by the Crusaders about 4 years ago, then went and rolled up Mililani I believe. That’s the most recent time one of these teams played a Hawaii team.

I assume BG is still better than Narbonne, this will be an interesting game and I’m pumped for it.

Unpaid probably has some insight on these match ups

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@teamhawaii, genks: See? And this isn't the first time Mililani has "overscheduled," right? gopunahou said Mililani won't be as strong this coming season as they were last season; didn't York see that coming, too? And now they're going to get blown-out by Bosco, and might suffer injuries, in addition. So, Mililani High gets humiliated, which might affect its players psychologically, which might affect how they play in games afterwards, and the alumni get pissed. Plus, the game doesn't even count. York needs to stop biting-off more than he can chew.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Mililani's scheduling is just saying that they would like to become a national power in hs football.

This is the same path that Bobby Bowden began on the collegiate level at FSU in the seventies. FSU had no name recognition back in the late 70's when Bowden got there. They started scheduling home and homes with traditional powers or just doing one offs at a big power school until the program got to the point where Bowden got a couple of national championships. He wound up beating those traditional powers to win those nattys after spending some time getting steamrolled by them early on.

I just think Coach York wants to get Mililani up to where St.Louis,Kahuku,and Punahou have been ranked nationally in hs football. I believe Darren Johnson is trying to do the same at Campbell.

I plan to do a way too early ranking later in spring,so while number crunching isn't complete for D-II, D-I is pretty much done,although transfers and Destinations for the St.Francis elite players could change things....I will say this.....St.Louis has a clear shot at running the table undefeated again this fall. They double up Kahuku,Punahou,and Mililani in terms of talent. The one team that the Crusaders don't quite double up is Campbell.

StLouis is the head and shoulders above everyone else favorite in 2019 as I see it. There is a big drop off to the next tier of teams.Campbell,Punahou,Mililani,and Kahuku seem to me to be fairly evenly matched. So evenly matched at this point that, I could consider them to be 2a,2b,2c,and 2d. That said,I like Campbell at No.2 and Punahou at No.3 right now. I just do not see a big bounce back for Kahuku this fall. They seem to me to have about the same level of talent returning as Campbell, Punahou and Mililani,and therefore could wind up losing 4 or five games again this year.

Bottom line, St.Louis is in a class by themselves in 2019.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

unpaid wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:30 pm Mililani's scheduling is just saying that they would like to become a national power in hs football.

This is the same path that Bobby Bowden began on the collegiate level at FSU in the seventies. FSU had no name recognition back in the late 70's when Bowden got there. They started scheduling home and homes with traditional powers or just doing one offs at a big power school until the program got to the point where Bowden got a couple of national championships. He wound up beating those traditional powers to win those nattys after spending some time getting steamrolled by them early on.

I just think Coach York wants to get Mililani up to where St.Louis,Kahuku,and Punahou have been ranked nationally in hs football. I believe Darren Johnson is trying to do the same at Campbell.

I plan to do a way too early ranking later in spring,so while number crunching isn't complete for D-II, D-I is pretty much done,although transfers and Destinations for the St.Francis elite players could change things....I will say this.....St.Louis has a clear shot at running the table undefeated again this fall. They double up Kahuku,Punahou,and Mililani in terms of talent. The one team that the Crusaders don't quite double up is Campbell.

StLouis is the head and shoulders above everyone else favorite in 2019 as I see it. There is a big drop off to the next tier of teams.Campbell,Punahou,Mililani,and Kahuku seem to me to be fairly evenly matched. So evenly matched at this point that, I could consider them to be 2a,2b,2c,and 2d. That said,I like Campbell at No.2 and Punahou at No.3 right now. I just do not see a big bounce back for Kahuku this fall. They seem to me to have about the same level of talent returning as Campbell, Punahou and Mililani,and therefore could wind up losing 4 or five games again this year.

@unpaid: OK, I get that York wants to elevate Mililani's football status; I suppose any coach would want the same for his team. The question is, though: Does Mililani High have the horses to make such an effort fruitful? I could see this past season, but not the upcoming one. I really think a coach has to be clear-eyed about this. To give a crazy and extreme example, what if Kalaheo High's coach wanted to do the same? Kalaheo High clearly doesn't have the horses to schedule a school like Bosco; in fact, Bosco wouldn't even waste its time. Obviously, Mililani is far better than Kalaheo, but does Mililani realistically stack-up with Bosco? No; at least not for the upcoming season. As a coach, you want your team to aspire to greatness, but you have to be sure you have the horses to compete against a school like Bosco before you schedule them.

I find it interesting that you rank Campbell ahead of Punahou. I mean, I like that; I'd rather have Campbell High than Punahou School any day. But, I had no idea that Campbell had that much talent for the upcoming season. I sure hope you're right; I would love to see them beat Punahou. (Sorry, gopunahou.)

teamhawaii
NBA: L.A. Lakers

Post by teamhawaii »

On paper, This might be one of St. Louis MOST TALENTED TEAMS they ever put out. What Unpaid has said, "they are clearly above everyone else"

The rest is Punahou, Mililani, Campbell & Kahuku battling for 2nd which I do admit, will be entertaining games this year but once they play St. Louis it's going to be a heavy dose of reality.

I do admit Bosco was out of there league in terms of scheduling (even last year when they had Gabriel) but I feel York has a no scared attitude & definitely wants to build a powerhouse. But I respect the fact, that he's making the effort to get his program to the next level and scheduling mainland teams than taking the easier route and playing Division 2 teams.

I'm also interested to see where all the St. Francis players end up. It probably provide a better scale on how teams outlook will be going into the '19 season.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

unpaid wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:30 pm Mililani's scheduling is just saying that they would like to become a national power in hs football.

Are the Atimalala boys leaving Campbell? That would be a huge loss.

I get what you are saying about Mililani and it could work in the future. Bosco is most likely going to be a loss but getting their name out there nationally could attract future players to their team. Even just 1 upset could do big things for Mililani. It’s probably also good for the coaches to see what the top level schools are doing.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:42 pm @teamhawaii, genks: See? And this isn't the first time Mililani has "overscheduled," right? gopunahou said Mililani won't be as strong this coming season as they were last season; didn't York see that coming, too? And now they're going to get blown-out by Bosco, and might suffer injuries, in addition. So, Mililani High gets humiliated, which might affect its players psychologically, which might affect how they play in games afterwards, and the alumni get pissed. Plus, the game doesn't even count. York needs to stop biting-off more than he can chew.
Hopefully there’ll be no injuries, and it’s likely to get ugly. But I think Unpaid is on to something with his FSU example. Imagine if they scored an upset against a nationally ranked team, tgey’d Be the talk of the week and that could go a long way with recognition and attracting players to Mililani (yes we all know their players are not only Mililani residents). More mainland teams would also look their way when scheduling out of conference games. It would also be good for the coaches to see what the top teams are doing.

If we look at the Crusaders, they might be looking to find where they really stand. Max Preps rankings are nice, but let’s be real there are lots of teams ranked under them that can beat them. So they are sort of doing what you suggest, working up rather than starting against #1.

Maybe we will see the same from York next year. I’m sure he doesn’t enjoy getting rolled up either. But this will be the 2nd year in a row that the HS football community will be watching on a national level, thanks to the attention that follows Bosco

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Are you assuming that Koa Eldredge returns? Because if so, he’ll be the 2nd-best receiver that’s coming back and joins an experienced crop of receivers, along with Terrell and Brady. Our defense will lean on Defries-Sarotinen, Henry, Gilman, Tafiti, and Henry. So many people say that St. Louis is head and shoulders above the rest, but I think next year’s squad can give them a game. We might be in the same position Kahuku was in ‘94 and ‘98, where they fielded the two best OIA teams of the 90s and ran into the two best SLS squads ever.

Speaking of Kahuku, I think Mililani is trying to be their primary challenger the way Waianae was for so many years.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:12 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:42 pm @teamhawaii, genks: See? And this isn't the first time Mililani has "overscheduled," right? gopunahou said Mililani won't be as strong this coming season as they were last season; didn't York see that coming, too? And now they're going to get blown-out by Bosco, and might suffer injuries, in addition. So, Mililani High gets humiliated, which might affect its players psychologically, which might affect how they play in games afterwards, and the alumni get pissed. Plus, the game doesn't even count. York needs to stop biting-off more than he can chew.
Hopefully there’ll be no injuries, and it’s likely to get ugly. But I think Unpaid is on to something with his FSU example. Imagine if they scored an upset against a nationally ranked team, tgey’d Be the talk of the week and that could go a long way with recognition and attracting players to Mililani (yes we all know their players are not only Mililani residents). More mainland teams would also look their way when scheduling out of conference games. It would also be good for the coaches to see what the top teams are doing.

If we look at the Crusaders, they might be looking to find where they really stand. Max Preps rankings are nice, but let’s be real there are lots of teams ranked under them that can beat them. So they are sort of doing what you suggest, working up rather than starting against #1.

Maybe we will see the same from York next year. I’m sure he doesn’t enjoy getting rolled up either. But this will be the 2nd year in a row that the HS football community will be watching on a national level, thanks to the attention that follows Bosco
@genks: Yeah, I get what you're saying. But, St Louis is likely to be so dominant this coming season that Mililani has to go in against them without having been blown-out by a school like Bosco ( as that would have a psychological effect on the players), and without critical injuries (I'm assuming that Bosco must be pretty big, physically). I mean, yeah, Mililani is fairly good, so go ahead and schedule a tough mainland team. But, not one as tough as Bosco. I think Mililani should wait just a few years, until they get the same football cred as St Louis. They're almost there, but not quite yet.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:46 am

Are you assuming that Koa Eldredge returns? Because if so, he’ll be the 2nd-best receiver that’s coming back and joins an experienced crop of receivers, along with Terrell and Brady. Our defense will lean on Defries-Sarotinen, Henry, Gilman, Tafiti, and Henry. So many people say that St. Louis is head and shoulders above the rest, but I think next year’s squad can give them a game. We might be in the same position Kahuku was in ‘94 and ‘98, where they fielded the two best OIA teams of the 90s and ran into the two best SLS squads ever.

Speaking of Kahuku, I think Mililani is trying to be their primary challenger the way Waianae was for so many years.
@gopunahou: OK, Punahou might be tough on O. But, St Louis will be equally tough on D, and with DeLaura returning, they'll be tough on O, too. Sure, Punahou might be good enough to upset St Louis one game, but I'd still have to agree with unpaid that St Louis is indeed head and shoulders above all the other schools, at least for now. We have to see how all the transfers to and from the various schools pan-out.

IolaniFanAlum
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by IolaniFanAlum »

Genks, you wouldn’t happen to know a St Louis fan named KickerMVP, would you?

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

IolaniFanAlum wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:52 pm

Genks, you wouldn’t happen to know a St Louis fan named KickerMVP, would you?
No sir