unpaid D-I football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
genks
Starter
Starter

Re: unpaid D-I football

Post by genks »

Markeke wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:58 pm With a team roster of 100, StL.has a lot of bench dwellers. Nothing wrong with transferring out to Mililani because of possible playing time. I just wondering how the administration at a large school like Mililani can balance thing off on the academic side.
Whenever I hear of a player transferring to an OIA school, I always hope that it’s by their choice and not a financial hardship thing. When you have transfers coming out of ILH schools there’s always the added factor of tuition. I myself have had to make tons of sacrifices to pay private school tuition, so did my parents. I also know parents of players that struggle sometimes but they keep things going and keep their kid at STL. I always hope the best for them and if they play at other schools I still cheer them on.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:42 pm
genks wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:37 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:18 pm

@unpaid: OK, but what does that kind of parental behavior teach kids? It teaches kids to be mercenaries. It teaches kids that everything is for sale to the highest bidder, so to speak. I think we need to go back to old-time values, where people do things because they're the right thing to do. Too many people are selling their souls to the devil nowadays. People need to stop seeing high school football players as commodities, I think.
I think YOU look at players like commodities. You are talking about “right thing to do” and being “mercenaries” and “selling souls”. You talk about how you hope player A from PUN transfers to mililani and player B from STL transfers to mililani. I doubt any of that is because you care for that individual student athlete. It’s so PUN and STL can be beaten plain and simple.

How the hell are you going to talk about school loyalty? You don’t support your alma mater, you jumped right off of Kahuku’s fan base as soon as it looked like Mililani was the best OIA team. You have zero loyalty yet a student athlete should show loyalty to a school because his parents bought a home in that district?
@genks: Well, about those Punahou School and St Louis School players who allegedly are considering transferring. Yes, I encourage them to do so, because yes, I want to see Punahou School and St Louis School beaten. But, notice how I'm focusing on the schools. If those potential Punahou and St Louis transfers actually do transfer, there's nothing I can do about it. But, yes, if they do transfer, they will (hopefully) help in my hope of seeing the Puns and Crusaders lose.

You have the wrong take on my notion of players as commodities. When I said that, I was aiming that criticism at parents who have their boys transfer to this school or that based on boosting their college prospects. I wasn't talking about high schools. I'm a UH alumnus, and I have had it up to my keister seeing our blue-chip players going to mainland colleges because they think UH "isn't good enough." See the difference? Here, let me give you an example: Let's say a St Louis player transfers to Mililani High. Do you think he's doing that because his college prospects would then be brighter? I doubt it. I think most guys would agree that St Louis School has a higher standing in football then Mililani High. But, let's say a part-Hawaiian player from Moanalua High transfers to, say, Kamehameha Schools. If he did that solely to boost his prospects for college, then I would call that mercenary. But notice that that has nothing to do with Moanalua High or Kamehameha Schools. I.e., if we're talking about high schools, for me it's solely about seeing schools I dislike, lose. Only when we're talking about "boosting one's stock" for college, would I use the term, "mercenary." As a UH alumnus, UH is the only college I care about, if we're going to talk about college ball. Other than that, my focus is high school. Look at my User Name, "HS Football Fanatic." The "HS" stands for High School.

You're the second guy to needle me for not revealing my high school alma mater. Again, I do that for two reasons: 1.) My high school alma mater sucks. 2.) If I did reveal my alma mater, it would not only hinder my objectivity when I post, but it might identify me personally, which would further hinder my objectivity. I give you credit for revealing your alma mater, St Louis School. I think that takes a certain amount of courage. But, what might have made it a bit easier to do so is that St Louis School doesn't suck. How willing would you have been to reveal your alma mater if it sucked? Then you say I don't support my alma mater. You apparently assume that, simply because I say it sucks. When I say my alma mater sucks, I'm simply stating a fact. But, what you don't know is that I follow my alma mater very closely, and keep track of how it does in sports. See? That's something you didn't know. If I "don't support my alma mater," why would I follow it closely, to see how they do in sports? Why would I care? I love it when my alma mater wins; it makes me feel good inside. Trouble is, they usually don't win. But, I follow them. If I "don't care about my alma mater," why do I feel good when they win? If I "don't care about them," it wouldn't make a difference one way or another. Therefore, I wouldn't even follow them. People get on this thread and jump to conclusions, making all sorts of unwarranted assumptions. I hope this post has helped clear the air. People get on this thread and pound away on the keyboard, thinking they know absolutely everything about other guys on it. To add insult to injury, those people are pretty rude and curt about it, too. Too bad more guys can't be like gopunahou. I can't stand his alma mater, but he has to one of the nicest guys on this message-board. I can't recall the last time he posted anything that I found offensive. He is almost never rude, and I can't recall the last time he called someone out in a way that was very impolite. If you happen to be reading this, gopunahou, your on-line demeanor is an absolute credit to your alma mater. Just by carrying yourself the way you do on-line, I think you bring honor to Punahou School as one of its alumni.
I skimmed because that is way too much crap to read. I DO NOT CARE how you feel about your alma mater. In fact I’ve defended your right to support schools other than your alma mater. But you go and talk about school loyalty, that’s hilarious. You are not loyal, to school, player or otherwise.

You cry about making unwarranted assumptions yet you label kids mercenaries. You aren’t the kid nor are you the parent so why the hell arr you passing judgments? Even worse you suggest that the parents are teaching the kids wrong by doing what they feel is best for their family. I personally know parents of players that are sick and tired of people like you saying the player was ripped off. They make sacrifices, the parent and kid wants to be at STL. But you choose to not be considerate so why should anyone be considerate of you? For a long time I was as respectful as possible and I will continue to do my best to be respectful but you are crying about your feelings being hurt from the very thing that you do. Go ahead and cry about people pounding their keyboard, as you...... pound your keyboard

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

genks wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:27 pm
genks wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:37 pm

I think YOU look at players like commodities. You are talking about “right thing to do” and being “mercenaries” and “selling souls”. You talk about how you hope player A from PUN transfers to mililani and player B from STL transfers to mililani. I doubt any of that is because you care for that individual student athlete. It’s so PUN and STL can be beaten plain and simple.

How the hell are you going to talk about school loyalty? You don’t support your alma mater, you jumped right off of Kahuku’s fan base as soon as it looked like Mililani was the best OIA team. You have zero loyalty yet a student athlete should show loyalty to a school because his parents bought a home in that district?
@genks: Well, about those Punahou School and St Louis School players who allegedly are considering transferring. Yes, I encourage them to do so, because yes, I want to see Punahou School and St Louis School beaten. But, notice how I'm focusing on the schools. If those potential Punahou and St Louis transfers actually do transfer, there's nothing I can do about it. But, yes, if they do transfer, they will (hopefully) help in my hope of seeing the Puns and Crusaders lose.

You have the wrong take on my notion of players as commodities. When I said that, I was aiming that criticism at parents who have their boys transfer to this school or that based on boosting their college prospects. I wasn't talking about high schools. I'm a UH alumnus, and I have had it up to my keister seeing our blue-chip players going to mainland colleges because they think UH "isn't good enough." See the difference? Here, let me give you an example: Let's say a St Louis player transfers to Mililani High. Do you think he's doing that because his college prospects would then be brighter? I doubt it. I think most guys would agree that St Louis School has a higher standing in football then Mililani High. But, let's say a part-Hawaiian player from Moanalua High transfers to, say, Kamehameha Schools. If he did that solely to boost his prospects for college, then I would call that mercenary. But notice that that has nothing to do with Moanalua High or Kamehameha Schools. I.e., if we're talking about high schools, for me it's solely about seeing schools I dislike, lose. Only when we're talking about "boosting one's stock" for college, would I use the term, "mercenary." As a UH alumnus, UH is the only college I care about, if we're going to talk about college ball. Other than that, my focus is high school. Look at my User Name, "HS Football Fanatic." The "HS" stands for High School.

You're the second guy to needle me for not revealing my high school alma mater. Again, I do that for two reasons: 1.) My high school alma mater sucks. 2.) If I did reveal my alma mater, it would not only hinder my objectivity when I post, but it might identify me personally, which would further hinder my objectivity. I give you credit for revealing your alma mater, St Louis School. I think that takes a certain amount of courage. But, what might have made it a bit easier to do so is that St Louis School doesn't suck. How willing would you have been to reveal your alma mater if it sucked? Then you say I don't support my alma mater. You apparently assume that, simply because I say it sucks. When I say my alma mater sucks, I'm simply stating a fact. But, what you don't know is that I follow my alma mater very closely, and keep track of how it does in sports. See? That's something you didn't know. If I "don't support my alma mater," why would I follow it closely, to see how they do in sports? Why would I care? I love it when my alma mater wins; it makes me feel good inside. Trouble is, they usually don't win. But, I follow them. If I "don't care about my alma mater," why do I feel good when they win? If I "don't care about them," it wouldn't make a difference one way or another. Therefore, I wouldn't even follow them. People get on this thread and jump to conclusions, making all sorts of unwarranted assumptions. I hope this post has helped clear the air. People get on this thread and pound away on the keyboard, thinking they know absolutely everything about other guys on it. To add insult to injury, those people are pretty rude and curt about it, too. Too bad more guys can't be like gopunahou. I can't stand his alma mater, but he has to one of the nicest guys on this message-board. I can't recall the last time he posted anything that I found offensive. He is almost never rude, and I can't recall the last time he called someone out in a way that was very impolite. If you happen to be reading this, gopunahou, your on-line demeanor is an absolute credit to your alma mater. Just by carrying yourself the way you do on-line, I think you bring honor to Punahou School as one of its alumni.
I skimmed because that is way too much crap to read. I DO NOT CARE how you feel about your alma mater. In fact I’ve defended your right to support schools other than your alma mater. But you go and talk about school loyalty, that’s hilarious. You are not loyal, to school, player or otherwise.

You cry about making unwarranted assumptions yet you label kids mercenaries. You aren’t the kid nor are you the parent so why the hell arr you passing judgments? Even worse you suggest that the parents are teaching the kids wrong by doing what they feel is best for their family. I personally know parents of players that are sick and tired of people like you saying the player was ripped off. They make sacrifices, the parent and kid wants to be at STL. But you choose to not be considerate so why should anyone be considerate of you? For a long time I was as respectful as possible and I will continue to do my best to be respectful but you are crying about your feelings being hurt from the very thing that you do. Go ahead and cry about people pounding their keyboard, as you...... pound your keyboard
@genks: OK, say you YOU DO NOT CARE about how I feel about my alma mater. Then, why did you say that I didn't care about my alma mater? How is that supposed to make any sense? Why did you even mention it? Further, I have never called your posts, "crap," even though I disagreed with some of them. Apparently because you didn't read the "crap" I posted, you baldly state that I'm "not loyal" to my school. for anyone else who did read my "crap," they will see how ridiculous that claim is. That's what happens when you comment on a post that you haven't even read completely. Further, I don't pound my keyboard; I type quite calmly and collectedly. I think other guys can tell that when they read my posts. And has it ever occurred to you that all parents make sacrifices? Are you trying to imply that only parents of St Louis School students make sacrifices? All parents make sacrifices, one way or another. Finally, tell me how my posts have hurt other guys' feelings. I will defend myself, but I don't go out of my way to offend others. When I post, I try to post in a way that I think gopunahou might, because he rarely offends others on-line. At least, that's my take on him.
Last edited by HS Football Fanatic on Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:40 pm

@genks: OK, say you YOU DO NOT CARE about how I feel about my alma mater. Then, why did you say that I didn't care about my alma mater? How is that supposed to make any sense? Why did you even mention it? Further, I have never called your posts, "crap," even though I disagreed with some of them. Apparently because you didn't read the "crap" I posted, you baldly state that I'm "not loyal" to my school. for anyone else who did read my "crap," they will see how ridiculous that claim is. That's what happens when you comment on a post that you haven't even read completely. Further, I don't pound my keyboard; I type quite calmly and collectively. I think other guys can tell that when they read my posts. And has it ever occurred to you that all parents make sacrifices? Are you trying to imply that only parents of St Louis School students make sacrifices? All parents make sacrifices, one way or another. Finally, tell me how my posts have hurt other guys' feelings. I will defend myself, but I don't go out of my way to offend others. When I post, I try to post in a way that I think gopunahou might, because he rarely offends others on-line. At least, that's my take on him.
You should've seen me here 10 years ago. All because of one user.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Sorry, I corrected a spelling error on my previous post; that's the edit mentioned at the bottom of it. I meant, "collectedly," not "collectively."

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

@genks: OK, say you YOU DO NOT CARE about how I feel about my alma mater. Then, why did you say that I didn't care about my alma mater? How is that supposed to make any sense? Why did you even mention it? Further, I have never called your posts, "crap," even though I disagreed with some of them. Apparently because you didn't read the "crap" I posted, you baldly state that I'm "not loyal" to my school. for anyone else who did read my "crap," they will see how ridiculous that claim is. That's what happens when you comment on a post that you haven't even read completely. Further, I don't pound my keyboard; I type quite calmly and collectedly. I think other guys can tell that when they read my posts. And has it ever occurred to you that all parents make sacrifices? Are you trying to imply that only parents of St Louis School students make sacrifices? All parents make sacrifices, one way or another. Finally, tell me how my posts have hurt other guys' feelings. I will defend myself, but I don't go out of my way to offend others. When I post, I try to post in a way that I think gopunahou might, because he rarely offends others on-line. At least, that's my take on him.
Point out exactly where I implied that only St Louis parent make sacrifices. I personally know St Louis parents that do which is why I specifically mentioned them. I can’t talk about people I don’t know. Obviously pretty much everyone makes sacrifices. But you sit there and call their kids mercenaries and want to hold the kids to a standard that you don’t hold yourself to. Yeah that long post was a bunch of crap, you crying again and again. Anyway I also don’t care if you agree or not, like me or don’t. I came out and said what I said because I see you doing lots of talking about things you know zero about. Good luck in your future, may you live a good life

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

Anyway, about football and transfers. That Muasau did well being thrown into the fire. If he does go to Mililani, that’s a big get for them. He’s a good qb and he’s a big, strong, sturdy guy.

Are the Atimalala bros leaving Campbell? I thought I read that somewhere. It’s odd that so many kids seemed to flock to Campbell, and 2 of their best players would be leaving? That’s 2 starting WRs AND I believe 2 starting DBs.

One good thing for the St Francis kids, most football players have friends on other teams so at least they probably won’t come on to a team and not know anyone. That’s will help them settle in a build chemistry quicker

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

OIA transfer rules seem to be less restrictive than ever. I read a StarAdvertiser article recently in which an OIA admin said they were reviewing transfer rules.

I don't believe they would make things even easier. Neither do I think they would go back to the days of sitting out a year. They might do what the CIF is doing in California. A player can transfer,but the admins can impose anywhere from a one to five game sit-out period. Or maybe even no games would have to be missed.
That QB who transferred to Narbonne from Long Beach Poly last year had to sit out the Gaucho's first five games.

I could see the OIA making a change like that.

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

Can't imagine what a bunch of "primadonna" transfers can do to neighborhood kids that stuck it out for their neighborhood school and coach, only to be told, sorry not this year, grab the coolers and pads.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

unpaid wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:24 am OIA transfer rules seem to be less restrictive than ever. I read a StarAdvertiser article recently in which an OIA admin said they were reviewing transfer rules.

I don't believe they would make things even easier. Neither do I think they would go back to the days of sitting out a year. They might do what the CIF is doing in California. A player can transfer,but the admins can impose anywhere from a one to five game sit-out period. Or maybe even no games would have to be missed.
That QB who transferred to Narbonne from Long Beach Poly last year had to sit out the Gaucho's first five games.

I could see the OIA making a change like that.
I remember in that HPW article about the St Francis kids having to go to new schools, I believe it was Bubba who said “I live in Kahili, my neighbor plays for Mililani so he’s telling me to go there” he kinda putted his neighbor a little, not by name but Mililani is already accused to fielding a team of transfers.

Honestly to me, from an ILH point of view it doesn’t really affect me. Most players don’t want to sit a year unless they transfer from freshman year so not many transfers at the high school level into ILH, more out of ILH. Delaura came at a perfect time. He would’ve sat behind Chevan regardless so it didn’t matter. Players transferring from OIA school to OIA school, I look at 2 ways. As Markeke mentioned, you have the kids that played for their coach or school since however long, then a transfer comes in and takes their spot. But from the coaches standpoint, who may lose his job with a losing record, probably looks at it as competition and best man plays.

Question for the OIA folks here, do you guys see it as a problem? It’s a double edged sword, you may get a great player transfer in, but you may get a great player transfer out. What would you guys like to see as far as OIA transfer rules? The sit a year that Unpaid mentioned? I bet youi’d Have lots of players try the ol’ hardship loophole. What do you think should be done?

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

I don’t have any problem with OIA transfer rules as they are.There are always going to be transfers.

In the interest of a level playing field, I do believe that the rules should apply equally to each school and league whether PublicOIA,private ILH, or public-privateBIIF,MIL,KIF.

There would be no more need for lawsuits like the one last year when the Damien RB’s parents Got him into St.Louis,and then sued the ILH to get him to play football. Presumably, because he was a sophomore or older when he transferred between ILH schools.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

unpaid wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:08 am I don’t have any problem with OIA transfer rules as they are.There are always going to be transfers.

In the interest of a level playing field, I do believe that the rules should apply equally to each school and league whether PublicOIA,private ILH, or public-privateBIIF,MIL,KIF.

There would be no more need for lawsuits like the one last year when the Damien RB’s parents Got him into St.Louis,and then sued the ILH to get him to play football. Presumably, because he was a sophomore or older when he transferred between ILH schools.
Do outer island kids need to sit if they go from BIIF or KIF to ILH?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:37 pm

Point out exactly where I implied that only St Louis parent make sacrifices. I personally know St Louis parents that do which is why I specifically mentioned them. I can’t talk about people I don’t know. Obviously pretty much everyone makes sacrifices. But you sit there and call their kids mercenaries and want to hold the kids to a standard that you don’t hold yourself to. Yeah that long post was a bunch of crap, you crying again and again. Anyway I also don’t care if you agree or not, like me or don’t. I came out and said what I said because I see you doing lots of talking about things you know zero about. Good luck in your future, may you live a good life
@genks: First of all, thanks for the way you ended your post. I may have been mistaken, but I got the overall impression that you were showcasing the parents of St Louis School students as making sacrifices, that their kids could attend that school. Also, I invite others to weigh-in on whether my long post was "a bunch of crap," which, again, is a very unfortunate depiction. I mean, I could see if I had ever called any of your posts "a bunch of crap," but I never have. So, I'd like to have other guys weigh-in on that post. You say I "do lots of talking about things I know zero about." I may not be the oldest guy on this message-board; in fact, I know I'm not. There are a few guys on this board who graduated in the late-'60s; I graduated in the mid-'70s. You might be older than I am; I don't know. But, a guy even my age has seen and learned a lot of things; I'm no spring chicken. Another thing you don't know about me is that I have a family member who's a St Louis alumnus, and I have two friends who are also St Louis alumni. Those two friends are working-class, and they've told me long ago about the sacrifices their parents made to send them to St Louis School. So: Am I still "doing a lot of talking about things I know zero about"? I mean, I could see if I were 18 or 19; I'm not. At my age, I know and have known a lot of people. I hope you also see that, since I personally know three St Louis alumni very well (one of whom is family), perhaps I know a little bit more than zero about what I'm talking about.

Finally, guys can't expect to agree with each other all the time. No two guys agree on everything. Also, I can't say I don't like you, despite your recent posts. I don't even know who you are; all I know you as is, "genks". Having said all that, good wishes to you, too.
Last edited by HS Football Fanatic on Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

[quote=genks post_id=596737
[/quote]

Do outer island kids need to sit if they go from BIIF or KIF to ILH?
[/quote]

Actually I I think all transfers into the ILH sit for 1 year. (Iosepa,OIA. Herbig,KIF). But I don't know if it applies to a freshman? These are ILH rules. I could see why ILH would enforce it as to equal out the playing field.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

unpaid wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:08 am I don’t have any problem with OIA transfer rules as they are.There are always going to be transfers.

@unpaid: Did those parents win the lawsuit? I don't know see how they could have; the ILH is legally free to make its own rules regarding how long transfers have to sit-out.