unpaid D-I football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Re: unpaid D-I football

Post by Markeke »

unpaid wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:59 am Week Eleven,

1.St.Louis 8-0 Crusaders wait to see whether Kamehameha or Punahou is next in two weeks.
2.Punahou 6-2 ILH playoffs next vs. Kamehameha.
3.Mililani 7-2 DNP
4.Moanalua 8-0 OIA playoffs next vs.Castle.
5.Leilehua 8-2 OIA playoffs vs. Waipahu next.
6.Campbell 6-3
7.Kahuku 5-3
8.Iolani 8-2 Raiders wait to see who they get in state D-I tournament.
9.Hilo 6-1
10.Damien 5-4 Beat OIA playoff-bound Castle. Season over.

Kamehameha drops out with the loss to St.Louis.

Unofficial Open Standings,

St.Louis 7-0
Mililani 5-1
Punahou 6-2
Campbell 4-3
Kahuku 4-3
Kamehameha 3-5
Kapolei 1-6
Waianae 1-6
Farrington 1-7
Lol, that was an impressive 56-0 win over Nanakuli that propelled Moanalua and Leileihua above Campbell and Kahuku.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

It always comes down to wins and losses plus timing. I think Moanalua and Leilehua at 8-0,8-2 would stand a chance against Campbell and Kahuku at 6-3,5-3. Moanalua has a better defense than they get credit for,especially that D-line of theirs,QB is solid and has plenty of receivers. Trequan Henderson is a lockdown corner.Leilehua got off to a rocky start but McGary is back and Nichols has more command of the offense.I compare that to the last three weeks and Campbell and Kahuku have been losing and seem to have lost their way on offense.

A team is what its record says it is and Campbell is 6-3 and Kahuku is 5-3. It's easier for me to rank a team higher when they win.It' easier for me to rank a team lower when they lose. No mystery there.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

unpaid wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:05 pm It always comes down to wins and losses plus timing. I think Moanalua and Leilehua at 8-0,8-2 would stand a chance against Campbell and Kahuku at 6-3,5-3. Moanalua has a better defense than they get credit for,especially that D-line of theirs,QB is solid and has plenty of receivers. Trequan Henderson is a lockdown corner.Leilehua got off to a rocky start but McGary is back and Nichols has more command of the offense.I compare that to the last three weeks and Campbell and Kahuku have been losing and seem to have lost their way on offense.

A team is what its record says it is and Campbell is 6-3 and Kahuku is 5-3. It's easier for me to rank a team higher when they win.It' easier for me to rank a team lower when they lose. No mystery there.
This brings up something interesting about rankings when you lump different divisions together.

I completely disagree with the idea that Moanalua would be competitive against Kahuku. Moanalua is benefiting from much better pairings in Div 1 rather than playing Mililani, Kahuku, etc.

Styles make fights, same for football. I think Moanalua could definitely have a competitive game with Campbell because of the style of play, plus Campbell isn’t really a big team size wise. Moanalua is ranked above Kam and Kahuku but I do NOT believe they would be competitive. Both play big boy football, using bigger boys than Moanalua has. Plus unlike Farrington and Waianae, they have the defense to stop a passing offense that’s not a top level offense.

Mixing divisions in rankings gets very tricky. Rankings based on record alone will show teams from lower divisions ranked about upper divisions. But upper divisions have tougher competition. So even a 6-2 team may beat a 8-0 lower div team and it may not really be an upset. Kahuku lost to Campbell, Mililani and St Louis. Moanalua is undefeated because they do not have to play Mililani and St Louis

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

There are only nine Open teams. You need to include the D-I teams to get a big enough pool of teams for a Top Ten. I obviously have not kept the Open teams ranked 1-9 ,leaving 10th to the D-I squad I thought was best each week. There is overlap. I think it reasonable to assume that the top D-II teams could beat some of the lower half of D-I teams ,and that the top D-I teams could beat some of the lower half of Open teams.

Kahuku is weak defensively against the pass,giving up 220 ypg. Moanalua's offensive strength is passing. Now,granted Kahuku can rush for 250-300 yards,but would they against Moanalua? I've said that Moanalua's Dline is underrated ,so we won't know this year,but I think they are at least as good as Campbell's Defense .ADd that Moanalua has a better passing game than Campbell,plus the fact Campbell beat Kahuku 28-27 even though Kahuku gashed the Sabers on the ground for well over200 yards ,that makes me think Moanalua could take Kahuku straight up if they played each other this week.

At the start of the year,I thought that St.Louis,Punahou,Kamehameha,Kahuku,and Mililani could win the Open.
After eleven weeks.there are only three teams I think are in the mix...that would be St.Louis,Punahou,and Mililani. I don't think Campbell has a serious chance to win it,and they just beat Kahuku.Something is different about Kahuku as a program this year and the on the field results have been inconsistent for the Red Raiders so far this season.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

unpaid wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:45 am There are only nine Open teams. You need to include the D-I teams to get a big enough pool of teams for a Top Ten. I obviously have not kept the Open teams ranked 1-9 ,leaving 10th to the D-I squad I thought was best each week. There is overlap. I think it reasonable to assume that the top D-II teams could beat some of the lower half of D-I teams ,and that the top D-I teams could beat some of the lower half of Open teams.

Kahuku is weak defensively against the pass,giving up 220 ypg. Moanalua's offensive strength is passing. Now,granted Kahuku can rush for 250-300 yards,but would they against Moanalua? I've said that Moanalua's Dline is underrated ,so we won't know this year,but I think they are at least as good as Campbell's Defense .ADd that Moanalua has a better passing game than Campbell,plus the fact Campbell beat Kahuku 28-27 even though Kahuku gashed the Sabers on the ground for well over200 yards ,that makes me think Moanalua could take Kahuku straight up if they played each other this week.

At the start of the year,I thought that St.Louis,Punahou,Kamehameha,Kahuku,and Mililani could win the Open.
After eleven weeks.there are only three teams I think are in the mix...that would be St.Louis,Punahou,and Mililani. I don't think Campbell has a serious chance to win it,and they just beat Kahuku.Something is different about Kahuku as a program this year and the on the field results have been inconsistent for the Red Raiders so far this season.
I agree there is overlap in the divisions. Moanalua could probably sit comfortably above Waianae, Farrington, possibly Kapolei.

You said a team is what their record says, and I disagree when you are comparing 2 teams with different schedules. A loss to Waipahu isn’t the same as a loss to St Louis. Different divisions, different levels of competition even within each division.

I don’t think Moanalua beats Kahuku but they won’t play so we won’t know. We can disagree about that game just like we disagreed about you ranking St Louis at like 5.

I’m not saying you can’t ever rank Moanalua above Kahuku or whatever. Scoring Live has Lahainaluna above Moanalua. If we are just looking strictly at wins and losses like how the Max Preps rankings go then it’s fine.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

I should also add that people may be unhappy with Moanalua ranked above Campbell because Campbell just played 2 great games back to back, beating Kahuku and blanking Kapolei, something that my Crusaders could not do. To me, I’m ok with it. Moanalua is playing the best it ever has, is undefeated and is the #1 seed

rrforlifebaby
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by rrforlifebaby »

genks wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:08 pm I should also add that people may be unhappy with Moanalua ranked above Campbell because Campbell just played 2 great games back to back, beating Kahuku and blanking Kapolei, something that my Crusaders could not do. To me, I’m ok with it. Moanalua is playing the best it ever has, is undefeated and is the #1 seed
I agree with mixing D1 and Open teams in the rankings, but "on any given day"......
With that being said, outside of the top 3: Crusaders, Puns and Trojans, it really is a crap shoot. Menehune are playing in a lower Division, but I'm pretty sure this year's squad would be competitive in the Open. Big Red still has issues at every single level on Defense: imho, I think our D line is talented, but just not getting the push we're used to seeing; again, linebackers are talented, but really missing leadership; secondary has athletes, but not as talented as the last several years, and honestly, I think the coaches have not been able to get the kids we do have ready to play...bad angles, miscommunication. D as a whole is just not clicking. Praying for the D coaches and players to figure it out come playoffs.
RRFL!!!

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

Well if we are looking at win/lost record, then St.Francis should be above Moanalua simply because being undefeated and beating opponents by an average of 28 pts. But.......these teams do not play a open schedule with top open teams. The speed and physical play will take it toll. Look at Kahuku. So will Moanalua and Leileihua move up next year? Farrington and Waianae drop down?

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

Markeke wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:31 pm Well if we are looking at win/lost record, then St.Francis should be above Moanalua simply because being undefeated and beating opponents by an average of 28 pts. But.......these teams do not play a open schedule with top open teams. The speed and physical play will take it toll. Look at Kahuku. So will Moanalua and Leileihua move up next year? Farrington and Waianae drop down?
Honestly with the season Waianae and Farrington had I wouldn’t blame them if they did move down. Mililani moves down to win a title and they were in much better shape that year than Farrington and Waianae was this year. Waipahu wrecked Waianae and this is the year Waipahu moved up. You can almost say a team 2 divisions down ran game on Waianae

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Over the recent decades,the OIA has been consistent in using a power ranking system to move teams between divisions every two years. This is the third season of OIA play in the Open Division but only the first year in the Open OIA-ILH Alliance,so based on their past record you would think that some reshuffling is coming along the lines Markeke proposed.

However the OIA promoted and demoted teams between D-I and D-II before this season began,so this only the first year of the current two year cycle. The admins might keep it's Open field of teams as they are now for another year in 2019 ,and then promote/demote before the 2020 season to keep the Two year cycle intact.

Still haven't heard anything in the media about any reshuffling plans.Maybe HRC Paul,or one of the OC-16 media people that used to post here could get the answer to this question?
Last edited by unpaid on Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

I think reshuffling can only happen if a team begs to go down or go up.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

unpaid wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:28 am Over the recent decades,the OIA has been consistent in using a power ranking system to move teams between divisions every two years. This is the third season of OIA play in the Open Division but only the first year in the Open OIA-ILH Alliance,so based on their past record you would think that some reshuffling is coming along the lines Markeke proposed.

However the OIA promoted and demoted teams between D-I and D-II before this season began,so this only the first year of the current two year cycle. The admins might keep it's Open field of teams as they are now for another year in 2019 ,and then promote/demote before the 2020 season to keep the Two year cycle intact.

Still haven't heard anything in the media about any reshuffling plans.Maybe HRC Paul,or one of the OC-16 media people that used to post here could get the answer to this question?
How much say do the teams have in which division they fall into? Can a team ask to drop down or move up?

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

gopunahou wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:27 am I think reshuffling can only happen if a team begs to go down or go up.
Hey, off topic, but did you guys not have a JV team this year?

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

genks wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:09 pm
gopunahou wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:27 am I think reshuffling can only happen if a team begs to go down or go up.
Hey, off topic, but did you guys not have a JV team this year?
I think our “JV” team scrimmaged against lesser teams but that’s it. We’ve only got one freshman playing on the varsity.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

IMHO, the only ILH team that qualifies for D2 is Pac5. In order for the ILH to have 2 teams in the Open championships, ILH Open can add Iolani and Damien. St.Francis is a better fit in D1. In the Open, I think Damien and Iolani could hold up better then Waianae and Farrington. The ILH can only negotiate in the Open rules with more teams in that pot. 5/5, 10 teams,top 4 goes State,all win /lost record count, all cancellations re-scheduled. Yeah,too easy right?