unpaid D-I football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
Hwnoinker
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Re: unpaid D-I football

Post by Hwnoinker »

unpaid wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:55 pm The StarAdvertiser reported shortly after Hurricane Lane passed through that some,not all Open Alliance games would be made up. St.Louis-Mililani was a regular season Open game that would not be made up per this paper.
If the Crusaders meet the Trojans ,it will have to be at Open States.

The problem with the Open Division is that it is still an alliance between two entities,OIA and ILH, that don't always see eye to eye. Right now,if you look at my unofficial Open standings,where I count all the games for record as does the ILH,but not the OIA, the top four are St.Louis,Mililani,Punahou and Kahuku. If we just took the best four Open teams,regardless whether OIA or ILH, and put them into the state tournament, would that not be better than say ,leaving either Punahou or St.Louis out in favor of putting Campbell in just because the OIA gets three into states and the ILH only gets one?
I agree, the top four teams should be in the State tournament regardless if ILH or OIA. You want the best teams being represented. As it stands, either Punahou or Saint Louis, ranked #1 & #2, subsequently both from the ILH, won’t be a participant because of the existing rule.
Now all you OIA fans stop crying. If the top 4 teams were all OIA then that would be okay too!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

Hwnoinker wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:19 am
unpaid wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:55 pm The StarAdvertiser reported shortly after Hurricane Lane passed through that some,not all Open Alliance games would be made up. St.Louis-Mililani was a regular season Open game that would not be made up per this paper.
If the Crusaders meet the Trojans ,it will have to be at Open States.

The problem with the Open Division is that it is still an alliance between two entities,OIA and ILH, that don't always see eye to eye. Right now,if you look at my unofficial Open standings,where I count all the games for record as does the ILH,but not the OIA, the top four are St.Louis,Mililani,Punahou and Kahuku. If we just took the best four Open teams,regardless whether OIA or ILH, and put them into the state tournament, would that not be better than say ,leaving either Punahou or St.Louis out in favor of putting Campbell in just because the OIA gets three into states and the ILH only gets one?
I agree, the top four teams should be in the State tournament regardless if ILH or OIA. You want the best teams being represented. As it stands, either Punahou or Saint Louis, ranked #1 & #2, subsequently both from the ILH, won’t be a participant because of the existing rule.
Now all you OIA fans stop crying. If the top 4 teams were all OIA then that would be okay too!
@Hwnoinker: I don't see St Louis losing again. The only way Punahou can catch them is if QB De Laura gets hurt. Without him, St Louis is at best a Top 5 team. Remember that when De Laura had to sit-out the Kapolei game with a shoulder injury, St Louis won by only 8. So, without De Laura, it follows that Punahou definitely would beat them. Perhaps even Kamehameha could beat them.

ka'ahupahau706
High-quality H20 provider

Post by ka'ahupahau706 »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:34 pm
ka'ahupahau706 wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:22 am Great win by Mililani! I think Kahuku is done this year I don't see them getting pass Saint Louis or Mililani or even Punahou at this point in the season. They are lucky they played Punahou when they did in my opinion. 1st week Punahou and now you can see the improvement. The injuries are playing a big factor for Kahuku more so this year. Along with them changing their offensive game plan midseason, I think it's going to be a struggle. I think Mililani just cleaned up a lot since the Punahou loss. I'm not sure if they are still good enough to beat the ILH's but we'll have to see at the end of the year.
Too bad the ILH is only having 1 team this year. Saint Louis vs Punahou Open State Championship might have been a rowdy title game.

Are they ever going to make up the Saint Louis vs Mililani Game?
@ka'ahupahau706:
1. I think Mililani can beat Punahou, so a St Louis v Mililani game might be rowdier. Punahou seemed to have some trouble stopping Kamehameha's run game, and I think Mililani's Malepeai is a better RB than Kamehameha's Serrao. Mililani's O-line is almost as good as Kamehameha's. Mililani's pass game is just as good as Punahou's, and I think Mililani's run game is slightly better than Punahou's.
2. I doubt that the St Louis v Mililani game will be made up, because it doesn't have a bearing record-wise on either school's regular-season title hopes.
That's a bummer that they don't remake that game. That would be fun to watch, but Mililani lucks out before going into playoffs by keeping everyone healthy. That may be debatable if Mililani can beat Punahou. Punahou won against Mililani by 22, picked off Gabriel 5 times and 2 of them got called back. Passing may be equal, I know according to HPW Punahou leads the Open in Passing by a few yards. As far as running game, both running backs from Punahou has more rushing yards than Mililani. I think it's about even in the grand scheme of things, but Mililani is slightly behind Punahou. Not by much though, that would be a good rematch game to see in Playoffs. But Saint Louis needs to have a healthy QB by playoffs. That is they key right now in about a month when Playoffs all start. Survival of the fittest in the Open

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

ka'ahupahau706 wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:31 am
ka'ahupahau706 wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:22 am Great win by Mililani! I think Kahuku is done this year I don't see them getting pass Saint Louis or Mililani or even Punahou at this point in the season. They are lucky they played Punahou when they did in my opinion. 1st week Punahou and now you can see the improvement. The injuries are playing a big factor for Kahuku more so this year. Along with them changing their offensive game plan midseason, I think it's going to be a struggle. I think Mililani just cleaned up a lot since the Punahou loss. I'm not sure if they are still good enough to beat the ILH's but we'll have to see at the end of the year.
Too bad the ILH is only having 1 team this year. Saint Louis vs Punahou Open State Championship might have been a rowdy title game.

@ka'ahupahau706:
1. I think Mililani can beat Punahou, so a St Louis v Mililani game might be rowdier. Punahou seemed to have some trouble stopping Kamehameha's run game, and I think Mililani's Malepeai is a better RB than Kamehameha's Serrao. Mililani's O-line is almost as good as Kamehameha's. Mililani's pass game is just as good as Punahou's, and I think Mililani's run game is slightly better than Punahou's.
2. I doubt that the St Louis v Mililani game will be made up, because it doesn't have a bearing record-wise on either school's regular-season title hopes.
That's a bummer that they don't remake that game. That would be fun to watch, but Mililani lucks out before going into playoffs by keeping everyone healthy. That may be debatable if Mililani can beat Punahou. Punahou won against Mililani by 22, picked off Gabriel 5 times and 2 of them got called back. Passing may be equal, I know according to HPW Punahou leads the Open in Passing by a few yards. As far as running game, both running backs from Punahou has more rushing yards than Mililani. I think it's about even in the grand scheme of things, but Mililani is slightly behind Punahou. Not by much though, that would be a good rematch game to see in Playoffs. But Saint Louis needs to have a healthy QB by playoffs. That is they key right now in about a month when Playoffs all start. Survival of the fittest in the Open
@ka'ahupahau706: The thing that really sold me on Mililani is that they beat Kahuku by 28. On the other hand, Kahuku beat Punahou by what, 11? Guys say Punahou improved a lot since that game. Well, it seems apparent that Mililani improved a lot since they lost to Punahou. I mean, a school doesn't beat Kahuku by 4 TDs every day. Heck, even St Louis beat Kahuku by less.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

@ka'ahupahau706:
Punahou did the same think that hurt both Mililani and STL, the defense scheme. That was the best pass defense Mililani faced and they failed. Punahou has found some magic in what they have been doing. Multiple ints in the last how many games. In my mind that is what tips things in Punahou’s favor and that’s why I would give the advantage to Punahou in a rematch. Not just because they beat Mililani but also because how.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:25 pm

@ka'ahupahau706:
Punahou did the same think that hurt both Mililani and STL, the defense scheme. That was the best pass defense Mililani faced and they failed. Punahou has found some magic in what they have been doing. Multiple ints in the last how many games. In my mind that is what tips things in Punahou’s favor and that’s why I would give the advantage to Punahou in a rematch. Not just because they beat Mililani but also because how.
@genks: OK, but what about the fact that Mililani beat Kahuku by 28? That was an epic smackdown. Mililani looked impressive on both sides of the ball. I mean, they held Kahuku to 10 points; that's D. I realize, of course, that Punahou is more pass-oriented. Even so, it looked like Mililani's defensive front-seven was getting to Kahuku's QB pretty often. Could they do the same to Punahou QB Brady? Kamehameha's defensive front-seven certainly did. I get that Punahou's O-line might be bigger than Kahuku's, but are they better? Mililani's D was responsible for two of Mililani's 5 TDs, one a pick-six and the other a fumble return. On offense, Mililani's O-line did not allow a single sack, and Mililani has a pass-oriented O, the kind most vulnerable to sacks because the QB is having to hold onto the ball until he finds a receiver. And remember, we're talking about not allowing a sack against a Kahuku defensive front-seven. Mililani's O and D contributed to this rout of Kahuku, and I did a double-take on what I typed just now: A rout of Kahuku. You rarely hear the expression, "A rout of Kahuku." I'm not trying to humiliate Kahuku alumni; I'm just pointing-out the feat that Mililani accomplished that night. It's almost shocking, and the fact that it's shocking is a credit to the quality and consistency of Kahuku's football teams.

rrforlifebaby
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by rrforlifebaby »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:17 pm

@genks: OK, but what about the fact that Mililani beat Kahuku by 28? That was an epic smackdown. Mililani looked impressive on both sides of the ball. I mean, they held Kahuku to 10 points; that's D. I realize, of course, that Punahou is more pass-oriented. Even so, it looked like Mililani's defensive front-seven was getting to Kahuku's QB pretty often. Could they do the same to Punahou QB Brady? Kamehameha's defensive front-seven certainly did. I get that Punahou's O-line might be bigger than Kahuku's, but are they better? Mililani's D was responsible for two of Mililani's 5 TDs, one a pick-six and the other a fumble return. On offense, Mililani's O-line did not allow a single sack, and Mililani has a pass-oriented O, the kind most vulnerable to sacks because the QB is having to hold onto the ball until he finds a receiver. And remember, we're talking about not allowing a sack against a Kahuku defensive front-seven. Mililani's O and D contributed to this rout of Kahuku, and I did a double-take on what I typed just now: A rout of Kahuku. You rarely hear the expression, "A rout of Kahuku." I'm not trying to humiliate Kahuku alumni; I'm just pointing-out the feat that Mililani accomplished that night. It's almost shocking, and the fact that it's shocking is a credit to the quality and consistency of Kahuku's football teams.
No offense taken. No excuses, it was a smack down. Hopefully, it's what Big Red needed to refocus.
Even without DeLaura, Crusaders have plenty of weapons; AND, that Crusader D is more than capable of carrying that team to a title.

Keep on Grinding Big Red!!!
RRFL!!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

rrforlifebaby wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:51 pm

No offense taken. No excuses, it was a smack down. Hopefully, it's what Big Red needed to refocus.
Even without DeLaura, Crusaders have plenty of weapons; AND, that Crusader D is more than capable of carrying that team to a title.

Keep on Grinding Big Red!!!
RRFL!!
@rrforlifebaby: I'll have to disagree about St Louis having "plenty of weapons, even without De Laura." When St Louis played Kapolei, De Laura was out with a shoulder injury. Without him, St Louis beat Kapolei by only 8. Even with St Louis' "plenty of weapons, even without De Laura," they beat Kapolei by only 8. That tells me that without De Laura, St Louis would definitely be beaten by Punahou, and possibly even by Kamehameha. As for Kahuku, well, your alma mater did fall hard. You must have been pissed. Kahuku suddenly wasn't its usual tough self; I don't know what happened. Kahuku alumni must have been groaning throughout the game. Kahuku simply didn't have it on O or D.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

Different match up. Kahuku doesn’t have a quick strike offense that Punahou does. Both Punahou and Mililani are strong in receivers, but Punahou has better DBs and scheme.

When Punahou dropped 8 back into coverage and Liufau spying on Gabriel, he threw picks. Liufau may not be huge but he’s very fast and very smart. He can rush and does so with speed. They got to Gabriel and they can do it again.

Of course Mililani can come with a different plan, but Punahou was so damn effective against both Mililani and STL, 2 very high powered, passing offenses.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:28 pm

Different match up. Kahuku doesn’t have a quick strike offense that Punahou does. Both Punahou and Mililani are strong in receivers, but Punahou has better DBs and scheme.

When Punahou dropped 8 back into coverage and Liufau spying on Gabriel, he threw picks. Liufau may not be huge but he’s very fast and very smart. He can rush and does so with speed. They got to Gabriel and they can do it again.

Of course Mililani can come with a different plan, but Punahou was so damn effective against both Mililani and STL, 2 very high powered, passing offenses.
@genks: OK, but what about last week, when Kamehameha's defensive front-seven was kicking Brady's butt? That Kupono Blake kid was often unstoppable, flowing through Punahou's O-line like water, and blowing-up plays behind the line of scrimmage. If I could, I'd like to see Mililani take-on Punahou with an offensive game plan featuring roughly 60% run plays and 40% pass plays. Punahou's secondary is better against the pass than against the run. Then, let Mililani's O-line and RB Malepeai run the ball a bit more, but still have QB Gabriel pass
almost as often. If Kamehameha RB Serrao can get 130 yards against Punahou, I'd like to think Mililani RB Malepeai can get just as many, especially with Punahou's D having to worry about Mililani's potent pass game as well. Malepeai is also bigger than Serrao; that's another thing.

teamhawaii
NBA: L.A. Lakers

Post by teamhawaii »

There will be an ILH Championship right? If so, I'm positive it will be St. Louis vs. Punahou (unless Kamehameha can pull off an upset, but I don't see it). This should be really fun to watch.

This is probably the most talented Punahou team in a couple years, plus they almost had pulled off a win vs. St. Louis a couple of weeks ago. If not than I'm assuming St. Louis will cruise to states and eventually win it.

In terms of OIA, it's looking like Mililani. They looked good on Friday, but not to take anything away from them but Kahuku looked really bad. Mililani has a great team and should take OIA but I'm not sure if they can win states vs. St. Louis or even Punahou bc their defense is still suspect.

Kahuku should make it to states simply bc OIA has 3 spots and hopefully their big boys can get healthy (Vimahi and Kaniho). Someone on that defense needs take that leadership role that Miki Ah You would bring bc they're playing really flat and dull.

Offense is still trying to find their identity in October, but the problem is their schedule is too competitive with this merger unlike other years where they could get away with it facing the lower tier OIA opponents.

Also, believe me the community is ready to have an uproar. The way Mililani handled them on Homecoming and on their Field, the community is really frustrated. They're keeping a lid on the situation bc it's still a long season but anything short of a State Championship appearance, it's going to explode. If Sterling Carvalho can somehow manage to salvage this season and go to states and win than he should be good, but if not, I definitely could see another coaching change.

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

teamhawaii wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:02 pm There will be an ILH Championship right? If so, I'm positive it will be St. Louis vs. Punahou (unless Kamehameha can pull off an upset, but I don't see it). This should be really fun to watch.

This is probably the most talented Punahou team in a couple years, plus they almost had pulled off a win vs. St. Louis a couple of weeks ago. If not than I'm assuming St. Louis will cruise to states and eventually win it.

In terms of OIA, it's looking like Mililani. They looked good on Friday, but not to take anything away from them but Kahuku looked really bad. Mililani has a great team and should take OIA but I'm not sure if they can win states vs. St. Louis or even Punahou bc their defense is still suspect.

Kahuku should make it to states simply bc OIA has 3 spots and hopefully their big boys can get healthy (Vimahi and Kaniho). Someone on that defense needs take that leadership role that Miki Ah You would bring bc they're playing really flat and dull.

Offense is still trying to find their identity in October, but the problem is their schedule is too competitive with this merger unlike other years where they could get away with it facing the lower tier OIA opponents.

Also, believe me the community is ready to have an uproar. The way Mililani handled them on Homecoming and on their Field, the community is really frustrated. They're keeping a lid on the situation bc it's still a long season but anything short of a State Championship appearance, it's going to explode. If Sterling Carvalho can somehow manage to salvage this season and go to states and win than he should be good, but if not, I definitely could see another coaching change.
I think Kahuku can rebound against the next 3 teams. With Campbell and Farrington, those 2 team will be played after coming off playing St.Louis. Kapolei will be @kahuku. Lol, maybe the streak can start again. But as far as Carvalho salvaging the season, I don't know. Remember, Kahuku had Freitas, a o line coach, AhYat the qb coach and Nate Ilaloa last year. Oh and SolJay. With 3 All State players on the bench,ACL,that does hurt. At this point,one game at a time.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Headliners this week,

No.4 Kahuku and No.7 Campbell,

The way the Sabers lost to Mililani makes me think they are not capable of beating Kahuku. Campbell still has some work to do to get on the same level as St.Louis, Punahou,Mililani,and Kahuku. Kahuku for the win.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

This current Punahou team kind of reminds me of our '08 squad with all of its strengths, completeness, and balance.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

gopunahou wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:15 am This current Punahou team kind of reminds me of our '08 squad with all of its strengths, completeness, and balance.
I alway said that Punahou had the meanest road schedule in the Open, playing all the OIA teams on the road. The lost at Kahuku was against a healthy Kahuku team and the "unknown",new offense. Just so happen Sauvao ran. But Punahou did lead early. Right now in the Top 10, they sit in the right position. Stay healthy against Waianae.