unpaid D-II football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: unpaid D-II football

Post by gopunahou »

This isn't your typical Iolani team. Iolani teams of the past would've beaten Damien around 56-14 last week and put the game away with that 28-0 1st quarter lead.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

Yeah would’ve dusted Damien and still do their best to play in the lowest division possible. I guess it’s like the football equivalent of cutting weight to a lighter weight class

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Didn't there used to be a huge rivalry between Iolani and St. Louis (when Iolani was an all-boys school)?
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

Don’t know, if there was a rivalry that was waaay before I started paying attention

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

genks wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:59 am Don’t know, if there was a rivalry that was waaay before I started paying attention
thanks for answering. Some graduates of both schools say there was.
genks wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:40 pm Yeah would’ve dusted Damien and still do their best to play in the lowest division possible. I guess it’s like the football equivalent of cutting weight to a lighter weight class
Yeah. Unfortunately for Iolani, this might be their worst team since 1995. Their 1993 team and Igber teams would've probably destroyed this year's team, 63-14. I wonder if Coach Look thought THOSE teams were too small to play us, SLS, and KSK (even though Iolani had a winning record against us between 1997 and 2001 and had more all-state players and D1 commits between 1997 and 2004).

On the subject of this year's team, they've caught some fire but can they beat Waipahu, the sharpest team in OIA D2? Waipahu looks almost as dominant as Kaiser did in 2013.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Week Nine,

1.Lahainaluna 7-1
2.Damien 7-1
3.Waipahu 7-0
4.Pearl City 6-2
5.Konawaena 6-2
6.St.Francis 5-3 drop two spots with loss to Iolani.
7.Kaimuki 4-3 drop two spots with loss to Waipahu.
8.Roosevelt 3-3 DNP
9.Kamehameha-Hawaii 6-3 Drop one spot with loss to Konawaena.
10.Waimea 3-2 DNP

Getreal$
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Getreal$ »

At this point of the season you would think two potential DII contenders would be playing better and cutting down mistakes, but the Konawaena/KS Hawaii game was sloppy at best and in no way are they both ready for the playoffs. KS Hawaii had an opportunity to win the game late again, like last years championship game, but the KSH QB once again turned the ball over inside the 15 on a mishandled snap. Both teams better figure it out soon or their playoff hopes will be short lived.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

gopunahou wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:15 am Didn't there used to be a huge rivalry between Iolani and St. Louis (when Iolani was an all-boys school)?
@gopunahou: Iolani first started admitting girls in 1980, I believe. So, prior to that, Iolani's hugest rivalry was with Punahou, just as it is today. Some things don't change. Before 1980, St Louis' hugest rivalry was with Damien.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Headliners this week,

No.2 Damien and No.6 St.Francis.

I like the Monarchs to win this one. The preceding two seasons show that Damien will get the win over St.Francis when it counts. This season reinforces that. Iolani took one from the Saints this year,while Iolani got swept by Damien. Coach Klaneski and his team sweeping Coach Look and his team makes me think Damien gets the win this week.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

unpaid wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:30 pm Headliners this week,

No.2 Damien and No.6 St.Francis.

I like the Monarchs to win this one. The preceding two seasons show that Damien will get the win over St.Francis when it counts. This season reinforces that. Iolani took one from the Saints this year,while Iolani got swept by Damien. Coach Klaneski and his team sweeping Coach Look and his team makes me think Damien gets the win this week.
I agree. I haven’t seen a ton of St Francis or Damien play this year, but it looks like Damien is tighter, offense and defense plays better together. The plays look like they are executed better from Damien. They also seem to be improving this year, despite being the best in D2 last year.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Week Ten,

1.Lahainaluna 8-1
2.Waipahu 8-0
3.Pearl City 6-2 DNP
4.Damien 7-2 Drop two spots with loss to St.Francis.
5.Konawaena 7-2 Hawaii Prep forfeited.
6.St.Francis 6-3 Beat Damien.
7.Kaimuki 5-3
8.Roosevelt 4-3
9.Kamehameha-Hawaii
10.Kauai 4-2 Back in the top ten after beating Waimea.

Waimea drops out. Schedules thin out next week with OIA already in playoff mode and other leagues to follow soon.

To me, the hottest teams right now are Lahainaluna,,Waipahu,and Konawaena.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

Wow did NOT think St Francis would blank Damien

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Headliners this week,

No.2Waipahu and No.8 Roosevelt,

Waipahu is superior on offense. Roosevelt doesn't quit,but I think the Marauders will outman and overpower the Rough Riders.

No.3 Pearl City and No.7 Kaimuki,

The Chargers and Bulldogs both can mix it up on offense.Still believe Pearl City has the better defense which would give them the edge in this game. Can Coach Tautofi come up with the adjustments to beat Pearl City? I think Kaimuki might get the upset this week.Heart over head.

That is the end of ranked teams going head to head this week,but,let me mention the ILH games just for fun. Damien should beat Pac-5. The question is ,can St.Francis get payback with a win over Iolani? I think it is crucial for the Saints to figure a way to beat the Raiders this weekend. If they can manage it,then maybe they have a shot at beating Damien for the D-II championship and getting the ILH D-I berth for states. If Saint Francis can't get the win over Iolani, then I feel like they will finish like they have the past two seasons... They beat Damien once in each of the preceding two years but lost the rubber game that decided the ILH D-II champ and ILH D-II rep in the state tournament. That Saints-Raiders game is going to be interesting.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Week Eleven,

1.Lahainaluna 8-1 DNP Kamehameha-Maui next.
2.Waipahu 9-0
3.Pearl City 7-2
4.Damien 8-2 No.6 St.Francis next.
5.Konawaena 7-2 DNP. No.7 Kamehameha-Hawaii next.
6.St.Francis 7-3
7.Kamehameha-Hawaii 7-3 DNP
8.Kauai 4-2 DNP
9.Kaimuki 5-4 Drops two spots after loss to Pearl City. Season over.
10.Roosevelt 4-4 Drops two places after loss to Waipahu. Season over.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Regarding the D2 state tournament, I hope the committee gives Lahainaluna and Waipahu the top seeds. The way those two teams have played speaks for itself.