unpaid D-II football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Re: unpaid D-II football

Post by unpaid »

Headliners this week,

No.3 Waipahu and No.4 Pearl City.

The Chargers can make this a close game with a physical defense. However,the Marauders have better balance on offense. I think Waipahu wins this one.

No.6 Kamehameha-Hawaii and D-I No.10 Hilo.

Do the Vikings rebound from a loss they probably should not have given up against Konawaena? When your best offensive player gets stuffed,and you don't adjust,I have to wonder about the coaching staff. It's not like Hilo didn't have other options once it was obvious the ground game was being taken away by the Wildcat defense.I still think Hilo will win, but I won't be surprised if they lose.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

unpaid wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:51 pm Final Centennial 14-Radford 12.

The two Radford scoring drives were run first with one or two passes thrown in. The rest of the time, it was pass first with no points to show for the effort. The Ram QB is a better runner than passer,and his most telling passes came on those two scoring ground drives where the completions he made were either moving the chains or scored a TD. It's time to take two of those four receivers and make them a second runner/blocker/ tight end and mix things up to confuse opposing defenses.

Centennial made their points by attacking the Rams wide. The Eagles finally figured it out in the second half. They made their two-point conversion.Radford didn't make their two-point try.

All in all,I have to say it was a close battle against evenly matched squads.I was pleased to see some Ram faithful in black and white in the stands. Go Rams!
@unpaid: I thought Radford was black and red?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

unpaid wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:23 pm Headliners this week,

No.3 Waipahu and No.4 Pearl City.

The Chargers can make this a close game with a physical defense. However,the Marauders have better balance on offense. I think Waipahu wins this one.

No.6 Kamehameha-Hawaii and D-I No.10 Hilo.

Do the Vikings rebound from a loss they probably should not have given up against Konawaena? When your best offensive player gets stuffed,and you don't adjust,I have to wonder about the coaching staff. It's not like Hilo didn't have other options once it was obvious the ground game was being taken away by the Wildcat defense.I still think Hilo will win, but I won't be surprised if they lose.
@unpaid: I think this bears-out my thinking that good coaches make adjustments after halftime. Unless the Hilo QB sucks as a passer.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

HS Football Fanatic,

We are both right. The first class in 1957 voted for the school colors to be black and white. Red started creeping into the uniform as trim as the years went on.Red is so prominent now that most people think the school colors are black and red. I like the unis so red and black it is.

Hilo's QB can throw and the Vikings have some receivers.

Looks interesting in the KIF. All three teams are 3-2. If they wind up with identical league records after three rounds...well...I wouldn't want to figure out how to please all three schools when it comes to determine who will Go to the state tournament.

Getreal$
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Getreal$ »

Kamehameha Hawaii played a tough game using the same game plan and Kona did but as I expected, Hilo has too much weapons (if used properly) on offense besides Huddleston. Huddleston scored four times last night but it was the play of the receivers and defense that was the key to put him in a position to score. They do have QB's that can throw and a group of receivers that can bring it down and run after catch...thats not the problem though. They must clean up the mistakes on special teams and putting themselves in 3rd and long situations due to predictable coaching if they expect to go far, one kid alone can't and won't win at this level.

Next weeks match-up between Kona and KSH will be interesting and worth the drive in from Kona again. KSH secondary will be tested and from what I observed last night, Ewing will have a field day if KSH plays their usual aggressive D with man coverage.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Week Eight,

1.Lahainaluna 6-1 Beat Maui.
2.Damien 6-1 Season sweep of Iolani.
3.Waipahu 6-0 No.5 Kaimuki next.
4.St.Francis 5-2
5.Kaimuki 4-2 No.3 Waipahu next.
6.Pearl City 5-2 Drop two spots after loss to Waipahu.
7.Konawaena 5-2 No.8 Kamehameha-Hawaii next.
8.Kamehameha-Hawaii 6-2 Drop two spots with loss to Hilo.
9.Roosevelt 3-3 Back in the top ten by knocking Kalani out of the rankings this weekend.
10.Waimea 3-2 Back in the top ten by knocking Kapaa out of the rankings this weekend.
Last edited by unpaid on Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

lunatik
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by lunatik »

Lunas played Maui High and won in OT thriller 24-17...now 6-1 for season

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

I stand corrected. Lahainaluna played Maui this weekend and beat them. I have updated this week's standings.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Headliners this week,

No.3 Waipahu and No.5 Kaimuki,

Marauders have a passing attack with several options for the QB to target,and have the better ground game.Bulldogs are no pushovers. They also can sting you on the ground or through the air. Waipahu ,to me executes a little better than Kaimuki on offense. Game goes to Waipahu.

No.7 Konawaena and No.8 Kamehameha-Hawaii.

The Wildcats have erased any concerns I have had about their abilities on defense after beating Hilo. Konawaena has the better offense. Wildcats to win.

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

So Pac Five forfeits. Interesting. How will the ILH state tournament berths work out? Is it just head-to-head records?

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Neighbor wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:54 pm So Pac Five forfeits. Interesting. How will the ILH state tournament berths work out? Is it just head-to-head records?
I wonder if St. Francis's FB team has hurt P5's numbers.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

Getreal$
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Getreal$ »

unpaid wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:13 pm Headliners this week,

No.3 Waipahu and No.5 Kaimuki,

Marauders have a passing attack with several options for the QB to target,and have the better ground game.Bulldogs are no pushovers. They also can sting you on the ground or through the air. Waipahu ,to me executes a little better than Kaimuki on offense. Game goes to Waipahu.

No.7 Konawaena and No.8 Kamehameha-Hawaii.

The Wildcats have erased any concerns I have had about their abilities on defense after beating Hilo. Konawaena has the better offense. Wildcats to win.
I agree with you, Kona should win this game. KSH depends heavily on their defense to create turnovers for scores or give their offense good field position, but against better teams with good offenses and just as good or better defenses, the difference becomes KSH lack of offense as their downfall. Coach Dan Lyons has been vocal about his team being unbeatable even after losing to Hilo. Time to zip up the lips and get to work, Kona is the team in the BIIF that looks unbeatable and is on a mission to prove that.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Neighbor,

There is still some football to be played,but here is my ILH states breakdown.

Open,

St.Louis,Punahou,and Kamehameha have declared for Open. The Crusaders pummeled the Puns and Warriors in the first round. My expectation is that St.Louis will take the second Punahou and Kamehameha games,making a league playoff unnecessary for Open.Crusaders will probably be in Open states

D-I,

Damien and St.Francis have declared for D-I for states.Damien can advance to states by beating St.Francis in their second round matchup. If Damien loses then there would have to be a one game playoff to decide which team goes to D-I states.

D-II,

Iolani and Pac-5 have declared D-II for states.Iolani has beaten Pac-5 in the first round. Pac-5 forfeited next weekend's game against Damien. I am not sure they won't forfeit the second round Iolani game either. Iolani probably will be 2-0 against Pac-5 which would make a playoff game unnecessary. Iolani most likely goes to D-II states in 2017.

JMHO.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Welllp, Iolani beat St Francis 45-29. Iolani's pass game on fire, despite their small O-line. Does St Francis' D-line suck? Perhaps their secondary sucks? Some combination of both? How good is Iolani, anyway? And St Francis has a better record, too. Is Iolani catching fire? Is it too late for them to make a move in the standings?

DA SCOUT
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by DA SCOUT »

We often forget that despite Iolani's size they are a well coached football team . Play them once and your successful the second time will be a battle because of the adjustments the coaching staff makes. They will always be a tuff team no matter who they face . Look what happened second time around vs Damien they made adjustments and at one point looked to have Damien bottled up but Damien is well coached also any time you have a roster of 30 kids that being Damien and Iolani it's all about coaching putting the right kids in the right place to be successful