unpaid D-I football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
genks
Starter
Starter

Re: unpaid D-I football

Post by genks »

Would you really rank Farrington, Leilehua, and Campbell over Kam? I would not. I know we won’t find out, other than the Govs vs Kam preseason. Waianae is also suspect I think.

If Farrington, Campbell and Leilehua played STL like Kam does, there’s a good chance they get blanked and I’m being serious. Score would be high 40’s - high 50’s - 0 or at the very most 7. One TD is generous. Kam gets pounded on by STL and Pun but I’d give them a good chance to beat those guys.

ka'ahupahau706
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by ka'ahupahau706 »

genks wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:52 am Would you really rank Farrington, Leilehua, and Campbell over Kam? I would not. I know we won’t find out, other than the Govs vs Kam preseason. Waianae is also suspect I think.

If Farrington, Campbell and Leilehua played STL like Kam does, there’s a good chance they get blanked and I’m being serious. Score would be high 40’s - high 50’s - 0 or at the very most 7. One TD is generous. Kam gets pounded on by STL and Pun but I’d give them a good chance to beat those guys.
I agree, Kamehameha always gets it from everyone because they get pounded on from the Pun and STL. But if they were to play most OIA teams, it would either be a close contest or they would smash teams. But that's why I think the leagues should really look into merging together. There would be better football being played across the island. Just my opinion, but I'm sure everyone has already said that. I think there would be rivalries renewed or formed. It would be a fun time for Oahu Football. Anyway, tonight's D1 ILH matchup should be interesting.

What offense are we going to see out of the Puns? Big set or spread? New QB or is Barber ready?
Is Kamehameha going to get their first D1 ILH Win in years? We shall see. Goodluck to both teams, stay healthy because whoever moves on to play STL will need all hands on deck.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

ka'ahupahau706 wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:26 am
genks wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:52 am Would you really rank Farrington, Leilehua, and Campbell over Kam? I would not. I know we won’t find out, other than the Govs vs Kam preseason. Waianae is also suspect I think.

I agree, Kamehameha always gets it from everyone because they get pounded on from the Pun and STL. But if they were to play most OIA teams, it would either be a close contest or they would smash teams. But that's why I think the leagues should really look into merging together. There would be better football being played across the island. Just my opinion, but I'm sure everyone has already said that. I think there would be rivalries renewed or formed. It would be a fun time for Oahu Football. Anyway, tonight's D1 ILH matchup should be interesting.

What offense are we going to see out of the Puns? Big set or spread? New QB or is Barber ready?
Is Kamehameha going to get their first D1 ILH Win in years? We shall see. Goodluck to both teams, stay healthy because whoever moves on to play STL will need all hands on deck.
I would also like to have either 1 Oahu league or something similar. But I’m saying this as a STL fan. I can understand how a Kaiser squad who can barely put a full team together wouldn’t want to run into STL who has a huge squad. It’s not really a fair match up. I can see both ways.

But who wouldn’t be interested in seeing STL, Kahuku, Punahou, Kapolei, Kam, Mililani, Waianae all mix it up? Would be awesome.

bandits1
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by bandits1 »

ka'ahupahau706 wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:26 amI agree, Kamehameha always gets it from everyone because they get pounded on from the Pun and STL. But if they were to play most OIA teams, it would either be a close contest or they would smash teams.
If Kam were in the OIA they'd finish the same -- 3rd place AT BEST -- just like in the ILH. Sure they'd likely beat teams like Moanalua and Kailua, but who cares? Kahuku and Mililani would still roll over them. I'd even bet real money that Leilehua and maybe Waianae would be even-steven or better with the Warriors.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

bandits1 wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:21 pm
ka'ahupahau706 wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:26 amI agree, Kamehameha always gets it from everyone because they get pounded on from the Pun and STL. But if they were to play most OIA teams, it would either be a close contest or they would smash teams.
If Kam were in the OIA they'd finish the same -- 3rd place AT BEST -- just like in the ILH. Sure they'd likely beat teams like Moanalua and Kailua, but who cares? Kahuku and Mililani would still roll over them. I'd even bet real money that Leilehua and maybe Waianae would be even-steven or better with the Warriors.
Yeah but finishing 3rd out of 3 and 3rd out of 8 or whatever is 2 different things. Yeah Kahuku and Mililani this year would beat them. Would Mililani have beaten them last year? Not sure. Waianae put up points against Moanalua, Aiea, and Radford. Not convincing. Is Waianae running against Kam? Doubt it. Is Waianae passing against Kam who plays STL and Pun all year long? Doubt it. Kapolei would be a tough game. Leilehua also tough but I think Kam wins.

You say who cares about beating the Moanaluas and Kailuas out there, but take that level of win away from Leilehua then all they accomplished is a 1 pt win over Kapolei. That gives Waianae zero meaningful wins. That gives Kapolei a win over Waianae and Campbell and that’s it. I’m not counting Farrington for this comparison because Kam also beat them.

All I’m saying is it’s easy for people to write Kam off after seeing them get beat all the time. But I watch them live 3 times a year and I’m telling you they aren’t a bad team. They will likely struggle more next year but they are a good team this year. I have a hard time not putting them in the top 10 in the state when Leilehua, Waianae, Campbell, Farrington are in there

bandits1
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by bandits1 »

genks wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:42 pmYeah but finishing 3rd out of 3 and 3rd out of 8 or whatever is 2 different things.
Nope, it's exactly the same. 3rd place is 3rd place, and 3rd place = also-ran regardless of league. Unless you have some kind of emotional attachment to a particular school, it doesn't really matter who came in 3rd or even 2nd place in ILH league play. Little bit different for the OIA since top 3 teams make the state tourney.
genks wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:42 pmYeah Kahuku and Mililani this year would beat them. Would Mililani have beaten them last year? Not sure. Waianae put up points against Moanalua, Aiea, and Radford. Not convincing. Is Waianae running against Kam? Doubt it. Is Waianae passing against Kam who plays STL and Pun all year long? Doubt it. Kapolei would be a tough game. Leilehua also tough but I think Kam wins.

You say who cares about beating the Moanaluas and Kailuas out there, but take that level of win away from Leilehua then all they accomplished is a 1 pt win over Kapolei. That gives Waianae zero meaningful wins. That gives Kapolei a win over Waianae and Campbell and that’s it. I’m not counting Farrington for this comparison because Kam also beat them.

All I’m saying is it’s easy for people to write Kam off after seeing them get beat all the time. But I watch them live 3 times a year and I’m telling you they aren’t a bad team. They will likely struggle more next year but they are a good team this year. I have a hard time not putting them in the top 10 in the state when Leilehua, Waianae, Campbell, Farrington are in there
If the ILH were a 14-team league like the OIA D1, I'm absolutely sure they'd have scrubs at the bottom half of their standings just like the OIA does. My point about Moanalua and Kailua and rest of the "mid-majors" or whatever you want to call them is you guessing Kam would beat them just as Leilehua has doesn't matter. Those are the games you're supposed to win if you want to establish yourself as a possible contender...and then all you have to do is beat the Kahukus and the Mililanis or whoever the best public school teams are that particular season in the OIA.

And whether or not Mililani would've beat Kam last season doesn't matter either, because my other point wasn't Mililani vs Kam, it was I don't think Kam being able to beat whoever is the 2nd best OIA team is from season-to-season is foregone conclusion. Just because they play in an ultra-competitive 3-team league doesn't necessarily mean they're always the 3rd or 4th best team in the state. I've seen Kam look pretty vulnerable some seasons. Sure, competitive losses vs St. Louis and Punahou gives some hope for Kam fans, but they're still losses. There's no W/L column for moral victories in D1 sports.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

3rd place out of 10 or 3rd out of 3 obviously does matter in rankings which is what I was talking about. The poster I was replying had Kam ranked below Campbell, assuming because of wins/losses. Campbell won Kam 4 straight losses. If you are 3rd out of 3 it’s hard to get wins when you can’t beat the only 2 other teams in your division.

My point was not saying Kam would be automatic 3rd or 4th team in the state. You said Leilehua and maybe Waianae beats Kam and I disagree.

By bringing up the fact that Kam plays in a very tough 3 team league, all I was trying to say was someone has posted their opinion, which was Kam isn’t top 10 but Waianae, Campbell, Leilehua and Farrington are. My opinion is I think Kam is better than some of those teams so to me Kam would be too 10. No idea what you talking about with moral victories. I used Kam’s loses as the only way possible to compare them to OIA teams. Maybe Kam gets killed by Moanalua. Maybe Kam kills Kahuku. We won’t find out.

“Supposed to win” is what doesn’t mean anything. Lots of teams supposed to win but don’t or supposed to win and get higher rankings because of those wins.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

Syracuse beats Clemson, upset in the air tonight. Who will fall? Kahuku? Mililani? Punahou? One of those 3 will fall you read it here first. It’s Friday the 13th boys!

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

genks wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:34 pm Syracuse beats Clemson, upset in the air tonight. Who will fall? Kahuku? Mililani? Punahou? One of those 3 will fall you read it here first. It’s Friday the 13th boys!
If it makes Kapolei fans feel better, this is the 10 year anniversary of their upset of Kahuku at Kahuku’s house.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

Another upset coming Cal over Wash State, it’s in the air!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

@genks: Agree. Kamehameha already beat Farrington in preseason, so Kamehameha stays ahead of Farrington. Between Campbell and Leilehua, I think Leilehua is a little stronger. But, I agree that Kamehameha can beat both. Kamehameha's D is solid, especially against the run. Meanwhile, Kamehameha's O has a big line, a QB who can throw well, and an RB who can run well.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@ka'ahupahau: Really, I think the Kamehameha v Punahou game is meaningless, because whoever wins will lose to St Louis. I.e., even the winner of the Kamehameha v Punahou game isn't going anywhere.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

genks wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:15 pm Another upset coming Cal over Wash State, it’s in the air!
Yay Kanawai and Semisi!
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:28 pm

@ka'ahupahau: Really, I think the Kamehameha v Punahou game is meaningless, because whoever wins will lose to St Louis. I.e., even the winner of the Kamehameha v Punahou game isn't going anywhere.
Probably true. If we can't win the ILH, I likely would rather take a close loss to KSK than a beating from SLS. Let SLS (who'll benefit from a bye week) destroy KSK.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:34 pm Syracuse beats Clemson, upset in the air tonight. Who will fall? Kahuku? Mililani? Punahou? One of those 3 will fall you read it here first. It’s Friday the 13th boys!
@genks: You really believe that Friday the 13th stuff? I don't. If you ask me, if a team is going to score an upset, it has nothing to do with superstition. Of the three schools you mentioned, if I had to pick one to be upset, it would probably be Punahou. Punahou has been having problems on O, whereas Kamehameha has been looking pretty decent on both O and D. As for Mililani, I don't see any way Moanalua beats them. Mililani is simply too much for Moanalua, especially on O. Kahuku could conceivably be upset, primarily because they don't seem to have a consistent pass game, and, Kapolei is pretty stout on the D-line. But, I get the impression that Punahou is more likely to be upset by Kamehameha than Kahuku is to be upset by Kapolei.