unpaid D-I football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: unpaid D-I football

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

unpaid wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:23 pm Headliners this week,

No.1 St.Louis and No.4 Punahou.

Unless Punahou self-destructs with turnovers,this should be a close game.For the third year in a row,Punahou has more quality returning than St.Louis. Still,the Crusaders are looking to three-peat as ILH champions.The Puns are going to have to beat the Crusaders for the ILH championship to make me a believer. Picking St.Louis for the win.
@unpaid: Yeah, I'm still going with St Louis, but I'm beginning to wonder whether my original spread of 10 to 14 points might be too generous. Could the game possibly be as close as St Louis by 7 to 10? On paper, I suppose Punahou is really close to St Louis in terms of talent, experience, size, etc. But, it seems to me that St Louis' pass game is too much of a smooth, well-oiled juggernaut. St Louis has been passing every team silly thus far. And, their D has been lights-out. I think especially of their LBs, though I heard one of them transferred. And what about St Louis' run game? I heard they have a couple of fairly decent RBs. If they do, those RBs can help keep Punahou's D honest. How are Punahou's DEs? I heard Kamehameha has one of the best DEs in the state, Kahahawai-Welch. Yet St Louis' O still hung some 35 points on Kamehameha's D. (Wasn't one TD a pick-six?) Another thing I find mysterious is that scoringlive has Punahou ranked #4, behind #2 Kahuku and #3 Mililani. The way guys are talking, you'd think Punahou were #2. OK, I guess I'd better go St Louis by 7 to 10, though I get the feeling that they'll win by at least 10.
Last edited by HS Football Fanatic on Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

Last 2 years both teams had lot of talent. People count returning starters, D1 offers, etc. but people rarely bring up coaches. Last year people didn't think STL would repeat for the ILH title, definitely didn't look good on paper against Kahuku for the state title. I'm a huge believer in Coach Cal, Coach Ron and the rest of the staff. The next 2 weeks of Crusader football is very exciting, first Pun game of the season, then Narbonne. This is always a great match up. Hopefully the Crusaders can keep the train rolling.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:49 pm Last 2 years both teams had lot of talent. People count returning starters, D1 offers, etc. but people rarely bring up coaches. Last year people didn't think STL would repeat for the ILH title, definitely didn't look good on paper against Kahuku for the state title. I'm a huge believer in Coach Cal, Coach Ron and the rest of the staff. The next 2 weeks of Crusader football is very exciting, first Pun game of the season, then Narbonne. This is always a great match up. Hopefully the Crusaders can keep the train rolling.
@genks: Glad you brought-up coaching. I've long been of the opinion that if a school truly has a strong combination of talent, size, and experience, then any coach worth his salt can go far with them. I guess if I had to name the best high-school football coach in the state, it would be St Louis' Cal. But then again, I think Punahou's Ane is a pretty good coach himself. I.e., I think the quality of a school's players is more important than the quality of the coach. I think most high-school coaches aren't so bad that they would grossly misuse or mis-assign their players. There may be something of a parallel here with high-school bowling. I know one high-school here on Oahu that had a bowling coach some twelve years ago that knew relatively little about the sport, yet his players were so good that year that they did very well. Obviously, a football team needs more coaching than a bowling team, but the aforementioned example entered my mind, and reinforced my suspicion that if a school has really good football players, it's hard for any even fairly competent coach to sabotage that, especially when you consider that a football coach has assistant coaches who might be pretty talented at whichever part of the team they are coaching (QBs, OC, DC, LBs, O-line, D-line, whatever).
Last edited by HS Football Fanatic on Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:17 pm, edited 5 times in total.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:36 pm
unpaid wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:23 pm Headliners this week,

No.1 St.Louis and No.4 Punahou.

Unless Punahou self-destructs with turnovers,this should be a close game.For the third year in a row,Punahou has more quality returning than St.Louis. Still,the Crusaders are looking to three-peat as ILH champions.The Puns are going to have to beat the Crusaders for the ILH championship to make me a believer. Picking St.Louis for the win.
@unpaid: Yeah, I'm still going with St Louis, but I'm beginning to wonder whether my original spread of 10 to 14 points might be too generous. Could the game possibly be as close as St Louis by 7 to 10? On paper, I suppose Punahou is really close to St Louis in terms of talent, experience, size, etc. But, it seems to me that St Louis' pass game is too much of a smooth, well-oiled juggernaut. St Louis has been passing every team silly thus far. And, their D has been lights-out. I think especially of their LBs, though I heard one of them transferred. And what about St Louis' run game? I heard they have a couple of fairly decent RBs. If they do, those RBs can help keep Punahou's D honest. How are Punahou's DEs? I heard Kamehameha has one of the best DEs in the state, Kahahawai-Welch. Yet St Louis' O still hung some 35 points on Kamehameha's D. (Wasn't one TD a pick-six?) OK, I guess I'd better go St Louis by 7 to 10, though I get the feeling that they'll win by at least 10.
The LB that transferred is Dylan Toilolo. Great player, did great against Kahuku. Unfortunately we lost him to Kapolei.

The pick almost made it but he got stopped juuuust a tad short from 6 points.

They have been more balanced so far this year with runs and passing. Good to see them working on it in the games. Kam completely blew up a couple of run plays. Credit to Coach Maafala

One thing for STL people to be excited is the backup QB Bonner. Chevan has been pulled at about the 3rd quarter in our 3 games so far, and Bonner has come in and scored with great passing in all 3 games.

@HS so this game I'll be more accurate in saying Tufaga is flying all over the field lol.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Somebody asked if a STL WR can't play. I know Isaiah Feary (a defensive player) can't play because of his ejection against Kamehameha.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:25 pm Somebody asked if a STL WR can't play. I know Isaiah Feary (a defensive player) can't play because of his ejection against Kamehameha.
@gopunahou: I hadn't even heard about that. How good is this Feary guy? Is he a starter? I don't recognize his name. Anyway, if he can't play, so much the better for your alma mater. Why would a St Louis player want to play dirty when his team won, 44-0? Did a Kamehameha player get under his skin? I bet Cal was ticked-off at Feary, either way. And this St Louis receiver, now. St Louis is a pass-oriented team, and they can't afford to lose receivers when playing a team like Punahou. So, did St Louis have two players ejected? If such is the case, these two players should have known better, seeing as St Louis would be playing Punahou next. If that receiver is a starter, Cal must be beside himself. Teams and players can't be screwing-up when they're playing Punahou next.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

The receiver in question is probably Sykes, he injured his shoulder or arm against Waianae. He caught a TD pass from the backup qb against Kam.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

I didn't see the whole thing, but what I saw was a lot of shoving after the whistle, Kam player looked like he had Feary by the face mask, shoving went from pads to head level. Not 100% sure is Feary is completely to blame, but only he got ejected. Team mates seemed very upset at the call. I assume they would recognize if their teammate was completely out of line and deserved to be ejected.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

I think the 2017 Punahou-St.Louis series comes down to the coaching.The past two seasons Coach Ane has come up with a game plan to defeat Coach Lee once during the ILH double round-robin in the regular season. To me,Punahou's problem is that Coach Ane hasn't come up with a game plan to beat St.Louis in the rubber match in the ILH playoffs.

I feel Like Coach Lee is better in terms of follow-through effort every week, whereas maybe Coach Ane tries to repeat the thing that worked to get the win instead of trying to think how St.Louis would adjust and then anticipate Coach Lee's adjustments. I know it sounds a little obsessive, but I think that is the reality in a three team league where you play the same two opponents at least two times a year.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:57 pm The receiver in question is probably Sykes, he injured his shoulder or arm against Waianae. He caught a TD pass from the backup qb against Kam.
@genks: Oh, OK, it was an injury, not an infraction. But if he played against Kamehameha, perhaps he can play against Punahou, if he's needed?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:07 pm I didn't see the whole thing, but what I saw was a lot of shoving after the whistle, Kam player looked like he had Feary by the face mask, shoving went from pads to head level. Not 100% sure is Feary is completely to blame, but only he got ejected. Team mates seemed very upset at the call. I assume they would recognize if their teammate was completely out of line and deserved to be ejected.
@genks: OK, but how good is Feary? Is he a starter? Reserve?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

unpaid wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:21 pm I think the 2017 Punahou-St.Louis series comes down to the coaching.The past two seasons Coach Ane has come up with a game plan to defeat Coach Lee once during the ILH double round-robin in the regular season. To me,Punahou's problem is that Coach Ane hasn't come up with a game plan to beat St.Louis in the rubber match in the ILH playoffs.

I feel Like Coach Lee is better in terms of follow-through effort every week, whereas maybe Coach Ane tries to repeat the thing that worked to get the win instead of trying to think how St.Louis would adjust and then anticipate Coach Lee's adjustments. I know it sounds a little obsessive, but I think that is the reality in a three team league where you play the same two opponents at least two times a year.
@unpaid: What I've been hearing for the last ten years or so is that a good football coach will make adjustments after halftime. I've also heard that Cal is well-known for making adjustments after halftime. I don't know about Ane.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

@HS I'm not 100% sure but I think Sykes should be healthy enough to play. I doubt they'd risk it against if not against Kam.

Feary is a starter. The STL LB group always surprises me. Last year against Kahuku Isaac Matautia goes down, Purcel goes down, Braden Myer steps up and stops runs with an injured leg. This year Toilolo left, Kamakawiwaole (sp?) has looked tough and stepped up along with Purcel and Taliulu. Not sure who the next man up is but he's got a great group around him.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

unpaid wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:21 pm I think the 2017 Punahou-St.Louis series comes down to the coaching.The past two seasons Coach Ane has come up with a game plan to defeat Coach Lee once during the ILH double round-robin in the regular season. To me,Punahou's problem is that Coach Ane hasn't come up with a game plan to beat St.Louis in the rubber match in the ILH playoffs.

Agree 100%. You can literally see the changes from game to game. I guess that's what happens when 2 coaches play each other so often. Great respect to Coach Ane but I believe Coach Cal is one step ahead of him. Both come up with changes that make dramatic differences. It does feel a little like Coach Ane sometimes waits to see what Coach Cal does, while Coach Cal is setting up his next move.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:45 pm @HS I'm not 100% sure but I think Sykes should be healthy enough to play. I doubt they'd risk it against if not against Kam.

Feary is a starter. The STL LB group always surprises me. Last year against Kahuku Isaac Matautia goes down, Purcel goes down, Braden Myer steps up and stops runs with an injured leg. This year Toilolo left, Kamakawiwaole (sp?) has looked tough and stepped up along with Purcel and Taliulu. Not sure who the next man up is but he's got a great group around him.
@genks: The LBs were supposed to be the strongest component of St Louis' D this year. You'd think they'd all be sure to make themselves available against Punahou. OK, it's hard sometimes for kids to keep their emotions under control, but I wish Feary would have realized--even in the heat of the moment--that as a starting LB, he really has to be sure that he's playing against Punahou. I don't know at what point during the Kamehameha game Feary's scuffle occurred, but St Louis won by 44. Like, with that kind of outcome, did he think it was absolutely necessary to get himself ejected, and thereby miss the Punahou game? You'd think Feary wanted to play against Punahou, and I'm sure Cal and St Louis alumni wanted him to play, too. The only people happy about his suspension are Punahou alumni, and Punahou's football O.