unpaid D-I football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: unpaid D-I football

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

gopunahou wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:20 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:43 pm
gopunahou wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:57 pm Kahuku playing sluggish. Maiava limping, but you can bet that Kahuku hasn’t got a backup who can save them. I also wonder if the Mililani game is taking a toll.
@gopunahou: Don't you think it's kind of stupid that Kahuku HC Freitas is playing Maiava if he's limping? I mean, heck: He's injured. Let backup Alapa play. They could probably still win without him, even though the game is kind of close right now. Speaking of tolls taken the last game, someone on ScoringLive posted that Mililani is somewhat banged-up too, and they play St Louis tonight. Good luck to them. And, speaking of Mililani: You picked them to win? Saw your post on the "Pick 'em" thread.
I'm hoping that they do and believe they can at least give SLS a challenge.
@gopunahou: Oh, I'm sure they'd give them a challenge, but beat them? I mean, after how close Waianae came to beating Kahuku tonight, who knows. But, it seems to me that St Louis' high-octane pass game and strong D will make it difficult for Mililani to pull it off. To be honest, I would like to see St Louis win, but not because I like St Louis. It's just that I'd rather have them than Mililani.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:28 pm@gopunahou: Oh, I'm sure they'd give them a challenge, but beat them? I mean, after how close Waianae came to beating Kahuku tonight, who knows. But, it seems to me that St Louis' high-octane pass game and strong D will make it difficult for Mililani to pull it off. To be honest, I would like to see St Louis win, but not because I like St Louis. It's just that I'd rather have them than Mililani.
I know it's tempting to cheer against Mililani since York has got an 'Iolani affiliation (thanks Infidel) but I'd rather see them win instead of St. Louis. Regarding the Kahuku-Waianae game, I applaud Waianae's effort. They made it look like a classic Waianae-Kahuku battle and gave Kahuku a better challenge than Kamehameha or we would have.

I also think this is one of the few times where a OIA final rematch in the state championship game would be a treat (2006 and 2009 are other years where it would've been).
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

reignjah11
Hall of famer
Hall of famer
MLB: Boston Red Sox
NBA: Dallas Mavericks
NFL: New England Patriots

Post by reignjah11 »

Wow, St Louis is just on another level! That Mitchell Quinn is unstoppable!

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

So..... “best offense in the state” check

Next game is against the best defense in the state?

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

I hope Kahuku can pull it off, but that's a tall order. I like watching St. Louis win as much as I like hearing narcissistic conservatives brag about Trump or women fawn over OJ Simpson. This world needs another run of state championships from St. Louis as much as it needs another run of D2 championships from Iolani or another president like Trump.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

One thing we reeeaaallly need to clean up is all those damn penalties. We marched Mililani over half way down the field a few times and it was very frustrating to watch

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Week Fifteen,

1.St.Louis 9-0 beat Mililani. Kahuku next for the Open title.
2.Kahuku 11-1 beat Waianae. Crusaders next.
3.Mililani 10-2 drops one spot with loss to St.Louis. Season over.
4.Waianae 7-5 SO
5.Campbell 6-4 SO
6.Leilehua 6-3 SO
7.Kamehameha 4-5 SO
8.Punahou 5-3 SO
9.Hilo 9-1 Damien next for the D-I title.
10.Kapolei 5-5 Season over.

Still trying to figure out the Open division.Kahuku seemed very beatable last night. St.Louis doesn't seem to need a ground game as long as they pass as well as they do,and you get enough scrambling by the QB.I don't think they get too concerned about the opponent's offense. The Crusaders really clamped down on Mililani's air and rushing schemes in the second half last night.

I think Kahuku is going to have to put up 37 points to win the title game.I am not sure they can do it,if they come out on offense like they did last night. Kahuku D should be OK.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Missed the St Louis vs Mililani game, but the Kahuku vs Waianae game was a bruiser with tons of turnovers and penalties from both teams. Kahuku's defense vs St Louis' offense coming up.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:33 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:28 pm@gopunahou: Oh, I'm sure they'd give them a challenge, but beat them? I mean, after how close Waianae came to beating Kahuku tonight, who knows. But, it seems to me that St Louis' high-octane pass game and strong D will make it difficult for Mililani to pull it off. To be honest, I would like to see St Louis win, but not because I like St Louis. It's just that I'd rather have them than Mililani.
I know it's tempting to cheer against Mililani since York has got an 'Iolani affiliation (thanks Infidel) but I'd rather see them win instead of St. Louis. Regarding the Kahuku-Waianae game, I applaud Waianae's effort. They made it look like a classic Waianae-Kahuku battle and gave Kahuku a better challenge than Kamehameha or we would have.

I also think this is one of the few times where a OIA final rematch in the state championship game would be a treat (2006 and 2009 are other years where it would've been).
@gopunahou: I wouldn't be so certain that Punahou or Kamehameha wouldn't have given Kahuku more of a challenge than Waianae did. What kept Waianae in the game was outstanding D. But, on balance, I think Kamehameha's D and Punahou's D are just as good as Waianae's D. However, Waianae's O is one-dimensional, run-heavy. Kamehameha has a more-balanced O; they can run and pass. Punahou's O is pretty pass-heavy, but they can run a little.

Regarding my preference for St Louis (against Mililani): For me, it's not about York at all. Yes, I don't care for his alma mater, Iolani. But, he's coaching for Mililani, not Iolani. I guess what turned me off about Mililani is that they had already won two championships within the space of a week: State large-division cheerleading, and OIA JV D1 softball. Also, I kind of resented that their football team has stripes on their pants, and the players' names on the back of the jerseys, while St Louis has neither. As you can see, for me, it had nothing to do with York. In fact, I'm more supportive of York than St Louis HC Cal, because Cal has already experienced decades of football coaching glory, while York hasn't. My whole mentality when rooting for one school or another, is based on which school seems to be have less of something, whatever it happens to be. I don't particularly like St Louis, but all the things I mentioned in this post made me want to support them against Mililani.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

reignjah11 wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:40 pm Wow, St Louis is just on another level! That Mitchell Quinn is unstoppable!
@reignjah11: Yeah; the thing that's scary about him is his speed. He should join St Louis' track team.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:13 pm So..... “best offense in the state” check

Next game is against the best defense in the state?
@genks: I don't know that Kahuku's D is the best in the state. St Louis' D has some very scary people. I think their front-seven is very scary. I am rooting for Kahuku, but as good as their D is, I'm starting to think that St Louis' D is just as good, honestly. Kahuku's O-line had better be mentally determined to kick butt; they had better have a vicious mentality going into that game. They need to play as though they have something to prove to St Louis' front-seven. Does Kahuku's O have huge blocking backs? If so, they would really come in handy, too. Kahuku could use such blocking backs to help clean-out St Louis' LBs.

soleu
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by soleu »

Sorry but I have tons of questions after that Kahuku game. What was up with the Kahuku gameplan yesterday? Of all the schools in the state, Kahuku should be the last team to shy away from the run. QB left the last game on crutches but he's still called on to carry a bulk of the workload. Multiple bad snaps but they still insist on nothing under center. 3 for 21 in the 1st half but they still come out and throw the ball in 4 WR sets? QB gets hurt, they bring him back in to carry the load again?

Wasn't this the same team that won a state title 2 years ago by taking the QB position away? You couldn't do that again for one game to let the stud QB rest for a bigger opponent?

As for the STL game, how many times does Mililani's defense have to be burned in an all out blitz until they learn? Both of Kahuku's TDs and the end of the half last week, and nearly all of Quinn's TDs were the same thing. STL looking like a well oiled machine after shaking off the rust yesterday. Kahuku's defense against the Crusader offense. Glad to watch that matchup in the title game for the 3rd season in a row. It's always been the best against the best.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:18 pm I hope Kahuku can pull it off, but that's a tall order. I like watching St. Louis win as much as I like hearing narcissistic conservatives brag about Trump or women fawn over OJ Simpson. This world needs another run of state championships from St. Louis as much as it needs another run of D2 championships from Iolani or another president like Trump.
@gopunahou: I, too, am pulling for Kahuku. I mean, I know that Kahuku has its share of state football titles, but so does St Louis. In fact, I'm almost certain that St Louis has more. What I resent is that St Louis has that unbroken string of something like 13 straight Prep Bowl / State D1 titles, running from like 1986 to 1999 or so. I really resent that. (Incidentally, like you, I don't care for Iolani School or Trump. But, of course you have known for years that I also like your alma mater even less than I like Iolani, and I appreciate that you don't chew my head off for it.) When St Louis played Mililani, I supported St Louis. But now that St Louis is playing Kahuku, I'm supporting Kahuku.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:07 am One thing we reeeaaallly need to clean up is all those damn penalties. We marched Mililani over half way down the field a few times and it was very frustrating to watch
@genks: Really, I don't think you have to worry about penalties. St Louis' pass game is so unreal, they'll almost certainly beat Kahuku anyway, even with the same amount of penalties they had against Mililani. The way St Louis throws the ball, penalties are just speedbumps.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

unpaid wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:03 am Week Fifteen,

1.St.Louis 9-0 beat Mililani. Kahuku next for the Open title.
2.Kahuku 11-1 beat Waianae. Crusaders next.
3.Mililani 10-2 drops one spot with loss to St.Louis. Season over.
4.Waianae 7-5 SO
5.Campbell 6-4 SO
6.Leilehua 6-3 SO
7.Kamehameha 4-5 SO
8.Punahou 5-3 SO
9.Hilo 9-1 Damien next for the D-I title.
10.Kapolei 5-5 Season over.

Still trying to figure out the Open division.Kahuku seemed very beatable last night. St.Louis doesn't seem to need a ground game as long as they pass as well as they do,and you get enough scrambling by the QB.I don't think they get too concerned about the opponent's offense. The Crusaders really clamped down on Mililani's air and rushing schemes in the second half last night.

I think Kahuku is going to have to put up 37 points to win the title game.I am not sure they can do it,if they come out on offense like they did last night. Kahuku D should be OK.
@unpaid: About Kahuku having to score 37, that's exactly what I was thinking. You figure that if St Louis hung 47 points against Mililani, they can probably hang at least 35 on Kahuku. Unless Kahuku has a monster game. If Kahuku's D could somehow contain St Louis' pass game, St Louis can't run for crap. You stop St Louis' pass game somehow, then they're helpless on O.