unpaid D-I football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: unpaid D-I football

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

Neighbor wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:40 pm Huh? Well those rankings are from the preseason and more than a month ago already.

Although Kahuku's QB did get hurt against Aiea
@Neighbor: Well, doesn't scoringlive still have Kahuku at #1? Speaking of QBs getting hurt, Kamehameha's QB got hurt (elbow) against that mainland team two games ago, and then he got his shoulder hurt early in the game against St Louis this past Friday. I'm assuming that both Kahuku and Kamehameha will fall in the polls. Especially now that Kahuku's QB is injured, I don't see how scoringlive can keep Kahuku at #1.

HaterOfElitists
High-quality H20 provider

Post by HaterOfElitists »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:24 am
Neighbor wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:40 pm Huh? Well those rankings are from the preseason and more than a month ago already.

@Neighbor: Well, doesn't scoringlive still have Kahuku at #1? Speaking of QBs getting hurt, Kamehameha's QB got hurt (elbow) against that mainland team two games ago, and then he got his shoulder hurt early in the game against St Louis this past Friday. I'm assuming that both Kahuku and Kamehameha will fall in the polls. Especially now that Kahuku's QB is injured, I don't see how scoringlive can keep Kahuku at #1.
Why do rankings matter so much to you? It won't diminish the appeal of the games. Besides, the only ranking that matters is the one at the end of the season.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

HaterOfElitists wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:33 am
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:24 am

Why do rankings matter so much to you? It won't diminish the appeal of the games. Besides, the only ranking that matters is the one at the end of the season.
@HaterOfElitists: Well, I'd like to know if Kahuku really is better than St Louis, as I do prefer that Kahuku take it all. I'm just trying to see whether that hope is really reasonable or not. I don't think it is, but perhaps other people know better. There must be a reason that scoringlive has Kahuku ranked #1.

HaterOfElitists

We'll never know until STL and KAH play.

Besides, one team that is flying under the radar is Mililani. In my opinion, they got as much of a chance to win the whole thing as Kahuku with their balance.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

HaterOfElitists wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:02 am We'll never know until STL and KAH play.

Besides, one team that is flying under the radar is Mililani. In my opinion, they got as much of a chance to win the whole thing as Kahuku with their balance.
@HaterOfElitists: Yes, I've heard about Mililani and their balanced offense, and that their offense is not only balanced, but quite good. I'm OK with Mililani winning it all, but I would still prefer Kahuku. But, that's just my own personal bias. In fact, I'd love to see a state title game featuring Kahuku and Mililani, but of course that would require that they be in different brackets.

ka'ahupahau706

Post by ka'ahupahau706 »

Hard to tell with Mililani still, they did play Hawaii competition but I'm not gauging how good they are based off of Leilehua and Castle wins. They did play a California team which is awesome for Hawaii to win against, but they played Clayton Valley (never heard of them, so I did some research before the matchup) lets just say.. they are not a very good team but they are ranked way higher than Castle or Leilehua. They might be balanced offensively to beat Kahuku. But Mililani's defense has always been suspect against better teams. They should be able to do okay against Big Red. As far as Kahuku being better than STL, I think scoringlive is being a fanboy right now because STL should be #1 just off of the fact they won last year. If any team won last year, I would have them at #1 until they lose. But we all know that rankings are just for fans to talk about, rankings don't mean anything until the end like everyone says. So I wouldn't freak out about it. I just want to start seeing better games. Kahuku, Mililani, STL, and Punahou are the state's top teams for sure at this point. I'll say Mililani vs Kahuku in the OIA championahip.

By the way, great win for the Buff n Blue against a very good Serra team. Punahou might be better than we thought. Can't wait to watch Punahou play STL. That should be an interesting matchup. They should handle Kamehameha this week easily though.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

ka'ahupahau706 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:13 am Hard to tell with Mililani still, they did play Hawaii competition but I'm not gauging how good they are based off of Leilehua and Castle wins. They did play a California team which is awesome for Hawaii to win against, but they played Clayton Valley (never heard of them, so I did some research before the matchup) lets just say.. they are not a very good team but they are ranked way higher than Castle or Leilehua. They might be balanced offensively to beat Kahuku. But Mililani's defense has always been suspect against better teams. They should be able to do okay against Big Red. As far as Kahuku being better than STL, I think scoringlive is being a fanboy right now because STL should be #1 just off of the fact they won last year. If any team won last year, I would have them at #1 until they lose. But we all know that rankings are just for fans to talk about, rankings don't mean anything until the end like everyone says. So I wouldn't freak out about it. I just want to start seeing better games. Kahuku, Mililani, STL, and Punahou are the state's top teams for sure at this point. I'll say Mililani vs Kahuku in the OIA championahip.

By the way, great win for the Buff n Blue against a very good Serra team. Punahou might be better than we thought. Can't wait to watch Punahou play STL. That should be an interesting matchup. They should handle Kamehameha this week easily though.
@ka'ahupahau706: At this point, I think St Louis is untouchable. I suspect St Louis will beat Punahou, especially on the strength of St Louis' pass game. And, as good as Punahou's offense is, St Louis' defensive front seven seems very stout.

bandits1
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by bandits1 »

Based only on what I've seen on TV up to this point, if I had to bet real money, I'd say Mililani is currently the best team in the OIA. The best QB in the OIA and maybe the state and a beast of a RB. Of course Kahuku is still a huge factor, and their quest to diversify their offense will continue to improve as their young QB progresses from athlete to true passer. Gabriel being a year older has a big edge in the savvy passing department, though, and he's no slouch running the ball either.

I'd give the Trojans a fair chance at beating St. Louis right now. But as far as top-10 rankings go, like ka'ahupahau706 said, it's just something for sportswriters and fans to chatter about. Doesn't really mean that much beyond healthy debate, especially since they bust out a new one every week.

HaterOfElitists

ka'ahupahau706 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:13 am Hard to tell with Mililani still, they did play Hawaii competition but I'm not gauging how good they are based off of Leilehua and Castle wins. They did play a California team which is awesome for Hawaii to win against, but they played Clayton Valley (never heard of them, so I did some research before the matchup) lets just say.. they are not a very good team but they are ranked way higher than Castle or Leilehua. They might be balanced offensively to beat Kahuku. But Mililani's defense has always been suspect against better teams. They should be able to do okay against Big Red. As far as Kahuku being better than STL, I think scoringlive is being a fanboy right now because STL should be #1 just off of the fact they won last year. If any team won last year, I would have them at #1 until they lose. But we all know that rankings are just for fans to talk about, rankings don't mean anything until the end like everyone says. So I wouldn't freak out about it. I just want to start seeing better games. Kahuku, Mililani, STL, and Punahou are the state's top teams for sure at this point. I'll say Mililani vs Kahuku in the OIA championahip.

Unless Kapolei is a disappointment, Leilehua isn't a pushover or a team to sleep on. They gave Kahuku a pretty good game until the middle of the 3rd quarter. A dominating win by Mililani over them make sure me think that Mililani is the real deal and bonafide contender.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

bandits1 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:53 pm Based only on what I've seen on TV up to this point, if I had to bet real money, I'd say Mililani is currently the best team in the OIA. The best QB in the OIA and maybe the state and a beast of a RB. Of course Kahuku is still a huge factor, and their quest to diversify their offense will continue to improve as their young QB progresses from athlete to true passer. Gabriel being a year older has a big edge in the savvy passing department, though, and he's no slouch running the ball either.

I'd give the Trojans a fair chance at beating St. Louis right now. But as far as top-10 rankings go, like ka'ahupahau706 said, it's just something for sportswriters and fans to chatter about. Doesn't really mean that much beyond healthy debate, especially since they bust out a new one every week.
@bandits1: Wow; Mililani is that good, that they can beat St Louis? I mean, I'd rather have Mililani than St Louis, so I'm glad to hear that. But, I find it difficult to believe. As good and balanced as Mililani's offense is, again: St Louis' defensive front seven--especially the LBs--are very solid. And, how is Mililani's D? Can they contain St Louis' potent pass game? How are Mililani's DEs? Mililani's D-line would have to put a mean pass-rush on Cordeiro. Also, OK: Mililani has a good RB, but how is their O-line? Can they push St Louis' D-line back? (By the way, I would love to see that happen!) Does any school have a huge, strong, tall, punishing O-line that can shove St Louis' D-line back? That would really be something to see. Speaking of O-lines: Whose is better, Kahuku's or Mililani's? In fact, which school has the best O-line in the state, period?

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

My opinion of Kahuku so far is the defense looks NASTY. The Crusader (my boys) defense is fast and tough, Kahuku may be faster. They look very dangerous. I have great respect for Mililani, but I don't think they hold up against the RR defense. My guess is a low scoring game.

I am 100% biased, but I'm confident in a STL vs MIL matchup

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:15 pm My opinion of Kahuku so far is the defense looks NASTY. The Crusader (my boys) defense is fast and tough, Kahuku may be faster. They look very dangerous. I have great respect for Mililani, but I don't think they hold up against the RR defense. My guess is a low scoring game.

I am 100% biased, but I'm confident in a STL vs MIL matchup
@genks: Thanks for not calling me out. You can tell by my previous post that I'm not exactly a St Louis fan, but I do suspect that St Louis is #1 at the moment. Even if Kahuku has a slightly better defense than St Louis, I think there's no question that St Louis has a decidedly better offense than Kahuku, especially now that Kahuku's QB is injured. If Kahuku and St Louis meet for the state title, Kahuku had better have very good pass defense.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

HS, it's all good man, I'm here for the conversation. Besides, you aren't a Pun fan and nothing is worse than that. Lol just kidding, Big respect for our ILH rivals.

I know the RR are known for their defense, but boy do they look fast this year. With Miki Ah You in there he's so dangerous. I'm also interested to see how Kaniho develops, he's got so much room and time to grow.

I do agree that so far this year it's probably Kahuku and Mililani for the OIA title and both in the state tournament. Kapolei is all over the place, Waianae having a rough time on offense. Hopefully STL can repeat for the ILH title so they can defend the state title in the tournament. If we do, I fully expect it to be STL vs Kahuku

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

We'll see how Mililani does against a bit better competition, not taking anything away from Leilehua. I thought Kailua could've been an under-the-radar team (at least to contend for the OIA championship) but then they flopped against Farrington. I guess losing only 3-0 isn't a flop, but their offense was putting up a lot of points but again, that was against the likes of Moanalua and Nanakuli

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:35 pm HS, it's all good man, I'm here for the conversation. Besides, you aren't a Pun fan and nothing is worse than that. Lol just kidding, Big respect for our ILH rivals.

I know the RR are known for their defense, but boy do they look fast this year. With Miki Ah You in there he's so dangerous. I'm also interested to see how Kaniho develops, he's got so much room and time to grow.

I do agree that so far this year it's probably Kahuku and Mililani for the OIA title and both in the state tournament. Kapolei is all over the place, Waianae having a rough time on offense. Hopefully STL can repeat for the ILH title so they can defend the state title in the tournament. If we do, I fully expect it to be STL vs Kahuku
@genks: Thanks. And, I can understand that St Louis alumni don't care for Punahou. Like, how many decades have they been rivals? It's still early in the season, but at this point I don't see anyone beating St Louis. I wish someone from scoringlive would tell me why Kahuku is #1. I mean, I'm good with that. Thanks for cutting me slack, genks, as you graciously seem to understand that I'm not a St Louis fan. Regardless, wanting Kahuku to be #1 doesn't necessarily mean that they truly are #1. Like, OK, Kahuku has a kick-butt defense. But, St Louis has a kick-butt pass game. As I said before, Kahuku had better have very good DEs and DBs, in particular. A kick-butt monster NG wouldn't hurt, either. If Kahuku had such a NG, imagine how he could get into the St Louis center's head. Anyway, there must be a lot of St Louis alumni crying foul over scoringlive's rankings. (P.S. If it's any consolation to you, I do indeed prefer St Louis to Punahou.)