unpaid D-I football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HaterOfElitists
High-quality H20 provider

Re: unpaid D-I football

Post by HaterOfElitists »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:04 pm
genks wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:35 pm HS, it's all good man, I'm here for the conversation. Besides, you aren't a Pun fan and nothing is worse than that. Lol just kidding, Big respect for our ILH rivals.

I know the RR are known for their defense, but boy do they look fast this year. With Miki Ah You in there he's so dangerous. I'm also interested to see how Kaniho develops, he's got so much room and time to grow.

I do agree that so far this year it's probably Kahuku and Mililani for the OIA title and both in the state tournament. Kapolei is all over the place, Waianae having a rough time on offense. Hopefully STL can repeat for the ILH title so they can defend the state title in the tournament. If we do, I fully expect it to be STL vs Kahuku
@genks: Thanks. And, I can understand that St Louis alumni don't care for Punahou. Like, how many decades have they been rivals? It's still early in the season, but at this point I don't see anyone beating St Louis. I wish someone from scoringlive would tell me why Kahuku is #1. I mean, I'm good with that. Thanks for cutting me slack, genks, as you graciously seem to understand that I'm not a St Louis fan. Regardless, wanting Kahuku to be #1 doesn't necessarily mean that they truly are #1. Like, OK, Kahuku has a kick-butt defense. But, St Louis has a kick-butt pass game. As I said before, Kahuku had better have very good DEs and DBs, in particular. A kick-butt monster NG wouldn't hurt, either. If Kahuku had such a NG, imagine how he could get into the St Louis center's head. Anyway, there must be a lot of St Louis alumni crying foul over scoringlive's rankings. (P.S. If it's any consolation to you, I do indeed prefer St Louis to Punahou.)
I doubt that they take the rankings seriously. The only ranking that matters is the one at the end of the season.

harus0ra
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by harus0ra »

Welcome back hs football fanatic!!! To me st.louis is the best overall team in the state by far. Mililani has the best offense because they can do it all. My red raiders can be that too but is trying to be a more balanced team this year. I think it could be there downfall this year because it keeps the other teams in the game like what happened with leilehua and moanaloa. They shouldve stick with the same playbook as last year with sol Jay passing more then the offense would be in the same level as st.louis and mililani. Not to mention that kahuku has alot of injuries and hasn't played a game with all there starters playing together.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

harus0ra wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:50 pm Welcome back hs football fanatic!!! To me st.louis is the best overall team in the state by far. Mililani has the best offense because they can do it all. My red raiders can be that too but is trying to be a more balanced team this year. I think it could be there downfall this year because it keeps the other teams in the game like what happened with leilehua and moanaloa. They shouldve stick with the same playbook as last year with sol Jay passing more then the offense would be in the same level as st.louis and mililani. Not to mention that kahuku has alot of injuries and hasn't played a game with all there starters playing together.
@harus0ra: Yeah, injuries seem to really be taking a toll on Kahuku this year. And now, their QB has suffered an injury (though it's to his non-throwing arm). I get why you say Mililani has the best offense, seeing as they can pass and run. St Louis has decent RBs this year, perhaps, but they can't touch Mililani's RB. I think it should be very concerning to Kahuku that Moanalua played Kahuku close for what, over a half? I mean, look at how Waianae had been kicking Moanalua's butt all game. Still, I was surprised that Moanalua scored three TDs during the later stages of the game. Presumably those scores came against Waianae's reserves? I agree that Kahuku has to look at the pass more. This year, they simply don't seem to have the O-line and RBs that would permit them to simply run-over people the way they did in recent years. Speaking of Kahuku's O-line, how good are they this year? How are they size-wise?

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

HS, there are complaints about Scoring Live ranking Kahuku #1, but personally I'm ok with it. Going into the 2015 season they had STL at #1 despite not being the defending state champs. They went on to lose to Kahuku in the state finals. I know there's lots of talk about how many RR players have D1 offers, this may influence rankings also.

STL vs Punahou are always competitive and tough games. I liked last year's format because I do believe both STL and Pun deserve to be in the state tournament. I was very impressed when Kapolei knocked them out of the mix, I know how good Pun is.

Neighbor, I agree with you wanting to see Mililani against better competition. Although the Mules defense looks strong and MIL shredded them. I'm looking forward to seeing them against the Govs and Canes. I think they will blow the Govs out.

harus0ra
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by harus0ra »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:58 pm
harus0ra wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:50 pm Welcome back hs football fanatic!!! To me st.louis is the best overall team in the state by far. Mililani has the best offense because they can do it all. My red raiders can be that too but is trying to be a more balanced team this year. I think it could be there downfall this year because it keeps the other teams in the game like what happened with leilehua and moanaloa. They shouldve stick with the same playbook as last year with sol Jay passing more then the offense would be in the same level as st.louis and mililani. Not to mention that kahuku has alot of injuries and hasn't played a game with all there starters playing together.
@harus0ra: Yeah, injuries seem to really be taking a toll on Kahuku this year. And now, their QB has suffered an injury (though it's to his non-throwing arm). I get why you say Mililani has the best offense, seeing as they can pass and run. St Louis has decent RBs this year, perhaps, but they can't touch Mililani's RB. I think it should be very concerning to Kahuku that Moanalua played Kahuku close for what, over a half? I mean, look at how Waianae had been kicking Moanalua's butt all game. Still, I was surprised that Moanalua scored three TDs during the later stages of the game. Presumably those scores came against Waianae's reserves? I agree that Kahuku has to look at the pass more. This year, they simply don't seem to have the O-line and RBs that would permit them to simply run-over people the way they did in recent years. Speaking of Kahuku's O-line, how good are they this year? How are they size-wise?
Actually kahuku has a good oline. They have 3 to 4 returning starters from last year. If ever the problem with the oline is that now they have to pass block more compared to fulltime run blocking. So it takes away what they normally use too plus when they do run its not from the I formation that kahuku has been known for.

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

rankings really are just for fun and there's already playoffs so like the other person said, it only really matters at the end of the season. but you see fans and players get all hamajang over em so it's cool i guess. i never liked the rankigns scoring live does or any of the media does for that matter. they just do em based on who they think is good instead of looking at relative team win/loss records like college does em.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

Yeah rankings are basically talking points. Funny the fans get bent outta shape way worse than the players. I get it though, people are passionate and loyal

ka'ahupahau706

Post by ka'ahupahau706 »

@HS Football Fanatic-- Adding to your point about O-Lines. Kahuku usually has the size for Oline for sure and they just bully their way through the OIA. I've been hearing STL needs work at the Oline position despite putting up 44 on Kamehameha. Also what I've been hearing is that Punahou's Oline is pretty legit. All starter's return with a couple solid backups. They have the size and athleticism and apparently most of them, if not all starters are getting looked at from D1 programs so that might be something to look at this week. How's Kailua's Oline this year? I'm rooting for them to do well this year, they have been building a solid program. Kapolei is just disappointing me this season, I would assume they have some monsters on Oline as well. Mililani must have a decent Oline as well this year right? I haven't been watching any live games of their team.
But if I were to rank Olines my top 4 would be the top 4 teams in the state right now.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

harus0ra wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:49 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:58 pm
Actually kahuku has a good oline. They have 3 to 4 returning starters from last year. If ever the problem with the oline is that now they have to pass block more compared to fulltime run blocking. So it takes away what they normally use too plus when they do run its not from the I formation that kahuku has been known for.
@harus0ra: I think the only way Kahuku can beat St Louis is if their defense has a monster night. Kahuku's offense simply isn't what it was two years ago, or even last year. I mean, it is a good offense, but not good enough to beat St Louis. If St Louis can get Kahuku into a situation where they're forced to pass, it will probably be a long night for Kahuku. It would be encouraging if Kahuku's D-line had two kick-butt ends and a kick-butt NG. They'd go a long way toward containing Cordeiro and his pass game. Having two lock-down safeties would obviously also be of great help to Kahuku, to harass St Louis' receivers. Question: How good is Kahuku's best RB? If Kahuku this year could possibly be like the Kahuku of recent years, who could simply shove the ball down people's throats, and of course that kills lots of clock at the same time. That would mean quick-strike pass-happy offenses like St Louis', would have less time on the field. Oh, give me the Kahuku of a year or two ago. What a difference a year makes. It's so frustrating to cope with this year's football realities.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Punahou won tonight but cannot perform as inept offensively next week. I hope this is the only time our offense abandons us (save for Barber's sensational TD to seal the win).
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

ka'ahupahau706

Post by ka'ahupahau706 »

Totally agree with gopunahou, went to watch the game. Struggle for both teams. Kamehameha looks like they won't win another ILH game this year. As for Punahou, what it looked like was that they took them very lightly. That was a different Punahou team that played tonight vs in weeks prior. Defense looks great! But their offense looked like something was wrong. Played down to their level for sure. Hopefully they will iron out the kinks as they go into STL week. Looking forward to watching that game. Should be an interesting one!

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

ka'ahupahau706 wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:05 pm Totally agree with gopunahou, went to watch the game. Struggle for both teams. Kamehameha looks like they won't win another ILH game this year. As for Punahou, what it looked like was that they took them very lightly. That was a different Punahou team that played tonight vs in weeks prior. Defense looks great! But their offense looked like something was wrong. Played down to their level for sure. Hopefully they will iron out the kinks as they go into STL week. Looking forward to watching that game. Should be an interesting one!
I hope so, too. Our defense did shut them out, but was that more on Kamehameha than on us? St. Louis will present way more offensive firepower than Kamehameha did and might give us more trouble offensively than Serra did.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Week Six,

1.St.Louis 3-0 DNP No.4 Punahou next.
2.Mililani 5-0 Beat Farrington.
3.Kahuku 4-1 Drop one spot after loss to Bingham,UT.
4.Punahou 4-0 Thought about leapfrogging Puns over Kahuku but,those interceptions...couldn't do it.
5.Hilo 4-0 D-II No.10 Konawaena next.
6.Campbell 4-2
7.Leilehua 3-2 drubbed Castle.
8.Kamehameha 3-2 drop down two spots after loss to Punahou.
9.Farrington 3-3 Govs headed in the wrong direction.
10. Waianae3-3

Punahou will have to take better care of the ball against the Crusaders. They have the offense to make it hard on St.Louis if they avoid turnovers.'

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

Moving on to the first STL vs Pun game of the season. Always very competitive, looking forward to it

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

ka'ahupahau706 wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:34 am @HS Football Fanatic-- Adding to your point about O-Lines. Kahuku usually has the size for Oline for sure and they just bully their way through the OIA. I've been hearing STL needs work at the Oline position despite putting up 44 on Kamehameha. Also what I've been hearing is that Punahou's Oline is pretty legit. All starter's return with a couple solid backups. They have the size and athleticism and apparently most of them, if not all starters are getting looked at from D1 programs so that might be something to look at this week. How's Kailua's Oline this year? I'm rooting for them to do well this year, they have been building a solid program. Kapolei is just disappointing me this season, I would assume they have some monsters on Oline as well. Mililani must have a decent Oline as well this year right? I haven't been watching any live games of their team.
But if I were to rank Olines my top 4 would be the top 4 teams in the state right now.
@ka'ahupahau706:
1. Punahou's O-line will be tested by St Louis' defensive front seven (the LBs, in particular). As good as Punahou's O-line might be, they had a part in only two TDs against Kamehameha. (I think Punahou's other TD came on a pick-six).
2. I think you had better write-off Kailua's O-line. Kailua's O was shut out 33-0 by Kapolei. However, even if the Kapolei O-line has monsters, Kapolei lost to either Waianae or Farrington--can't remember which--a week or two ago.
3. If Mililani's O-line is decent, their run-blocking apparently isn't. Mililani's RB got only about 50 yards against Farrington on Friday.