unpaid D-I football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Re: unpaid D-I football

Post by unpaid »

Week Two,

1.St.Louis 2-0 Another cash register win over Baldwin.
2.Kahuku 1-0 Red Raider D will carry them while they work out the kinks on offense.
3.Mililani 1-0 Kaiser forfeited.
4.Punahou 1-0 DNP
5.Kapolei 2-0 Tough 7-0 win over Waianae.
6.Kamehameha 2-0
7.Campbell 1-1 Beat Farrington.
8.Kailua 1-0 Surfriders shut out Moanalua 44-0.
9.Hilo 1-0 steamrolled Iolani.
10.Farrington 0-2 Govs need to improve on offense.

Waianae and Leilehua drop out. Waianae is similar to the Govs in that new players are trying to get the offense down. That puts pressure on the defenses. The D is on the field longer,and like you saw in the Waianae game, some defensive starters got snaps on offense too trying to boost the running game.

bandits1
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by bandits1 »

Pending the medical results of Waianae's starting QB's knee/ankle/whatever, the Seariders better get their 2nd stringer up to speed quickly. Using Rosario as a QB didn't work out too good since he was basically just handing the ball off to less-talented RBs and not really running himself. It got even worse when he tried to pass.

Unless they plan on running wildcat every play like Kahuku had to do a couple of seasons ago with Ah-Hoy. That might work alright at least until their starting QB heals up.

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

Dang Waianae out of your top 10? I think I'd have them at 10 over Farrington.

rrforlifebaby
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by rrforlifebaby »

I'll just be blunt, in my humble opinion, outside of Kahuku and St Louis, every other team in the "ranking" is just a crap shoot. Everyone is harping on Kapolei's D, and rightfully so because they do have some studs, but they aren't going to be able to take them to the promised land. Kapolei doesn't have much of a running game, which they will need to keep up with the Crusaders and Big Red.

Both Big Red and the Crusaders have more powerful offenses and have better overall D than Waianae, and trust me when I say that Big Red's front 7 is deep; Crusaders as usual have good depth too. No need to say anything about the Crusaders O because we pretty much all have seen how potent they still are...plain and simple it's a system that will always produce as long as the Lee brothers are in control. Big Red already has a potent running game, even with the Oline missing key players and Wes Maiava sidelined. Some of the Oline who played friday night got really good experience against a very game and able Mules D. Once Big Red's O gets clicking, watch out.

As I see it, in my humble opinion, only 3 teams have a shot at beating Big Red, the aforementioned Crusaders, Utah powerhouse Bingham, and Big Red themselves.

RRFL!

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Neighbor,

I was actually thinking about dropping Farrington out of the top ten as well as Waianae.

The first consideration is who could I realistically move up based on performance. I thought only Kailua and Hilo had performances that met the eye test. Kailua has a stout defense and with Mejia at the controls of the offense.the Surfriders showed some pop on offense. Hilo has made improvements that make me think they could be a serious D-I title contender. The Iolani game is one they would have lost last year. This year the Viks clobbered the Raiders. Coach Wagner started something that The current HC is building on. Looking around the state,there was not another D-I team I felt I could move up. Waianae and Leilehua were going down and I had two teams I felt were top ten worthy. If I had had a third candidate,I would have moved the Govs down too.

Second,who was capable of turning around their season quicker. Farrington has the advantage here also. The Govs draw Nanakuli this week,while Waianae draws Kahuku. I know in the SA poll you can go 0-3 and still be ranked,but not in mine. Waianae will most likely win enough games after this stretch to get ranked again, but I have to wonder if they will make the state playoffs. There is no D-I option for Waianae this year,they either finish in the OIA top three and go into the Open Division State tournament or they stay home while others battle for the state title. Kapolei has beaten them.I expect Kahuku will beat them this weekend.I think Mililani could beat them in the OIA playoffs unless there is a drastic improvement on offense. Campbell might have a shot at them also.
Right now ,with a choice of dropping Waianae or Farrington out, I feel like Waianae is in a deeper hole that they have to climb out of.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

On the subject of Baldwin football, why is Mission Viejo (a powerhouse in CA) playing them rather than Kahuku, St. Louis, Kamehameha, Mililani, or us? Do they think it'll be a cakewalk and tune-up game? Do they just like Maui better than Oahu? Whatever the case, another beatdown likely awaits Baldwin. Baldwin's history of losing by 40-50 points against CA teams (most of them powerhouses like MV)--as well as last week's game--suggests that.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

rrforlifebaby
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by rrforlifebaby »

gopunahou wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:48 pm On the subject of Baldwin football, why is Mission Viejo (a powerhouse in CA) playing them rather than Kahuku, St. Louis, Kamehameha, Mililani, or us? Do they think it'll be a cakewalk and tune-up game? Do they just like Maui better than Oahu? Whatever the case, another beatdown likely awaits Baldwin. Baldwin's history of losing by 40-50 points against CA teams (most of them powerhouses like MV)--as well as last week's game--suggests that.
I think this is the 2nd or 3rd time in recent memory that MV has visited Maui. I'm guessing it's kind of like camp for them before the grind of their season.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

In my rank there are no games between top ten teams this week. Howevah.... There are two games that other pollsters and media outlets would consider top ten battles.

Kahuku and Waianae. Not a battle,really. Waianae isn't ready on offense.Kahuku' s defense is more than ready. Kahuku's O will score enough to seal the win.

Mililani and Leilehua.Mililani is way more balanced.I think the Trojan O is performing even better than the Leilehua teams that made the state playoffs and won a D-I title back in the preceding decade.Mililani has a ground game that Moniz and Manley's Mules teams never had. I think the defensive edge goes to Mililani. Trojans should take the win.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

rrforlifebaby wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:12 pm
gopunahou wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:48 pm On the subject of Baldwin football, why is Mission Viejo (a powerhouse in CA) playing them rather than Kahuku, St. Louis, Kamehameha, Mililani, or us? Do they think it'll be a cakewalk and tune-up game? Do they just like Maui better than Oahu? Whatever the case, another beatdown likely awaits Baldwin. Baldwin's history of losing by 40-50 points against CA teams (most of them powerhouses like MV)--as well as last week's game--suggests that.
I think this is the 2nd or 3rd time in recent memory that MV has visited Maui. I'm guessing it's kind of like camp for them before the grind of their season.
It probably is a tuneup for them. Regardless, unless MV is a shell of its usual self, this game might (and likely will) be as bad as the Baldwin-STL game from a week ago. Maybe playing these teams will give Baldwin a better chance of coming home with the D1 state championship (if it wins the MIL).
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Week Three,

1.St.Louis 2-0 DNP
2.Kahuku 2-0 Shutout Waianae 37-0.
3.Mililani 2-0 beat Leilehua.
4.Punahou 1-0 DNP
5.Kapolei 3-0
6.Kamehameha 2-0 DNP
7. Campbell 2-1 defeated Aiea.
8.Kailua 2-0 Held off Buckeye Union,AR two point PAT try to stay unblemished.
9.Hilo 1-0 DNP
10.Farrington 1-2 beat Nanakuli.

Kailua is looking pretty good and they are getting some players back onto the field next week that haven't played yet this season.

ka'ahupahau706
High-quality H20 provider

Post by ka'ahupahau706 »

Just curious, Howcome you have Mililani ahead of both Punahou and Kapolei? I get Saint Louis and Kahuku, they definitely belong up there since they were both in the championship game.

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

I think this year is just gonna come down to Saint Louis and Kahuku.

Mililani has an outside chance, and Kapolei has an outside outside chance. I'm really impressed by Kailua, but I dunno if they'll end up having enough depth to last

bandits1
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by bandits1 »

ka'ahupahau706 wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:53 pm Just curious, Howcome you have Mililani ahead of both Punahou and Kapolei? I get Saint Louis and Kahuku, they definitely belong up there since they were both in the championship game.
Of course I can't speak for unpaid, but just a guess, in their very first game of the season Mililani has already impressed, especially on offense. Gabriel looked bigger, stronger, and even more confident. RB Malepeai is a beast, which frees Olomua to devote more time and energy to playing LB. Defense looked solid. At this early point of the season, definitely the best offense in the OIA and maybe the state. As of right now, I'd say the Trojans have as good a shot as any OIA team at winning the state title.

Leilehua got smashed, but I was glad to see them give Nichols the start at QB. Andres is just an interception machine and always has been.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

ka'ahupahau706,

I agree with bandits1 that Mililani had a great performance on both sides of the ball.Studs on O and studs on D. There is enough aerial and ground attack to keep an opponent guessing.

Kapolei is is seeing steady improvement from their new QB, but I don't believe he has the either the experience or the weapons Gabriel has right now.One thing is for sure,Mililani and Kapolei are in the same division and will answer who is better before the OIA playoffs.

Ranking Mililani over Punahou has a lot to do with Punahou's track record in the ILH in 2015 and 2016.In those years I have believed that the Puns were better on paper than St.Louis,but St.Louis won the ILH. This year,to me Punahou still seems to have a balanced offense,and nearly as good a defense.For whatever reason, these Punahou teams don't seem to become a force greater than the sum of their individual parts. This year's squad is going to have to win the ILH to make me believe that they have a better shot than Mililani at an Open Division state title this year.

ka'ahupahau706

Post by ka'ahupahau706 »

Mililani definitely looks good right now offensively, but I will always be suspect of them on defense. So we'll see as the season progresses.

Kapolei will always be an xfactor and especially after last year they should have the confidence going into the 2017 season.

Kahuku is still figuring it out. I believe Punahou was better on paper last year but at the same time they did have the best QB in the country who definitely played a huge role. I haven't watched punahou this year but I'm curious to see how they look this weekend. Punahou's defense needs to figure it out because I remember watching that championship game against Mililani and most games last year. Their defense lost a handful of games for them because offensively they are capable of lighting up the scoreboard. Can't wait to watch Saints Vs the Puns. Saints Defense vs Puns offense basically. Good luck this week!