unpaid D-I football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: unpaid D-I football

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

genks wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:33 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:18 pm
Markeke wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:57 pm
Totally opposite games. Waianae vs.Kahuku is a running clock burning game. I call it 28-7 Kahuku. The K defense can stop both run and whatever pass game Waianae has. Maybe good that 70% run plays will get the second game on earlier!
Mililani will have to test the run game early. I see move inside shovel passes to Olomua and Malepeai. If Gabriel gets an opening, run and slide. Run the clock. Get some defensive stops. The last team on offense may be he winner.
@Markeke: I think your assessment of the St Louis v Mililani game is fascinating. So you think the game will be so close that the team that has the ball last might win? That's really fascinating. I thought St Louis definitely has the edge because of their unreal pass game, but then again, Mililani can pass very well, too. Now, how good of a scrambler is Gabriel? We know Cordeiro can scramble, but what about Gabriel? And, you gotta respect Mililani's run game. Wasn't Olomua the same RB who ran all over Iolani in States last year? He's your big, fullback type. And, wouldn't he make a great blocking back for Malepeai when he gets the ball. So, Mililani has two good RBs, while St Louis' run game is virtually non-existent. I agree that Mililani will try the run game first. After all, they have those two RBs and a big, good O-line. And long, sustained, time-consuming drives on the ground will keep Cordeiro Airlines off the field, while at the same time possibly scoring points. As for St Louis, they had better not have a game like they did when they beat Kamehameha by only 12 points. If they do, Mililani is going to roll them. I think we have to keep in mind that Mililani lost to Kahuku by only 4 points, and we all know what an unreal team Kahuku is.
I do hope the Crusaders come in hungry and ready. That second Kam game was horrible. They did look like they were sleep walking. But you gotta combine that with Boogie Yam, literally the best and most accurate I’ve ever seen him in the past 2 years. That was his best game ever that I’ve seen. I don’t mean to rag on players but he looked back to his average play in the ILH championship game. The refs also nailed us with 2 completely bullshit PI calls. One we were on defense, and a big pass that was caught by Quinn clear as day, but they ruled it incomplete.
@genks: No, I agree about your assessment of Kamehameha QB Yam's performance in the ILH title game. In fact, I would go so far as to say that he kind of sucked. Kamehameha's entire O sucked in that game. It seemed that they couldn't run for crap, and they couldn't throw for crap, when they were supposed to be decent at both. In fact, if I recall correctly, Yam was interviewed after the game, and he basically said he and the offense "didn't get the job done," and that he was disappointed. I.e., he basically said Kamehameha's O sucked, though not in so many words.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:36 pm
genks wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:33 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:18 pm

@Markeke: I think your assessment of the St Louis v Mililani game is fascinating. So you think the game will be so close that the team that has the ball last might win? That's really fascinating. I thought St Louis definitely has the edge because of their unreal pass game, but then again, Mililani can pass very well, too. Now, how good of a scrambler is Gabriel? We know Cordeiro can scramble, but what about Gabriel? And, you gotta respect Mililani's run game. Wasn't Olomua the same RB who ran all over Iolani in States last year? He's your big, fullback type. And, wouldn't he make a great blocking back for Malepeai when he gets the ball. So, Mililani has two good RBs, while St Louis' run game is virtually non-existent. I agree that Mililani will try the run game first. After all, they have those two RBs and a big, good O-line. And long, sustained, time-consuming drives on the ground will keep Cordeiro Airlines off the field, while at the same time possibly scoring points. As for St Louis, they had better not have a game like they did when they beat Kamehameha by only 12 points. If they do, Mililani is going to roll them. I think we have to keep in mind that Mililani lost to Kahuku by only 4 points, and we all know what an unreal team Kahuku is.
I do hope the Crusaders come in hungry and ready. That second Kam game was horrible. They did look like they were sleep walking. But you gotta combine that with Boogie Yam, literally the best and most accurate I’ve ever seen him in the past 2 years. That was his best game ever that I’ve seen. I don’t mean to rag on players but he looked back to his average play in the ILH championship game. The refs also nailed us with 2 completely bullshit PI calls. One we were on defense, and a big pass that was caught by Quinn clear as day, but they ruled it incomplete.
@genks: No, I agree about your assessment of Kamehameha QB Yam's performance in the ILH title game. In fact, I would go so far as to say that he kind of sucked. Kamehameha's entire O sucked in that game. It seemed that they couldn't run for crap, and they couldn't throw for crap, when they were supposed to be decent at both. In fact, if I recall correctly, Yam was interviewed after the game, and he basically said he and the offense "didn't get the job done," and that he was disappointed. I.e., he basically said Kamehameha's O sucked, though not in so many words.
You know what was a bummer? STL just walked off the field at the end of the game. No celebration, the announcer didn’t declare them ILH champs, it was just an ordinary game. I know in 2015 they were criticized for not staying and accepting the 2nd place trophy at the end of the state title game. But that’s what they always do, just sort of leave after greeting friends and family in the stands. Even after winning they leave lol. It’s very anticlimactic as someone cheering for them.

I have a question more knowledgeable people here can answer. How many players returned vs left from last year’s team? They are so much better this year it’s night and day. Imagine this Trojan team playing last year’s Iolani team lol. Not a pretty picture. What a difference a years makes. Are they running different offense or defense this year? What factors are in play this year making them such a strong contender this year?

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

I dunno if this was brought up earlier, but how you figure #1 seed vs #3 seed and #2 vs #4? Only in Hawaii I guess. Or did the OIA come up with another way to screw over the ILH.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

EITSwarrior wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:59 pm I dunno if this was brought up earlier, but how you figure #1 seed vs #3 seed and #2 vs #4? Only in Hawaii I guess. Or did the OIA come up with another way to screw over the ILH.
Most likely
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Kahuku playing sluggish. Maiava limping, but you can bet that Kahuku hasn’t got a backup who can save them. I also wonder if the Mililani game is taking a toll.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

reignjah11
Hall of famer
Hall of famer
MLB: Boston Red Sox
NBA: Dallas Mavericks
NFL: New England Patriots

Post by reignjah11 »

:o so much for kahuku getting a free pass to the 'ship! Waianae came to play tonight!

reignjah11
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by reignjah11 »

What a game! Congrats Kahuku and great effort Waianae!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:57 pm Kahuku playing sluggish. Maiava limping, but you can bet that Kahuku hasn’t got a backup who can save them. I also wonder if the Mililani game is taking a toll.
@gopunahou: Don't you think it's kind of stupid that Kahuku HC Freitas is playing Maiava if he's limping? I mean, heck: He's injured. Let backup Alapa play. They could probably still win without him, even though the game is kind of close right now. Speaking of tolls taken the last game, someone on ScoringLive posted that Mililani is somewhat banged-up too, and they play St Louis tonight. Good luck to them. And, speaking of Mililani: You picked them to win? Saw your post on the "Pick 'em" thread.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

reignjah11 wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:51 pm :o so much for kahuku getting a free pass to the 'ship! Waianae came to play tonight!
@reignjah11: Well, I doubt that they expected Waianae to just lie-down for them; I doubt that they thought they'd get a "free pass."

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

reignjah11 wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:39 pm What a game! Congrats Kahuku and great effort Waianae!
@reignjah11: I think Kahuku is in deep doo-doo. I mean, they beat Waianae by only an FG? I mean, whoever wins the St Louis v Mililani game might very well kick Kahuku's butt. Where was Kahuku's O? Is it because QB Maiava is limping? Kahuku alumni have every reason to be very apprehensive right now. At the same time, Waianae alumni must be very frustrated right now. I think most guys thought that Waianae had no business getting this close; they could have won. Heck, this was even closer than the Kahuku v Mililani game. I think the Kahuku v Waianae game has St Louis and Mililani smelling blood. I think both schools realize that if they win tonight, they might be able to just waltz over Kahuku for the title. Heck, tonight's game might be better than next week's title game.

reignjah11
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by reignjah11 »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:45 pm
reignjah11 wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:51 pm :o so much for kahuku getting a free pass to the 'ship! Waianae came to play tonight!
@reignjah11: Well, I doubt that they expected Waianae to just lie-down for them; I doubt that they thought they'd get a "free pass."
Wasn't talking about the team but rather what many of us fans thought this game was gonna be.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

reignjah11 wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:55 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:45 pm
Wasn't talking about the team but rather what many of us fans thought this game was gonna be.
@reignjah11: Yeah, you're right. I, too, thought Kahuku wouldn't have that much trouble with Waianae. I think it's crazy that they won by only 3. As I mentioned in another post, Kahuku alumni need to be very concerned about next week. Not only might Kahuku lose; they might get their butts kicked. It simply doesn't look good for them right now. I mean, even if QB Maiava is better next week, how much of a difference would that make, given tonight's score against Waianae? I'm kind of discouraged myself, as I prefer Kahuku to both St Louis and Mililani.

reignjah11
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by reignjah11 »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:49 pm
reignjah11 wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:39 pm What a game! Congrats Kahuku and great effort Waianae!
@reignjah11: I think Kahuku is in deep doo-doo. I mean, they beat Waianae by only an FG? I mean, whoever wins the St Louis v Mililani game might very well kick Kahuku's butt. Where was Kahuku's O? Is it because QB Maiava is limping? Kahuku alumni have every reason to be very apprehensive right now. At the same time, Waianae alumni must be very frustrated right now. I think most guys thought that Waianae had no business getting this close; they could have won. Heck, this was even closer than the Kahuku v Mililani game. I think the Kahuku v Waianae game has St Louis and Mililani smelling blood. I think both schools realize that if they win tonight, they might be able to just waltz over Kahuku for the title. Heck, tonight's game might be better than next week's title game.
Agreed, I think if any team is gonna beat St Louis it's gonna be a team like Mililani that can match them score for score. Especially now with Maiava all banged up, not sure if Kahuku can just rely on their d to carry them next week.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:43 pm
gopunahou wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:57 pm Kahuku playing sluggish. Maiava limping, but you can bet that Kahuku hasn’t got a backup who can save them. I also wonder if the Mililani game is taking a toll.
@gopunahou: Don't you think it's kind of stupid that Kahuku HC Freitas is playing Maiava if he's limping? I mean, heck: He's injured. Let backup Alapa play. They could probably still win without him, even though the game is kind of close right now. Speaking of tolls taken the last game, someone on ScoringLive posted that Mililani is somewhat banged-up too, and they play St Louis tonight. Good luck to them. And, speaking of Mililani: You picked them to win? Saw your post on the "Pick 'em" thread.
I'm hoping that they do and believe they can at least give SLS a challenge.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

reignjah11 wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:03 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:49 pm
Agreed, I think if any team is gonna beat St Louis it's gonna be a team like Mililani that can match them score for score. Especially now with Maiava all banged up, not sure if Kahuku can just rely on their d to carry them next week.
@reignjah11: Yeah, I'm kind of down right now. I mean, I don't want to see St Louis or Mililani win the title. For me, there are schools whom I would have liked to see win it even less, but I would really rather see Kahuku win it.