Punahou girl's basketball - what is going on?

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
Crusader_Fan_77
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Punahou girl's basketball - what is going on?

Post by Crusader_Fan_77 »

Punahou friends tell me Liz Kam no longer coaching team. Since Mike Taylor quit after 2011 season, Punahou has had 5 coaches in 5 years (Taliaferro, Robinson, Velasco, Kam, Ahuna). This hurts winning and recruiting. Why don't they just let the coaches coach?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Punahou girl's basketball - what is going on?

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

Crusader_Fan_77 wrote:Punahou friends tell me Liz Kam no longer coaching team. Since Mike Taylor quit after 2011 season, Punahou has had 5 coaches in 5 years (Taliaferro, Robinson, Velasco, Kam, Ahuna). This hurts winning and recruiting. Why don't they just let the coaches coach?
@Crusader_Fan_77: I hope this doesn't sound too mean-spirited, but to me, the more coaching controversy there is at Punahou, the better. I really don't want their girls to win the ILH. It's not that I have anything against their girls; it's that I simply don't care for their school. Having said that, I think that almost every high-school girls' basketball coach is under fire from all directions: The Principal, the AD, the parents, and even the players themselves. I know of another ILH girls' basketball coach who is currently taking heat from the AD, and I know of an OIA girls' basketball coach who was forced-out about four years ago because of the players and parents. So, that makes three schools at which the girls' basketball coach was or is being given grief. Who knows how many other high-schools have girls' basketball coaches that are being hassled/pressured/harassed? It may get to the point where no one is going to want to coach the sport. Too much drama, too much stress.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote:
Crusader_Fan_77 wrote:Punahou friends tell me Liz Kam no longer coaching team. Since Mike Taylor quit after 2011 season, Punahou has had 5 coaches in 5 years (Taliaferro, Robinson, Velasco, Kam, Ahuna). This hurts winning and recruiting. Why don't they just let the coaches coach?
@Crusader_Fan_77: I hope this doesn't sound too mean-spirited, but to me, the more coaching controversy there is at Punahou, the better. I really don't want their girls to win the ILH. It's not that I have anything against their girls; it's that I simply don't care for their school. Having said that, I think that almost every high-school girls' basketball coach is under fire from all directions: The Principal, the AD, the parents, and even the players themselves. I know of another ILH girls' basketball coach who is currently taking heat from the AD, and I know of an OIA girls' basketball coach who was forced-out about four years ago because of the players and parents. So, that makes three schools at which the girls' basketball coach was or is being given grief. Who knows how many other high-schools have girls' basketball coaches that are being hassled/pressured/harassed? It may get to the point where no one is going to want to coach the sport. Too much drama, too much stress.
If you it makes you feel, Iolani's got a better chance than we of winning states. :D :D :D

But anyway, what we can't seem to do is hire a coach that'll stick with us long-term.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote:
If you it makes you feel, Iolani's got a better chance than we of winning states. :D :D :D

But anyway, what we can't seem to do is hire a coach that'll stick with us long-term.
@gopunahou: I don't know about Iolani having a better chance. Your alma mater has been ranked #1 since the first polls came-out early this month. And, if it makes you feel better, Punahou isn't the only school having trouble holding-on to a girls' basketball coach. The question is: Why did Kam leave? Did she leave of her own volition, or was she forced out? Punahou had a decent team last year, so I'm assuming it's not about Kam's coaching abilities. May have been about the girls and/or their parents whining about something.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote:

@gopunahou:
Correction: As of today, Dec 27, for the very first time this season, Punahou isn't ranked #1. Today, both the Star-Bulletin and scoringlive have Kahuku ranked #1. Probably due to the recent transfers of Dan Fotu, Jessiya Villa, and Samuta Avea to the school. All three are outstanding. Punahou is now ranked #2.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote:

@gopunahou: It just occurred to me that perhaps you were talking about girls' basketball. I thought you were talking about boys' basketball, because that's the sport in which Punahou was ranked #1 (until today). I don't think Punahou's girls were ever anywhere near #1 this season, though I do think they are ranked. Another reason that I thought you were talking about the boys is that Iolani had been ranked right behind Punahou--at #2--for most of this month, though I think Kahuku took-over #2 just last week. And again, as of today, Kahuku is now ranked #1.

twnoexcuses
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by twnoexcuses »

As UH has taught us, girls'/women's basketball is a fully funded scholarship sport.

And, the players don't necessarily need height.

That means for parents of Hawaii schoolgirl basketball players, money is actually on the line.

Parents will become vicious in such an environment. The buttons that may be pushed to advance the interests of Mommy's or Daddy's little girl are far more potentially damaging than those accessible for their "young men".

Highly motivated and self-interested Punahou parents' viciousness likely takes on dimensions and tactics that are terrifying.

Who really wants to coach in that environment?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

twnoexcuses wrote:As UH has taught us, girls'/women's basketball is a fully funded scholarship sport.

And, the players don't necessarily need height.

That means for parents of Hawaii schoolgirl basketball players, money is actually on the line.

Parents will become vicious in such an environment. The buttons that may be pushed to advance the interests of Mommy's or Daddy's little girl are far more potentially damaging than those accessible for their "young men".

Highly motivated and self-interested Punahou parents' viciousness likely takes on dimensions and tactics that are terrifying.

Who really wants to coach in that environment?
@twnoexcuses: Good points. Indeed, in Hawaii, a girl doesn't need height to play high-school basketball. But--just as with the boys--height becomes more important if you want to play on the college level. And, yes, I guess it's only natural for parents to "hover" more over a daughter than a son. As for Punahou School parents, well: If their daughters played basketball for the school, just have them go to UH and try to get on the team. After all, UH is a D1 college team. And, if their daughter can't get a scholarship, at least UH tuition is cheap compared to mainland teams, especially since Punahou alumna (or, more accurately, their parents) would pay resident tuition. For resident students, UH is a terrific deal financially. And it's a D1 college.

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

well now we know

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

I hate to give my take on this, but this whole saga raises a ton of questions. Ilima MacFarlane’s father is a giant among Punahou graduates. Did she not tell him? If she did, his influence could’ve gotten Yuen blackballed from the school. Regardless, this whole situation is heartbreaking, but don’t think that we enable this horrificality. Judging Punahou for the actions of Dwayne Yuen is like judging Iolani for the actions of Dustin Miyakawa. Or Kamehameha fkr the actions of Robert Browne. Or St. Louis for the actions of Jason Gesser.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

gopunahou wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:52 pm I hate to give my take on this, but this whole saga raises a ton of questions. Ilima MacFarlane’s father is a giant among Punahou graduates. Did she not tell him? If she did, his influence could’ve gotten Yuen blackballed from the school. Regardless, this whole situation is heartbreaking, but don’t think that we enable this horrificality. Judging Punahou for the actions of Dwayne Yuen is like judging Iolani for the actions of Dustin Miyakawa. Or Kamehameha fkr the actions of Robert Browne. Or St. Louis for the actions of Jason Gesser.
What did Gesser do? I know he did something up at Wazzu, but not at Saint Louis. Yuen was employed at Punahou at the time of the incidents. Different scenarios.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

EITSwarrior wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:58 pm
gopunahou wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:52 pm I hate to give my take on this, but this whole saga raises a ton of questions. Ilima MacFarlane’s father is a giant among Punahou graduates. Did she not tell him? If she did, his influence could’ve gotten Yuen blackballed from the school. Regardless, this whole situation is heartbreaking, but don’t think that we enable this horrificality. Judging Punahou for the actions of Dwayne Yuen is like judging Iolani for the actions of Dustin Miyakawa. Or Kamehameha fkr the actions of Robert Browne. Or St. Louis for the actions of Jason Gesser.
What did Gesser do? I know he did something up at Wazzu, but not at Saint Louis. Yuen was employed at Punahou at the time of the incidents. Different scenarios.
I know that Gesser’s crimes didn’t happen at STL, but the school took a lot of heat in the comment section of staradvertiser when his story came out. Regarding our situation, it raises a ton of questions. It also happened during a very dark time (save for the 2005 FB team’s ILH title, which snapped St. Louis’s record streak) for our athletic program. Fact is, every school's got bad apples.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

gopunahou wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:36 pm
I know that Gesser’s crimes didn’t happen at STL, but the school took a lot of heat in the comment section of staradvertiser when his story came out. Regarding our situation, it raises a ton of questions. It also happened during a very dark time (save for the 2005 FB team’s ILH title, which snapped St. Louis’s record streak) for our athletic program. Fact is, every school's got bad apples.
Agreed every school has their skeletons in their closet. But from what I’ve read of the lawsuit...... it’s bad. Like from top to bottom bad. Punahou administration knew and swept it under the rug. What Gesser did, he did on his own with no one at St. Louis covering for him.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

EITSwarrior wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:38 pm
gopunahou wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:36 pm

Agreed every school has their skeletons in their closet. But from what I’ve read of the lawsuit...... it’s bad. Like from top to bottom bad. Punahou administration knew and swept it under the rug. What Gesser did, he did on his own with no one at St. Louis covering for him.
If that IS the case, that’s shocking. Considering who Ilima MacFarlane’s father is.

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

So Ane on paid leave for now. Leonard Lau is interim football HC.

Also today Ilima-Lei posts her dad was fired ( via text message) but Punahou then releases a statement saying that was a miscommunication??? Now Walter Macfarlane saying there was no miscommunication and that he was told he couldn't work there anymore.