Punahou girl's basketball - what is going on?

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Punahou girl's basketball - what is going on?

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

You know, I've been thinking since my last post last night. If I were a high school AD looking for a coach for a girls' team--especially a vars team--I would look for a female coach, if one is available. If one isn't, I would look for an older guy; the older, the better. And, before I hire him/her, I would tell him/her that I need to meet the ACs he/she would bring with him/her. I would prefer that the ACs be female, though of course, it's unlikely that they'll all be females. If there are male ACs, I'd like them to be older; the older, the better. I would discuss this with my Principal, too. I would tell my Principal straight-up, privately: "You and I don't want to be sued. Not only would it be very traumatic for us; it would also create bad press for our school." Earlier in this post, I mentioned that this is critical especially for a vars girls' team. That's because those girls are older, and would be closer to the age of the coach(es). I wouldn't mention this strategy to any of my candidates, because they might accuse me of age-discrimination and/or sex-discrimination. I would also tell my principal that we should keep this policy under our hats. I mean, in this day and age, a high school AD needs to protect him/her self. If sexual abuse and/or sexual assault are going down on the part of the coaches against the girls, the AD and Principal get sued, in addition to the coach(es) involved. If you're an AD, you simply have to protect yourself. It's a shame that it's come to this, but, look at what happened at Punahou School. That could happen at any high school that has girls. It's really a sad commentary about the times we live in.

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

In the court docs, one of the claims is that Yuen would openly talk about his perverted actions in front of other coaches and supposedly even showed his own dick pic to Liz Kam and she just laughed it off as "Dwayne being Dwayne."

When the Campbell softball stuff happened a few years ago, I did notice they added a few female assistants to staff afterward. But their head coach is up there in years too and it still happened. Even worse is that the coach that did it even had a daughter that was an underclassman on the JV team I think. So idk. You don't know what messed up urges or intentions people will have. It's really just up to the administrators to make sure they're hiring the right people and have the right checks and balances in place so that even in the unfortunate chance that it still does happen, at least quick action can be taken and not covered up

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Neighbor wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 8:22 pm In the court docs, one of the claims is that Yuen would openly talk about his perverted actions in front of other coaches and supposedly even showed his own dick pic to Liz Kam and she just laughed it off as "Dwayne being Dwayne."

When the Campbell softball stuff happened a few years ago, I did notice they added a few female assistants to staff afterward. But their head coach is up there in years too and it still happened. Even worse is that the coach that did it even had a daughter that was an underclassman on the JV team I think. So idk. You don't know what messed up urges or intentions people will have. It's really just up to the administrators to make sure they're hiring the right people and have the right checks and balances in place so that even in the unfortunate chance that it still does happen, at least quick action can be taken and not covered up
@Neighbor: Yes, I had heard about the allegations regarding Campbell High's softball team last year. So, yeah, I guess that shows that even older guys might prey on high school girls. OK, so if an AD has to hire a coach for a girls' team--especially a vars girls' team--the ideal situation would still be that there's an applicant who's female. If there isn't a female applicant, an AD would want a male known to him/her, or at least a male who's known in the coaching community. Then the AD could make the rounds and vet him. Before the AD hires him, he/she should mention, "Two high schools have had problems recently regarding sexual assault and sexual harassment, so please understand that I'm very concerned about that kind of thing. Also, please watch your assistants closely." That tells the new coach that the AD is onto such matters as sexual assault and sexual harassment, and explicitly tells the new coach that he/she is responsible for the behavior of the ACs. I don't know how much more an AD can do or say. Think of all the vars girls' teams there are at any high school, in every sport. Who knows what could be developing between the coach(es) and girls on any of those teams, at any of those high schools. It's pretty scary. You're exposed to a lot of liability. I'm not sure I'd want to be a high school AD.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

I've met Mr. Yuen myself. He seemed arrogant but nice.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 10:29 pm I've met Mr. Yuen myself. He seemed arrogant but nice.
@gopunahou: Well, he sure screwed-over his and your alma mater. But, he's in deep legal doo-doo because of it.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 10:51 pm
gopunahou wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 10:29 pm I've met Mr. Yuen myself. He seemed arrogant but nice.
@gopunahou: Well, he sure screwed-over his and your alma mater. But, he's in deep legal doo-doo because of it.
My advice: don't let him give the whole school a bad name
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 11:57 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 10:51 pm
My advice: don't let him give the whole school a bad name
@gopunahou: I would agree. ANY and EVERY high school has alumni that are/were guilty of serious legal infractions. Doesn't mean the school should be scorned. After all, once the person graduates, the school has no control over him/her. The person becomes an "independent actor." Having said that, what Yuen did still embarrasses Punahou School because he's an alumnus. But, as you said, it shouldn't give the whole school a bad name.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Uhh...How can this guy be considered an "independent actor" when he was employed by his high school alma mater during the time the allegations are stated to have happened that are putting him in the dock? It's not like he went to another school as a coach and wound up in hot water,he went back to his alma mater and got into trouble.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

unpaid wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 12:03 pm Uhh...How can this guy be considered an "independent actor" when he was employed by his high school alma mater during the time the allegations are stated to have happened that are putting him in the dock? It's not like he went to another school as a coach and wound up in hot water,he went back to his alma mater and got into trouble.
@unpaid: No, I don't mean "independent actor" in a legal sense; that's why I put the term in quotation marks. But sorry, I see why that caused confusion. (Actually, I think the correct legal term would be, "independent contractor.") What I meant in my earlier post is that Punahou School had no actual physical control of him once he graduated. But when you think about it, no school has actual physical control of even students. Anyway, I meant that what he did reflects on Punahou School simply because he's an alumnus of that school. But beyond that, it's not that we should rag on the school as if the school has direct control of its alumni.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

HS Football Fanatic,

We're cool! I was responding to the thought,not the poster personally.

Punahou isn't responsible for the actions of it's alumnae,but they probably have to take some responsibility for the actions of their employee within a school setting,so,we will see what happens with the coach. Once that legality gets settled,then there may or may not be further legal action against his school bosses. How does the school respond? We will see.

bandits1
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by bandits1 »

It seems a couple of guys here are already letting Punahou off the hook. For the sake of this conversation, let's assume that the accusers' allegations are NOT 100% made up. If any one part of it is true, that's really bad. If most/all of it is true, that's really, really, REALLY bad. When all is said and done, there might be strong evidence that the school was/is/continues to be complicit in a child-rape culture, or at least guilty of a cover-up of said culture.

We'll see how much responsibility the school accepts and/or how many people they throw under the bus to take the fall in an effort to keep their reputation "pristine". Unless I misread the news articles, police weren't notified at the time of the complaints, so given what should be any school's #1 responsibility of being child-advocates, that's already breaking the law as far as I understand. Step 1: You HAVE to call the police. If you fail to do step 1, what you do in steps 2 and 3 don't really matter much. You've already failed the children.

And again, assuming the accusers aren't flat-out lying, Ane is already cooked, IMO. As the assistant AD he either had partial/complete knowledge of these happenings and didn't handle it properly(to put it lightly), or if he claims he knew absolutely nothing about it, then he was asleep at the wheel. ADs and assistant ADs are 100% responsible for any and all persons allowed to assist their sports program in any capacity, right? If it's at all sports-related then the buck stops with them, right? Either way, I don't think there is -- or at least there shouldn't be -- a way out of this mess where he comes out squeaky clean. Should be a lose-lose situation for him given the severity of the crimes.
Last edited by bandits1 on Thu May 21, 2020 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

bandits1 wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 1:19 pm It seems a couple of guys here are already letting Punahou off the hook. For the sake of this conversation, let's assume that the accusers' allegations are NOT 100% made up. If any one part of it is true, that's really bad. If most/all of it is true, that's really, really, REALLY bad. When all is said and done, there might be strong evidence that the school was/is/continues to be complicit in a child-rape culture, or at least guilty of a cover-up of said culture.

We'll see how much responsibility they accept and/or how many people they throw under the bus to take the fall in an effort to keep their reputation "pristine". Unless I misread the news articles, police weren't notified at the time of the complaints, so given what should be any school's #1 responsibility of being child-advocates, that's already breaking the law as far as I understand. Step 1: You HAVE to call the police. If you fail to do step 1, what you do in steps 2 and 3 don't really matter much. You've already failed the children.

And again, assuming the accusers aren't flat-out lying, Ane is already cooked, IMO. As the assistant AD he either had partial/complete knowledge of these happenings and didn't handle it properly(to put it lightly), or if he claims he knew absolutely nothing about it, then he was asleep at the wheel. ADs and assistant ADs are 100% responsible for any and all persons allowed to assist their sports program in any capacity, right? If it's at all sports-related then the buck stops with them, right? Either way, I don't think there is -- or at least there shouldn't be -- a way out of this mess where he comes out squeaky clean. Should be a lose-lose situation for him given the severity of the crimes.
@bandits1: Well, yes, all that you said is true. I really don't know what to think. On one hand, I don't like Punahou School. On the other hand, we know that what happened there could happen at any high school that has girls. As Assistant AD, yes, Ane is going to get hit. But, from what I've heard, he's a nice guy and a class act. I feel bad for everyone caught-up in this mess, including the girls.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

I’ve said this tons of times—this situation raises tons of questions. Why the hell would we protect Dwayne Yuen, who didn’t serve a high position and isn’t an important alum? There was another scandal that plagued us in the mid-2000s with our wrestling team (in which one of the assistant coaches was participating in a hazing ritual). We took it on the chin and fired the coach.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 3:37 pm I’ve said this tons of times—this situation raises tons of questions. Why the hell would we protect Dwayne Yuen, who didn’t serve a high position and isn’t an important alum? There was another scandal that plagued us in the mid-2000s with our wrestling team (in which one of the assistant coaches was participating in a hazing ritual). We took it on the chin and fired the coach.
@gopunahou: This whole scandal is like unpeeling the layers of an onion. The more you peel, the more your eyes water. God knows how much of this kind of stuff is going-on at other high schools on Oahu. And, you or may not have heard about the hazing scandal involving the University of Kentucky cheerleaders. The girls were made to parade naked in front of some male alumni. So, this kind of stuff is going-on on the high school and college levels.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 4:01 pm
gopunahou wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 3:37 pm I’ve said this tons of times—this situation raises tons of questions. Why the hell would we protect Dwayne Yuen, who didn’t serve a high position and isn’t an important alum? There was another scandal that plagued us in the mid-2000s with our wrestling team (in which one of the assistant coaches was participating in a hazing ritual). We took it on the chin and fired the coach.
@gopunahou: This whole scandal is like unpeeling the layers of an onion. The more you peel, the more your eyes water. God knows how much of this kind of stuff is going-on at other high schools on Oahu. And, you or may not have heard about the hazing scandal involving the University of Kentucky cheerleaders. The girls were made to parade naked in front of some male alumni. So, this kind of stuff is going-on on the high school and college levels.
Even the great Cal Lee had a moment of shame. He was sued by a former player who claimed that Lee instructed some assistants to “kick the player’s okole.” As for the Kentucky cheerleaders, hopefully it’ll bring to their basketball team, a team I can’t stand.