Punahou girl's basketball - what is going on?

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Punahou girl's basketball - what is going on?

Post by gopunahou »

This situation continues to raise more questions.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

There are parallels to the Sandusky scandal at Penn State.An assistant coach was accused of sex abuse of students for around a 10-year period.He went to prison after the trial.

At Penn State,that was just the beginning.Authorities also prosecuted the president,vice-president,and athletic director for basically turning a blind eye and not reporting the coach's conduct to police.All three were terminated from Penn State ,found guilty at trial,and went to jail. The Penn State board of trustees forced long-time head coach Joe Paterno out of his HC job.

Now,if the assistant coach at Punahou had been abusing students for as many years as being reported,then it would be logical to assume that some of the defendant's superiors in the Punahou administration might be facing prosecution for not reporting child abuse if the DA's office believes they can prove that some of them knew about the alleged abuse but did not report it.

This could get uglier than it is now real quick.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Delete
Last edited by gopunahou on Wed May 13, 2020 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

gopunahou wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 3:22 pm If there is a cover-up, did Walter MacFarlane contribute to it? I’d hate to even consider that possibility and can’t imagine it being one.
Why would you even bring that up?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

I dislike Punahou School more than I dislike any other high school on the island. However, I'm saddened by the tragedy surrounding their girls' basketball program. It would be one thing if their team ended-up last; I'd like that. But, when Punahou alumnae start suing their alma mater, I'm saddened by it. There's something awful about that. I'm not saying that the girls don't have a case, but when people start suing their alma mater, I feel there's something terribly ugly and tragic about it. I.e., I don't like Punahou School, but I hate to see them being sued by their own alumnae. I don't want to see ANY high school have that happen to them. Is Yuen a Punahou alumnus?

I have to believe that even the current students of Punahou School are disturbed by this situation, not to mention the alumni as a whole. I hope the lawsuit(s) are resolved quickly, and that the school can put this behind itself. I don't want Punahou School to win games or titles, but I want its students and alumni to feel whole again, and to be able to embrace their school / alma mater emotionally. EVERY high school's students and alumni deserve that.
Last edited by HS Football Fanatic on Tue May 19, 2020 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 11:19 am I dislike Punahou School more than I dislike any other high school on the island. However, I'm saddened by the tragedy surrounding their girls' basketball program. It would be one thing if their team ended-up last; I'd like that. But, when Punahou alumnae start suing their alma mater, I'm saddened by it. There's something awful about that. I'm not saying that the girls don't have a case, but when people start suing their alma mater, I feel there's something terribly ugly and tragic about it. I.e., I don't like Punahou School, but I hate to see them being sued by their own alumnae. I don't want to see ANY high school have that happen to them. Is Yuen a Punahou alumnus?
Not sure if Yuen is a Punahou alumni, but Mike Taylor and Ane are.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

EITSwarrior wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 11:35 am
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 11:19 am I dislike Punahou School more than I dislike any other high school on the island. However, I'm saddened by the tragedy surrounding their girls' basketball program. It would be one thing if their team ended-up last; I'd like that. But, when Punahou alumnae start suing their alma mater, I'm saddened by it. There's something awful about that. I'm not saying that the girls don't have a case, but when people start suing their alma mater, I feel there's something terribly ugly and tragic about it. I.e., I don't like Punahou School, but I hate to see them being sued by their own alumnae. I don't want to see ANY high school have that happen to them. Is Yuen a Punahou alumnus?
Not sure if Yuen is a Punahou alumni, but Mike Taylor and Ane are.
Sorry, I edited my last post while you posted THIS one. If you look back, you can see that all I did was add the last paragraph.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 11:19 am I have to believe that even the current students of Punahou School are disturbed by this situation, not to mention the alumni as a whole. I hope the lawsuit(s) are resolved quickly, and that the school can put this behind itself. I don't want Punahou School to win games or titles, but I want its students and alumni to feel whole again, and to be able to embrace their school / alma mater emotionally. EVERY high school's students and alumni deserve that.
For what its worth, this is just what I heard from my nieces friends who attend Punahou in high school, they are very much indeed disturbed by the situation but at the same time don't believe such a thing can or did happen at their school and that these allegations are just allegations. I chalk it up to them being young and naive to the whole situation and the bigger world that lies ahead. Again this just some of my nieces friends that attend Punahou. I'm sure there are many other current Punahou students that fully understand the seriousness.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

EITSwarrior wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 12:13 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 11:19 am I have to believe that even the current students of Punahou School are disturbed by this situation, not to mention the alumni as a whole. I hope the lawsuit(s) are resolved quickly, and that the school can put this behind itself. I don't want Punahou School to win games or titles, but I want its students and alumni to feel whole again, and to be able to embrace their school / alma mater emotionally. EVERY high school's students and alumni deserve that.
For what its worth, this is just what I heard from my nieces friends who attend Punahou in high school, they are very much indeed disturbed by the situation but at the same time don't believe such a thing can or did happen at their school and that these allegations are just allegations. I chalk it up to them being young and naive to the whole situation and the bigger world that lies ahead. Again this just some of my nieces friends that attend Punahou. I'm sure there are many other current Punahou students that fully understand the seriousness.
@EITSwarrior: Yeah, sounds like your niece's friends are in denial. I guess it's not surprising; teens are still young, and denial is a popular defense mechanism.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 1:05 pm
EITSwarrior wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 12:13 pm
@EITSwarrior: Yeah, sounds like your niece's friends are in denial. I guess it's not surprising; teens are still young, and denial is a popular defense mechanism.
Yeah I chalked it up to that.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

I have to believe that even the current students of Punahou School are disturbed by this situation, not to mention the alumni as a whole. I hope the lawsuit(s) are resolved quickly, and that the school can put this behind itself. I don't want Punahou School to win games or titles, but I want its students and alumni to feel whole again, and to be able to embrace their school / alma mater emotionally. EVERY high school's students and alumni deserve that.
He is.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 3:32 pm

He is.
@gopunahou: Well, Yuen has really dragged his alma mater through the mud, and he's victimized girls who were/are students there. Obviously, he's also brought trouble down upon his own head. Other than that, I don't want to pile-on; he obviously has enough trouble as it is. gopunahou, you know I don't care for your alma mater, so you might be wondering why I should even give a rip. Well, I simply don't want any high school to be sued, especially by its own alumnae. I guess that's what's driving me. I'm not going to dislike any high school so much that I won't be saddened that it's experiencing a tragedy like this. This goes beyond games, titles, and sports in general.

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

The court documents have transcripts of messages Yuen had sent to Jane Doe through Facebook or email or whatever.

Also seen on Twitter a lady tweeted out some stuff about it:
"I’m so sorry Ilima and Shawna. I saw what was happening. I was there. You told me. But I couldn’t help. I was a kid too. I sincerely hope you get the justice you girls rightly deserve. Dwayne Yuen your time is up."

"“Well why didn’t you say anything when it happened” First of all, I was a child"

"Stuck between “I know too much and need to say something” and “I’m not in a place where I feel I can safely say anything”"

"Some friends saying it’s okay I don’t say anything. Some friends saying it’s immoral if I don’t. Idk what to do"
So as tough as it may seem to believe, there definitely was something going on and it seems a lot of the coaches kinda covered it up. The court documents also claim a bunch of those assistants were involved in "inappropriate relationships" and they were all in their early 20's when it happened.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Neighbor wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 11:12 pm The court documents have transcripts of messages Yuen had sent to Jane Doe through Facebook or email or whatever.

Also seen on Twitter a lady tweeted out some stuff about it:
"I’m so sorry Ilima and Shawna. I saw what was happening. I was there. You told me. But I couldn’t help. I was a kid too. I sincerely hope you get the justice you girls rightly deserve. Dwayne Yuen your time is up."

"“Well why didn’t you say anything when it happened” First of all, I was a child"

"Stuck between “I know too much and need to say something” and “I’m not in a place where I feel I can safely say anything”"

"Some friends saying it’s okay I don’t say anything. Some friends saying it’s immoral if I don’t. Idk what to do"
So as tough as it may seem to believe, there definitely was something going on and it seems a lot of the coaches kinda covered it up. The court documents also claim a bunch of those assistants were involved in "inappropriate relationships" and they were all in their early 20's when it happened.
@Neighbor: I think that's one of the problems when the coaches are only a few years older than the girls. Of course, that doesn't make it right, what they did. But, you can kind of see the temptations that might arise. I think this is a tragedy for everyone concerned. As someone who doesn't like Punahou School, I'm going to say something I never thought I would: Punahou alumni, keep your heads up. This, too, shall pass. Your alma mater is going to come-out on the other side. I don't think the lawsuits will force them to close or something.

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

May 12, 2020 The Sports Animals (including Punahou alum Chris Hart) radio interview with Bellator MMA Champion Ilima-Lei McFarlane.....

https://soundcloud.com/espnhonolulu/ili ... ay-12-2020