Punahou girl's basketball - what is going on?

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Punahou girl's basketball - what is going on?

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

gopunahou wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 4:18 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 4:01 pm
gopunahou wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 3:37 pm I’ve said this tons of times—this situation raises tons of questions. Why the hell would we protect Dwayne Yuen, who didn’t serve a high position and isn’t an important alum? There was another scandal that plagued us in the mid-2000s with our wrestling team (in which one of the assistant coaches was participating in a hazing ritual). We took it on the chin and fired the coach.
@gopunahou: This whole scandal is like unpeeling the layers of an onion. The more you peel, the more your eyes water. God knows how much of this kind of stuff is going-on at other high schools on Oahu. And, you or may not have heard about the hazing scandal involving the University of Kentucky cheerleaders. The girls were made to parade naked in front of some male alumni. So, this kind of stuff is going-on on the high school and college levels.
Even the great Cal Lee had a moment of shame. He was sued by a former player who claimed that Lee instructed some assistants to “kick the player’s okole.” As for the Kentucky cheerleaders, hopefully it’ll bring to their basketball team, a team I can’t stand.
@gopunahou: Well, I think most guys know that Cal was a taskmaster. I heard that if the team lost a game, he would run them into the ground at the next practice, and they would practice until late. It was what it was. But, of course now he's going to be only an AC for the upcoming season. As for Kentucky, well, I'm neutral towards them. The college I don't care for is Stanford.

bandits1
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Re: Punahou girl's basketball - what is going on?

Post by bandits1 »

gopunahou wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 3:37 pm I’ve said this tons of times—this situation raises tons of questions. Why the hell would we protect Dwayne Yuen, who didn’t serve a high position and isn’t an important alum? There was another scandal that plagued us in the mid-2000s with our wrestling team (in which one of the assistant coaches was participating in a hazing ritual). We took it on the chin and fired the coach.
You don't honestly think a cover up, if there is/was one, would be to benefit Yuen do you? It clearly would be done to protect Punahou's "good name" and likely it's athletic program, too. And hazing is nothing compared to multiple sexual assaults, statutory rapes and subsequent cover ups spanning years, maybe decades. I doubt Punahou simply stands by and takes that on the chin.