Why is Nelson Maeda out as Head Coach at Castle?

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
Duster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Why is Nelson Maeda out as Head Coach at Castle?

Post by Duster »

Just checking to see if you all who closely follow the high school sports scene have any knowledge on this. It almost resembles the situation involving Reggie Torres at Kahuku.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Why is Nelson Maeda out as Head Coach at Castle?

Post by gopunahou »

The only plausible explanation is that they wanted somebody fresh and wished to go in a different direction. They were coming off of a solid season. Nowhere near as good as they were when Joel Botelho was the QB but still a contender to make the D1 playoffs. Maeda never complained about playing Kahuku or Farrington and always told his kids, "if you don't think you can win, go home."
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

twnoexcuses
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by twnoexcuses »

Maeda has probably been on shaky ground ever since sending his kid to Punahou. Wonder how he survived this long.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

twnoexcuses wrote:Maeda has probably been on shaky ground ever since sending his kid to Punahou. Wonder how he survived this long.
@twnoexcuses: Well, that shouldn't have been a problem. I know of an OIA AD who sent his kid to Punahou, and he (the AD) didn't get pushed-out. (I'm not going to mention the AD's name, so please don't ask.)

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote:The only plausible explanation is that they wanted somebody fresh and wished to go in a different direction. They were coming off of a solid season. Nowhere near as good as they were when Joel Botelho was the QB but still a contender to make the D1 playoffs. Maeda never complained about playing Kahuku or Farrington and always told his kids, "if you don't think you can win, go home."
@gopunahou: I'm not connected to Castle High in any way, so I'm not privy to inside-info as to why he was let go. It does seem like sort of a raw deal for Maeda. He had been HC there for so long, and--as you said--he came-off a pretty good season this year. Worse, he's a counselor there, so you'd think things might be kind of awkward at the school between he and the AD. And, you figure the AD may have had to go through the Principal, so might there be awkwardness between Maeda and the Principal, too? After all, he didn't want to leave the HC position; he was pushed out. At the same time, who knows: What if the AD was getting pressure to let him go, for whatever reason(s)? It's an unfortunate situation all around, but I think you have to feel sorry for Maeda, the way it all went down. Heard he was already gearing things up for next football season--and possibly even summer pass-league?-- when they broke the news to him.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote:
twnoexcuses wrote:Maeda has probably been on shaky ground ever since sending his kid to Punahou. Wonder how he survived this long.
@twnoexcuses: Well, that shouldn't have been a problem. I know of an OIA AD who sent his kid to Punahou, and he (the AD) didn't get pushed-out. (I'm not going to mention the AD's name, so please don't ask.)
Reggie Torres's son (the only older one) is a Kamehameha graduate. That fact never seemed to bother Kahuku.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote:
HS Football Fanatic wrote:
Reggie Torres's son (the only older one) is a Kamehameha graduate. That fact never seemed to bother Kahuku.
@gopunahou: I think what it is, is if you're a coach or AD at an OIA school, you can send your kid to a private school and nothing's going to happen to you, IF you're in tight with the Principal.