Way too soon football Top Tens.

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Way too soon football Top Tens.

Post by unpaid »

Spring football is starting up. I don'T have the dirt on transfers so let's get down to the team's that will be the players for the championships in D-I and D-II. Who you got? Here are my teams if I had to rank today for 2016 football.
D-I
1.Kahuku
2.St.Louis
3. Waianae
4.Punahou
5.Kapolei
6.Farrington
7.Kamehameha
8.Kailua
9.Hilo
10.Moanalua
Darkhorses,Aiea,Castle,and Mililani

D-II

1.Kapaa
2.Damien
3.St.Francis
4.Konawaena
5.Kaimuki
6.Lahainaluna
7.Kamehameha-Hawaii
8.Pac-5
9.Kalani
10.Pearl City
Dark horses,Kamehameha-Maui,Waimea,Waipahu( being demoted from D-I)

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Way too soon football Top Tens.

Post by gopunahou »

Does Waianae return a lot of players? Can't imagine Mililani falling down that far, either, although they do lose pretty much everybody.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Gopunahou,

Waianae should have Javen Towne,RB,and Isaiah Freeney,wr,coming back on offense.On defense,linebacker should be a position of strength with 200+ pounders Jaylen Gonzales and Toto Mailo. Bigbangah has posted a video with game stats of maybe the next Searider starting QB.In the Jv championship game against Kahuku,Rico Rosario ran for over a 100 yards on 10 carries..that is some good production and it opened up his passing game a little as he completed two throws for 10 yards a pop on average. So,I think Waianae has some nice pieces returning and some upcoming talent from the Jv.

Mililani has lost several two to three year starters to graduation.Milton, Malepeai,Timoteo,Liva,Agasiva...and the list goes on.I don't think the cupboard is bare,but it is hard to know because the graduates from last year played so much and were so tied to the run Mililani had the past three years.Due to injuries,we did get a brief glimpse of some kids who might step up like Dillon Gabriel at QB,and Vavae's younger brother at runningback( apologize I don't recall his name.)I think the Trojan program is solid,it's just that Mililani lost a lot of star power all at once ,and now we will find out how solid the program is this year when a different group of players have a chance to start their own run at Mililani. I would not be surprised if the Trojans are in the top ten by year's end,but it will be tough to rank them early because they have St.Louis in interleague again this fall...and this year it will not be an even matchup.

Kapolei is interesting.We've all heard the complaints about the Hurricanes having the talent but not the results. June Jones is really on the field this spring for Kapolei so he might be there in the fall too. Taulia Tagovailoa is going to be instructed by a master of the run and shoot so coaching should not be a complaint here.It's not just the QB,the receivers,and even the linemen are going to get some college knowledge from Coach Jones.I think maybe production will equal potential for Kapolei.

Obviously,I can't leave out Punahou.The Puns have some offensive capability to build on in Nick Kapule,QB, Eamon Brady,wr and Logan Williams at RB. There is another Kaumatule coming,and he is the biggest yet. Noah was what,6-9 as a freshman tight end,dl.
He is already a matchup problem for any defensive back on offense,and ,if they stick him in the middle of the line.he will definitely
Have a chance to bat down some passes.

Dog 96707
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by Dog 96707 »

Should be exciting. News of kids transferring and new coaches make the off season an interesting time. Lol. I still believe kahuku is the team to beat, and it's really not even close. They are hands down the most talented team with lots of returning players as well as a great coaching staff. I've been hearing about transfers coming back from Utah, but nothing confirmed. After them, it'll be interesting........the top ilh team should be punahou, they return their whole offense, minus 2 OL and RB. and their D will return a lot of key players as well. They are the team to beat in the ilh.
St.louis has all the hype with tua and slade returning. But few seem to realize that they lose 4 of 5 OL and 2 of 3 DL, that's really a big deal. Also, they are losing at least 3 kids going back to kahuku, 1 going to mililani, and a few leaving for mainland schools. Their jv wasn't too good either, so unless they can get some outer island transfers that they can plug in, I'm pretty sure they won't compete with puns.
Kam has a new coach, Abu Maafala. They lose a lot of key players also, but always seem to have petty good talent. Plus, their jv team took the championship last season, they had some good young talent on that squad. Yam and Cabunoc should be an awesome combo this season.
The 3 oia teams behind kahuku should be Kapolei, Mililani and Waianae...also gotta throw farrington in the mix too
Kapolei has been getting all the offseason hype with their revolving door of OC's now landing the great June Jones this season. the word is, they have been working like crazy out there installing jj's run and shoot O. They have a great young qb in place to make that O go. They too lose a few kids, the savea boys leaving to head to orem high school and sarono, who has transferred to a hs in Oregon. but even without them, Kapolei is loaded with players to fill in.
It should be a great season

bigbangah
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by bigbangah »

I agree with the Ranking!!!! Waianae returns Starting QB Jaren Ulu Smartest kid on the feild, great leader, big arm!!! Rico Rosario is all-Purpose can play anywhere RB/slot Can take it to the house on any touch!!! When these guys where Jv they won the Championship!!! Four of the 5 starting OL return!!!

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

You sure Logan Williams is moving from LB to RB? If so, he'll follow in the tradition of two Ryans--Nobriga (c/o 2006) and Tuiasoa (c/o 2013)--kids who were studs at LB but switched to RB as seniors. And is it a guarantee that Abu Maafala will be the HC of KS-Oahu? That'll be interesting. I know Abu personally. I also know that Abu and Joel Botelho (RIP) were great friends in elementary school, as they attended the same one. Abu on D and Joel doing his damage on offense--that was an all-star elementary school team! :) :) :)
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

politclyincrekt
Play Maker
Play Maker
NFL: Chicago Bears

Post by politclyincrekt »

For Division II, I think Kaimuki should be ranked higher. We saw a glimpse of what they can do last year and, if they can sort out a few kinks, they have the potential to be a championship team again this year...especially with Radford moving up.

rednblue
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by rednblue »

1. Kahuku
I expect the same old dominating defense but more of a John Hao passing game. Don't be surprised to see freshman Sol-Jay Maiava starting at QB out of Laie Park, kid had opportunities to play basically anywhere here and some big time mainland programs. Defense will have studs: DE Vimahi, DE Reed, DB/LB Miki Ah You, DB Kaniho, DB Botehlo, DB Sauvao.

2. Punahou
They return a lot of guys, they were young last year and it will pay off. Most interesting will be the QB competition between Senior Nick Kapule (did a beautiful job when in last year for Tuliloa) and Junior to be Stephen Barber Jr. (Dual Threat, Dangerous Potential). As mentioned before Noah-Falcon Kaumatule will be coming up, as will talented Sophomore to be LB Maninoa Tufono. Not to mention most of OL intact including Junior to be Alama Uluave, brother of Semisi (CAL). Receiving core will be the best in the state. TE/DE/OT Jack-Eli Tufono is probably the most underrated player in the ILH.

3. Saint Louis
They have Tua. They did lose a lot of talent and leadership in the trenches on offense and defense. The OL will be under watch early in the season, only returning Mikey Minihan from last year. If he stays healthy, I'd like to see more of Jahred Silofau getting touches, he seemed to have disappeared from Ron Lee's playbook last year. DL will have some experience back with Malepeai and Freitas. Watch out for Sophomore to be DL Faatui Tuitele (6-3/270), he is an absolute beast coming up from JV... Tupu Alualu as well. They return probably the best LB core in the state with Isaac Slade-Matautia and Juniors to be Dylan Toilolo and Noa Purcell. Junior Isaiah Tufaga and Seniors Iosefo Noga and Jalen Saole will be covering the backend.

4. Kapolei
Yup, I'm buying in. Taulia's got talent and now Taulia's got June Jones too. Offense will be running efficiently. The defense has Senior to be Myron Tagovailoa-Amosa on the line, with Junior to be Rocky Savea headlining a very talented LB core. Lookout for Senior Leonard Lee on the backend as well.

5. Waianae
They return some talent from last year, and the depth to contend physically with anyone in the OIA. Senior Onesemus Lutu-Clarke (6-5/290) is capable of opening some gaping holes for the Waianae backfield and the D return some ballers in the front seven.

6. Kamehameha
7. Mililani
8. Farrington
9. Moanalua
10. Radford
Last edited by rednblue on Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Good stuff guys! I like the insight and info you are responding with.

When Colt Brennan's paperwork clears,Moanalua QB Alakai Yuen will be getting some good instruction from a coach who has experienced success on the college level as a player.

I wonder if the trend that began with Rich Miano going to Kaiser for a few years is going to continue. June Jones,Colt Brennan,who might be next in the coming years?

Bee-ai-boi
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Bee-ai-boi »

I am from the Big Island so yes I am a little biased. JMHO but I feel Konawaena deserves a higher ranking. They beat two of the three teams above them last season. They also gave everual state champ a run for their money. Going off of your returning impact player reasoning, I believe you stated in a previous post that Damien and St.Francis has 5 each returning. Going off of your basis for an impact player, Konawaena returns 8. It seems like they have a good coaching staff, and a solid j.v. program, and are a program on the rise. Again I am B.I. biased...I appreciate your posts, and this is just my opinion.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Questions for me are piling up so I will give the answers as best I can.

Am I sure that Logan Williams is going to be RB for Punahou.?NO. The only person who can answer that is Coach Ane. Here is what I believe as an outsider looking in on the Pun football team. They have a lot coming back on both sides of the ball. Taulapapa has graduated so RB is a position of need for them. In the last five years it is clear to me that Coach Ane likes to have a feature back who gets the majority of carries on the ground. It has traditionally gone to a 5-10 to 6-1 190-200LB guy who carries the ground load.
Logan Williams can play the position,has the physical attributes to match recent predecessors at Punahou RB, and the defense can lose one linebacker and carry on while the RB position gains a potential player to keep production up and the team wins. JMHO.

Should Kaimuki be ranked higher than 5? The Bulldogs lost in the first round to Lahainaluna in the D-II playoffs last year .D-II is a 6 team playoff . That means if they lost in the first round they were either the 6 or 5 team in the state based on on the field results.
Sorry,but that's in black and white. The good news is that 2016 is a new year and all the teams get to write a new chapter. It is just a preseason rank. Very subjective. Wen da whistle blows in da fall,it's wins and losses. Let us see what these kids do.

Should I have put Konawaena higher than 4? My feeling here is that ,since the Wildcats beat Damien and St.Francis last year ,you really want to know why I don't have them at No.2. The short answer is ,for all the program building Coach Walter and Coach Uemoto have done, the Wildcats have not advanced past the second round to get into a championship final. So 3 or 4 would be appropriate for Konawaena now,I think. Again. When the season starts its win and losses for me...lets see what happens.

Bee-ai-boi
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Bee-ai-boi »

Ok...I get it with Damien, they were the runner up in 2003. St.Francis hasnt been to states. Not sure but I believe they have at most 5 wins since starting football.(No offense to St.Francis). Are they that loaded and talented? Just curious. It's all Good where you ranked Kona no arguments here...just wondered why those two teams were put above them.

gridiron22
Pine rider
Pine rider
NBA: LakersChargers
NFL: chargers

Post by gridiron22 »

This centurys Waianae teams reminds me of Farrington, good but not good enough. Every year the D1 champion teams have a good amount of players that make all star lists. Kahuku last year, Mililani the year before.

Waianae's two or three elite players always jump ship to attend private schools leaving them a little empty handed. Everytime they field a good squad another school will have more talent (Mililani the past 3 years, Kapolei probably this year).

...and dont forget Kahuku, they are a football factory and this year it sounds like they may be even better then last year which means its not looking good for the rest of the OIA.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

gridiron22 wrote:This centurys Waianae teams reminds me of Farrington, good but not good enough. Every year the D1 champion teams have a good amount of players that make all star lists. Kahuku last year, Mililani the year before.

Waianae's two or three elite players always jump ship to attend private schools leaving them a little empty handed. Everytime they field a good squad another school will have more talent (Mililani the past 3 years, Kapolei probably this year).

...and dont forget Kahuku, they are a football factory and this year it sounds like they may be even better then last year which means its not looking good for the rest of the OIA.
Good point. I miss the Waianae teams of the 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Radford is in the Blue this year and so is Waianae. Radford-Waianae doesn't mean much and hasn't for several decades,but back in the day Waianae was the team we loved to beat,had to beat if we wanted a championship.It was the height of the Ginoza years for the Seariders.

The Rams beat them 14-7,with Bernard Rembert squeezing through the Waianae DL in the last minute for the winning score.The craziest game we played Waianae was the following year in 1969. The Rams were down 34-8 at halftime.Coach Velasco reached down into his bag of tricks.He put five tackles on the Oline and David Kinimaka started throwing downfield.Just like 1968,the game went down to the final seconds. Radford had just about pulled off the comeback...it was 34-32 Waianae and Radford went for the two-point conversion. Waianae bats down the pass,Seariders win. We lost..but what a crazy game. As I recall there was almost one really bad fight after the game,but the coaches broke it up pretty quick..kudos to them. Jeris White was on that Ram squad,senior season,about to go to UH later,to the NFL.

At least for 2016 and 2017 there will be some new memories with my alma mater going up against Waianae just like the old days.