Kahuku Basketball Coach Reinstated

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
Ramashack
High-quality H20 provider

Kahuku Basketball Coach Reinstated

Post by Ramashack »

Just read the Star Advertiser article about Alan Akina being reinstated as Head Boys Basketball Coach. It's the last sentence of the article that caught my eye: http://www.staradvertiser.com/sports/sp ... einstated/
"...Masaniai (Principal) and Yamagata (AD) said they told Akina that he needs to spread out the playing time evenly among all the players."

1) I cannot believe that at the HS VAR level, a coach is being told that all players get even playing time. That's what you do at the neighborhood leagues level.
2) So...their State Champ VAR Football team had the same directive? I assume the policy would be consistent across the board.
3) I would find it hard to coach there

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Re: Kahuku Basketball Coach Reinstated

Post by EITSwarrior »

If I was in that situation, I would go right up to the principal and AD and tell them how they should do their jobs.

MauiGuy
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by MauiGuy »

If that last line is true, this has got pandora's box written all over it. He should go back and tell Admin that all students should get equal time with teachers/tutors. Every teacher should be paid the same and all administrators should be on equal par with their salaries. Really, Admin? C'mon. If the coach hasn't crossed any moral boundaries or violated any rules of conduct, let him coach the way he wants to. Every DOE coach is hired on a year to year basis. If you don't like him, don't renew his contract AFTER the season is over.

I didn't see all the Kahuku football players getting equal playing time...

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

Everyone Plays®
Our program's goal is for kids to play soccer so we mandate that every player on every team must play at least 50 percent of every game. It's no fun to spend the game on the bench..
http://www.ayso.org/aboutayso/ayso_philosophies.htm

Dog 96707

Post by Dog 96707 »

This whole situation is sad and looks bad for the kahuku HS Administration. Parents weren't happy, complain to the Administration, they let him go, and now reinstate him, but he can't coach!?!?!?!?!? Like they say on MNF......C'mon Man!!!!!!

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Looks like Akina is out again. Apparently,Kahuku is searching for a Varsity boy's basketball coach..Figured this would happen. Kahuku makes all the coaches reapply every year. The jobs that get posted are the ones that people learn about.. Looks like the Kahuku admins are gettin their way after all. If a coach gets dismissed in the middle of the season,he might get back in through appeals like Akina did,but Kahuku has a policy for coaches and knew they would open up the job for next year anyway...I'm guessing Coach Akina will not be at Kahuku next season.