Iolani belongs in D1. Period.

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
BullNuts808
Pine rider
Pine rider
MLB: the off season

Re: Iolani belongs in D1. Period.

Post by BullNuts808 »

gopunahou wrote:
sideliner wrote:Now that's lame. The State Champ has been an OIA school 7 out of the last 10 years. Doesn't that tell us that they do just fine with kids from their home neighborhoods? I actually think they have an advantage! OIA schools have kids that have grown up together playing Pop Warner together for 10 years. They have bonds that most ILH kids don't have.

Until the merger happens, if it ever happens...I'd really like to see Iolani play St. Francis and Damien pre-season. Pac-5 not so much because yes, Iolani will dominate them, but St. Francis and Damien might just give Iolani a run for their money!!
Maybe in 2017 and beyond but not next year. Iolani's got a better chance of beating KSK than losing to them (SF and DAM) next year.

If Iolani is playing D1 next year, two things that could happen are playing teams like Castle and Leilehua in the preseason and then having a bye after their first 3 ILH games.

In any case, if Iolani plays at D2 next year, that's screwing the many seniors who wish to play at D1. I think Bullnuts808 will agree that that's the opinion of the football-playing members of the Iolani class of 2017. Unfortunately, Look sounds as if he can't wait to go back to D2 to boost his ego against weaker teams.
gopunahou: just wanted to confirm with the parents there but Yes, for 2016-2017, Iolani will be in the ILH D1.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Bullnuts808: that makes sense, considering they ain't losing a lot of seniors (and DO return a lot of big guys). It also makes sense that they'll wanna go down after next year, considering a lot of their best and biggest players are members of the class of 2017. If they stick with their current ambition, it'll benefit the kids. Iolani's got a better chance of beating Kamehameha next year than losing to any of the "Smaller Three." They've got little chance of beating Punahou and St. Louis next year, but who besides Kahuku is better than those teams?
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

BullNuts808
Pine rider
Pine rider
MLB: the off season

Post by BullNuts808 »

gopunahou wrote:Bullnuts808: that makes sense, considering they ain't losing a lot of seniors (and DO return a lot of big guys). It also makes sense that they'll wanna go down after next year, considering a lot of their best and biggest players are members of the class of 2017. If they stick with their current ambition, it'll benefit the kids. Iolani's got a better chance of beating Kamehameha next year than losing to any of the "Smaller Three." They've got little chance of beating Punahou and St. Louis next year, but who besides Kahuku is better than those teams?
I think Kam will do a lot better this year with Cosbie gone. Although I would like to see Iolani win one so they can stay in D1, I don't think they have an O-Line (deficient in personnel as well as a competent blocking scheme) thats capable of stopping Kam D-Line. Look will be cowering back to D2 in no time where he can be an "all-star" coach again. Iolani 0-6 hana hou.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Nick Abramo said that Iolani was planning to return to D2, but didn't specify if it was for 2016. If that does happen, that's idiotic.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Update: http://www.hawaiiprepworld.com/football ... ment-72026

But for those who hate watching Iolani play in D2, enjoy this while it lasts. I think this is their last year in D1.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

I am not sure that Iolani is definitely going back down to D-II in 2017. They have the option available if they want to,but they don't have to. The key here is that,as I understand the news article, Iolani had the option after just one season to go back down but they didn't. Maybe Coach Look can't wait to get back to D-II,or maybe not. What we can glean from the SA article is that Coach Look wants the players to come to a consensus and that the coaching staff will support them.The players voted to stay up for 2016.The coaches are going to do their best to prepare the team. Good all around.

When the 2016 season is over...what happens if the players have the yearly meeting and vote to stay in D-I for 2017. Does Iolani go down anyway? I would think that would be an uncomfortable position to put yourself in vis-a-vis the players.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

unpaid wrote:I am not sure that Iolani is definitely going back down to D-II in 2017. They have the option available if they want to,but they don't have to. The key here is that,as I understand the news article, Iolani had the option after just one season to go back down but they didn't. Maybe Coach Look can't wait to get back to D-II,or maybe not. What we can glean from the SA article is that Coach Look wants the players to come to a consensus and that the coaching staff will support them.The players voted to stay up for 2016.The coaches are going to do their best to prepare the team. Good all around.

When the 2016 season is over...what happens if the players have the yearly meeting and vote to stay in D-I for 2017. Does Iolani go down anyway? I would think that would be an uncomfortable position to put yourself in vis-a-vis the players.
Very true. What happens this year will go a long way toward their decision to play D1 or D2 in 2017. Regardless, their chances of winning a game don't look good. Their best shot is against Kamehameha since they always struggle (save for 2013 when Cosbie came in) when they change coaches. Yet, if KS stays healthy, the likelihood of victory for Iolani against them is slim. As for beating Punahou and St. Louis--I've got a better chance of dating a model than they do of beating those teams. At least Iolani's preseason schedule ain't as daunting as it was last year. It was the right move for them to stay up considering the big bodies (and skill position talent) for them that are returning, though. If the underclassmen from last year all return, they should have a bigger team than normal, although it likely won't be enough for them to steal a game against one of the Big 3.

sideliner
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by sideliner »

gopunahou wrote:
sideliner wrote:I actually think both opinions are wrong. Iolani doesn't belong in either D1 nor D2. Unfortunately, they fall right in the middle.

Too bad there isn't a Division 1.5
You know what it is? The ILH is too small of a league. That ain't just an Iolani problem--it's everybody's problem in the ILH. The best thing to do is to merge the ILH and the OIA but the OIA will always say "kefe them, let the ILH be small and suffer for it!" Regardless, some OIA schools are doing ILH-esque things (Mililani and Kaiser, anyone?) and making themselves look like ILH schools. OIA, don't let your bitterness and vindictiveness toward the ILH dictate everything! Stop playing the victim and just merge! And for those that think the ILH and OIA should never merge because of all kinds of idiotic excuses--go scratch yourselves!
gopunahou...looks like it may become a reality!! I can't wait to see the outcome :D :hello1: :lol:

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

sideliner wrote:
gopunahou wrote:
sideliner wrote:I actually think both opinions are wrong. Iolani doesn't belong in either D1 nor D2. Unfortunately, they fall right in the middle.

Too bad there isn't a Division 1.5
You know what it is? The ILH is too small of a league. That ain't just an Iolani problem--it's everybody's problem in the ILH. The best thing to do is to merge the ILH and the OIA but the OIA will always say "kefe them, let the ILH be small and suffer for it!" Regardless, some OIA schools are doing ILH-esque things (Mililani and Kaiser, anyone?) and making themselves look like ILH schools. OIA, don't let your bitterness and vindictiveness toward the ILH dictate everything! Stop playing the victim and just merge! And for those that think the ILH and OIA should never merge because of all kinds of idiotic excuses--go scratch yourselves!
gopunahou...looks like it may become a reality!! I can't wait to see the outcome :D :hello1: :lol:
Amen!