what's wrong with the kids?

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
oiaallday
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

what's wrong with the kids?

Post by oiaallday »

Can somebody please tell me what's wrong with the kids these days? I'm hearing from more than a few programs that they have more than 15-20 kids on academic probation for the first week. It seems that it gets worse by the years. Is it the schools, teachers, coaches, parents, or all the above? Are the ILH programs having to deal with these sort of issues?

studfinder
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Re: what's wrong with the kids?

Post by studfinder »

oiaallday wrote:Can somebody please tell me what's wrong with the kids these days? I'm hearing from more than a few programs that they have more than 15-20 kids on academic probation for the first week. It seems that it gets worse by the years. Is it the schools, teachers, coaches, parents, or all the above? Are the ILH programs having to deal with these sort of issues?
Ultimately it is the kids fault for not keeping up academically with their grades. What gets me is that they can have over a 2.0 GPA, but if their core class has an F in the quarter, they disregard the 2.0 GPA. Still yet, that is for the benefit of the kid to not get an F in any class. This electronic age where they text, email, twitter,Facebook Etc.... Keep their minds too occupied!

Getreal$
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Getreal$ »

If you really look into it, kids (but not all) that only play one sport throughout the year have a greater chance of being on academic probation. Losing focus and not having to be accountable is a big factor. All sports have their challenges but football appears to be at a greater risk due to grades being carried over from the previous year, and if the athlete didnt play baseball or run track, grades start to fall off. However, keeping on top of them and being involved with their academic side of life is more important than off season workouts. Whats the use of being an incredible athlete if you can't even get on the field! Only my opinion!

saynotomercs
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by saynotomercs »

I think turnout for sports in general is actually more disturbing. When Roosevelt, who has 500-550 varsity-aged boys in the school, must forfeit a game because of lack of numbers, there is a problem. It's not like everyone is turning out for volleyball or the math team.

Crowe454
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer
MLB: Orioles
NBA: Anybody but the Heat
NFL: Baltimore Ravens

Post by Crowe454 »

It's ridiculous to say the least. You can't blame the Coaches or the Teachers for this generation of kids just being generally lazy. Back when I was playing running gassers or hill sprints was a normal thing during or after practice, nowadays I see so many kids quit just because coach wants to make them run some, or transfer because coach won't coddle them. The thing I miss is school pride, I remember when it wasn't even a thought to play for a school like Campbell and then go and transfer to Waipahu and play ball, (without all of the GE or moving shenanigans, but going there for some personal reason for your own gain). Most kids nowdays would rather start every game for Varsity all four years and lose every single game, rather than be a backup for four years and win states all four years. Or how small crowd turnouts are for teams going through a rebuilding phase like Roosevelt or Kaimuki, that's the thing I always admired about Kahuku, even when they go through a tough time they still have a filled stadium. But ultimately people are only there for the product I suppose, sorry for the rant haha. :lol:

oiaallday
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by oiaallday »

@ Crowe454, I totally agree with you! No school or community pride anymore! Kids are a lot lazier now than ever before! Most if them look at conditioning as punishment rather than a chance to get better everyday! They also can't take a good ripping by the coaches anymore, because they are babied all the way up to high school! I do believe parents are a lot to blame for the generation we see now and in the coming years! Almost no such thing as hard love nowadays!

gridiron22
Pine rider
Pine rider
NBA: LakersChargers
NFL: chargers

Post by gridiron22 »

The cost of living in Hawaii is incredibly expensive that both parents have to work to make ends meet. When you have a situation like that then you can bet that although the parents wish that they could be around their kids more to tutor, nurture and train them, they have a higher priority to just put food on the table. With high stress and responsibility to provide a roof over their heads, educating and athletic training almost become a luxury that gets put on the back burner. Kids now a days almost need their own motivation to pursue and accomplish what they want.

I see a lot of grandparents dropping/picking up kids at the elementary school across my home.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

In Hawaii,because of the cost of living(Housing,mainly) it is not unusual to see 30-year-olds living with their parents still even if they are married. Shouldn'T married 30-year-olds have their own house...sure,but when the average home price is around 350,000K den dey gonna be some pilikia,obviously.

Now,as far as the kids are concerned,every kid has to figure this out eventually....Mom and Dad,or just Mom or just Dad are going to die way before you do...so what am I going to do to make it on my own. Well,we all get sent to school and a kid needs to figure out that that is the way society tries to prepare us for life on our own...and we all will be on our own eventually.. Bottom line...whether your parents care or don't care....you will ,on average,outlive them,and you had better be prepared to make your own way in life.

Better start cracking those books keiki!

gridiron22
Pine rider
Pine rider
NBA: LakersChargers
NFL: chargers

Post by gridiron22 »

unpaid wrote:In Hawaii,because of the cost of living(Housing,mainly) it is not unusual to see 30-year-olds living with their parents still even if they are married. Shouldn'T married 30-year-olds have their own house...sure,but when the average home price is around 350,000K den dey gonna be some pilikia,obviously.

Now,as far as the kids are concerned,every kid has to figure this out eventually....Mom and Dad,or just Mom or just Dad are going to die way before you do...so what am I going to do to make it on my own. Well,we all get sent to school and a kid needs to figure out that that is the way society tries to prepare us for life on our own...and we all will be on our own eventually.. Bottom line...whether your parents care or don't care....you will ,on average,outlive them,and you had better be prepared to make your own way in life.

Better start cracking those books keiki!
you are absolutely correct except you are saying it from the adult point of view.
It wasnt until I was in my thirties that I realized that I need to start cracking open the books, granted I am in my career now and continue to climb the ladder by obtaining more education. But when I as a teenager I was a numbnut, still am...lol. didnt read one book. did the bare minimum to get by and I was a pretty decent kid, not a troublemaker or a punk.

If I was to go back to high school I would do so many things differently, but thats what everyone says.
let the kids be kids, and give thanks and praises to the teachers coaches and volunteers that are spending the time to train, educate and teach life lessons.
Parents are too busy working and dont have time for all that other stuff, nor do the kids want to listen to their parents either. :) not saying that its right, but thats just the way the cookie seems to crumble.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

gridiron22,

You are right my braddah! In the end,you are responsible for yourself. I am glad you figured it out. The way society is ,it seems that your job increasingly wants to demand all of your time...without regard to how that will affect your family..and utlimately ,society. Businesses seem to be worried that they can't find enough qualified workers coming up through the ranks...but ,duh...when you want to make the parents work 50=60 or even more hour weeks,thereby killing any meaningful family time...well ,what do you think is going to happen...yeah,unmotivated kids who barely know their parents...and who can't meet your conglomerate demands for workers to keep going forward.

Society needs a big game change...but I am not counting on it.

todaresq
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by todaresq »

Lack of school pride, motivation, laziness... call it what you want. Kids nowadays want immediate gratification. Most of them don't want to do the work. They are put on a pedestal made to think that they'll be able to play big time college or "get a scholarship"... yeah right! We all know that there's potential there but the majority needs a reality check. They can play in college, get an education and probably get "financial aid" if they just set their sights on attainable goals. More importantly, the rules have change for college eligibility and your grades as a freshman can affect the amount or type of scholarship/financial aid you get in college. If more coaches stress this then I feel that more kids will take it seriously. It's not about talent anymore. Can't put the blame on parents/teachers/guardians. These are young adults who need to be reminded that the ultimate responsibility is theirs. Back in good old the days... if you didn't work on the farm, you'd starve. Well, if you don't work on your grades, work hard on the field, you don't get to play!! It'll be a shake up, but in the long run, you'll have kids who want to be there and get somewhere.

kauwildman
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by kauwildman »

Coaching has become increasingly frustrating. Team sports are a major challenge. As a coach in a team sport you have to rely on leaders among the kids to keep positive peer pressure moving the team in the right direction. So often now it just seems like the coaches want it more for the kids than they want it for themselves. I'm very thankful for individual sports like wrestling so that the few truly motivated athletes can show their mettle. As for 2.0 GPA's, if you can't get a C average you have no business playing sports.

mycall
High-quality H20 provider

Post by mycall »

The life of a coach is not a season long job, it's a yearly, forever for life, kind of a thing. At the high school level, it's all about building character, and helping the young student athlete prepare for life in the future. Coaches should at least give the effort to see how their players are doing even when it's not their time of the year for their sport.

The school's Administration also could be to blame sometimes. If the coach cannot instill a system/program without the admin breathing down their necks and controlling everything. Sometimes school's Administrators just need to let the "Coaches coach," and support some hard decisions, even if the coaches gotta "pull out the whip," and do the right thing.

If anyone needs a great example of how a coach should be like on the HS level, look up Sean Saturnio. Was sad to see him leave Waipahu, but all good things must come to an end. The Marauder program would not have the impact it has on the players and community today if Saturnio did something to "appease everybody," and not "do the right thing."

http://archives.starbulletin.com/2005/1 ... ory04.html

mycall

Post by mycall »

Ultimately though, the kids have to be the ones to be responsible for themselves. Parents, coaches, teachers can be an influence, but everyone is responsible for oneselves. Students got to realize that they are STUDENT-Athletes, i.e the student portion comes before the sports. They are not pro's, but students. Got to realize that athletics is a blessing and a "extra-curricular" activity, and not to main reason why they attend high school.

To be honest though, most of the course work is easy enough/teachers are more willing to help, that as long as you come to class everyday and do ALL your assignments, you are pretty much garunteed a C, passing grade. Let's be real here, for the kids who often find themselves to be academically ineligible for the first two weeks of football, 99% of the time, it isn't because they enrolled in AP or Honors classes.

SM96753
All-conference
All-conference

Post by SM96753 »

kauwildman wrote: As for 2.0 GPA's, if you can't get a C average you have no business playing sports.
ENOUGH SAID!!!