track and field 2013

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

track and field 2013

Post by unpaid »

I don't know how good they are as a team,but Baldwin has some standouts.Keelan Ewaliko has gone under 10.8 in the 100 meter dash and Amber Kozaki has heighted 12'-1" in the pole vault. That ties her for the 26th best height in the girls pole vault this year nationally. Kozaki's teammate and fellow pole vaulter,Kristine Felix is just one inch behind with a best of 12 feet...so where do you think that puts her? 27TH....no....50th...no....no,not even 80th...Felix has the 97th best pole vault so far this year. Track and field is also a game of inches.

Charles Sataraka has thrown over 51' in the shot put.There seem to be a lot of girl shot putters who might break through the 40' barrier.

tedm
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Re: track and field 2013

Post by tedm »

FYI: I believe Kristine Felix is a freshman at Washington State.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

tedm,
my apologies,you are right. Felix graduated last year and is at Washington st.

todaresq
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by todaresq »

Update: Amber cleared 12'6"... quite a feat considering she also long jumps and runs the 100m and potentially the 4x100 (depends on when she's done with the vaults), which mean she has to go between events that just about happens at the same time for her. Keelan Ewaliko is the real deal... outside of consistently running under 11's, running the 200, long jump and relays... he's learned to manage his events well. He's closely supported by a deep bench of athletes and they should contend for the team state title again. I'm putting my money on Punahou for the girl's state title.

2LeftFeet
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by 2LeftFeet »

Based on the last Top 10 list at the http://hi.milesplit.com site, it looks like Baldwin for the Boys State Title, with Punahou and Kamehameha Schools Oahu both in contention for 2nd.
For the Girls title Punahou is in the lead with Seabury and Pearl City in the hunt for runner-up.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

I don't think there has ever been a closer team competition than this year.Baldwin beats Punahou by a quarter point for the boys title while Punahou beats Seabury Hall by one point for the girls title.Not to take anything away from any of the islands but Maui is churning out some serious track and field talent lately.

todaresq
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by todaresq »

Had Baldwin not missed out on points from their key competitors, it wouldn't have been that close. But since they did, they gave Punahou an opening that spoiled the potential repeat of Maui taking home 1 & 2. That' the beauty of track and field... you never know who really shows up, the team with the spare horses have the best chances of pulling it off. Baldwin did it with 12 and we know Punahou has an army... King Kekaulike brought 6 with 2 alternates, placing second the previous year with 7 athletes. The same situation for Seabury who battled off Punahou and HPA... but just didn't have enough bodies to score points. Those girls worked, but Punahou just had more "fresh legs". Interestingly enough, Seabury will be back with everyone. Maui is definitely making waves, but anyone with a small program could do the same... just takes work. See you next year!!

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

Christian Academy had only 2 members of their Track and Field team and both were State Champs.
Michael Chin in the 800m and Raion Black in the 100m and 200m
Michael will be running at Northern Arizona University and Raion will be a Hawaii Rainbow Wahine

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Congratulations to Keelan Ewaliko,Baldwin class of 2013 ,the Hawaii Gatorade Boys Track and Field Athlete of the Year.

Congratulations to Zoe Sims,Hawaii Preparatory Academy class of 2013,the Hawaii Gatorade Girls Track and Field Athlete of the Year.