D-II preseason

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

D-II preseason

Post by unpaid »

I am working on my preseason rankings. It looks like Kalani and Kapaa are playing each other in interleague per thegardenisland.com. I have not finalized things yet ,but Kalani and Kapaa will both probably be in the preseason top ten.

There are probably going to be some other good D-II preseason/interleague match-ups...anyone got the scoops?

Eight-0-Eight
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Re: D-II preseason

Post by Eight-0-Eight »

I saw where Kapaa goes to Kamehameha-Maui on Aug. 18. Always a good test to go play on the Valley Isle, although not sure if KSM is any good this year. I'm excited to see how Kapaa builds on their great season last year.

KAILUABOYS96734
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench
NBA: LA Lakers
NFL: San Francisco 49ers

Post by KAILUABOYS96734 »

KALAHEO vs DAMIEN in August......

DA SCOUT
High-quality H20 provider

Post by DA SCOUT »

thats a must win game for Damien who has not won game in two seasons, good luck to both teams

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Radford plays Crescent Valley in Corvallis,Oregon on 31 August. CV has an enrollment of roughly 1300 which is a little more than that of Radford. CV has been at or near the top of their league the past few seasons. I think this game will be a good indicator as to whether or not the Rams will be competitive this year. Normally,I would say that Radford has shown that they rebound well in D-II, but the difference this year is that they probably can'T expect help from upcoming players who went winless in JV the past two seasons.

I am still hoping for the best. This year is really going to show what the coaching staff is made of. GO Rams!

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

Father Bray Memorial Football Classic at Aloha Stadium on Aug. 11 (Saturday):

4:45 PM Pac-Five vs. Waipahu
7:30 PM Iolani vs. Konawaena

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Iolani and Konawaena have the potential to play a rematch in states...maybe in the D-II championship game.Wonder if the coaches will try to hold anything back?On the other hand,any rematch would only come after the regular season and each team would have unveiled it's O and D packages by then.

Eight-0-Eight
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Eight-0-Eight »

unpaid wrote:Iolani and Konawaena have the potential to play a rematch in states...maybe in the D-II championship game.Wonder if the coaches will try to hold anything back?On the other hand,any rematch would only come after the regular season and each team would have unveiled it's O and D packages by then.
Hey Unpaid,

I'm pretty excited to see that matchup in the preseason. How good is Kona supposed to be this year though? I know they needed a couple of big-time comebacks to win the BIIF last year then did not play well at all against Lahainaluna at States. It'd be great to see the Big Island make some noise on a more consistent basis.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Eight-O-Eight,

Konawaena should be very good this year. They will feature plenty of seniors and juniors who took their lumps as freshman and sophomores and rebounded to have a breakout year. I really thought Hawaii Prep was going to take D-II in the BIIF last year,and also thought Kamehameha-Hawaii would give the Wildcats fits but.....and this is the thing I have felt about some teams.....this group started as freshman and sophomores ...didn'T do well but seemed to have potential .....and last year they win the championship .They are now a bunch of juniors and seniors who showed a remarkable improvement from year to year...and should be ready to compete this year and next/

That said,Iolani has ruled the roost in D-II the past five or so years......so Konawaena can really show that they continue to improve by beating Iolani...or at least keeping the score close.

saynotomercs
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by saynotomercs »

unpaid wrote:Eight-O-Eight,

Konawaena should be very good this year. They will feature plenty of seniors and juniors who took their lumps as freshman and sophomores and rebounded to have a breakout year. I really thought Hawaii Prep was going to take D-II in the BIIF last year,and also thought Kamehameha-Hawaii would give the Wildcats fits but.....and this is the thing I have felt about some teams.....this group started as freshman and sophomores ...didn'T do well but seemed to have potential .....and last year they win the championship .They are now a bunch of juniors and seniors who showed a remarkable improvement from year to year...and should be ready to compete this year and next/

That said,Iolani has ruled the roost in D-II the past five or so years......so Konawaena can really show that they continue to improve by beating Iolani...or at least keeping the score close.
The fact that Iolani prepares to play the likes of Saint Louis, Kamehameha and Punahou every year gives them a huge advantage. To compete they must play at the same speed as a couple of the top football programs on the West Coast. No matter how talented or un-talanted they are, their speed of execution is light-years ahead of the other DII teams by playoff time. (You have to give them some credit though- Pac-Five and Damien face the same schedule and have not produced like Iolani).

Kaimuki's runner-up squad was simply loaded. Chester Sua, Mason Kualii-Moe, Justice Sarcedo, Mike Moala, Nahoa Spencer and Siaosi Hala'api'api were all OIA Red All-Star caliber players, yet they got routinely dispatched by the Raider machine, who if I'm not mistaken, didn't have a single D1 prospect that year and hasn't since.

I think the overall quality of play has declined the past couple of seasons. All teams across the state, but especially DII OIA teams need to step it up.

polywarrior4life
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: San Fransico Giants
NBA: Chicago Bulls
NFL: San Francisco 49ers

Post by polywarrior4life »

saynotomercs wrote:
unpaid wrote:Eight-O-Eight,

The fact that Iolani prepares to play the likes of Saint Louis, Kamehameha and Punahou every year gives them a huge advantage. To compete they must play at the same speed as a couple of the top football programs on the West Coast. No matter how talented or un-talanted they are, their speed of execution is light-years ahead of the other DII teams by playoff time. (You have to give them some credit though- Pac-Five and Damien face the same schedule and have not produced like Iolani).

Kaimuki's runner-up squad was simply loaded. Chester Sua, Mason Kualii-Moe, Justice Sarcedo, Mike Moala, Nahoa Spencer and Siaosi Hala'api'api were all OIA Red All-Star caliber players, yet they got routinely dispatched by the Raider machine, who if I'm not mistaken, didn't have a single D1 prospect that year and hasn't since.

I think the overall quality of play has declined the past couple of seasons. All teams across the state, but especially DII OIA teams need to step it up.
+1

I agree.....
Saynomore, you said it all.
Individual commitment to a group effort - that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work. VINCE LOMBARDI

hawaiiBoy808

Post by hawaiiBoy808 »

If pac5 doesnt replace there coaching staff there going to lose to Damien. They have so much talent but it all goes to waste. Iolani looks like a favorite once again in the ILH with Foy returning and alot of Pac 5 starters graduating. As for the OIA im not sure who moved up but if both mckinley and pearl city are still in the white. They are my favorites.

Eight-0-Eight
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Eight-0-Eight »

Unpaid, Thanks for the insight. I'm excited to see how that one plays out. There is a lot to be said to having a group of young kids play and develop together, even though they may take their lumps. Are they the clear cut favorite in the BIIF D2? Or HPA/KSH right in the running again?

Saynotomercs, I think that assessment is spot on. The coaching and execution at Iolani are what set them apart.

blahblah
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by blahblah »

hawaiiBoy808 wrote:If pac5 doesnt replace there coaching staff there going to lose to Damien. They have so much talent but it all goes to waste. Iolani looks like a favorite once again in the ILH with Foy returning and alot of Pac 5 starters graduating. As for the OIA im not sure who moved up but if both mckinley and pearl city are still in the white. They are my favorites.
McKinley, kaimuki and Waipahu moved up. Redford, Roosevelt, and kaiser moved down

hawaiiBoy808

Post by hawaiiBoy808 »

blahblah wrote:
hawaiiBoy808 wrote:If pac5 doesnt replace there coaching staff there going to lose to Damien. They have so much talent but it all goes to waste. Iolani looks like a favorite once again in the ILH with Foy returning and alot of Pac 5 starters graduating. As for the OIA im not sure who moved up but if both mckinley and pearl city are still in the white. They are my favorites.
McKinley, kaimuki and Waipahu moved up. Redford, Roosevelt, and kaiser moved down
Thats unfortunate because now the quality in the D2 OIA is poor. Mckinley would have been my favorite to win the OIA if they were still in it.