2011 High School Cross Country

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.

run123
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Re: 2011 High School Cross Country

Post by run123 »

http://scoringlive.com/story.php?storyid=1094

kailua preseason meet results

WHAT
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by WHAT »

Are there results available from the OIA and ILH from this weekend?

OIAcoach
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by OIAcoach »

You wont find too much OIA results this week. The OIA Schedule is so mixed up, alot of coaches had their own "time trials" instead of "meets". Check the OIA schedules posted on all the websites...they're all different.

hzy
High-quality H20 provider

Post by hzy »

Are any off island schools coming to the Lahainaluna Invitational this Saturday? With the Iolani Invitational I'm curious if this will be a competitive meet, or if an opportunity to make it a competitive meet will have been lost due to poor planning on the part of race organizers and MIL schedule makers.

Waipi'o Lookout
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Waipi'o Lookout »

Hey, Shannon and Con. I haven't been really on this site since track season. I was glad to see your posts. My son, Chris, told me that there were "adults" here and on Big Dog's blog bad-mouthing high school athletes. Quite pathetic. Shannon, are you still running for HPU? Chris is going to U of Oregon next week and is really excited about working out with the running club there. He's running 70+ miles per week right now pretty much on his own - which is no mean feat. Con, tell Eli's mom that I said, "Hi!" She's always been ultra-friendly when we've met at Footlocker or O'ahu meets. Great meet at Kamehameha on the Big Island last weekend. Terrific course and big-time competition.

Walter Mosch
Honoka'a

kautech

Post by kautech »

hzy

Post by hzy »

While I agree the comments posted on both this and Big Dogs blog got out of hand, I laugh how people keep claiming anyone badmouthed high school athletes. Did you actually read the comments? Nobody said anything about athletes or athletes' decisions. People questioned a PARENT'S decision on where to send their child and the circumstances involving that decision. People got out of hand defending this decision, namely the parent, and the only specific badmouthing was done by said parent (who incorrectly assumed a coach had posted a comment, and we all know what happens when you assume).

Now does anybody have anything to say about their thoughts on the actually running that is going on around the state??

Con
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Con »

Waipi'o Lookout wrote:Hey, Shannon and Con. I haven't been really on this site since track season. I was glad to see your posts. My son, Chris, told me that there were "adults" here and on Big Dog's blog bad-mouthing high school athletes. Quite pathetic. Shannon, are you still running for HPU? Chris is going to U of Oregon next week and is really excited about working out with the running club there. He's running 70+ miles per week right now pretty much on his own - which is no mean feat. Con, tell Eli's mom that I said, "Hi!" She's always been ultra-friendly when we've met at Footlocker or O'ahu meets. Great meet at Kamehameha on the Big Island last weekend. Terrific course and big-time competition.

Walter Mosch
Honoka'a
Hi Walter!

I'll say hi to Mary for you. Sounds like Chris is doing well.

--Con

Con
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Con »

hzy wrote:While I agree the comments posted on both this and Big Dogs blog got out of hand, I laugh how people keep claiming anyone badmouthed high school athletes. Did you actually read the comments? Nobody said anything about athletes or athletes' decisions. People questioned a PARENT'S decision on where to send their child and the circumstances involving that decision. People got out of hand defending this decision, namely the parent, and the only specific badmouthing was done by said parent (who incorrectly assumed a coach had posted a comment, and we all know what happens when you assume).

Now does anybody have anything to say about their thoughts on the actually running that is going on around the state??
hzy...

That kind of talk is inapproriate here or on the Dog's site. It is too sensitive for a public forum that the children of the "PARENTS" you are refering to can see. You may be laughing, but I'm not.

I can tell you how harrassment is legally defined...It is not the "harrasser" that defines what is harrassment. It is the "harrassee". I can also tell you that my minor daughter has been harrassed, not by many, but just one or two bloggers here over the years. There are many other kids mentioned here, including Shannon from a few posts above, whom have also felt harrassed. As a parent of high school runners who are minors, I am making a stand that I will no longer tolerate it, and I ask that everyone else who posts here to hold each other accountable to a higher ethical standard when it comes to discussing the kids. The fact that this is a blog site is irrelevant...The same LEGAL standards of respect and tolerance required within our schools and on our kids' athletic teams also apply here.

I would welcome a return to the discussion of running. I hope that we (Hawaii's high school runners, parents and coaches) can count on your support!

--Con Brady

SKW23
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by SKW23 »

Howsit Walter, yes I am still running and playing ball at HPU, and thats very good for Chris hope he does well up there!

As for back to the running part, both Elli and Dakota have been running high 18s, and Dakota on last week at Kamehameha Big Island is a pretty tough course where its very hot. Havent seen the ILH results, but IOLANI INVITE is this weekend, this is probably the closest thing to the State Meet other than Kaiser Inv. But we shall see most of the top teams in the state there, and to show it on a tough course.

Waipi'o Lookout
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Waipi'o Lookout »

hzy wrote:

While I agree the comments posted on both this and Big Dogs blog got out of hand, I laugh how people keep claiming anyone badmouthed high school athletes. Did you actually read the comments? Nobody said anything about athletes or athletes' decisions. People questioned a PARENT'S decision on where to send their child and the circumstances involving that decision. People got out of hand defending this decision, namely the parent, and the only specific badmouthing was done by said parent (who incorrectly assumed a coach had posted a comment, and we all know what happens when you assume).
Let's get real. There HAVE been comments made that were directed at high school athletes on this forum that were nothing short of shameful. All that nonsense about Margarito last year was extremely hurtful to parents and runner alike and was totally uncalled for. Thanks to Con for taking a stand. This is (IMHO) an incredibly insensitive comment. I can't conceive of why anyone would post this other than to try to absolve the "adults" from any complicity. I can tell you from personal experience that these types of decisions (about where to attend school) are not always made solely by the parents. We discussed with Chris the option of attending a private school and he preferred to remain at school with the friends with whom he had grown up in public school. We didn't "send him" anywhere. He CHOSE to attend Honoka'a. You talked about the danger of making assumptions. We all might want to consider examining our own assumptions. BTW, hzy, what is your actual name?

BTW, they changed the Kamehameha course this year so the running is done almost entirely on grass. The runners no longer run on that gravel road and instead run inside the fence along the road. I talked to both runners and coaches from California as well as locally who really loved the layout of the course. The only complaint I heard was that with 4 races, the varsity race starts at noon and is run in the searing heat of mid-day. I believe it's the site of the BIIF championships this year. Shannon, are you playing baseball at HPU? If so, what position?

OIAcoach
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by OIAcoach »

As far as the OIA goes, I'm looking forward to seeing the Mililani invitational this weekend. This would a good test for the Radford girls team (who went perfect last week at Kailua) as they take on PC. Ok, so I know what your thinking, Kailua is a easy course,etc, etc, etc, but two girls in the 20's and three in the 21's without any team pushing them is not bad at all. Well anyways, PC vs Radford should say alot about the OIA girls season.