Heckling, bad-apple parents spoil it for kids

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HRC Paul
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Heckling, bad-apple parents spoil it for kids

Post by HRC Paul »

http://www.hawaiiprepworld.com/basketba ... -for-kids/

To the handful of Moanalua “fans” who heckled an injured Roosevelt player tonight … Auwe!

To act all irritated because a kid was seriously in pain with leg cramps is fine … but to start complaining that he’s “faking” it? Especially after he went down a second time? Naturally, a Roosevelt fan — a mom or auntie — sitting nearby stood up and rebuked her.

Then another Moanalua “fan” got all disgusted when another player went down with a potentially serious knee injury — a player from her own team.

“You’re spending all your time on the floor,” she complained about both teams, loud and clear while the other 99 percent of the audience watched quietly with concern as a trainer tended to the Moanalua player. She kept chirping and spewing negative comments while her young children sat next to her.

I hope nothing that serious ever happens to your kids, “lady.” When we hear about the bad attitudes of parents and how they affect today’s children, I saw some prime examples tonight. When coaches and teachers talk about student-athletes who are very coachable and teachable, sometimes these kids are overcoming much more than we may imagine.

hiskoolfb
Pine rider
Pine rider

Re: Heckling, bad-apple parents spoil it for kids

Post by hiskoolfb »

sitting in the stands at games sometimes is SHOCKING lol what some people say, they say things without thinking where there at.

HRC Paul
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HRC Paul »

Older I get, the more I can empathize with parents who transfer their children from public schools to private. It's not just a better academic culture they want for their kids. It's dealing with other kids' parents at public schools.

Most of us don't have those options, but it's nice if you have them.

kToWn
High-quality H20 provider

Post by kToWn »

Agree with Paul 100%. Some parents at games are just unreal and it also makes it uncomfortable too for the others in attendance who are just there to support their players.

Just the other day, I was at my daughter's JV basketball game and all the home team's supporters were sitting on one side, as usual, and the visitor's supporters (us) was on the other side. But just had to have one home team's relative or mom sitting in the visitor section, and that's fine in general, but she was being all loud and not just supporting her team, which would be fine, but also talking negatively of my daughter's team. She's lucky she never got jumped.

And on top of that, one of our supporter's moms was sitting right by us, and she was getting all irritated at this one lady, so she started taunting the other team and being all stupid, and me and my wife were looking at her like, "Go sit somewhere else! Shame!"

Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

You think high school is bad..I have ran football youth leagues and let me tell you, it starts their and continue to the high school level private or public school. Some places you play at is pretty bad and I won't mention which towns, but sometimes it's gets to the point that the refs request not going their. My Father was a ref for 35 years back in the 60's and 70's and it was bad back then too, so what can we do. Control the enviroment where the game is played, easy to say, but hard to do.

HRC Paul
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HRC Paul »

BigDog, big props to your dad for his dedication to the kids. In the end, it's about enjoying the game, and officiating is key, so some men and women summon the courage to do it. I always envied the camaraderie of officials both here and when I lived on the Big Island. They work hard and enjoy each other's company afterward.

I've been fortunate to have very good parents in the times I've coached. But when I've reffed age-group basketball, boy, the things parents (and relatives) yell and scream are sometimes embarrassing for kids. Really sad.

Though it's not the fault of a coach or athletic director, I do put some of the weight on other adults attending games. Peer pressure is a very potent weapon, and if 99% of the people get on the 1% who are being bad apples, it always works out. It ain't pretty sometimes, but the 1% will usually cave.

In the situation at Moanalua, I had to stay neutral as part of the media. Otherwise, I would've talked to each of the hecklers in my section. No problem with that.

jaySend
Starter
Starter

Post by jaySend »

nothing more then women that dont understand a thing about sports,
all they see is their little baby boy or girl out there in a war and the enemy
is anyone wearing the opposing teams colors (players, coaches, fans)

In my limited exposure to youth and high school sports, soccer, basketball, football, volleyball
as a player, parent and also observer...

I notice the parents that understand the game really good and really
have an interest in their kids performance are more likely to be level headed
when mistakes from refs and opposing teams are made. Most males fit into this category.

women with loud mouths (as irritating as they may be) are fine as long as they cheer for their
team. Not to sound prejudice but most of the loud mouth fans that Ive known were polynesian women. :)

Go Red Raider Mothers! lol!

HRC Paul
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HRC Paul »

The hardest thing to understand from that night at Moanalua: the woman who grumbled about the knee injury to a player from her school's team. She grumbled about injuries on both sides.

I wanted to ask her why she was even there.

jaySend
Starter
Starter

Post by jaySend »

HRC Paul wrote:The hardest thing to understand from that night at Moanalua: the woman who grumbled about the knee injury to a player from her school's team. She grumbled about injuries on both sides.

I wanted to ask her why she was even there.
my wife always tell me the same thing when we out shopping,

"why u grumbling! go home already"

oahustar7
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by oahustar7 »

I agree with you Paul, but as for Pale who was the injured Roosevelt player. He did not need to get up on his own power. Roosevelt should have done a better job to get him off of the court. They should have used other players to help him off, not make him do it himself.

HRC Paul
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HRC Paul »

oahustar7 wrote:I agree with you Paul, but as for Pale who was the injured Roosevelt player. He did not need to get up on his own power. Roosevelt should have done a better job to get him off of the court. They should have used other players to help him off, not make him do it himself.
Debatable. But that's not why I started this thread.

You can back up the Moanalua fan who heckled the injured Roosevelt player.

Are you going to support the other Moanalua woman who heckled the injured MOANALUA player (knee), too? Do you want to debate whether he was really hurt, also?

My point is this: Injuries happen. When a kid is struggling and in pain, it is completely classless to denigrate him or her as you are sitting up in the bleachers. Taking potshots at kids ... especially your own school's kids ... talk about signs of the apocalypse.

So please, defend these "fans" all you like. I was there near these people and had to put up with their ridiculous comments. Like I said earlier, I just hope the young children of that second woman never get injured AND experience that kind of "support" from the handful of bad apples among the home crowd.

Better yet, next time it happens there, I'll let you know and you can come talk to them.

oahustar7
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by oahustar7 »

HRC Paul wrote:
oahustar7 wrote:I agree with you Paul, but as for Pale who was the injured Roosevelt player. He did not need to get up on his own power. Roosevelt should have done a better job to get him off of the court. They should have used other players to help him off, not make him do it himself.
Debatable. But that's not why I started this thread.

You can back up the Moanalua fan who heckled the injured Roosevelt player.

Are you going to support the other Moanalua woman who heckled the injured MOANALUA player (knee), too? Do you want to debate whether he was really hurt, also?

My point is this: Injuries happen. When a kid is struggling and in pain, it is completely classless to denigrate him or her as you are sitting up in the bleachers. Taking potshots at kids ... especially your own school's kids ... talk about signs of the apocalypse.

So please, defend these "fans" all you like. I was there near these people and had to put up with their ridiculous comments. Like I said earlier, I just hope the young children of that second woman never get injured AND experience that kind of "support" from the handful of bad apples among the home crowd.

Better yet, next time it happens there, I'll let you know and you can come talk to them.
No I definetely agree with you about the parents not showing class by heckling players about being injured. Completely unacceptable. I mean, as a sports player, I believe can say something to the injured player. It's all "trash talk" that always go on during the game. But parents need to keep their comments to themselves.

However, I'm saying Roosevelt shouldn't have had the kid get off on his own power. They should have helped him off the court. No one was even helping him. And this went on for about 15 minutes? For what, a cramp? I can see if it's a head injury or something serious. But a cramp is not. All I'm saying is Roosevelt should help him get off the court and attend to him on the sideline so the game can resume.

runitout
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by runitout »

I witnessed an incident at a high school soccer game where parents were yelling "break his legs" during the game. It didn't help that the female coach of their team was cheering and pumping her fist in the air everytime her players would make late hits after the play was over and get carded. This type of behavior went on throughout the entire game and the officials did nothing to stop it. It even got to the point were so many players were getting injured and shoved after the play was over that the trainer had to go out and tell the officials to do their job or she was going to call the game! Unexcussable behavior by the officials, coaches and fans should not be condoned or rewarded! What are we teaching our youth! I also witnessed another game were the other team was talking "trash" during the whole game and being really physical and ended up taking out a player on the other team. The fans and players were actually cheering and laughing while the player on the other team lay on the field unconcious. He ended up going to the hospital with a bad concussion! This type of behavior should not be allowed to continue on and off the field. High School Soccer Officials need to start doing their job and control this type of behavior from the beginning of the game!

jaySend
Starter
Starter

Post by jaySend »

^^ soccer players are wussies, they need to get roughed up everytime they step on the field. as for the parents, coaches and reffs, shame on them for encouraging it, just let it happen, dont verbalize it.

tangomike
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by tangomike »

lol. i have to disagree with you there. my daughters play high school soccer and have watched the high school level for a few years. while im not an expert, i was quite alarmed the first few games i saw and how rough and nasty it gets out there.

i can't watch professional soccer due to the acting that goes on, so i can see your view if it came from that.

back to the point of the thread, i've seen a couple of head coaches just badger the refs in high school soccer. they make noises everytime a call goes against them, make remarks for everyone to hear, then as the game goes on, the parents and players start acting the same way. it was quite disgusting. then i saw someone who referees these games do the same because his daughter was on the team. they got out of hand because the coach set the example.

now don't get me wrong, when im sitting in the stands, i make comments around those friends i sit with, but never so the players, coaches or refs can hear me.

there was also a time when i ref'd a game and a mom was yelling like crazy and she was the only one. i knew her daughter and she was very embarrassed. quite frankly it affected her game, because she was constantly looking in the stands at her mother. sad.
jaySend wrote:^^ soccer players are wussies, they need to get roughed up everytime they step on the field. as for the parents, coaches and reffs, shame on them for encouraging it, just let it happen, dont verbalize it.