2010 Cross Country

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
whoewa70
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Re: 2010 Cross Country

Post by whoewa70 »

I totally agree with all....everyone has valid points. Even though cross country is not a true team sport, don't get mad, in the true essence, I consider a social team sport. We all run individually and score points toward the team, but most of the athletes will tell you they like/love cross country because of its social aspect. Like mentioned earlier we all see each other repeatedly throughout the season, developing friendships/bonds with other schools (even outer island schools). Watch the upcoming track season and notice how the distance runners (xc runners) still maintain contact with their "rivals."

Like school success comes from team effort...including the athletes, coaches, and even parents. Without parental support at meets and at home, most runners wouldn't succeed. Ask Coach Shawn from Leilehua, summer training is about athletes believing in the program and the parents supporting their children to achieve their potential. The coaching philosophy now is to encourage our kids to succeed in life, not just sports. One of the boys on my team couldn't run one lap around the track at the beginning of the season without stopping. He's up to 2 laps (800m) and comes to practice everyday. He's lost weight and has a great attitude. We are here for the kids, all the kids who show up get coaching. That's how great programs are started. If you don't believe me....ask Steve Jenness from Kamehameha about his boys teams back in the late 80s.

But another weekend and another meet. Good luck to all...especially the Hanalani runners I saw at CORP yesterday getting acquainted with the course.

OIAcoach
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by OIAcoach »

It varies from AD and programs but all varsity runners on my team are required to...
1) attend practice till the state meet, in order to recieve their varsity letter (even if they are a 30 min guy. Who knows he might someday become your number 4 runner).
2) every varsity runner makes the state trip and runs the state course prior to the state meet with the seven (my program is not as big as the ILH, but a good size one so we have to fundraise alot).
3) And although every runner doesn't get a state medal or an OIA ribbon/medal, if the team gets the goals they set out at the beginning of the season, they all get the famous "black" XC shirts.

I recommend the DVD, "The Long Green Line". A good XC DVD for your team. Every runner is part of the team. All 200+ runners. Google for the trailer.

trackrunner808
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by trackrunner808 »

so i missed the meet, what happened?

train hard win easy
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by train hard win easy »

Pierce Murphy, KIF XC meet #3, 14:58.60. Milesplit news; http://hi.milesplit.com/articles/51373 . He must of been running down hill the whole race. Wow!

welshrarebit
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by welshrarebit »

Honolulu Marathon/Kaiser meet girls results:

http://pseresults.com/system/assets/att ... 1285476157

Top three girls teams:

HPA: 72
Mililani: 79
HBA: 104

Boys results:

http://pseresults.com/system/assets/att ... 1285476105

Leilehua: 61
Kamehameha (Kapalama): 81
Mililani: 98

800runner
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by 800runner »

OIAcoach wrote:It varies from AD and programs but all varsity runners on my team are required to...
1) attend practice till the state meet, in order to recieve their varsity letter (even if they are a 30 min guy. Who knows he might someday become your number 4 runner).
2) every varsity runner makes the state trip and runs the state course prior to the state meet with the seven (my program is not as big as the ILH, but a good size one so we have to fundraise alot).
3) And although every runner doesn't get a state medal or an OIA ribbon/medal, if the team gets the goals they set out at the beginning of the season, they all get the famous "black" XC shirts.

I recommend the DVD, "The Long Green Line". A good XC DVD for your team. Every runner is part of the team. All 200+ runners. Google for the trailer.
The full movie is also on Hulu. Great movie.

Perhaps I should clarify. I realize I came off as very negative. I was just trying to point out why the HHSAA/HNL Marathon only pays for 8 team medals in XC. Anyways, by no means should a runner be excluded as part of the team. I think it would be foolish for any team to impose cuts/qualifying standards, especially in Hawaii. Since developing an aerobic base simply takes time and effort, anyone on any team could make top 7 with enough time and effort. I don't know of any specific 30 min guys dropping down, but if you check the ILH intermediate results from around 05/06 and compare those times with current ones of those running varsity, you will probably find just as many 12/13 minute guys running top 7 for their team as 16/17+ minute guys. Running is very much a "life sport" and it should be any coach's goal to not only win states, but to make lifelong runners of their entire team.
Also, I think whoewa nailed it, in that it is a very social based sport. His track reference is also not unfounded. Last year, at states, before the races, the distance guys would be chatting it up with the same guys they would run against. Then, following the race, help each other out after the finish, congratulating each other, getting water for each other etc. I did see more bonds within each league, however, there were definite connections outside of the leagues. While congratulations do happen between other events (after all, it is really just good sportsmanship), the distance social connections were definitely more obvious.

Also, regarding the meet, Punahou girls were traveling for the week, so their top 14 was out.
Course conditions: Cooler/cloudier for the intermediate races, began to heat up for the JV, pretty hot during the varsity races. Very dry ground, lots of dirt was kicked up.
The vars boys race went out in roughly 5:00 for the first mile led by Margarito Martinez. A somewhat stretched out pack followed him. He broke away around mile 1-1.5. Jordan Thibodeau, finishing 2nd, seemed to run nearly perfect splits. I saw him pass the first mile marker in 5:30ish, en route to a 3 mile time of 16:26. He was never really in striking distance of Martinez due to his slower start, but his gap certainly closed slightly.
The third runner, Ryan Hobson, has now had a great race at the Kaiser invite for the second year in a row. With his consistency in the top 5 ILH and his back-to-back results at CORP could indicate a strong top 5 runner at states. He will have 2 more chances to prove himself at CORP before states.
Team results for boys may be slightly skewed, since Iolani sent 3 of their top 7 down to JV. However, Leilehua looked strong with their 2-5 moving up through the pack during the race. However, it is a little concerning that their 6 is no where near their 5, meaning that if one of their top 5 were to have a poor race, their team hopes could be jeopardized. Kamehameha needs a stronger 5th runner to help their chances. Mililani surprised me with their depth. I wasn't aware they were 5 runners deep. I knew they had strength in their top 3, but their 4 and 5 make them a whole lot better of a contender. Not quite as strong as Leilehua in my opinion though.

Vars girls race: One of the Mililani girls took it out pretty fast to open, only to drop back slightly I think. Winner Heidi Nicholls looked great, dropping Bre Ball mid race. However, I think without Brady/Mann/Grossman, the field was slowed slightly and race tactics probably changed. Girls team title was actually exciting though, unlike previous ILH meets/invites. HPA pulled through well.

MilRunFan
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by MilRunFan »

Hello All....Haven't been on in a while and there was lots to read!

First, I'm glad that everyone is being more positive and supportive of the kids. Second, I'm happy that Big Dog has noticed Miss Pugliese (I don't know what happened today, but I'm confident she'll be back in form next week!) Third, I was impressed with Miss Nicholls. I'm constantly amazed with how runners come out of no where and surprise everyone. Fourth, I noticed that Miss Grossman established a great time and finish last week so that we can "officially" list her as a contender. Fifth, I'm happy to see that last year's State Champion returned last week. I'll be curious to see what Miss Brady can do as she gets back into shape from whatever had her sidelined. Sixth, I was VERY disappointed when I found out that Punahou was not running this week. I wanted to see how they would stack up against Mililani. Where did they go?

hixcchik
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by hixcchik »

According to a post by Con Brady on the Big Dog site, http://waynejoseph.wordpress.com/2010/0 ... mment-1312
they went to the Stanford Invitational. http://www.sml1.com/recordtiming/stanford/xc_invite10/
The poster also clears up the mystery about the injury that sidelined Elli Brady at the start of the season.

CCfan
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by CCfan »

The 14:58.60 that Pierce Murphy ran is a spectacular time for this point of the season, with no one to push him but himself. The results say the meet, KIF Meet #3, was hosted at Island School, but do we know if it was the same course that they used at States last year? If that's the case, the Murphy improved his time by 1:20.
The 2nd place finisher, Joshua Herr of Kauai High, ran it in 16:41, and had a time of 18:34 at States last year, and the 3rd place finisher, Micah Domingcil of Kapaa High, had 17:51 at this meet and 19:59 at States, so it may have just been an easier course, but still a great time.

train hard win easy
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

The course at Island school was about 95% the same. They took out the two hairpin turns, making them more gradual track like turns, if you are familiar with the course. The course was measured by two different people using three different ways. They both say it was spot on, if not ten feet long. The biggest difference at the course from last years state meet was the weather. It was cloudy and cooler. Pierce ran 26 seconds faster then at the Iolani race due to the flatness of the Island school course.
But yes, to your post, 14:58.6 is an amazing time for this far in the season." Go Pierce!", and Godspeed to all the runners.

nogutsnoglory
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by nogutsnoglory »

Just wondering what does everyone think about team rankings so far. We are four weeks away now, lets hear what you think.

mnxc21
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by mnxc21 »

Ive seen a lot of OIA races, and Ive watched the Iolani Inv, and Kaiser Inv, as long as the first BIIF race
My team rankings go for the boys:
1. Kam Oahu- the most consistent team this year, great leader in Jprdan, and they ALWAYS perfom at the "Big Meet"
2.Iolani- this is their year, only reason why 2nd? Borys needs to perform at states, Top5.
3.Leilehua- mystery team, floating around all places, @Iolani, they were 5th, (correct me if im wrong,) last week at Kaiser, first. Also younger Martinez needs to step in and take charge although he is a young star.
4.Mililani- could have an impact on who wins, or comes 2nd, Zack and Royce, can work together to maybe have a chance to come top3. Pack VERY well.
5.Honokaa- Returns everybody from BIIF Champ team last year, Mosch has broken 17min, and looked very strong at Kaiser. Robinson needs to do well at states also.
Last edited by mnxc21 on Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

808XC
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by 808XC »

Great job to all the Kauai Runners!
and an amazing time by Pierce, and now it looks like all of Kauai is improving in the sport of Cross Country.
trainhardwineasy-may I ask on what three methods the course was measured? For I am not doubting that it wasn't a 3mile course, I was just curious what three ways were done. Thanks
and to everybody, keep traing hard! A Hui Hou

train hard win easy
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

808XC, 1. "The wheel", 2. GPS (a Garmin Forerunner), 3. Google Earth . So I was told.