Favorite Hawaii High School Receiver of All-Time

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
Dog 96707
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Re: Favorite Hawaii High School Receiver of All-Time

Post by Dog 96707 »

Ornellas was more of a slot back, not really a WR. But I agree, he is the GOAT. Probably the best high school football player to come out of Hawaii... Herman Wedemeyer, Joe Igber, Mark Atuaia, Gerald Welch, all great players, but no one was like Ornellas. Now, if we talking strictly WR, Micah Matsusaki, Kanawai Noa, Itula Mili, Donny Utu, Jason Rivers. Toma and Ostrowski, I'd consider slot back type, but they were really good ball players too

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

Dog 96707 wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 10:19 am Ornellas was more of a slot back, not really a WR. But I agree, he is the GOAT. Probably the best high school football player to come out of Hawaii... Herman Wedemeyer, Joe Igber, Mark Atuaia, Gerald Welch, all great players, but no one was like Ornellas. Now, if we talking strictly WR, Micah Matsusaki, Kanawai Noa, Itula Mili, Donny Utu, Jason Rivers. Toma and Ostrowski, I'd consider slot back type, but they were really good ball players too
@Dog 96707: You're putting Ornellas ahead of Wedemeyer? And, note that they both played for St Louis. Since we're looking at great high-school players, regardless of which position they played, what about Mosi Tatupu? I wish he didn't play for Punahou, but he did. He played RB, and he was very hard to corral.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

Russ Francis. Played end and quarterback at Kailua.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

Kianakuuipo
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Kianakuuipo »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:50 pm
Kianakuuipo wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:39 pm
h4444k wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:15 am

Nice call on Rhani Peters... kind of forgot about him but he was a great athlete in football, track, basketball...
Thank you for mentioning him, that's my dad and it was really nice to come across this today <3 even tho you both probably wont read this as i am 8 years late
@Kianakuuipo: Better late than never. I think Peters and Kaneaiakala (I think that is the correct spelling) played for Kaiser about 37 years ago. That's an awfully long time ago. They're both in their mid-50s now. I remember Kaneaiakala had that mean afro when he was QB his senior year.
Yes they’ve both passed away actually, Cliff a long time ago in a motorcycle accident (I think before I was even born) and I’m 21 and Rhani, my father, passed to cancer in 2016, but am always happy to read about both of them

Duster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Duster »

Agree re. Itula Mili. George Smith too. Pisa Finai, Kyle Mosley, Rick Wagner, Aaron Lorenzo, John Kamana. Probably missing someone. By the way, that OC Sports commentator Rory Kim was an all-star WR at Waipahu.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

RedZone wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:10 pm Russ Francis. Played end and quarterback at Kailua.
I know besides going on to play in the NFL and winning a Super Bowl with the 49ers, he was also an accomplished pro wrestler, and competed on “The Superstars”, a TV sports program that could be considered a predecessor to “American Gladiators”.

I believe Russ and his brother held the Hawaii Tag Team titles at one point for the American Wrestling Association.

He also tried his hand in politics, losing to longtime incumbent Patsy Mink, who of course was well known for Title IX, as all of us sports fans know.

What a great and exhilarating life he had when he was younger. I believe he is still alive today.