Cross Country 2009

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
train hard win easy
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Re: Cross Country 2009

Post by train hard win easy »

Yes I too was impressed at how Martinez and Murphy ran. Both very strong on a hot day. My concern is the age of Martinez? He was 18 during last years track and field season and come next years cross country season he will be 19. Looking at the bylaws of the Interscholastic ligue of Honolulu, section 1.7, it states ,'No student ninteen years of age before Sept. 1st shall be eligiable to participate thereafter'. Is anyone concerned about this ?
xcfan wrote:To 800 runner

As far as I know the Campbell course is a measured 3 miles, but it is very flat. To give you an idea of how impressive the boys times were you have to compare to last years Campbell meet held on the identical course. The winner was from a mainland school and he won in 16:45. Martinez was 3rd overall and 1st Hawaii finisher and his time was 17:15. So I would say that Martinez and Murphy are running very well this year and will be hard to beat.
Still, it is hard to compare times due to the nature of cross country. I was impressed at how well Martinez and Murphy ran and it was very HOT that day as well.

train hard win easy
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

My concern is the age of Martinez? He was 18 during last years track and field season and come next years cross country season he will be 19. Looking at the bylaws of the Interscholastic ligue of Honolulu, section 1.7, it states ,'No student ninteen years of age before Sept. 1st shall be eligiable to participate thereafter'. Is anyone concerned about this ?
UnitedFront wrote:
RunningFan wrote:I need to correct United Front. Bryce Jenkins finished 34th at the Footlocker West Championship-- not 50th. Let's not forget that Bryce was out all season with a stress fracture and just returned 3.5 weeks before that race. All the kids he was racing against had hundreds of miles behind them. Bryce beat Alaska's superstar Trevor Dunbar the year before-- and Trevor finished 2d place in 2008. Do the math-- if Bryce was healthy and trained-- he would have finished in the top 5 and probably won the race. He will excel at Idaho State this season and be very competitive in the NCAA.

As for this year-- Margarito will likely win and Pierce will challange. They will clearly be the top 2 by a longshot. Shawn Nakata will have Leilehua postered for their 3d straight State Championship Title. Never count the Mules of Leilehua out. The gained a bunch of new runners this year and they are very solid. Nakata knows how to have the Team ready when it counts-- he won't over-train the kids to have them fizzzle out when it counts.

P.S. Martinez is not over the age limit-- so get that out of your system. He has two more years to run and he WILL dominate!

Aloha
Thanks for correcting me. I was ill-informed I guess. Dunbar is a beast though. Jenkins will do great at Idaho State, which already has an incredible Cross Country program. The folks at Idaho State are excited to have him, he has his own article on the Idaho State athletic website.

But I digress. The Martinez/Murphy saga will be similar to Jenkins and Nakamoto, no one was close to them. But then again, no one was at the level Jenkins was. I kid you not, I've seen Jenkins TIE HIS SHOES during a race (the OIA championship). I've never seen a runner so above his competition that he's able to do such a thing.

Nakata's a great coach. Year after year he produced quality talent that produce. I definitely won't count them out, the state championship could sway either way (even possibly Kamehameha). I feel Iolani will win in a tight one due to the amount of talent (young talent which is noteworthy). All it takes is a few good run and the state final could go to anyone. Iolani has three in the top 10 in my mind, though Leilehua's runners will continue to do well. They have a good crop of junior varsity runners which will bask in success this season barring any unfortunate injury.

And thank you for ending that stupid rumor. All those speculators that feel he is old should know this. Wow, if Martinez wins these next two titles, Leilehua will have FIVE STRAIGHT individual titles! Incredible.

mnxc21
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by mnxc21 »

train hard win easy.
magaritos birthday is after september 1st, and those bylaws that you quoted are of the ILH,
not the OIA which he runs in.

run4fun
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by run4fun »

Does the HHSAA allow 19 year olds to participate in State Tournaments? As I remember, Iolani had to sit twin brothers in Basketball a few years back due to the fact that they were 19 when States came around. Hopefully this does not happen to Martinez as he is one of the favorites this year but the competition has yet to be seen and it is early in the season.

train hard win easy
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Are you saying he just turned 18 nine days ago? You might want to check on that.
mnxc21 wrote:train hard win easy.
magaritos birthday is after september 1st, and those bylaws that you quoted are of the ILH,

train hard win easy
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

What do the bylaws say in the OIA? Margarto is fine this year I'm sure, it's next season that makes my wonder?
train hard win easy wrote:Are you saying he just turned 18 nine days ago? You might want to check on that.
mnxc21 wrote:train hard win easy.

mnxc21
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by mnxc21 »

to be exact his 18th birthday is today.
and im not sure what the bylaws are of the OIA, but I think its that you cannot participate in an event if you make 19 before Sept 1, so he makes the date.

train hard win easy
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

That's funny Magorito told me he was 18 last Saturday? But hey, does it really matter? He is all good for this year, but what about next year? Requirements:
Age Requirement
No student shall be eligible to participate in HHSAA Association activities who has reached nineteen years of age prior to the first day of September of the school year in which such participation is intended.
mnxc21 wrote:to be exact his 18th birthday is today.
and im not sure what the bylaws are of the OIA, but I think its that you cannot participate in an event if you make 19 before Sept 1, so he makes the date.

mnxc21
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by mnxc21 »

train hard win easy wrote:That's funny Magorito told me he was 18 last Saturday? But hey, does it really matter? He is all good for this year, but what about next year? Requirements:
Age Requirement
No student shall be eligible to participate in HHSAA Association activities who has reached nineteen years of age prior to the first day of September of the school year in which such participation is intended.
well all that matters is that he turns 19 after September 1st. next year. which he will.

train hard win easy
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

In fact he told me he was 18 at the state track and field championships, go figure? He is a hell of a runner and will most likely dominate. Go Mules!
train hard win easy wrote:That's funny Magorito told me he was 18 last Saturday? But hey, does it really matter? He is all good for this year, but what about next year? Requirements:
Age Requirement

xcfan
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by xcfan »

Watched the OIA meet at Mililani, Martinez had another dominating performance and looks to be the frontrunner for now. The Leilehua boys team also looked much stronger this week. The Mililani girls continue to impress and their top three look like top ten State Championship contenders. I believe Jenkins winning time of 19:29 is the fastest by a Hawaii girl this season. The Mililani course is hilly and tougher than the Campbell course.
Anyone have the results from the ILH meet at Kaawa?

train hard win easy
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

I heard Murphy ran a 15:55 at the Wiamea cross country meet on Kauai. Does anyone know what kind of course that is ?
xcfan wrote:Watched the OIA meet at Mililani, Martinez had another dominating performance and looks to be the frontrunner for now. The Leilehua boys team also looked much stronger this week. The Mililani girls continue to impress and their top three look like top ten State Championship contenders. I believe Jenkins winning time of 19:29 is the fastest by a Hawaii girl this season. The Mililani course is hilly and tougher than the Campbell course.

runitout
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by runitout »

xcfan wrote:Watched the OIA meet at Mililani, Martinez had another dominating performance and looks to be the frontrunner for now. The Leilehua boys team also looked much stronger this week. The Mililani girls continue to impress and their top three look like top ten State Championship contenders. I believe Jenkins winning time of 19:29 is the fastest by a Hawaii girl this season. The Mililani course is hilly and tougher than the Campbell course.
I don't have the results from the ILH meet, but I do know that the OIA meet at Kalani was won by Eric Pak of Castle with team mate Dylan Lee in second. The Castle Boys Team once again looked very strong with many of their runners finishing in the top 20, although it was hard to tell wether they were Varsity or JV as they all ran together. Castle also had the top finisher in the Girls race, Daylyn Chun-Fat, she finished way ahead of any of the other girls. Haven't seen the times posted anywhere yet, but it will be interesting to see what they were.

800runner
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by 800runner »

I watched the Kaaawa meet. Dana Hills, a perennial California contender dominated the boys meet with the top 4 or 5 placers. However, I believe the following is the top 10 result from the Boys, only Hawaii runners considered. Correct me if you know otherwise.
1. Sato Kam
2. Kaneko Kam
3. Thibodeau Kam
4. Plescakz Iol
5. Kahawai Kam
6. Hobson MPI
7. Esaki Iol
8. Higa Iol
9. Hunter Pun
10. Sainz Kam

Girls-Punahou once again dominated the race with about 5 of the top 10. Iolani also had a not bad showing. Kamehameha was on the Big Island. There was a girl who won whom I have never seen before. Possibly another talented freshman for Punahou (they had 3 last year). Anyone know who she is?
I was only able to get the top 5
1. "Mystery Girl" Pun
2. Jenna Wong Iol
3. Breanne Ball Iol
4. Julia Brand Pun
5. Kyleigh Mann Pun

xcfan
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by xcfan »

Looks like the Punahou girls reloaded after losing several seniors. The Kaiser meet should be a good preview of who the top teams and individuals are on Oahu as the OIA and ILH should both be represented. I'm curious about the mystery winner form Punahou???