Cross Country 2009

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
2LeftFeet
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Re: Cross Country 2009

Post by 2LeftFeet »

The OIA West times at Waialua may look fast, but because of a scheduled softball game, the route was changed, making it about a tenth of a mile shorter, so you need to add about 40 seconds to all of the times.

Waipi'o Lookout
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Waipi'o Lookout »

Unofficial results from BIIF all-comers meet on Saturday at Kamehameha School - Kea'au
Boys -
1. Chris Mosch - Honoka'a (16:59)
2. Tyler Tsubota - HPA (17:15)
3. Dylan Hardie-Jordan - Makua Lani (17:15)
4. Daniel Brooks - Kea'au
5. Tyde Kaneshiro - Hilo
6. Josh Robinson - Honoka'a

Girls:
1. Tia Greenwell - Honoka'a
2. Athena Oldfather - Honoka'a
3. Kela Vargas - HPA
4. Emily Evans - HPA
5. Zoe Sims - HPA

800runner
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by 800runner »

Hmm... I think the ILH meet at Kamehameha will tell us nothing, at least on the boys side (and the girls too?)
Punahou ran very few (no more than 20) in both boys and girls, and none of their what I perceive as their "A" varsity squad. Any explanations?
Iolani boys were in California, so really Kamehameha ran unopposed. I think the only thing stopping Kamehameha from a perfect score at their home meet was MPI's Ryan Hobson.
So this ILH meet tells us nothing about how the league and the runners changed over the last week. Although I'm not expecting much change anyway, given how dominant Kamehameha looks this season anyway.

However, in the OIA, with a decisive one minute, 33 second win, Margarito Martinez extended his distance between himself and the rest of the OIA West. At CORP he was only about one minute ahead, so I think he is probably still getting better and making the idea of him winning state championship all more probable.
On the girls side, there was another shakeup in the finish. Several times this year, these girls (Keith, Pugliese, Jenkins, Kafer, and White) have all been trading spots at the finish line. Today it was Keith and Pugliese, last week it was Jenkins and White, the week before it was Keith, Jenkins, Kafer. So unpredictable.

This week is not worth trying to come up with new predictions. No real ILH competition, and too much OIA shakeup. Even BIIF was not that predictable. Any news from Maui or Kauai?

Oh and regarding cutbacks.
Todaresq makes a great point. Once track comes along, we will see how foolish some cuts can be. The HHSAA cut the number of qualifiers in each event by 6, from 32 to 26. What I don't understand is how this can possibly change the cost. The exact same number of heats for all running events must be run, assuming a full field. Since the maximum in each heat is 8 (or 12 for distance), unless less than 24 people are entered, the same amount of heats will be run. That cutback did not really make sense at all.

not1but2
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by not1but2 »

2LeftFeet wrote:The OIA West times at Waialua may look fast, but because of a scheduled softball game, the route was changed, making it about a tenth of a mile shorter, so you need to add about 40 seconds to all of the times.
yeah and how bout you add on about a minute to the times from Kualoa Ranch seeing it was 300 meters short. I hope it doesn't really take you 40 seconds to run 100 meters.

hzy
High-quality H20 provider

Post by hzy »

not1but2- It was said the course was one-tenth of a mile short, not 100 meters. That would have made it about 160 meters short and depending on the runner this would take about 25-50 seconds to run.

As for on Maui, the Maui High boys and girls won again, though the girls race was run with only Hailey Grossman representing Seabury Hall. Grossman cruised to an easy victory with a 19:51. Following Grossman was Shannon Whener with a time of 20:12. For the top Maui boys, Rocky Balala and Nicola Perez-Garreaud finished 1-2 again, though their times did not improve on a course they ran earlier this year. Both runners held back for the first mile of the race, running around 5th place at the first mile. This strategy may not have affected their finishing places, but it did affect their final times.

Next week on Maui the JV Championships will be ran, followed by the MIL Championships on Oct. 24.

not1but2
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by not1but2 »

"depending on the runner this would take about 25-50 seconds to run", thanks for clarifying hzy.

2LeftFeet
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by 2LeftFeet »

A 40 second 100 meters equals a 10:40 mile which equals a 32 min. 3 mile time. which was about the Varsity Girls last place time at the OIA Western Championship. A 40 second 160 meters (1/10 mile) equals a 6:40 mile which equals a 20 min. 3 mile time, minus 40 seconds for the one tenth mile shortage equals 19:20 which was about one of the top times in the race.
Last edited by 2LeftFeet on Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hzy

Post by hzy »

not1but2, just trying to correct your critique of 2LeftFeet's point about the times at Waialua. So I guess you're welcome for correcting your mistake.

todaresq
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by todaresq »

It's really hard to gauge the competition when everyone is running on different courses (some short others a bit long, some flat others hilly) or at different times, like this past weekend when some were run in the morning as opposed to the mid-afternoon heat. Most of the top runners who were missing were either taking their SAT's or off-island for the intersession. Not much left to ponder except how each runner has improved throughout the season and you'd have to look at the past races and compare their improvements. It will be a fast race in Kauai no matter who wins, it'll be the person who gets out in front (to avoid getting slowed down by all those turn flags), runs under control (not burn out too soon) and saves enough for that last 600m. Good luck to all and don't forget to start practicing with those spikes (remember how soggy it was 4 years ago).

HI Way
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by HI Way »

I think not1but2 needs to work on their math skillz or they will have a hard time calculating their own pace during the race.

crosscartography101
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by crosscartography101 »

The Waialua course is approximatley 40 meters shorter than last year's course. The times can't be compared to any other course with the exception of last year's divisional. The total distance is irrelevant. Some was subtrated and some was added. The softball field was eliminated but the kids went higher up before heading in the farm fields and then farther down before heading to the football field. With a 20:00 run, you should add on about 10 seconds to this year's divisional final times. It's cross country not a certified road race. The weather alone can make a dramatic difference. The OIA West has many talented runners, that alone tells me that whatever the distance was, those were quality performances.

mauioutlaw
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by mauioutlaw »

crosscartography101, and others; I think the reason the comments about the course length are being made is to explain the 'sudden' decrease in some times that are being shown. Even the BIIF meet seems a bit faster than the previous ones run on the Big Island, and no one can dispute that the times at the Iolani Invitational at Kualoa Ranch were exceptionaly fast and no one has repeated those times. I for one appreciate people in the know posting the differences in course length, it helps with my own top 20 prediction list. So to the posters who comment about the course differences, keep it up, it helps put everything in perspective.

Another point of discussion is the number of runners at States, it seems to me from the comments that the cuts are all just a big bunch of political BS. Do the fans of the 'team' sports really even know or care about Cross Country? I think just like the furlough thing, that there are some people out there who make the decisions, who are just trying to make things as difficult as possible for the students/athletes and those involved.
As far as additional fundraising, that wouldn't necessarily be true as fundraising in the past would have included the additional 80 runners. So the net amount needed this year should actually be less. There is always going to be fundraising for things like pre-season tournaments, new uniforms, etc. And I'm sure when the community has enough, someone will come up with other means of raising the money necessary. Pity the poor athlete who does a different sport each season or even worse, more than one sport each season.

Again, thanks to all who comment on course length and abnormalities, it helps those of us who are not as knowledgeable about the different courses.

Waipi'o Lookout
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Waipi'o Lookout »

mauioutlaw - Regarding the BIIF times this week. I think there is a combination of weather and just the fact that we are further along in the year and the kids are in better shape at work here. The last time BIIF ran on the Kamehameha campus the races started in the morning and there were teams from the mainland present so it was mid-day by the time the varsity races began. No less than 5 kids were taken away by ambulance due to heat exhaustion/dehydration that day. This past Saturday, it was still hot, but the weather was not as ridiculous as the September race. It's a moderately difficult course with rolling hills and no pavement (much harder than Waiakea or the Kauai course), but not nearly as difficult as the HPA course (site of last year's state meet).

runitout
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by runitout »

Congratulations to the Castle Knights Varsity Boys and JV Boys Teams for coming in 1st Place in the OIA Eastern Division Championships this past weekend. The OIA East teams/runners are often overlooked and go unrecognized on these boards, so I thought I'd give them some kudos :)

RunJonPaulAMPM
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by RunJonPaulAMPM »

The OIA West schools have a lot of newer, growing neighborhoods, so they have the benefit of larger school populations and more turnout for xc. We should acknowledge what a great job the OIA East side has been able to do, in spite of diminishing numbers at their schools, especially with the competition for student population with all the ILH private schools in their area.