OFFICIAL 2006 STATE CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH: ST. LOUIS VS. KAHUKU

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
COACH BEE
Play Maker
Play Maker

OFFICIAL 2006 STATE CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH: ST. LOUIS VS. KAHUKU

Post by COACH BEE »

As most of us predicted, it is between the Crusaders and the Red Raiders. What are the keys to this game.....sound off everyone!

rrforlifebaby
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by rrforlifebaby »

First and foremost, Kahuku CANNOT give up big pass plays. I think it's safe to say SL won't be able to run on Kahuku with any type of consistency. Kahuku really needs to vary it's offense against that SL defense.

flipen
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Mariners
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Seahawks

Post by flipen »

Will STL be without Mamiya?..He seems like the heart and soul of the offense..Defense actually outscored the offense..

rrforlifebaby
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by rrforlifebaby »

I heard on the radio that Mamiya has a broken collar bone.

SM96753
All-conference
All-conference

Post by SM96753 »

What happened to Mamiya tonight? Didn't see him on the news highlites.

SM96753
All-conference
All-conference

Post by SM96753 »

The Crusaders cannot give up the big run. The Red Raiders pound and pound until they get the big run as was evident in tonight's 80 yarder.

HRC Paul
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HRC Paul »

Mamiya was tackled by Waianae DT Penitani on the first play of SL's third possession. Didn't seem like much of a big contact play, but Mamiya immediately reacted differently and was unable to put any pressure on that arm. They checked him out on the bench, and by the second half, he wasn't even on the sideline. That's when we all realized it was serious.

Pressure is now on SL's staff to work to DeMello's strengths (good runner) ... or maybe keep on doing the stuff that worked tonight, which means to be real conservative and hope defense and special teams win the game for you. Again.

jaySend
Starter
Starter

Post by jaySend »

mamiya is out for season. but..

Kahuku
- i saw Jr. Mata'afa limp off the field lastnight against baldwin, he came back in a few minutes later but didnt look to be %100.
- Punter ricterink also pulled a leg muscle on a botched snap while trying to escape the opposing defenders.

..kahuku insiders whats the deal with these two key red raiders?

jaySend
Starter
Starter

Post by jaySend »

would some one please tell my alma mater kahuku to stop trying to run the ball up the middle when its on your own 1 yd line on 1st 2nd and 3rd downs. it happened 3 games straight against leilehua, waianae, now baldwin. the first two games we gave up safety's and baldwin got a touchdown on us tonight.

if anything is more predictable and more devastating a result it is that.

HRC Paul
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HRC Paul »

Wuzzup JaySend. I think it's fair to ask that question, but also, it wasn't just a straight dive up the middle. There's some delay action in the play that resulted in a fumble (Torres getting hit by Kaimiola-Kaaihue, I believe) and Baldwin TD. If it had been a straight, quick dive to the fullback, probably not a play for a loss. That extra second or two makes all the difference.

If I were a Kahuku fan, I'd want the offense to open up ... when Kahuku scored on the Torres TD pass, his target was wide open. It was there many times, and I'm pretty sure Saint Louis is aware of it by now.

Waianae went to its TE Miller Ualesi for a TD last night, and he had three catches. However, they locked in on him a bit much and SL came up with a pick. Real interesting to see how SL's defense will approach this game. More interesting to see how Kahuku will try to open up the offense ... is it time for Shiloah Te‘o to see more plays on O?

FRICKENrican808
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by FRICKENrican808 »

This is going to be a close and low scoring game, which will be dominated by both defenses. I think the big key to the game will be the play of the special teams and i think st. louis has the edge at that.

Lunas1831
All-conference
All-conference

Defending state D2 champions out

Post by Lunas1831 »

It will be an all outer island affair in the Division 2 game played at 5:00PM this up-comming Friday.

King Kekaulike of the MIL #2 versus Kau'ai Red Raiders of the KIF #1.

As for the Division 1 tourney, it is just a matter of time before the MIL champion will get in, Lahainaluna and Baldwin just need to keep improving their programs to that point.

islandboy808
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer
MLB: New York Yankees
NBA: None
NFL: Dallas Cowboys

Post by islandboy808 »

St. Louis sweaked there way to a victory, waianae dominated them in almost every aspect of the game.

Just poor coaching by the Waianae staff is what led to there defeat.

IMO ST. WHO!!! they didnt beat waianae, waianae beat themselves!!

Grinch
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Grinch »

Waianae: Man, one of the best and hardest-hitting defenses in a long time. Would've enjoyed watching them flying around in the championship - along with the mass of pulling and trapping Olinemen.

Kahuku: Escaped with a great win. Big, fast, athletic, and just know how to win. Gonna be tough without more of a passing game - unless Torres passes to Teo who then throws TDs.

St. Louis: From favored to underdogs without Mamiya. Bummer as it's always good to see the best playing the best. But, St. Louis' defense is tough. Both DEnds and that MLB are relentless.

Prediction: Kahuku (unless St. Louis can find alternatives on offense.)

FIREFOX84770
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by FIREFOX84770 »

Grinch wrote:Waianae: Man, one of the best and hardest-hitting defenses in a long time. Would've enjoyed watching them flying around in the championship - along with the mass of pulling and trapping Olinemen.

Kahuku: Escaped with a great win. Big, fast, athletic, and just know how to win. Gonna be tough without more of a passing game - unless Torres passes to Teo who then throws TDs.

St. Louis: From favored to underdogs without Mamiya. Bummer as it's always good to see the best playing the best. But, St. Louis' defense is tough. Both DEnds and that MLB are relentless.

Prediction: Kahuku (unless St. Louis can find alternatives on offense.)
Grinch,
your absolutely right.
I am one of the biggest Kahuku enthusiast out here and I swear this was the first time that my heart went out to Kahuku's opponent (Baldwin). I was so impressed with their performance on the field. I know there were some talk about the coaches loosing the game for Baldwin, but in all honesty at that moment with time running out for Kahuku, I would've done the exact same thing. A bobbled punt / safety couldn't have come at the worst time for Baldwin. Anyways when Kahuku scored I was cheering so loud I started getting light headed so I had to stop cheering and just try hard to focus my attention on something else before I knock myself out. As I was doing so I started scanning the football field and saw Baldwin players on their knees with their head down that picture the look of exhaustion stuck in my head of an athlete who has given everything that he had, I mean everything he had but came up short. I couldn't help myself [hmm...cough...cough] :oops: I started to get a little teary eye for them, it was the happiest but the saddest moment all at one time.

On the flip side I didn't know that Teo was the JV QB and was suppose to start at QB this year on the varsity per Honda and a few of the Kahuku fans that were next to me. To me he doesn't fit the QB profile, he plays and acts like a defensive player all the way. From where we were sitting you couldn't tell he threw the TD pass. And me being the best and the worst critic of Kahuku was like "why did he throw the pass so high" it took forever for it to come down. Of course I mumbled that under my breath I don't want to offend anybodys son or relative. Fortunately it was caught by Soliai, but when the fans yelled out Shilo's name as the person who threw the ball I was shocked :o kid is talented.

Now as for Mamiya being out...THAT TOTALLY SUCKS! the State Championship game just wouldn't be the same "IF" Kahuku wins...It taints a game that everyone was looking forward for to watch. Questions regarding SL awesome offense. I credit SL backup but Mamiya has become a house hold name and an athlete to reckon with it. Now SL offense lost some of that if not majority of that luster. We know that SL defense is tough, I really like #91 he played real good in fact better than Smith (my observation). However...every defense that Kahuku's offense went up against was tough. Not hard to defend the almighty "DIVE RIGHT", "DIVE LEFT" and when in doubt "DIVE UP THE MIDDLE". Kahuku's offense is :leftfighter3: KILLING ME!