Waianae vs. Kahuku

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
Grinch
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Grinch »

Did you guys see Price's All-Katoosh Team video? I think it was put together by OC16.

It was really well-done, in my opinion.
Except that I'd have put Kaniela T., Noga (from Farrington), and #45 (Durant?)(from Waianae).

SM96753
All-conference
All-conference

Re: Kahuku

Post by SM96753 »

makani wrote:I like watching Kahuku's defense but their offense is the most archaic one in the state. I guess you just run and let your defense win the game. It will be interesting to see states if Kahuku faces a team that can stop the run--because this team can't pass to save their lives.
Agree! If Kahuku falls behind by a couple of scores when they play Honolulu St. Louis (Sorry...I mean if they play Honolulu St. Louis in the finals), they're going to be in trouble. It will be like the old prep bowls when Waianae would be forced to pass because they were behind and running out of time. Oops...overthrow here...short hop there. Incomplete, incomplete, incomplete!

It's difficult to run the ball when you're down in the fourth.

COACH BEE
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by COACH BEE »

LocalCheesehead wrote:I'd like to hear Coach Price do a play by play for a Kahuku/Farrington game. That would be interesting. I think he would invent some new last names! :lol:
He has! That's the sad thing! I feel for the Samoan and Tongan kids since their names get ripped to shreds.

COACH BEE
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by COACH BEE »

SM96753 wrote:
makani wrote:I like watching Kahuku's defense but their offense is the most archaic one in the state. I guess you just run and let your defense win the game. It will be interesting to see states if Kahuku faces a team that can stop the run--because this team can't pass to save their lives.
Agree! If Kahuku falls behind by a couple of scores when they play Honolulu St. Louis (Sorry...I mean if they play Honolulu St. Louis in the finals), they're going to be in trouble. It will be like the old prep bowls when Waianae would be forced to pass because they were behind and running out of time. Oops...overthrow here...short hop there. Incomplete, incomplete, incomplete!

It's difficult to run the ball when you're down in the fourth.
I don't think Kahuku will have difficulty stopping St. Louis' run - even as elusive as Mamiya is, Kahuku's DL and LB crew are too smart and can easily out manuever SL's Zone blocking system. Kahuku's Ends are quick and disciplined so I think Mamiya will have to work harder to make his option or naked bootleg work.
Passing on the other hand is another story. If Mamiya can complete some quick ones in the flats then exploit the deep 1/3s I think Kahuku may struggle.
I do worry about how our offense will fair against SL's defense. SL has a great pair of DE themselves who are not easily fooled and are hecka quick off the ball. It'll be interesting. Our best chance offensively is to pass even off a simple play action............but we already know the chance of that happening.

COACH BEE
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by COACH BEE »

browndog wrote:
SM96753 wrote:
browndog wrote:is it just me or is Larry Price worse than Uncle Jim Leahey when it comes to awareness of what is going on in the game??
For example, tonight, in the early 4th quarter (game clock IS on the top of the monitor), Price says (paraphrased):
"I don't think Waianae needs to rush, we're still in the 3rd quarter."

:o
No it's not you. You're absolutly correct about Price.
How old is that dude anyway???
Dude, too old, he don't look to good on camera nowadays...kinda spooky.

COACH BEE
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by COACH BEE »

Grinch wrote:Did you guys see Price's All-Katoosh Team video? I think it was put together by OC16.

It was really well-done, in my opinion.
Except that I'd have put Kaniela T., Noga (from Farrington), and #45 (Durant?)(from Waianae).
Should he include ILH dudes in this? Got some killahs in the ILH this year. Just wondering.

Grinch
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Grinch »

Regarding the All-Katoosh team - I think it's just from the OIA since the ILH isn't shown on OC16. (This gotta change. Watching Waianae vs. Kahuku was a classic defensive battle. But, boy it would be great to watch Punahou vs. St. Louis, or Kamehameha vs. St. Louis).

COACH BEE
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by COACH BEE »

Grinch wrote:Regarding the All-Katoosh team - I think it's just from the OIA since the ILH isn't shown on OC16. (This gotta change. Watching Waianae vs. Kahuku was a classic defensive battle. But, boy it would be great to watch Punahou vs. St. Louis, or Kamehameha vs. St. Louis).
Very true. There are definitely some defensive stand outs out there.

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

COACH BEE wrote:I don't think Kahuku will have difficulty stopping St. Louis' run - even as elusive as Mamiya is, Kahuku's DL and LB crew are too smart and can easily out manuever SL's Zone blocking system. Kahuku's Ends are quick and disciplined so I think Mamiya will have to work harder to make his option or naked bootleg work.
Passing on the other hand is another story. If Mamiya can complete some quick ones in the flats then exploit the deep 1/3s I think Kahuku may struggle.
I do worry about how our offense will fair against SL's defense. SL has a great pair of DE themselves who are not easily fooled and are hecka quick off the ball. It'll be interesting. Our best chance offensively is to pass even off a simple play action............but we already know the chance of that happening.
Just what I observed from the 2nd Saint Louis VS. Kamehameha game, but Mamiya was shut down when the Warriors were in the 3-4 alignment in the 1st half so that contained the perimeter. Inexplicably the Warriors opened in a 4-3 alignment in the 2nd half...that's when Mamiya could get on the perimeter and turned the game around. Unlike past years, the Saints don't have a bruising back to run inside the tackles, but rather have a slew of smaller quicker backs led by soph Austin Wakinekona that run better on the perimeter and through cutback lanes. JMHO but if Kahuku ends up matched up against the Saints in the State finals, the Red Raiders should stick with their normal 3-4 alignment so that the OLBs can play contain rather than the DEs.

As for Kahuku's offense against the Saints, JMHO but the Red Raiders are gonna have to open up their playbook some more for the States (and especially against the Saints) than they did against Waianae to increase their odds of success. No one in the ILH has run successfully against the Saints all year. However, JMHO but the Saints OLBs aren't as quick nor are the DTs as big up the middle, so some quick hitters up the middle mixed in with some perimeter option may work. Simple play action passes haven't really worked all year against the Saints since the ILH QBs just haven't had enough time to pass due to quickness of DEs Scott Smith and Solomona Aigamaua. Just ask anyone who watched Kamehameha lose twice to the Saints even though the Warrior defense held down the Saints twice...1 TD & 1 FG in 1st game, and 2 TD & 1 FG in 2nd game. Just what I observed but quick seam routes with slots (used by Punahou) and sneaking the TE out (used by Kamehameha) has worked against the Saints D this year.

HRC Paul
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HRC Paul »

Love the observations again, Kapakahi. I should get you to write some stories for the paper!

Kahuku is just so dominant at the line of scrimmage. It's possible they won't show any of the passing game in the semifinal. Maybe they're saving the goods for the title game. Until then, I have a hard time picturing a string of completions, regardless of what routes they use.

If this team can win the state title without completing a pass, that would be truly insane. They were 0-for-3 against Waianae, so it's possible.

COACH BEE
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by COACH BEE »

HRC Paul wrote:Love the observations again, Kapakahi. I should get you to write some stories for the paper!

Kahuku is just so dominant at the line of scrimmage. It's possible they won't show any of the passing game in the semifinal. Maybe they're saving the goods for the title game. Until then, I have a hard time picturing a string of completions, regardless of what routes they use.

If this team can win the state title without completing a pass, that would be truly insane. They were 0-for-3 against Waianae, so it's possible.
Paul, I can guarantee a string of Incompletions. You cant pass to those you cant see. And even when you see them, you still need to try to throw over your 6'5 OL. The shortest of the OL is Roman and he's still taller than the QB at 5'8.

HRC Paul
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HRC Paul »

Coach B, do you think the offense (especially the passing game) would be different if DJ had been OC? I know he wanted to help, and Coach Torres wanted him there, but the new job took him away.

There have been a lot of teams that could pass effectively with similar challenges. Move the pocket, rollouts, etc. Doug Flutie was pretty dang good at BC and he was listed at 5-9. Whatchu tink?

COACH BEE
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by COACH BEE »

HRC Paul wrote:Coach B, do you think the offense (especially the passing game) would be different if DJ had been OC? I know he wanted to help, and Coach Torres wanted him there, but the new job took him away.
Definitely. In fact DJ wanted the QB to be Shiloah Te'o, who had been a QB/SS since he was 8 years old playing Pop Warner. Shiloah was forced to choose between defense and offense Freshman year and chose defense. When DJ came back to Kahuku, he told me that he intended to make Shiloah Kahuku's QB - he had the height - the athletic ability - and the canon. But again Shiloah had to choose - and again he chose differently. I had the opportunity to coach with DJ during the Red & White game preceeding the 2005 season. DJ really likes to "open up the playbook". He is totally on the opposite side of the spectrum compared to Reggie.
HRC Paul wrote:There have been a lot of teams that could pass effectively with similar challenges. Move the pocket, rollouts, etc. Doug Flutie was pretty dang good at BC and he was listed at 5-9. Whatchu tink?
I love Richie, but he is simply an undersized option QB that has a descent throwing arm. But don't let his offensive game fool you about this kid's athleticism. You put him on the defensive side of the ball and you'll see something totally different!!! He is possibly the BEST Corner in all of the OIA. For as little as he played in 2005, I think he totalled the most picks out of all of Kahuku's CBs. He is phenomenal on defense, fearless against large opponents. Great Kid. With him too, the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree. Reggie is a great guy too.

HRC Paul
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HRC Paul »

I wonder if DJ would have been conservative like Coach Torres ... he loved to play smashmouth football at Kailua. I thought he would've opened the playbook up a lot more there, but he had the mammoths up front and it usually worked.

I remember talk last year about Shiloah taking over at QB for this season ... from what you said, it sounds like he's totally out of the picture at QB. As for Richard, I've seen just a bit of his playmaking on defense. You're right 100 percent. The guy is amazing, quick to the ball, incredibly smart. That's where he'll play in college, I think.

Had Shiloah chosen to play QB, Richard would be playing every down on defense ... I wonder what that would've looked like. Shiloah's bigger, but I think Richard's faster. Having depth is a great luxury, no doubt about it.

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

COACH BEE wrote:
HRC Paul wrote:Love the observations again, Kapakahi. I should get you to write some stories for the paper!

Paul, I can guarantee a string of Incompletions. You can't pass to those you can't see. And even when you see them, you still need to try to throw over your 6'5 OL. The shortest of the OL is Roman and he's still taller than the QB at 5'8.
Coach Bee....

No disrespect to Waianae, Mililani, Baldwin & Kealakehe since it's obvious that we're getting ahead of ourselves in talking about this Kahuku VS. Saint Louis match-up at this point. That being said, if it indeed comes down to this match-up, I feel that Kahuku will need to open up their playbook as much as possible even if alot of passing isn't involved just to keep the Crusader defense guessing even a little bit to give the Red Raiders the best opportunity to be effective and hold the ball and try to wear down the Crusader defense. Kamehameha-Oahu runs a pretty conservative offense, but the Warriors were pretty successful in the 1st half of their 2nd game against Saint Louis when they might just slight offensive adjustments. In the end, Saint Louis defense adjusted in the 2nd half and the Warriors offense couldn't make the necessary counter adjustments.

In the Saint Louis victories over Punahou, the Crusader defense did wear down a bit in the 2nd halves of both games when the Puns had some sustained drives. In the Saint Louis victories over Kamehameha-Oahu, the Warriors' inconsistency on offense in both games eventually resulted in the Crusader offense wearing down the Warrior defense in the 2nd halves of both games. Ball control will matter if this match-up ever occurs. Whereas Kahuku's defense may not wear down like Kamehameha-Oahu's defense did, I feel that Kahuku offensive could eventually wear down the Crusader defense if they controlled the ball with a more varied offense (even if just more varied running attack) that just running between the tackles from the double tight-end, eye-formation. Even Iolani was pretty effective against Saint Louis on the perimeter (with short passes & mis-direction runs) since the Crusaders OLBs aren't as quick out there as in past years. The Crusader front 4 is their strength this year (especially since they rotate players constantly throughout the games) along with MLB Jacob Barit but JMHO but their OLBs and DBs are a little suspect.

I agree that 5'8" may kinda short to pass effectively on any consistent basis but should be effective enough once in a while especially since the Kahuku TEs are such big targets. BUT Mamiya is even shorter than Torres at 5'7" and seems to pass pretty effectively when he needs to even though the Crusader Oline is pretty huge themselves.