2021-2022 Wrestling Season

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: 2021-2022 Wrestling Season

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

@talloola25:

Well, the OIA will allow spectators again starting next week Monday, Jan 31. As for ILH schools like Kamehameha, well, guess you'll have to continue relying on those videos. You know who would be a good source about all the schools? Wrestling coaches. Perhaps some wrestling coaches could weigh-in here, using their User Names, of course, to protect their anonymity :) .

talloola25
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by talloola25 »

Unfortunately it looks like wrestling will be the only sport that won't allow spectators. https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2022/01/2 ... er-sports/

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@talloola25:

Well, isn't that stupid? Why should wrestling be singled-out like that? I presume they'll allow spectators for basketball? What's the difference? Both basketball and wrestling are held in gyms.

talloola25
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by talloola25 »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:10 am @talloola25:

Well, isn't that stupid? Why should wrestling be singled-out like that? I presume they'll allow spectators for basketball? What's the difference? Both basketball and wrestling are held in gyms.
Wrestling doesn't require masks for competitors and I guess they don't want the competitors and the fans mingling(Wrestling they do and basketball they don't)? Honestly no idea, but that's the best I can come up with. Sucks either way

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@talloola25:

Oh; OK. Well, I guess if the wrestlers aren't masked, that could spread COVID more than in basketball, in which the players do have to wear masks. The funny thing is that many of the basketball players' masks aren't covering their noses, and sometimes not even their mouths, because the masks tend to roll completely down their faces during the hustle and running in basketball. That happens with the girls, too, in girls' basketball.

justafan
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by justafan »

On the boys side, if STL shows up at the big show, they’ll be the front runners. Kamehameha looks like they can make some noise too.
Mililani and Kam should have 3-4 finalists on the girls side

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@justafan:

Thanks for providing updates on wrestling. I don't really follow wrestling that closely, so I for one appreciate the "inside scoops" you post. I don't particulary care for St Louis School, so I'm sorry to hear that they'll likely be the boys' front-runners. You mentioned Kamehameha might "make some noise"; I like Kamehameha Schools, so I'm glad to hear that. Go Warriors.

ChadFukuoka, I see you're online. justafan, how's Aiea in wrestling this coming season?

talloola25
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by talloola25 »

Aiea has some a few up and comers. Their 138 on the boys side has been doing really well so far(undefeated I think) and a couple others are getting good results.

@justafan: St.Louis has Buscit, Villalpando(has he even competed yet?) and Opetaia(if healthy).... but who else? I'm just curious. Kamehameha beat them pretty soundly in their dual with a very young squad. Villalpando and Opetaia didn't compete though.

I think the State Tourney will be the most interesting we've seen in years. There will be a lot of surprises that people don't see coming.
Possible Champs?113-Buscit(StL) 120-Lau(MidPac) 126-Kamimura(KAL) 132-Ravidas(BAL)/Villapando 145-Yawata(IOL) 170-Desantos(LEI) 195-Nitahara(MOA) ??? Honesty throwing darts in the dark. Any insight would be great.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@talloola25:

Thanks for your post.

ChadFukuoka: It sounds like Aiea at least won't suck; that's a relief. I mean, with so many schools competing, things could have been worse.

talloola25, thanks for the encouraging news (to me, at least) that St Louis might not be the front-runner after all, as I don't exactly like that school. From what you said, it sounds like Kamehameha might be able to beat them. I like Kamehameha Schools, and it's much easier to continue liking a school when they win.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:35 pm @talloola25:

Thanks for your post.

ChadFukuoka: It sounds like Aiea at least won't suck; that's a relief. I mean, with so many schools competing, things could have been worse.

talloola25, thanks for the encouraging news (to me, at least) that St Louis might not be the front-runner after all, as I don't exactly like that school. From what you said, it sounds like Kamehameha might be able to beat them. I like Kamehameha Schools, and it's much easier to continue liking a school when they win.
It’s nice Aiea is doing well in at least one winter sport. Basketball hasn’t been doing well.

Although Pearl City is a rival, when I was attending high school, their wrestling teams were pretty decent. I also had some cousins who attended Pearl City during that time, and they told me the wrestlers were among the more popular and well know athletes on campus. I’m not sure how they are doing now.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@ChadFukuoka: Well, perhaps talloola25 can tell us. talloola25, how will Pearl City do this year?

ChadFukuoka, while Aiea's boys' basketball team might not be doing too hot, their girls' soccer team seems to be kicking butt. They kicked Radford's butts, 8-0, this past Tuesday. I mean, when you win a soccer match 8-0, you've kicked butt. A 4-0 score would be considered a buttkicking.

FlyingSquirrel808
High-quality H20 provider

Post by FlyingSquirrel808 »

talloola25 wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:27 am Aiea has some a few up and comers. Their 138 on the boys side has been doing really well so far(undefeated I think) and a couple others are getting good results.

@justafan: St.Louis has Buscit, Villalpando(has he even competed yet?) and Opetaia(if healthy).... but who else? I'm just curious. Kamehameha beat them pretty soundly in their dual with a very young squad. Villalpando and Opetaia didn't compete though.

I think the State Tourney will be the most interesting we've seen in years. There will be a lot of surprises that people don't see coming.
Possible Champs?113-Buscit(StL) 120-Lau(MidPac) 126-Kamimura(KAL) 132-Ravidas(BAL)/Villapando 145-Yawata(IOL) 170-Desantos(LEI) 195-Nitahara(MOA) ??? Honesty throwing darts in the dark. Any insight would be great.
It's really hard to pick state champs this year since there was no cross league matches at all. Oahu hasn't even seen the outer island kids in about 2 years. There might be some studs out there we don't even know about! Here are my picks on the boys side so far though:
106: Cyris Bucsit (St. Louis)
113: Khansith Chantabouasith (Leilehua)
120: Logan Lau (Midpac)
126: Tobey Ravida (Baldwin)
132: Dreddin Villalpando (St. Louis)
138: Kade Okura (Kalani)
145: Ramos Suzuki (Kalani)
152: ??
160: Blaze Sumiye (Moanalua)
170: Po'okela Desantos (Leilehua)
182: Karter Nitahara (Moanalua)
195: Boston Opetaia (St. Louis)
220: ??
285: Dikilato (Kamehameha)

talloola25
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by talloola25 »

@HS Football Fanatic: Umm let's see. Based on some results I've seen, looks like PC has a few to watch. Molina(girls) at 132 and Rapoza(boys) at 138 are ones to keep your eyes on. The rest of the team is similar to other teams with a lot of new faces.
@FlyingSquirrel808: Not sure if Buscit can make 106, but is probably the best at 113 regardless(who knows honestly with no cross league interaction). Not sure if Sumiya is going to go down to 160 either. Also, Nitahara has been at 195 all year. Not sure if he's going down, but they both are title contenders no matter what weight they go.
In 2 weeks, at least the OIA will have had Divisionals ... so'll we'll at least have a better idea on weight classes. Still have no idea on outer island wrestlers for the most part. Their tournaments don't have a lot of weights competed in so it's hard to get a bearing. In the ILH it seems wrestlers are having to change weight classes to get matches, so not sure on them either.
Such a chaotic season, but will be interesting ... that's for sure

FlyingSquirrel808

Post by FlyingSquirrel808 »

talloola25 wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:14 am @HS Football Fanatic: Umm let's see. Based on some results I've seen, looks like PC has a few to watch. Molina(girls) at 132 and Rapoza(boys) at 138 are ones to keep your eyes on. The rest of the team is similar to other teams with a lot of new faces.
@FlyingSquirrel808: Not sure if Buscit can make 106, but is probably the best at 113 regardless(who knows honestly with no cross league interaction). Not sure if Sumiya is going to go down to 160 either. Also, Nitahara has been at 195 all year. Not sure if he's going down, but they both are title contenders no matter what weight they go.
In 2 weeks, at least the OIA will have had Divisionals ... so'll we'll at least have a better idea on weight classes. Still have no idea on outer island wrestlers for the most part. Their tournaments don't have a lot of weights competed in so it's hard to get a bearing. In the ILH it seems wrestlers are having to change weight classes to get matches, so not sure on them either.
Yeah, you're right, it's hard to say what weight everyone will be going down to officially right now. This coming weekend should be a better indicator now that the 2 pound weight allowance is in effect (all weight classes are now +2 pounds). We'll probably see a bunch of the kids dropping a weight class.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

talloola25 wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:14 am @HS Football Fanatic: Umm let's see. Based on some results I've seen, looks like PC has a few to watch. Molina(girls) at 132 and Rapoza(boys) at 138 are ones to keep your eyes on. The rest of the team is similar to other teams with a lot of new faces.
@talloola25:

Thanks for responding. Man, you are really into wrestling, even down to the weight classes.

@ChadFukuoka:

Well, talloola25 just gave you his prognosis about Pearl City for this year.