Open/D-I Top Ten 2021

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Open/D-I Top Ten 2021

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

@ChadFukuoka:

Well, it all depends; it's a bit more complicated than that. Yes, usually I'll cheer for a public school over a private school, but not always. For example, I like Kamehameha Schools, which is a private school. Obviously, I don't like that school because it's a private school; I've just mentioned that I usually cheer for public schools first. But, I like Kamehameha Schools for some reason, and I've liked them for years. I don't know what it is; I just like them, see? I can't tell you why, because I don't really know why; it's just one of those things. All I know is how I feel, and sometimes I don't know why I feel that way. That's why, when two schools are playing in any sport, I look at the two schools and check my gut as to which school I like more (or, alternatively, which school I dislike less. Sometimes I don't particularly like either school.) So, it's very complicated.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

I'm hoping Kahuku wins for reasons that go beyond football. They've suffered a lot of personal tragedies since their last championship (between Kona Schwenke and their most recent loss that I know of--assistant David Vimahi).
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@gopunahou:

That's very nice and classy of you. For me, I support them simply because I want them to beat St Louis. I resent St Louis School because they ended the season of a school I like, Kamehameha Schools. And of course, St Louis School ended your alma mater's season, too.

Speaking of personal tragedies, I think I read in today's paper that Rod York's dad passed-away. Rod, if you're reading this, my deepest condolences to you. May you find strength and peace during this difficult time. So sorry that this happened.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:02 pm @gopunahou:

That's very nice and classy of you. For me, I support them simply because I want them to beat St Louis. I resent St Louis School because they ended the season of a school I like, Kamehameha Schools. And of course, St Louis School ended your alma mater's season, too.
I know what it is to have my team suffer personal tragedies. We've suffered many losses over the years.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@gopunahou:

Indeed, surely every school's team has suffered personal tragedies, especially when you look at a period of time that covers years. It's just life, I guess. As locals say, "Az why hahd."

TheNewNORM
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by TheNewNORM »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:29 pm @TheNewNORM:

Yeah, they might as well play at Farrington's stadium. Mililani will whip them no matter where they play. No amount of home-field advantage will help Farrington enough. I say that reluctantly, as I like Farrington High, while I don't particularly like Mililani High. But, things are what they are.
But still. This could have been Farrington s Bowl Game. With all the NFL linemen that Kalihi has produced, I wish they could put together a stellar football team.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@TheNewNORM:

But, it would certainly be a bowl game to forget. Again, Farrington is going to get clobbered by Mililani. And yes, Kalihi has produced a number of NFL linemen. But, not all Kalihi kids go to Farrington High. Some go to McKinley High (that school draws from MWH and Lanakila Homes, both of which are in Kalihi), and I'd say most go to St Louis School because that school has been raiding MWH for some 40 years now. Despite all that, Farrington High always has choke thick O-linemen, and this year is no exception. Yet, Farrington is currently at the bottom of OIA Open. I think the problem traditionally with Farrington High's O-linemen is that, yes, they're thick, but they're also slow. I mean, look at where Farrington High is in OIA Open right now: Last.

TheNewNORM
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by TheNewNORM »

Off local hs subject, but watching Mater Dei vs.Servite live on Bally sport was an eye opener. Mater Dei defense is huge and fast. Hard to believe this is high school.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

TheNewNORM wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:22 pm Off local hs subject, but watching Mater Dei vs.Servite live on Bally sport was an eye opener. Mater Dei defense is huge and fast. Hard to believe this is high school.
I think Mater Dei is ranked #1 in the country. Imagine if St Louis has played them to open the season, like they at one point were supposed to do so, they would have been likely blown out.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@ChadFukuoka:

Yes, my understanding is that Mater Dei is #1 in the nation. And yes, I wish St Louis school had played them, as they would have been blown-out by a larger margin than Bishop Gorman blew them out by. I resent that St Louis ended Kamehameha Schools' season, as I like that school. Right now, I'm hoping Kahuku can beat them in Open States. Then St Louis School's supporters can experience the anguish I felt, you know? What goes around, comes around.

Look, I know Kamehameha beat St Louis twice, and that that probably pissed-off St Louis School's supporters. But those losses didn't end St Louis' season. So, Kamehameha didn't end St Louis' season. But St Louis ended Kamehameha's season, and for me, that really sucked. I'd like Kahuku to make St Louis pay in Open States.

OldManJenkins
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by OldManJenkins »

State Tourney
Open div Semis Dec 18 at Farrington Champs Dec 23 at Mililani
Div I Semis Dec 17. at Farrington Champs Dec 23 Mililani
Div II Semis Dec 22 at Mililani Champs Dec 30 Farrington

They say Farrington capacity is 4,000 and Mililani is 5,000. Mililani has a broken score board.
This is all per Bedrock sports
The Almighty GrumpyOldManJenkins coaching from right field is back.. and older

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@OldManJenkins:

We'll see if the DOE can fix Mililani High's scoreboard by Dec 23. (DAGS doesn't do that anymore.)

TheNewNORM
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by TheNewNORM »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:47 am @OldManJenkins:

We'll see if the DOE can fix Mililani High's scoreboard by Dec 23. (DAGS doesn't do that anymore.)
The biggest problem was Mililani lights and not just the scoreboard. I rather Farrington host it. Also if Mililani was NOT one of the 4 participants then OK. Possibility of being #3 place but have home field advantage is suspect.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@TheNewNORM:

Well, again, I think "home-field advantage" is overrated. Ask Roosevelt High. They played Moanalua High at Roosevelt Stadium. Roosevelt went up 21-0, but ended up losing, 27-21. I don't think the Rough Riders had much of a home-field advantage.

TheNewNORM
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by TheNewNORM »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:28 am @TheNewNORM:

But, it would certainly be a bowl game to forget. Again, Farrington is going to get clobbered by Mililani. And yes, Kalihi has produced a number of NFL linemen. But, not all Kalihi kids go to Farrington High. Some go to McKinley High (that school draws from MWH and Lanakila Homes, both of which are in Kalihi), and I'd say most go to St Louis School because that school has been raiding MWH for some 40 years now. Despite all that, Farrington High always has choke thick O-linemen, and this year is no exception. Yet, Farrington is currently at the bottom of OIA Open. I think the problem traditionally with Farrington High's O-linemen is that, yes, they're thick, but they're also slow. I mean, look at where Farrington High is in OIA Open right now: Last.
MWH and Lanakila are not in Kalihi. The Kapalama river separates Kalihi from Palama and Kapalama. Almost like saying Palolo and Kapahulu is Kaimuki.