Open/D-I Top Ten 2021

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Re: Open/D-I Top Ten 2021

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:25 pm @ChadFukuoka:

I think you're right. I doubt that "Mighty Mules" is the school's official nickname; I think it's just, "Mules". I recall attending a Moanalua football game back in the late-'80s, and I heard the cheerleaders shout, "Go Mighty Menes!" ("Menes" is short for, "Menehunes". The school didn't officially change its nickname to "Na Menehune" until about 2006. Of course the nickname didn't really "change"; they just made it correctly Hawaiian.)
Adding the word “mighty” before a nickname is fairly common for athletic teams. I think for youth or Pop Warner football across the US, one of the age groups is actually the mighty mites. I think that’s for younger kids like 7-9. I remember that from when one of my cousins played youth football.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

gopunahou wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:17 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:28 pm
gopunahou wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:10 pm On the subject of Iolani’s presence in D1, will they now feel the need to field the types of teams that they did in the 90s?
@gopunahou:

I don't know, I think Iolani School has been extraordinarily lucky the past 15-20 years. I mean, they generally haven't had much physical size during those years, yet they've never sucked in football. They've often/usually been ILH champs in whichever division they happened to be in. And even right now, they're ILH (D1) champs again. Having said that, I don't think they "feel the need" to field outstanding teams the way, say, St Louis School does. I don't get the impression that Iolani alumni are as rabid about football excellence as St Louis alumni are; that's one thing.
They were much bigger than Damien and Pac-Five in the 90s.
@gopunahou:

Yes, but like I said, over the past 15-20 years--(so, since the mid 2000s or so)--they usually weren't that big. I don't know why they no longer have the size that they did before then. In fact, when they won the ILH title in '80, they had a pretty big O-line. That was one reason they won the title that year. They also had a good QB: Dirk Apao.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

ChadFukuoka wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:29 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:25 pm @ChadFukuoka:

I think you're right. I doubt that "Mighty Mules" is the school's official nickname; I think it's just, "Mules". I recall attending a Moanalua football game back in the late-'80s, and I heard the cheerleaders shout, "Go Mighty Menes!" ("Menes" is short for, "Menehunes". The school didn't officially change its nickname to "Na Menehune" until about 2006. Of course the nickname didn't really "change"; they just made it correctly Hawaiian.)
Adding the word “mighty” before a nickname is fairly common for athletic teams. I think for youth or Pop Warner football across the US, one of the age groups is actually the mighty mites. I think that’s for younger kids like 7-9. I remember that from when one of my cousins played youth football.
@ChadFukuoka:

Yeah, well, I just think it would be kind of ridiculous if every school started throwing-in "Mighty" before their official nickname. Take your alma mater, for example. In Aiea High's case, it would be especially ridiculous because, like Moanalua, they have a Hawaiian nickname: Na Alii. So, what would it become? Mighty Na Alii? Now you have not two, but three words in the nickname. Just seems that at some point it gets ridiculous.

When I was in high school in the mid-'70s, Aiea High's nickname was, "Aliis". But, that's not correct Hawaiian. So, during the mid-'80s, I think, it was changed to, "Na Alii". As in Moanalua High's case, this wasn't really a change of nickname; it was just a modification to make it correctly Hawaiian.

Jacob Makaiwi
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Jacob Makaiwi »

@HS Football Fanatic

I was just letting you know why people call them that because you were asking about it. It’s not something I added just because I wanted to. It’s just what I know them as. I don’t necessarily feel it matters, but you are right to feel the way you do about it and about people adding things to themselves.

The Mighty Mules name is on buildings around the Campus. Not only is it on the outside sign, but the big wall of the library building right at the front of the campus has it officially imprinted with “Leilehua High School: Proud Home of the Mighty Mules”. You can drive over to the Wahiawa and look if you like. Maybe the Mighty wasn’t originally a part of the name, but it was added eventually. All my life I’ve seen the imprint on the buildings say Mighty Mules. Who knows, maybe a few years from now the Kahuku Red Raiders will officially become the Kahuku Red Raiders for Life, but us old timers will still be calling them the Red Raiders and not even know that they added something else to their name lol. I don’t agree or disagree with the name of Leilehua’s mascot, it’s just what I call them on occasion because that’s also what they’re known as. But yes, you have the right to feel however you feel about things like that man, it’s all good 🤙🏾
Last edited by Jacob Makaiwi on Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Jacob Makaiwi
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Jacob Makaiwi »

Having a Mule as your mascot is kind of lame anyways so I guess adding Mighty to it can’t possibly make it sound worse 😂

Speaking of Mascots, does Punahou have one? I know that they’re the Punahou Buff n Blue. But is that it? Is their mascot just a name like the Alabama Crimson Tide? Or do they actually have some kind of physical Mascot? Like how Alabama also has an Elephant. Sorry, random question.

Jacob Makaiwi
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Jacob Makaiwi »

My predictions for this upcoming weekend:
- KS-Hawaii over Honokaa
- Aiea over Roosevelt
- Kaiser over Kalaheo
- Lahainaluna over Kekaulike
- PAC 5 over Pearl City
- Waianae upset over Campbell
- Kapolei over Farrington
- Kealakehe over Waiakea
- Kohala over Kau
- Kapaa over Kauai
- KS-Maui over Maui
- Iolani over Kailua
- Kalani over Waialua
- Nanakuli over Kaimuki
- Radford over McKinley
- Moanalua over Castle
- Kahuku over Leilehua
- Konawaena over Keaau
I don’t see it on Scoringlive yet, but I’m pretty sure these two are playing each other this weekend too:
- KS-Kapalama over St.Louis

I really hope Leilehua proves me and pretty much everyone wrong this weekend! Anything is possible 🤙🏾

My only upset predicted was Waianae over Campbell. I think they’re confidence from their last win can help them edge out a close game verse Campbell.

I think some people may view PAC-5 over Pearl City as a slight upset, but I think PAC-5 having more game experiences compared to Pearl City will be the factor.

Some people also may see Kamehameha over St.Louis as a slight upset as well, but I think Kamehameha’s bye was a great advantage and I think their play styles on Offense and Defense are good neutralizers against St.Louis’s style of play. I also think their game adjustments and coaching has been better than St.Louis so far this season so I think that’s another factor.
Last edited by Jacob Makaiwi on Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Jacob Makaiwi wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:04 pm Having a Mule as your mascot is kind of lame anyways so I guess adding Mighty to it can’t possibly make it sound worse 😂

Speaking of Mascots, does Punahou have one? I know that they’re the Punahou Buff n Blue. But is that it? Is their mascot just a name like the Alabama Crimson Tide? Or do they actually have some kind of physical Mascot? Like how Alabama also has an Elephant. Sorry, random question.
Our mascot is just a name, although students of ours dress in all blue for Homecoming games (or big ones).
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

Jacob Makaiwi
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Jacob Makaiwi »

gopunahou wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:43 pm
Jacob Makaiwi wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:04 pm Having a Mule as your mascot is kind of lame anyways so I guess adding Mighty to it can’t possibly make it sound worse 😂

Our mascot is just a name, although students of ours dress in all blue for Homecoming games (or big ones).
Oh cool! Anytime I played against Punahou I always wondered. And now I finally know! Thanks man 🤙🏾

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

Jacob Makaiwi wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:46 pm

Oh cool! Anytime I played against Punahou I always wondered. And now I finally know! Thanks man 🤙🏾
I’m sure gopunahou can clarify this, but I believe Punahou’s buff n blue nickname originated from when their campus was first built in the mid 1800’s. Back then, there were no hotels in what is now Waikiki. So from the Punahou campus, you could look out and see Waikiki beach. Buff is an old timey word for a light yellowish color (the sand), and blue refers to the Ocean blue color of the water.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

ChadFukuoka wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:01 pm
Jacob Makaiwi wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:46 pm
I’m sure gopunahou can clarify this, but I believe Punahou’s buff n blue nickname originated from when their campus was first built in the mid 1800’s. Back then, there were no hotels in what is now Waikiki. So from the Punahou campus, you could look out and see Waikiki beach. Buff is an old timey word for a light yellowish color (the sand), and blue refers to the Ocean blue color of the water.
Yes. That's the truth. We also called ourselves Oahu College.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

bandits1
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by bandits1 »

ChadFukuoka wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:29 pm Adding the word “mighty” before a nickname is fairly common for athletic teams. I think for youth or Pop Warner football across the US, one of the age groups is actually the mighty mites. I think that’s for younger kids like 7-9. I remember that from when one of my cousins played youth football.
Yup. Pearl City, who of course are the Chargers, used to(maybe still do, I dunno) use the phrase "Mighty Chargers" all over the place. I'm pretty sure it's in all of my yearbooks somewhere. Very common to add the word mighty even if it's not officially part of the school's mascot's name. Don't know why someone's having a hissy fit over it.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

bandits1 wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:40 pm
ChadFukuoka wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:29 pm Adding the word “mighty” before a nickname is fairly common for athletic teams. I think for youth or Pop Warner football across the US, one of the age groups is actually the mighty mites. I think that’s for younger kids like 7-9. I remember that from when one of my cousins played youth football.
Yup. Pearl City, who of course are the Chargers, used to(maybe still do, I dunno) use the phrase "Mighty Chargers" all over the place. I'm pretty sure it's in all of my yearbooks somewhere. Very common to add the word mighty even if it's not officially part of the school's mascot's name. Don't know why someone's having a hissy fit over it.
I always thought it was cool that purple was one of your school colors, even though I went to Aiea, one of your rivals. It was so unique to me, I think Pearl City is the only high school on Oahu that uses that color. Do you know the origin behind the school colors? I believe purple was a symbol of royalty a long time ago, but not sure if that has anything to do with it.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Jacob Makaiwi wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:03 pm @HS Football Fanatic

I was just letting you know why people call them that because you were asking about it. It’s not something I added just because I wanted to. It’s just what I know them as. I don’t necessarily feel it matters, but you are right to feel the way you do about it and about people adding things to themselves.

The Mighty Mules name is on buildings around the Campus. Not only is it on the outside sign, but the big wall of the library building right at the front of the campus has it officially imprinted with “Leilehua High School: Proud Home of the Mighty Mules”. You can drive over to the Wahiawa and look if you like. Maybe the Mighty wasn’t originally a part of the name, but it was added eventually. All my life I’ve seen the imprint on the buildings say Mighty Mules. Who knows, maybe a few years from now the Kahuku Red Raiders will officially become the Kahuku Red Raiders for Life, but us old timers will still be calling them the Red Raiders and not even know that they added something else to their name lol. I don’t agree or disagree with the name of Leilehua’s mascot, it’s just what I call them on occasion because that’s also what they’re known as. But yes, you have the right to feel however you feel about things like that man, it’s all good 🤙🏾
@Jacob Makaiwi:

Oh no, I'm not mad or anything. I'm just yapping about high school nicknames; I do find the topic interesting. I wasn't offended by your post or anything; I was just rambling-on about school nicknames.

I'm glad you brought-up the "Red Raider For Life" thing. I remember mentioning to ChadFukuoka some time back that any school can use that scheme. I used his alma mater, Aiea High, as an example. Aiea alumni can say, "Na Alii For Life".

Again, I wasn't in any way offended by your post or anything; I was just rambling in general about the topic of school nicknames.

Jacob Makaiwi
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Jacob Makaiwi »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:27 am
Jacob Makaiwi wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:03 pm @HS Football Fanatic

@Jacob Makaiwi:

Oh no, I'm not mad or anything. I'm just yapping about high school nicknames; I do find the topic interesting. I wasn't offended by your post or anything; I was just rambling-on about school nicknames.

I'm glad you brought-up the "Red Raider For Life" thing. I remember mentioning to ChadFukuoka some time back that any school can use that scheme. I used his alma mater, Aiea High, as an example. Aiea alumni can say, "Na Alii For Life".

Again, I wasn't in any way offended by your post or anything; I was just rambling in general about the topic of school nicknames.
Cool! Thanks for the clarification man 🤙🏾 You’re right though, it sure me an interesting topic.

TheNewNORM
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by TheNewNORM »

OIA TOP TEN
After 2 weeks and other local polls, my Top 10 OIA.

1. KAHUKU
2. MILILANI
3. CAMPBELL
4. WAIANAE
5. KAPOLEI
6. WAIPAHU
7. MOANALUA
8. RADFORD
9. FARRINGTON
10. CASTLE
Roosevelt
Kailua
Aiea

Did not know Bobby George was OC at Waianae. Like Kahuku, WAIANAE will now pass first before the run. Proof in the pudding the one week swing from Mililani lost to Leileihua win.

Radford jumped in all the way from D2, because of a solid team and Coach Fred Salanoa influence.