Open/D-I Top Ten 2021

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Open/D-I Top Ten 2021

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

gopunahou wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:38 am
unpaid wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:18 am Updated Top Ten,

1.Kamehameha 1-1 Beat St.Louis.
2.St.Louis 1-2 Lost to Kamehameha.
3.Kahuku 0-0 Resume practice.
4.Punahou 1-1 DNP.
5.Mililani 0-0 Resume practice.
6.Campbell 0-0 Resume practice.
7.Iolani 5-0 Beat Damien. Clinch a state D-I playoff berth.
8.Farrington 0-0 Resume practice.
9.Hilo 0-0 Resume practice.
10.Lahainaluna 0-0 Resume practice.

Resume practice...sounds good,doesn’t it?

Kamehameha seems to have a decent offense to go with their defense this year. Kudos to the Warriors.
There is one concern about their defense. We passed all over them when we played them. I wonder if that improved between their game against us and their game against St. Louis.
@gopunahou: If there's anything that improved about Kamehameha's D, it would have to be their secondary. Last night those DBs were flying around all over the field, making plays. On many plays, Kamehameha's DBs were covering St Louis' receivers like Saran wrap, and batting-away balls or pounding balls out of the receivers' hands. They also did a good job of wrapping-up after the catch, limiting St Louis' yards-after-catch. DB Kyle Lee picked-off Bianco once and ran the ball back for good yardage. Without a doubt, if there was one component of Kamehameha's D that should get a medal (or perhaps one of those gold chains?) it's the secondary.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

unpaid wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:07 am Checked out the stats on Scoringlive. St.Louis passed for 344 yards and outgained Kamehameha in total offense. Warriors had the better ground game,kicking game,and the defense bent but didn’t break.
@unpaid: I don't know about Kamehameha's kicking game. On almost every punt, St Louis nearly blocked the kick. Kamehameha had better clean that up before the upcoming game against Punahou. I mean, Kamehameha may have a good punter, but if he's not being protected, he can't get the kick off.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:08 am
unpaid wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:07 am Checked out the stats on Scoringlive. St.Louis passed for 344 yards and outgained Kamehameha in total offense. Warriors had the better ground game,kicking game,and the defense bent but didn’t break.
St. Louis's turnovers and penalties also contributed to them outgaining Kamehameha but scoring less points. I think SLS committed at least four turnovers.

The bottom line is we'll need an improved running game or as dominant a game from our air attack as we did the first time we played KSK. Another key for our defense is to make KSK go deep.
@gopunahou: OK; the question is: Does Punahou have a decent RB? Punahou didn't seem to have much of a run game against St Louis. As for Punahou airing it out against Kamehameha, I think Kamehameha's secondary improved significantly since the first meeting. Finally, you can't make Kamehameha go deep if you can't stop their run.

bandits1
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by bandits1 »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:30 pm@unpaid: I don't know; I think St Louis is a little better than Kamehameha, even though they lost. I mean, they lost by only two points. The biggest reason I think St Louis is a little better is that had much more yardage than Kamehameha: 425 to 239. St Louis' pass O, in particular, is formidable. I like Kamehameha Schools, and I don't like St Louis School. Still, I would go St Louis #1, Kamehameha #2.
And yes, Kamehameha has a very good run game, and perhaps the best RB in the state: Sio Bartley. Also, their pass game seems to be fairly decent, which is shocking.
Kam beat St. Louis head-to-head, fair-and-square. Kam has a better record than St. Louis because of that win. In what universe does St. Louis deserve to be ranked above Kam in a weekly ranking? unpaid updates these rankings every single week, so if at some point in the future St. Louis actually earns the right to be ranked above Kam again -- and that would require beating Kam in their next meeting and/or having a better W/L record -- then we can discuss. But for the next week at least, Kam absolutely 100% deserves to be ranked above St. Louis.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

TheNewNORM wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:34 am Watching Ah Yat in the Punahou game and you know he has moxie. Not only but that, hes the son of Bryan Ah Yat, qb guru. But of course Barkley was the key. When was the last time a rb went over 100 yds against StL? Great coaching by Maafala. The biggest thing was Kamehameha never hung their heads. They knew they could hang with StL.
On the other side, StL. d line got exposed and the line of quick thinking StL QBs has ended.
@TheNewNORM: Yeah, I'm almost tempted to say that Ah Yat is indeed a decent QB. It's been so long that Kamehameha has had one, you know? As for Bartley, yes: Without a doubt, he's a gamer. Big, strong, and difficult to bring down. But, I think you're onto something: Perhaps St Louis' D-line isn't quite as good as those of the past 20 years or so. Or, is it that Kamehameha's O-line is outstanding? I think at least two of Kamehameha's O-linemen are really good, but are the rest just thick? Looking at some of their O-linemen, I mean, they look fat and slow. (When I say, "fat", I don't mean that as an insult; you'd rather have fat O-linemen than small ones.) I mean, it's not just about being big, right? You need good footwork, nimbleness, good balance, etc.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

bandits1 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:59 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:30 pm@unpaid: I don't know; I think St Louis is a little better than Kamehameha, even though they lost. I mean, they lost by only two points. The biggest reason I think St Louis is a little better is that had much more yardage than Kamehameha: 425 to 239. St Louis' pass O, in particular, is formidable. I like Kamehameha Schools, and I don't like St Louis School. Still, I would go St Louis #1, Kamehameha #2.
And yes, Kamehameha has a very good run game, and perhaps the best RB in the state: Sio Bartley. Also, their pass game seems to be fairly decent, which is shocking.
Kam beat St. Louis head-to-head, fair-and-square. Kam has a better record than St. Louis because of that win. In what universe does St. Louis deserve to be ranked above Kam in a weekly ranking? unpaid updates these rankings every single week, so if at some point in the future St. Louis actually earns the right to be ranked above Kam again -- and that would require beating Kam in their next meeting and/or having a better W/L record -- then we can discuss. But for the next week at least, Kam absolutely 100% deserves to be ranked above St. Louis.
@bandits1: Yes, Kamehameha did beat St Louis. It's just that I have a hunch that St Louis is still the better team. The reason I say that is the disparity in yards gained: St Louis had 425, while Kamehameha had 239. I just don't know how many times Kamehameha can beat St Louis with only 239 yards; not when St Louis is cranking 400+. I mean, I don't want St Louis to be the better team; I'd rather have Kamehameha Schools than St Louis School. OK; I guess Kamehameha does deserve to be ranked #1, unless and until they lose. And yes, Kamehameha did win, fair and square. It wasn't my intention to slight or cheat Kamehameha; I just have doubts about whether they really are better than St Louis.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

ChadFukuoka wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:02 pm
TheNewNORM wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:34 am Watching Ah Yat in the Punahou game and you know he has moxie. Not only but that, hes the son of Bryan Ah Yat, qb guru. But of course Barkley was the key. When was the last time a rb went over 100 yds against StL? Great coaching by Maafala. The biggest thing was Kamehameha never hung their heads. They knew they could hang with StL.
On the other side, StL. d line got exposed and the line of quick thinking StL QBs has ended.
St Louis’ offensive line also struggled. Kamehameha got lots of pressure on Bianco. Usually, their offensive line is a strength, since their passing game is always strong. It looks like Kamehameha has really improved at QB. That has been a weak point for them in recent years.
@ChadFukuoka: Well, actually, I think St Louis is usually better-known for their D-line, I think. I mean, we know that for at least two decades, St Louis has been famous for its QBs and receivers, but they can be only as good as the protection their O-line provides, right? But from what I had heard, this year their O-line is explicitly supposed to be their strength; I'm not sure that we can say it usually is. And for sure, I'd agree that Ah Yat is perhaps the best starting-QB Kamehameha has had in at least seven years. Better yet for them, their backup QB (Apao) seems pretty decent, too.

bandits1
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by bandits1 »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:03 pm@bandits1: Yes, Kamehameha did beat St Louis. It's just that I have a hunch that St Louis is still the better team. The reason I say that is the disparity in yards gained: St Louis had 425, while Kamehameha had 239. I just don't know how many times Kamehameha can beat St Louis with only 239 yards; not when St Louis is cranking 400+. I mean, I don't want St Louis to be the better team; I'd rather have Kamehameha Schools than St Louis School. OK; I guess Kamehameha does deserve to be ranked #1, unless and until they lose. And yes, Kamehameha did win, fair and square. It wasn't my intention to slight or cheat Kamehameha; I just have doubts about whether they really are better than St Louis.
The main point is that this is a weekly ranking. It's updated every weekend after all the games are done. So hunches, stats, numbers, who's "better" on paper and made up scenarios about who would win if they played a best-of-3 series or whatever don't matter one bit. All that stuff is interesting to talk about, sure, but it doesn't apply at all to weekly rankings. All that matters for the next 7 days is who won this game.

Now, if Kam ends up sweeping St. Louis 2-0 but gets swept by Punahou, and St. Louis sweeps Punahou, then we'll have something to talk about.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

bandits1 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:34 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:03 pm@bandits1: Yes, Kamehameha did beat St Louis. It's just that I have a hunch that St Louis is still the better team. The reason I say that is the disparity in yards gained: St Louis had 425, while Kamehameha had 239. I just don't know how many times Kamehameha can beat St Louis with only 239 yards; not when St Louis is cranking 400+. I mean, I don't want St Louis to be the better team; I'd rather have Kamehameha Schools than St Louis School. OK; I guess Kamehameha does deserve to be ranked #1, unless and until they lose. And yes, Kamehameha did win, fair and square. It wasn't my intention to slight or cheat Kamehameha; I just have doubts about whether they really are better than St Louis.
The main point is that this is a weekly ranking. It's updated every weekend after all the games are done. So hunches, stats, numbers, who's "better" on paper and made up scenarios about who would win if they played a best-of-3 series or whatever don't matter one bit. All that stuff is interesting to talk about, sure, but it doesn't apply at all to weekly rankings. All that matters for the next 7 days is who won this game.

Now, if Kam ends up sweeping St. Lous 2-0 but gets swept by Punahou, and St. Louis sweeps Punahou, then we'll have something to talk about.
@bandits1: OK; fair. I'm glad Kamehameha is #1 this week, as I like that school. If all three ILH Open Schools end-up tied when regular-season play is done, my guess is that the three schools will pick numbers out of a hat. One lucky school will get to await the winner of the game between the two other schools. I think this happened a few years back. And, because the State tourney won't start until December, ILH Open will have about a month to carry-out this procedure that decides the champ, if all three schools end-up with equal records after regular-season play. Of course, what makes that especially crucial is that only one ILH Open school goes on to States. For the other two schools, the season is over.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:49 pm

Now, if Kam ends up sweeping St. Lous 2-0 but gets swept by Punahou, and St. Louis sweeps Punahou, then we'll have something to talk about.
@bandits1: OK; fair. I'm glad Kamehameha is #1 this week, as I like that school. If all three ILH Open Schools end-up tied when regular-season play is done, my guess is that the three schools will pick numbers out of a hat. One lucky school will get to await the winner of the game between the two other schools. I think this happened a few years back. And, because the State tourney won't start until December, ILH Open will have about a month to carry-out this procedure that decides the champ, if all three schools end-up with equal records after regular-season play. Of course, what makes that especially crucial is that only one ILH Open school goes on to States. For the other two schools, the season is over.
They should draw numbers to decide their seeding, and then play a 3 team playoff. 2 vs 3, with the winner playing the 1 seed for the state berth. I think the ILH has had tiebreaker games in the past, so it wouldn’t be too unusual for them. This year, teams are playing a shorter schedule, so the extra games shouldn’t be asking too much, if this 3 way tie did happen.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@ChadFukuoka: Yes, that's what I said in that post. What sucks, I think, is that one school ends-up lucky enough to automatically land a spot in the championship game. I don't know exactly how it works, but I think it works something like this: Suppose there are three small pieces of paper that are folded-up and put into a hat or whatever. On two of those papers, the word, "play" is written. On the third paper, the wore, "bye" is written. Suppose Punahou happens to pull the "bye" paper, by sheer chance. Then that school can just sit back while the other two schools play each other. I think it sucks that, by sheer luck, Punahou (or whichever school picks the "bye" paper) is assured a spot in the championship game. Meanwhile, Kamehameha and St Louis have to play each other, and the loser's season is done. Suppose Kamehameha loses. Their season is done, while Punahou's season continues without that school even having played. In that scenario, I think Kamehameha will have been ripped-off.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:11 pm @ChadFukuoka: Yes, that's what I said in that post. What sucks, I think, is that one school ends-up lucky enough to automatically land a spot in the championship game. I don't know exactly how it works, but I think it works something like this: Suppose there are three small pieces of paper that are folded-up and put into a hat or whatever. On two of those papers, the word, "play" is written. On the third paper, the wore, "bye" is written. Suppose Punahou happens to pull the "bye" paper, by sheer chance. Then that school can just sit back while the other two schools play each other. I think it sucks that, by sheer luck, Punahou (or whichever school picks the "bye" paper) is assured a spot in the championship game. Meanwhile, Kamehameha and St Louis have to play each other, and the loser's season is done. Suppose Kamehameha loses. Their season is done, while Punahou's season continues without that school even having played. In that scenario, I think Kamehameha will have been ripped-off.
For some reason, only the first two sentences of your last post appeared to show up when I made the reply. Sorry about that. I thought you were suggesting a random drawing of lots for all 3 teams, with the lucky winner taking the state berth. I’d rather have a drawing of names, than a statistical tiebreaker like point differential. To me, if all the teams have the same record, and naturally the same head to head record, they are all equal. Winning by more points in one game doesn’t necessarily make you superior.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Now, if Kam ends up sweeping St. Louis 2-0 but gets swept by Punahou, and St. Louis sweeps Punahou, then we'll have something to talk about.
Something like that happened the year we ended St. Louis's ILH streak. In 2005, we swept St. Louis but lost twice to Kamehameha, who was swept by St. Louis. The ILH needed a coinflip to decide the champion and had St. Louis and Kamehameha play while giving us a bye. St. Louis of course won a third game against Kamehameha but lost to us. We are the only school to have beaten St. Louis three times in a season. As you can tell, 2005 is a year I'll never forget. That's the year we made history.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

TheNewNORM
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by TheNewNORM »

unpaid wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:18 am Updated Top Ten,

1.Kamehameha 1-1 Beat St.Louis.
2.St.Louis 1-2 Lost to Kamehameha.
3.Kahuku 0-0 Resume practice.
4.Punahou 1-1 DNP.
5.Mililani 0-0 Resume practice.
6.Campbell 0-0 Resume practice.
7.Iolani 5-0 Beat Damien. Clinch a state D-I playoff berth.
8.Farrington 0-0 Resume practice.
9.Hilo 0-0 Resume practice.
10.Lahainaluna 0-0 Resume practice.

Resume practice...sounds good,doesn’t it?

Kamehameha seems to have a decent offense to go with their defense this year. Kudos to the Warriors.
Fair enough for the week. Kamehameha deserves the#1. Resumes Practice? Right. ILH earlier covid fiasco times x10 with public schools. Like a trainer and other staff, you need a covid coordinator on each team. Temp.checks, card checks, testing, quarantine on and on. But the DOE sucks so probably not. State/DOE solution? Right, shutdown. In this late start, cancel and reschedule games will be tight. A successful OIA season will look like a 6 game completion.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

ChadFukuoka wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:37 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:11 pm @ChadFukuoka: Yes, that's what I said in that post. What sucks, I think, is that one school ends-up lucky enough to automatically land a spot in the championship game. I don't know exactly how it works, but I think it works something like this: Suppose there are three small pieces of paper that are folded-up and put into a hat or whatever. On two of those papers, the word, "play" is written. On the third paper, the wore, "bye" is written. Suppose Punahou happens to pull the "bye" paper, by sheer chance. Then that school can just sit back while the other two schools play each other. I think it sucks that, by sheer luck, Punahou (or whichever school picks the "bye" paper) is assured a spot in the championship game. Meanwhile, Kamehameha and St Louis have to play each other, and the loser's season is done. Suppose Kamehameha loses. Their season is done, while Punahou's season continues without that school even having played. In that scenario, I think Kamehameha will have been ripped-off.
For some reason, only the first two sentences of your last post appeared to show up when I made the reply. Sorry about that. I thought you were suggesting a random drawing of lots for all 3 teams, with the lucky winner taking the state berth. I’d rather have a drawing of names, than a statistical tiebreaker like point differential. To me, if all the teams have the same record, and naturally the same head to head record, they are all equal. Winning by more points in one game doesn’t necessarily make you superior.
@ChadFukuoka:
No, that's the thing: I suspect that it is random. I don't think there's any seeding process. I suspect the three schools simply draw lots (or, those pieces of paper), and one of the three schools draws a bye, by sheer luck. And for years, leagues have discouraged going by point differential because that only encourages schools to run-up the score, which is uncool.