2019 High School Football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
genks
Starter
Starter

Re: 2019 High School Football

Post by genks »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:06 pm
genks wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:09 am After watching St Louis vs Kahuku, I’d imagine Punahou feeling better about that match up. They probably have better corners than us. They can stuff the line and dare Kahuku to throw, leaving their corners on islands. Even on wide open throws there’s a chance Adolpho will throw it at their feet or way over their head. When Kahuku lined up 5 wide, that was the coffin nails. They just trying whatever. Punahou’s secondary has been really good.

I cannot wait for the Crusaders to face off against Punahou. That is our biggest game of the season. Only one of us can go to states, and in my opinion, until I’m proven wrong, Punahou is the clear #2 in the state. Their defense has been lights out. they have the best QB after Jayden and I don’t think it’s really that close if you compare with Hippa, Agbayani, Adolpho etc. Plus, if we can pull it off, beating Punahou is always satisfying
@genks: I'm still thinking (and wishing and hoping) that Mililani is better than Punahou. OK, Punahou is a pass-oriented school, but they do run the ball, too. Kamehameha could not run on Mililani; Kamehameha has a very decent O-line. So, something tells me Punahou won't be able to run on Mililani. Mililani also is better at FGs than Punahou. Given that fact in particular, I'm hoping Mililani can squeak past Punahou by 3. Sam played against Kamehameha; hope he's even more healthy against Punahou. If Sam is healthy, he's better than Punahou's RB.

I get that Kahuku is less likely to beat Punahou than Mililani is. Is Punahou's defensive front-seven that good? Kahuku has a big O-line, big blocking-backs, and a big RB. Can Punahou stuff them?

Finally, I'm pulling big-time for St Louis to beat Punahou. Watching the St Louis v Kahuku game, I'm having some concerns about St Louis' O. Seems that Kahuku was shutting them down at certain points, despite the final score. I'm not worried about St Louis' D, but I am worried about their O against Punahou. How is St Louis' run game? Do they have one? Sam is playing for Mililani; who does St Louis have at RB? How is St Louis' O-line at run-blocking? St Louis just might have to have a run game against Punahou, keep their D guessing. If Punahou's CBs are that good, it would be nice if St Louis had a run game. Still, St Louis' pass game needs to be clicking on all cylinders.

I'm not a St Louis fan, but when they play Punahou, I become one, believe you me.

Go Saints.
Lol well welcome aboard the Crusader War Wagon, even if your stay is a short one.

Jayden did a ton of scrambling against Kahuku but we already know they will send a ton of heat. The receivers were doing their job and put up 28 points, burned corners, broke tackles, made great catches. I know Puns will blitz but I don’t expect quite so much heat from them all the time, they will blanket the field in coverage and look for picks

I’m not sure name wise who Punahou has up front but they are never bad. I’m sure they aren’t as small as Campbell is either. I’m pretty sure they will do what we did and pack the box, force them to pass. All it takes is 14-0 and now Kahuku is forced to throw more than they want to.

Punahou vs Mililani, it’s hard to overcome playing against a better qb. Mililani DBs are good, so are Punahou. I think Coach Ane is the better coach, and Punahou will have the better game plan. I am willing to bet Agbayani throws 2 picks or more depending how much they pass. Throwing deep 50/50 like Agbayani and Hippa seem to love doing isn’t recommended against a defense that will be waiting for and praying for that. Running on Mililani is tough due to their strong LB corps but Puns can hit Terrell on a short swing pass and he can go and get 10+ yards.

St Louis vs Punahou, no mystery who I think and hope will win. Puns always come prepared, always have a great game plan, and always execute. I think Coach Cal is the best (biased obviously) and will have my boys ready to go. Last 2-3 years Puns haven’t had much success running on us, nor have we on them. The damage is done through the air. Puns have dropped 8 into coverage, while Crusaders will rush 5. One sigh of relief is Liufau is gone. But we don’t have Tui either. We also don’t have Feagans who had a ton of picks last year. Excellent match up!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

@genks: I'm not so sure that Ane is a better coach than York. Ane is much older, of course, but I still think York is just as good. I would rate them even. Therefore, I'm not so sure that Ane will have the better game plan; York is no slouch.
Speaking of good LBs, pretty hard to top St Louis' Botelho and Herbig. Generally I think of good LBs as LBs who stop the run, but it seems that Botelho and Herbig--especially Botelho--are pretty good pass-rushers, too. Botelho is going to have to have a big night against Punahou QB Sagapolutele. I mean, Botelho is going to have to make-up his mind that he's going to kick Sagapolutele's butt, and get into his head big-time.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:33 pm @genks: I'm not so sure that Ane is a better coach than York. Ane is much older, of course, but I still think York is just as good. I would rate them even. Therefore, I'm not so sure that Ane will have the better game plan; York is no slouch.
Speaking of good LBs, pretty hard to top St Louis' Botelho and Herbig. Generally I think of good LBs as LBs who stop the run, but it seems that Botelho and Herbig--especially Botelho--are pretty good pass-rushers, too. Botelho is going to have to have a big night against Punahou QB Sagapolutele. I mean, Botelho is going to have to make-up his mind that he's going to kick Sagapolutele's butt, and get into his head big-time.
York is definitely good. I think I’ve seen more surprises from Ane as far as strategy.

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

On paper, it looks like the Mililani Trojans are gonna be at a major size disadvantage (in addition to speed disadvantage) this coming Saturday against the St. John Bosco Braves (ranked #2 nationally by MaxPreps & #3 by USA Today).
https://www.maxpreps.com/news/3MG1Vb5LK ... erade-.htm
https://usatodayhss.com/rankings/expert ... all/2019/4
https://www.scorebooklive.com/football/ ... es/players
https://scoringlive.com/connect/fb_print.php?team=MIL

It'll be a monumental challenge for the Trojans. St. John Bosco blew away the same Liberty Patriot (Henderson, NV.) team 49-to-7 in Las Vegas that Mililani had beat 34-to-22 earlier in the season at John Kauinana Stadium.

Hopefully the expected heavy rains this Saturday help the Trojans to compete.... since the rainy weather would be something that the Braves wouldn't be used to playing in.....'cuz it almost "never rains in Southern California". I never bothered to own an umbrella in the 8+ years that I lived in SoCal.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

kapakahi wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:27 pm On paper, it looks like the Mililani Trojans are gonna be at a major size disadvantage (in addition to speed disadvantage) this coming Saturday against the St. John Bosco Braves (ranked #2 nationally by MaxPreps & #3 by USA Today).
https://www.maxpreps.com/news/3MG1Vb5LK ... erade-.htm
https://usatodayhss.com/rankings/expert ... all/2019/4
https://www.scorebooklive.com/football/ ... es/players
https://scoringlive.com/connect/fb_print.php?team=MIL

It'll be a monumental challenge for the Trojans. St. John Bosco blew away the same Liberty Patriot (Henderson, NV.) team 49-to-7 in Las Vegas that Mililani had beat 34-to-22 earlier in the season at John Kauinana Stadium.

Hopefully the expected heavy rains this Saturday help the Trojans to compete.... since the rainy weather would be something that the Braves wouldn't be used to playing in.....'cuz it almost "never rains in Southern California". I never bothered to own an umbrella in the 8+ years that I lived in SoCal.
For the past five or six years, Bosco has been the main rival of my favorite mainland team (Mater Dei—the Punahou of California and two-time defending NATIONAL champions). Some say Bosco might overtake them. And remember, Bosco BEAT them last year.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

St.John Bosco is loaded. 5-star QB, coupla 4-stars,and many 3-stars.... around 13 in all.Mililani has 5 3-stars. I hope Mililani makes it competitive , but this one could get ugly.

Good old HPW. Where else can a team lose and hold their spot?😆 I remember a few years ago Kapolei lost two in a row and was moved up. Go figure.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

genks, I've got question--do you view the post-Mariota and pre-Tua years (2011-2013) as I view Punahou's run between 1997 and 2004? We were a distance third between you guys and Kamehameha and only won one game between either of them during that stretch. It made me wonder how we ever were a powerhouse between 1993 and 1996 and if we ever could contend for ILH titles like that again. I need those years to come back as much as I need a kidney stone (although there is one guy that used to post here who hopes that those years would come back). At least you guys didn't lose to Iolani (although it almost happened in 2011). We had a LOSING record against them between 1997 and 2001.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

gopunahou wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:20 am genks, I've got question--do you view the post-Mariota and pre-Tua years (2011-2013) as I view Punahou's run between 1997 and 2004? We were a distance third between you guys and Kamehameha and only won one game between either of them during that stretch. It made me wonder how we ever were a powerhouse between 1993 and 1996 and if we ever could contend for ILH titles like that again. I need those years to come back as much as I need a kidney stone (although there is one guy that used to post here who hopes that those years would come back). At least you guys didn't lose to Iolani (although it almost happened in 2011). We had a LOSING record against them between 1997 and 2001.
If you mean wipe that part of history from memory, then yes lol. What sucks is blowing out the lesser schools but can’t win a meaningful game. No middle ground. We didn’t even trade wins and losses we just flat out couldn’t beat you guys. I did wonder if we could ever catch up. Being optimistic we would say well they can’t beat us forever, just like I’m sure people say that about us right now. But there was the fear of “we will win sooner or later....... right?”

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:20 am genks, I've got question--do you view the post-Mariota and pre-Tua years (2011-2013) as I view Punahou's run between 1997 and 2004? We were a distance third between you guys and Kamehameha and only won one game between either of them during that stretch. It made me wonder how we ever were a powerhouse between 1993 and 1996 and if we ever could contend for ILH titles like that again. I need those years to come back as much as I need a kidney stone (although there is one guy that used to post here who hopes that those years would come back). At least you guys didn't lose to Iolani (although it almost happened in 2011). We had a LOSING record against them between 1997 and 2001.
@gopunahou:
If I could butt-in here: Don't obsess about Punahou School's past, especially more than five years in the past. What happened to Punahou School's football team five or more years ago, has no bearing on them today. None of the players who were on the team five or more years ago, are on the team today. Worry about the Punahou School football team of today. If they don't get past St Louis School this year, they (literally) aren't going anywhere, even though genks has them at #2 in the state.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:42 am
If you mean wipe that part of history from memory, then yes lol. What sucks is blowing out the lesser schools but can’t win a meaningful game. No middle ground. We didn’t even trade wins and losses we just flat out couldn’t beat you guys. I did wonder if we could ever catch up. Being optimistic we would say well they can’t beat us forever, just like I’m sure people say that about us right now. But there was the fear of “we will win sooner or later....... right?”
@genks: I don't know. St Louis and Punahou have been having very good teams for the past five years or so. There are other schools on the island that seem to have been losing forever. Taking ILH Open, look at Kamehameha. They used to dominate in the mid- to late-'70s, and they won the D1 State title 10 years ago. They've gone nowhere since. Kamehameha alumni are probably saying the same thing you posted: "We will win sooner or later, right?" Makes you wonder if Kamehameha ever will. By "win," I mean win ILH Open, not just another game. With St Louis and Punahou in their division, Kamehameha might forever be on the outside looking in.

rrforlifebaby
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by rrforlifebaby »

Mark my words, Big Red will take down the Puns. The Puns Rb is a definite threat, and will more than likely get yards and get a td, but Big Red is improving every week. Absolutely Big Red got pounded by St Louis, but so did Bishop Gorman; I think we can honestly say that the score was much closer than it should've been. But Big Red did show flashes in all 3 phases that has fans excited to see what happens if it all comes together. BIG IF, but we'll see. Do Not sleep on this Red Raider team. Puns will find out the hard way how Big Red is continuing to improve.
RRFL!!

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

I think Kahuku fans right now feel the way you guys did. But our 2003 team's performance (even though we finished 3rd that year) gave me hope that we could take the next step and contend. In 2003, we almost beat St. Louis in the 2nd game (we lead you guys for most of the game) and DID beat Kamehameha, something we hadn't done in seven years. Speaking of Kamehameha, as of late I've felt the way their fans felt between 1997 and 2004. And they've gotta feel the way you guys felt between 2011 and 2013.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

rrforlifebaby wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:21 pm Mark my words, Big Red will take down the Puns. The Puns Rb is a definite threat, and will more than likely get yards and get a td, but Big Red is improving every week. Absolutely Big Red got pounded by St Louis, but so did Bishop Gorman; I think we can honestly say that the score was much closer than it should've been. But Big Red did show flashes in all 3 phases that has fans excited to see what happens if it all comes together. BIG IF, but we'll see. Do Not sleep on this Red Raider team. Puns will find out the hard way how Big Red is continuing to improve.
RRFL!!
@rrforlifebaby: YES! GO RED RAIDERS! I'm excited; this is the FIRST time someone posted that he's pretty confident that Kahuku will beat Punahou. Up 'til now I've had my doubts, not so much because Kahuku sucks, but because Punahou can pass AND run AND has a good D. Kahuku simply can't throw the ball as well as Punahou, but Kahuku can run, and has a good D. genks really plays-up Punahou's D, and he might very well be right. But, I also know that Kahuku has a big and physical O; the only player on O who isn't big and physical is the QB. So, I would like Kahuku's O to show Punahou's D what physical is all about. I would like Kahuku's O-line and blocking-backs to pound Punahou's defensive front-seven; I really do. genks thinks Punahou will pass Kahuku silly; throw the ball all over them. If that happens, Punahou QB Sagapolutele has to pay. I don't know how good Kahuku's DEs and LBs are, but I hope they will be able to make Sagapolutele pay. Sagapolutele needs to be made to see that there will be a price that will have to be paid.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:12 pm
I think Kahuku fans right now feel the way you guys did. But our 2003 team's performance (even though we finished 3rd that year) gave me hope that we could take the next step and contend. In 2003, we almost beat St. Louis in the 2nd game (we lead you guys for most of the game) and DID beat Kamehameha, something we hadn't done in seven years. Speaking of Kamehameha, as of late I've felt the way their fans felt between 1997 and 2004. And they've gotta feel the way you guys felt between 2011 and 2013.
@gopunahou: I don't know why Kamehameha would have any fans anymore. Kamehameha's O is so bad, and look at how they screwed-up against Mililani during the last minute of the game. They're down 27-0, and they're on Mililani's 1-yd line. Guarantee they'll score, right? After all, Kamehameha has a big O-line. So what happened? Kamehameha's C or QB--I don't know which--botches the exchange. Ball drops to the ground, Mililani DB picks it up and goes 99 yards the other way for a TD. Final score: 34-0. You gotta feel sorry for everyone on the O-line except the C. You also gotta feel sorry for Kamehameha fans. I don't see any reason to be a Kamehameha fan now; I really don't. Kamehameha's football team is so snakebit, it ain't funny. You can't expect any fan to take that kind of punishment and keep coming back for more.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:29 pm
rrforlifebaby wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:21 pm Mark my words, Big Red will take down the Puns. The Puns Rb is a definite threat, and will more than likely get yards and get a td, but Big Red is improving every week. Absolutely Big Red got pounded by St Louis, but so did Bishop Gorman; I think we can honestly say that the score was much closer than it should've been. But Big Red did show flashes in all 3 phases that has fans excited to see what happens if it all comes together. BIG IF, but we'll see. Do Not sleep on this Red Raider team. Puns will find out the hard way how Big Red is continuing to improve.
RRFL!!
@rrforlifebaby: YES! GO RED RAIDERS! I'm excited; this is the FIRST time someone posted that he's pretty confident that Kahuku will beat Punahou. Up 'til now I've had my doubts, not so much because Kahuku sucks, but because Punahou can pass AND run AND has a good D. Kahuku simply can't throw the ball as well as Punahou, but Kahuku can run, and has a good D. genks really plays-up Punahou's D, and he might very well be right. But, I also know that Kahuku has a big and physical O; the only player on O who isn't big and physical is the QB. So, I would like Kahuku's O to show Punahou's D what physical is all about. I would like Kahuku's O-line and blocking-backs to pound Punahou's defensive front-seven; I really do. genks thinks Punahou will pass Kahuku silly; throw the ball all over them. If that happens, Punahou QB Sagapolutele has to pay. I don't know how good Kahuku's DEs and LBs are, but I hope they will be able to make Sagapolutele pay. Sagapolutele needs to be made to see that there will be a price that will have to be paid.
I could be wrong lol.

Guarantee Kahuku will be sending heat, especially in the beginning of the game. They always do that anyway, but it’s very effective against young QBs. I’d suspect Punahou to be ready with quick passes, swing passes, screens etc. Key will be can Sagapolutele throw an accurate screen or quick pass with pressure in his face.

My opinion is Kahuku is pretty one dimensional this year. They do that one dimension well, which is good. (One dimensional isn’t a knock just observation. My team is one dimensional also) The bad part punts are inevitable when trying to establish the run early. If the defense can’t stop Puns offense, they start digging themselves a hole. Punahou is capable of quick strike scores, which can put them up early. That’s bad news if Puns are up 2 or more TDs and Kahuku is still trying to get the run going. 3rd and 15 could lead to a Puns TD while 3rd and 15 is likely is a punt or a pick for Kahuku, if they haven’t tried out the defense.

I’m not saying I think Punahou will light Kahuku up, but I do think they are the better team. Coaching advantage easily to Coach Ane. The beauty of it all is we actually get to see it. It will be a great game.