2018-2019 Boy's Basketball Thread

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
Mobbin
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Re: 2018-2019 Boy's Basketball Thread

Post by Mobbin »

bandits1 wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:57 pm ^^^I don't know nearly enough about the rules or traditions the HHSAA uses to select the MOP. If the MOP is always selected from the winning team then Wu was obviously the correct choice. If there's no written or unwritten understanding that they have to come from the winning team, then I'd agree that Obrey was the most consistently dominant player throughout the tourney. I don't know exactly what awards are given post-championship and I don't care, but IMO, MVP of the tourney goes to Obrey and MVP of the title game goes to Wu. Yes, Obrey impressively broke an all-time scoring record and jammed in every game despite defenses presumably being geared to stop her, but without Wu, Kam goes home with the koa trophy. She led her team to victory in the single most important game of the season and Obrey didn't. Winning the team championship counts for a lot.

And stop twisting my words around. Yes, Iolani 100% earned the victory. They played the team that has what seems to be the unanimous #1 player in the state who had dominant, record-breaking performances throughout, yet Iolani was the team with more points on the scoreboard when the clock hit 00:00. If you need to qualify what I said further by making up sh!t like "the Raiders were "100%" better than the Warriors" to ease your anger toward Iolani winning, go right ahead, but that's not what I said or meant. The two best teams in the state met head-to-head in the championship game and Iolani won fair-and-square. No "controversy", just a misunderstanding of the rules by a whole bunch of people who were pulling for Kam.

And BTW, they really, really need to put in a shot-clock in high school basketball. Make it 30 or even 35 seconds, but they gotta do it.
I have no dog in this fight either, but the better team won. Iolani played KSK four times this year and won three of those games. KSK lost to Lahainaluna, Kahuku, Maryknoll, Punahou, and Iolani (3x) this year. Iolani's only loss to a Hawaii team this year was to KSK on 12/7/18. Obrey may be the best individual player in Hawaii, but the right team went home with the chip.

@HS Football Fanatic: Why do you hate Iolani so much?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

Mobbin wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:52 am
bandits1 wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:57 pm ^^^I don't know nearly enough about the rules or traditions the HHSAA uses to select the MOP. If the MOP is always selected from the winning team then Wu was obviously the correct choice. If there's no written or unwritten understanding that they have to come from the winning team, then I'd agree that Obrey was the most consistently dominant player throughout the tourney. I don't know exactly what awards are given post-championship and I don't care, but IMO, MVP of the tourney goes to Obrey and MVP of the title game goes to Wu. Yes, Obrey impressively broke an all-time scoring record and jammed in every game despite defenses presumably being geared to stop her, but without Wu, Kam goes home with the koa trophy. She led her team to victory in the single most important game of the season and Obrey didn't. Winning the team championship counts for a lot.

And stop twisting my words around. Yes, Iolani 100% earned the victory. They played the team that has what seems to be the unanimous #1 player in the state who had dominant, record-breaking performances throughout, yet Iolani was the team with more points on the scoreboard when the clock hit 00:00. If you need to qualify what I said further by making up sh!t like "the Raiders were "100%" better than the Warriors" to ease your anger toward Iolani winning, go right ahead, but that's not what I said or meant. The two best teams in the state met head-to-head in the championship game and Iolani won fair-and-square. No "controversy", just a misunderstanding of the rules by a whole bunch of people who were pulling for Kam.

And BTW, they really, really need to put in a shot-clock in high school basketball. Make it 30 or even 35 seconds, but they gotta do it.
I have no dog in this fight either, but the better team won. Iolani played KSK four times this year and won three of those games. KSK lost to Lahainaluna, Kahuku, Maryknoll, Punahou, and Iolani (3x) this year. Iolani's only loss to a Hawaii team this year was to KSK on 12/7/18. Obrey may be the best individual player in Hawaii, but the right team went home with the chip.

@Mobbin: I don't hate them, but I do dislike them. This is why I dislike them: 1.) Academic elitism / academic conceit, and 2.) They win too many championships.
Those things get old real fast, and build resentment among students and alumni of other high schools.

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

I with bandit. Implement a shot clock and let the athletes run. Hawaii hs basketball is in the stone age.

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Naz »

Markeke wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:44 pm I with bandit. Implement a shot clock and let the athletes run. Hawaii hs basketball is in the stone age.
To install and mantain a shotclock is a lot of money. I've heard of repairs costing in the $10,000 range and there's like one person on O'ahu who is equipped to fix them if they should break. Not too many schools have that kind of gwap lying around.

bandits1
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by bandits1 »

Mobbin wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:52 am I have no dog in this fight either, but the better team won. Iolani played KSK four times this year and won three of those games. KSK lost to Lahainaluna, Kahuku, Maryknoll, Punahou, and Iolani (3x) this year. Iolani's only loss to a Hawaii team this year was to KSK on 12/7/18. Obrey may be the best individual player in Hawaii, but the right team went home with the chip.

All this, plus an article said Iolani was the #1 ranked team for nine straight weeks coming into the state tourney. I know HS Football Fanatic references top-10 rankings a lot, so it's surprising that a lot of people reacted to the Raiders winning as some kind of fluke or surprising in some way. I'd guess on a betting line they were probably favored by at least a home court advantage point-spread.
Naz wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:57 pm To install and mantain a shotclock is a lot of money. I've heard of repairs costing in the $10,000 range and there's like one person on O'ahu who is equipped to fix them if they should break. Not too many schools have that kind of gwap lying around.
You mean there's just a single person on-island who maintains UH's, Chaminade's and HPU's shot clocks? Must be a lucrative gig since he can charge them whatever he wants to with zero competition.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

bandits1 wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:39 pm
Mobbin wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:52 am I have no dog in this fight either, but the better team won. Iolani played KSK four times this year and won three of those games. KSK lost to Lahainaluna, Kahuku, Maryknoll, Punahou, and Iolani (3x) this year. Iolani's only loss to a Hawaii team this year was to KSK on 12/7/18. Obrey may be the best individual player in Hawaii, but the right team went home with the chip.

All this, plus an article said Iolani was the #1 ranked team for nine straight weeks coming into the state tourney. I know HS Football Fanatic references top-10 rankings a lot, so it's surprising that a lot of people reacted to the Raiders winning as some kind of fluke or surprising in some way. I'd guess on a betting line they were probably favored by at least a home court advantage point-spread.
Naz wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:57 pm To install and mantain a shotclock is a lot of money. I've heard of repairs costing in the $10,000 range and there's like one person on O'ahu who is equipped to fix them if they should break. Not too many schools have that kind of gwap lying around.
You mean there's just a single person on-island who maintains UH's, Chaminade's and HPU's shot clocks? Must be a lucrative gig since he can charge them whatever he wants to with zero competition.
@bandits1: No, I don't think it's that guys thought it was some kind of fluke that Iolani School won. I think it's that (some) guys were frustrated that they beat Kamehameha Schools by just a nanosecond. After all, it took a review before the refs declared the Raiders won. I mean, Obrey released her shot close enough before the expiration of the clock that I think one ref initially ruled her shot good. Sure, I suppose the Raiders were favored. I guess some guys were frustrated that the Warriors came that close to sending the game to OT, which might have resulted in a different outcome. Yeah, I'm one of those guys.

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Naz »

I saw this story recently on KHON2... https://www.khon2.com/sports/local-spor ... 1786886037

According to the report, he has MULTIPLE D1 offers. Am I living under a rock or did anyone hear anything about a D1 offering any kid in Hawai'i?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Naz wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:00 am I saw this story recently on KHON2... https://www.khon2.com/sports/local-spor ... 1786886037

According to the report, he has MULTIPLE D1 offers. Am I living under a rock or did anyone hear anything about a D1 offering any kid in Hawai'i?
@Naz: No, I hadn't, but now we know. Hey, if I recall correctly, this kid scored over 40 points one game this year, I forgot which school it was against. How many points did he have against Iolani School this past week? If he had that kind of output, St Francis School probably would have won. (They lost by only 5.) Of course, it didn't help that the Raiders were hot from the perimeter that game.

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Naz »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:12 pm
@Naz: No, I hadn't, but now we know. Hey, if I recall correctly, this kid scored over 40 points one game this year, I forgot which school it was against. How many points did he have against Iolani School this past week? If he had that kind of output, St Francis School probably would have won. (They lost by only 5.) Of course, it didn't help that the Raiders were hot from the perimeter that game.
When a legit offer is made to a player for division one it is always highly publicized. This is especially true when the sport is basketball because of how so few local players go D1. They're saying he has multiple?? I searched Google for even one article or anything... Nothing. I went to verbalcommits.com and searched the kid's name ... His name isn't even listed.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Naz wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:41 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:12 pm
When a legit offer is made to a player for division one it is always highly publicized. This is especially true when the sport is basketball because of how so few local players go D1. They're saying he has multiple?? I searched Google for even one article or anything... Nothing. I went to verbalcommits.com and searched the kid's name ... His name isn't even listed.
@Naz: Something's fishy.

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Naz »

Let's get some bracket predictions going:

(Semis)
I got Maryknoll over Kailua
Punahou over Iolani

(Finals)
Maryknoll over Punahou

Man, that doesn't seem like it's going to be an eventful tourney this year.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Naz wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:20 pm Let's get some bracket predictions going:

(Semis)
I got Maryknoll over Kailua
Punahou over Iolani

(Finals)
Maryknoll over Punahou

Man, that doesn't seem like it's going to be an eventful tourney this year.
@Naz: I can live with Maryknoll taking it, but I'd prefer Kailua. And, where's Moanalua? Moanalua beat Kailua for the OIA. Anyway, of the four schools you posted, I hope Kailua takes it.

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Naz »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:45 pm
@Naz: I can live with Maryknoll taking it, but I'd prefer Kailua. And, where's Moanalua? Moanalua beat Kailua for the OIA. Anyway, of the four schools you posted, I hope Kailua takes it.
Have you seen where Moanalua got placed in the bracket? Moanalua most likely would have to play all three ILH seeds to win the tournament. That is why people are laughing at how Kailua lost the OIA title game but got a better placement in the bracket than Moanalua. Kailua smacked Kalaheo yesterday as expected and will play Waiakea in the quarter-finals while Moanalua will play Iolani. That is comical. So, I'm sorry but in this case Moanalua has no chance.

I give Kailua no chance either. The power shift has gone back to the ILH. I especially could care less for Kailua after seeing that stupid "lick their fingers and straighten their eyebrows" thing the Kailua kids have been doing in front of the camera during the OIA tournament. Too cocky for my taste.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Naz wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:08 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:45 pm
Have you seen where Moanalua got placed in the bracket? Moanalua most likely would have to play all three ILH seeds to win the tournament. That is why people are laughing at how Kailua lost the OIA title game but got a better placement in the bracket than Moanalua. Kailua smacked Kalaheo yesterday as expected and will play Waiakea in the quarter-finals while Moanalua will play Iolani. That is comical. So, I'm sorry but in this case Moanalua has no chance.

I give Kailua no chance either. The power shift has gone back to the ILH. I especially could care less for Kailua after seeing that stupid "lick their fingers and straighten their eyebrows" thing the Kailua kids have been doing in front of the camera during the OIA tournament. Too cocky for my taste.
@Naz: What a rip-off for Moanalua. Who are the idiots who create the match-ups? Moanalua alumni must be pissed. And about Kailua doing that crap on-camera: Shame on them. Having said that, I still would prefer to see Kailua win it all. So, despite clobbering Kalaheo, Kailua still isn't good enough to pose a legit threat? I mean, I guess I'd be OK seeing Maryknoll taking it, but I still prefer Kailua.

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Naz »

Now I've heard it all! I'm watching the Moanalua-Iolani game and the announcer said that Wichita State offered Moanalua's point guard, G. Robinson.... WICHITA STATE. I went to verbalcommits. Nothing. Kid isn't even listed. I don't get why parents have to lie for their kids nowadays about fake offers. Why would a major school like WICHITA STATE be looking for an undersized pg who shoots barely 55% free throws, turns the ball over more than he has assists, and is not even the best guard in the state? I call 100% bullcrap. We all know who started that rumor.