unpaid D-I football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
genks
Starter
Starter

Re: unpaid D-I football

Post by genks »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:43 pm
genks wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:09 pm
rrforlifebaby wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:34 am I agree, get rid of the OIA #3 and put in the ILH #2.
OR, go back to the Prep Bowl format:
OIA #1 vs ILH #1 for the Title
OIA #2 vs ILH # for 3rd and 4th place.

Give the OIA teams an opportunity to either keep the "pre-season" cross division game, or schedule an additional out of state opponent.

Good luck to all the teams!

RRFL!!!
I like the preseason non league games. My hope for a season (St Louis) would be preseason non league OIA game, and 2 mainland teams. Also STL playing Baldwin preseason was maybe not the best idea. We’ve played Mililani 2015-2016 and this year was Waianae and Baldwin. I’d like to keep mixing it up. Anything to add variety to the usual ILH D1 schedule.
@genks: Almost every year recently, St Louis has played Baldwin in preseason. My guess is that it's because Baldwin's HC, Pohai Lee, is St Louis HC Cal Lee's nephew. Also, Pohai is a St Louis alumnus, and played for Cal Lee back in the mid-'80s.
Yeah it’s not competitive tho, and I don’t mean that disrespectfully. I guess it gives Coach Cal a chance to see how everyone looks but it doesn’t really prepare them for anything. I’d like to see them play Kapolei or even Farrington. Yea I think those would be blow outs but at least they are closer in size, and physical teams.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

genks wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:55 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:43 pm
genks wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:09 pm

I like the preseason non league games. My hope for a season (St Louis) would be preseason non league OIA game, and 2 mainland teams. Also STL playing Baldwin preseason was maybe not the best idea. We’ve played Mililani 2015-2016 and this year was Waianae and Baldwin. I’d like to keep mixing it up. Anything to add variety to the usual ILH D1 schedule.
@genks: Almost every year recently, St Louis has played Baldwin in preseason. My guess is that it's because Baldwin's HC, Pohai Lee, is St Louis HC Cal Lee's nephew. Also, Pohai is a St Louis alumnus, and played for Cal Lee back in the mid-'80s.
Yeah it’s not competitive tho, and I don’t mean that disrespectfully. I guess it gives Coach Cal a chance to see how everyone looks but it doesn’t really prepare them for anything. I’d like to see them play Kapolei or even Farrington. Yea I think those would be blow outs but at least they are closer in size, and physical teams.
@genks: You're right. Aside from the family/school connection, it doesn't make sense for Baldwin and St Louis to play each other, unless they happen to meet in States.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

Well it’s official, the Crusaders will play both Mililani and Kahuku. I knew there would be no way the OIA would allow STL to play the Waianae/Campbell winner. They wouldn’t even agree to another tournament with 2 ILH teams. Let’s get it Crusaders!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:17 pm Well it’s official, the Crusaders will play both Mililani and Kahuku. I knew there would be no way the OIA would allow STL to play the Waianae/Campbell winner. They wouldn’t even agree to another tournament with 2 ILH teams. Let’s get it Crusaders!
@genks: Mililani and Kahuku are just as big and physical as St Louis. If St Louis has to play them back-to-back, that could take a physical toll on St Louis. I would assume that St Louis will play Mililani first. Markeke said he thinks Mililani's D isn't as good as Kapolei's. If he's right, that would be a good thing for St Louis' O.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:33 pm
genks wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:17 pm Well it’s official, the Crusaders will play both Mililani and Kahuku. I knew there would be no way the OIA would allow STL to play the Waianae/Campbell winner. They wouldn’t even agree to another tournament with 2 ILH teams. Let’s get it Crusaders!
@genks: Mililani and Kahuku are just as big and physical as St Louis. If St Louis has to play them back-to-back, that could take a physical toll on St Louis. I would assume that St Louis will play Mililani first. Markeke said he thinks Mililani's D isn't as good as Kapolei's. If he's right, that would be a good thing for St Louis' O.
Yes that is the challenge. I’m not sure how much I agree with Kapolei’s defense being better. I think Kapolei has better players but as it’s been the last 2 years the wheels fall off sooner or later. Mililani may not have as many names on defense as Kapolei but they probably put it together better.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

genks, good thing you haven't encountered any pro-OIA posters who blame the ILH (especially my school and yours) for everything that's doodoo in their lives. Most of them post on HPW.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

gopunahou wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:11 pm genks, good thing you haven't encountered any pro-OIA posters who blame the ILH (especially my school and yours) for everything that's doodoo in their lives. Most of them post on HPW.
Holy poop yeah that’s why I avoid posting there. It gets so crazy. Ive read some of the comments there and it’s just sad.

westside.gee
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by westside.gee »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:33 pm @genks: Mililani and Kahuku are just as big and physical as St Louis. If St Louis has to play them back-to-back, that could take a physical toll on St Louis. I would assume that St Louis will play Mililani first. Markeke said he thinks Mililani's D isn't as good as Kapolei's. If he's right, that would be a good thing for St Louis' O.
St. Louis plays Kamehameha and Punahou back-to-back every year so im not sure why anyone would be worried for St. Louis, I think the OIA teams are the ones that are not used to ILH speed.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

westside.gee wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:37 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:33 pm @genks: Mililani and Kahuku are just as big and physical as St Louis. If St Louis has to play them back-to-back, that could take a physical toll on St Louis. I would assume that St Louis will play Mililani first. Markeke said he thinks Mililani's D isn't as good as Kapolei's. If he's right, that would be a good thing for St Louis' O.
St. Louis plays Kamehameha and Punahou back-to-back every year so im not sure why anyone would be worried for St. Louis, I think the OIA teams are the ones that are not used to ILH speed.
This season Punahou had some injury issues. Kam is a tough team but this year I’d say Mililani and Kahuku are tougher than Kam and Punahou. Both Kahuku and Mililani are very dangerous and very tough. Even against Kam for the ILH final I was confident but I always believe anyone can win on any given day. These teams are serious

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:11 pm genks, good thing you haven't encountered any pro-OIA posters who blame the ILH (especially my school and yours) for everything that's doodoo in their lives. Most of them post on HPW.
@gopunahou: Agree that public-school alumni shouldn't scapegoat private schools. There are very successful public-school alumni, and there are some public-school students who are better in academics than some private-school students.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:22 pm
Holy poop yeah that’s why I avoid posting there. It gets so crazy. Ive read some of the comments there and it’s just sad.
@genks: Does that message-board have mods?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:49 pm
westside.gee wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:37 pm
This season Punahou had some injury issues. Kam is a tough team but this year I’d say Mililani and Kahuku are tougher than Kam and Punahou. Both Kahuku and Mililani are very dangerous and very tough. Even against Kam for the ILH final I was confident but I always believe anyone can win on any given day. These teams are serious
@gopunahou: Well, that is, unless you're playing St Louis. If you're Punahou or Kamehameha, you almost certainly can't win on any given day (or night) you play them. Kahuku is a different story, though, and Mililani might have an outside chance of beating St Louis, though I'm rooting for St Louis against them.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:11 am
Not sure. It’s actually not so much a message board and more like leaving comments on an article. But people start replying to each other and arguing

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:49 am

Not sure. It’s actually not so much a message board and more like leaving comments on an article. But people start replying to each other and arguing
@genks: Thankfully, most dudes on this message-board are fairly polite and mellow; no one seems to be snapping or getting out-of-hand. If anyone gets excessively rude or aggressive, this message-board does have mods, and I'm sure they'd step-in. Sorry that I have to support Kahuku against St Louis, but I appreciate it that you aren't blasting me for it. Thanks for letting it ride. At least I'm supporting St Louis against Mililani.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:56 am
genks wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:49 am

@genks: Thankfully, most dudes on this message-board are fairly polite and mellow; no one seems to be snapping or getting out-of-hand. If anyone gets excessively rude or aggressive, this message-board does have mods, and I'm sure they'd step-in. Sorry that I have to support Kahuku against St Louis, but I appreciate it that you aren't blasting me for it. Thanks for letting it ride. At least I'm supporting St Louis against Mililani.
Yeah that’s what brought me to start posting. I used to just read the threads and everyone seems cool. We can disagree and still be cool.

I know you are a Kahuku guy and that’s cool. Just want to let you and everyone know, everyone is welcome in Crusader Nation, you’re all invited