Lelie - ESPN.com

Talk about sports like the NFL, MLB, NBA, NCAA, Fantasy, Boxing, MMA along with any other sports you follow.
hilorain
Starter
Starter
MLB: Cincinnati Reds
NFL: Oakland Raiders

Lelie - ESPN.com

Post by hilorain »

Lelie left out in the openposted: Sunday, April 30, 2006

Ashley Lelie might be learning that getting what you asked for might not be the best thing.
Lelie, who is entering the final year of his contract, asked Denver to trade him. The Broncos shopped him, but no one seemed to be interested. Even worse, the Broncos have moved on as if he isn't in their future plans. They traded a second-round choice to the Packers to acquire Javon Walker and they drafted two other receivers -- Brandon Marshall of Central Florida and Domenik Hixon of Akron. Hixon may be more of a return man, but Marshall is a 6-foot-5, 229-pound receiver.
Here's a little tidbit from John Clayton with ESPN.com

Macnut
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by Macnut »

Plummer comments on Lelie.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?i ... deoID=1190

I bet Shannahan holds a grudge and makes Lelie the # 3 WR. He will be delegated to the bottom.
No matter what, be happy you still got your health!

Macnut
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by Macnut »

Here's more....
Broncos' moves give Lelie emotion sickness
No. 3 receiver sounds off after Walker is acquired

Mike Shanahan maintained during draft weekend he would be shocked if Ashley Lelie wasn't part of the Denver Broncos this season, even after Pro Bowl receiver Javon Walker was acquired in a trade.
That big surprise is perhaps closer than the Broncos coach believes.

Lelie, who is sitting out the team's off-season conditioning program because of his desire to be traded to a team that would allow him to compete as the No. 1 receiver, has much different plans. They include him possibly staying away until deep into the regular season.

The fourth-year pro watched during draft weekend as his primary goal to compete for a No. 1 receiving job slipped further away.

The Broncos were asking for a second-round pick for Lelie but kept him.

Then, after acquiring Walker, the Broncos put the former Green Bay Packers player on the verge of a rich, six-year contract.

That has locked Lelie into what he now believes is an untenable position as the team's third receiver. Nothing more. Nothing less.

And given Lelie's belief in himself, it's something he can't stand for.

"I don't believe I'm a third wideout. I can't believe that. I'm not going to believe that until I physically prove that on the field evenly and fairly on the field," said Lelie, who Sunday made his first public comments of the off-season. "But now I don't have that chance here."

Lelie stressed it isn't about being afraid of competition. His beef is the playing field no longer is fair, given the multimillion-deal Walker is close to signing, one that could include as much as $10 million in guarantees.

If Walker were playing out the final year of his contract, which he would have if a new contract had not been negotiated after the Broncos obtained him Saturday for a second-round pick, Lelie said he would feel he was getting a fairer shake.

But that's not the case.

"He's got all this money up front and got a big contract, and you really think they gave him all that just to put him on the bench?" Lelie said.

Lelie compared it to bringing in Champ Bailey last year and telling the other cornerbacks his job was up for grabs.

"I'm the No. 3 receiver, no matter what they say about coming in to compete," he said.

Lelie, the Broncos' first-round pick in 2002, still wants to be traded and given the chance to prove he can be a No. 1 receiver. But he also doubts a move will be made with the draft completed.

"If I have to sit out this whole year and become a free agent next year, then sign a one-year deal to prove myself to somebody else to be a No. 1, I will," he said, knowing he has to report by Week 10 to gain free agency.

Asked how the situation ultimately will play out, Lelie remained unsure but said he was "prepared for the worst, and the worst is me sitting out the whole year."

Lelie has been working out in Phoenix, alongside Walker.

Shanahan's media availability ended before Lelie made his comments, and general manager Ted

Sundquist did not return a call.

The Broncos gave Lelie's agent permission to find a suitable trade partner, and it has been reported to Lelie - though he said he couldn't confirm the story - that the team turned down a third-round offer last weekend.

And while the Broncos were "fair" for letting his agent shop, it's Lelie's contention that sticking to a second-round choice "if they knew I was going to be a third receiver anyway" wasn't on the up-and-up.

Worse, with Walker still recovering from a torn right anterior cruciate ligament, Lelie envisions a scenario in which he is with the starters during training camp only for the Broncos to hold a spot for Walker until he's completely ready to resume full training-camp activity.

That thought only made him stew more.

Another factor in Lelie going public is he believes that acquiring Walker is a sign of no confidence.

"To go out and shop and get another big-time receiver, it pushes all the blame on me, that I'm the one not producing, and that it's not the offense and system," he said.

Lelie has been one of the league's premier deep threats for the past two seasons but often has drawn criticism for his lack of consistent involvement in the offense. But Lelie, who caught 42 passes for 770 yards last season, sees the run-oriented scheme and the inconsistent number of times he has been a target as a factor in keeping his statistics down just as much as his play.

It's why he asked for the opportunity to prove himself as a No. 1 receiver in the first place.

"It's the way they run the offense. I know that and the Broncos know that," he said. "They know that's why my numbers aren't gaudy like a lot of other receivers and why I don't have 12 or 14 touchdowns."

Lelie has had only one season with more than two touchdowns (seven in 2004) and has 12 in his career. And it's doubtful NFL personnel executives are basing his performance solely on numbers.

But former Broncos offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak, now coach of the Houston Texans, said in February that Lelie probably has a 100-catch season in him sometime during his career.

Lelie wanted to make it clear his issues have nothing to do with money, only opportunity.

"I'm not going to be the best receiver that ever played as somebody's backup or sitting on the bench," he said, stating his mind-set since he walked on at the University of Hawaii. "I'd rather go out and compete and lose out fairly then lose out this way."

rasizerl@RockyMountainNews.com
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drm...663949,00.html

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Colorado Rockies
NBA: Denver Nuggets
NFL: Buffalo Bills

Post by wyokie »

I have only one thought on the Jevon Walker to Denver trade:

I'm convinced that the ONLY reason why Walker was sent OUT of Green Bay was to appease Brett Farve into coming back for the 2006 season. Had Farve retired, Walker would STILL be a Packer!

As for Lelie, I appaud him for doing what's right for himself.

PCBoy
All-conference
All-conference
NBA: Miami Heat
NFL: Denver Broncos

Post by PCBoy »

Just swollow your pride and play. It's not like hes a TO type of player where he can sit out a year and every team will want him badly. They couldn't even get a third round pick for him!

lou909
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by lou909 »

PCBoy wrote:Just swollow your pride and play. It's not like hes a TO type of player where he can sit out a year and every team will want him badly. They couldn't even get a third round pick for him!

100% agree.... what Lelie looks like by doing this is a cry baby...... just because we got walker doesn't necessarily mean that lelie is dropped to #3.... if Lelie is convinced that he has what it takes to be a #1 guy than he shouldn't be worried about the signing of walker... he should just go to camp and prove to the coaches that he deserves the #2 or maybe even the #1 spot...by the way the #1 will never ever go to anyone other than Rod.. unless he gets seriously hurt or retires...... someone should tell Lelie that no one wanted to acquire him because he hasn't proven squat in the league yet.... yeah he is doing what's right for himself but he's not doing what's right for his career (contract year).... again he needs to show up in camp and stop acting like a freaking cry baby... and prove the coaches that they didn't need to trade for walker......and plus now that we got cutler we finally have someone who can throw the deep ball so that's even more of a plus for him to come back.... BYE BYE JAKE!!! \:D/

Kona17
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by Kona17 »

Even though I disagree with those that say Ash is being a cry baby. I do belive it is in his best intrests to come out and play. It will show something about his charecter and if Smith or Walker get injured he could be back in the starting lineup and get a chance to prove somthing before he becomes a free agent. My advice to ASH use the anger and play with a chip on your shoulder

Macnut
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by Macnut »

Kona17 wrote:Even though I disagree with those that say Ash is being a cry baby. I do belive it is in his best intrests to come out and play. It will show something about his charecter and if Smith or Walker get injured he could be back in the starting lineup and get a chance to prove somthing before he becomes a free agent. My advice to ASH use the anger and play with a chip on your shoulder
I agree. Play pissed and prove it on the field.

eyelandboy
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by eyelandboy »

KITV had a story tonight on Ashley. Rob Demello interviewed Lelie and Ashley says he doesn't think he'll play for the broncos again, and demanded a trade. Part of me feels for Ashley and hopes he gets shipped out, but it's the final year of his contract. why not play it out and play the market? Hope everything works out for him.

Sportsbow
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Sportsbow »

Lelie says he's likely done with Broncos.

LINK: http://starbulletin.com/breaking/breaking.php?id=4428
Posted on: Monday, May 1, 2006 6:32 PM HST
Lelie says he's likely done with Broncos
Former UH and Radford standout asks again for a trade
Dave Reardon
dreardon@starbulletin.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wide receiver Ashley Lelie said today he is “pretty sure” he has played his last game for the Denver Broncos.

“I wouldn’t say it’s 100 percent, but right now it looks that way,” the former Radford and Hawaii star and 2002 first round draft pick said in a phone interview with the Star-Bulletin.

The Broncos traded for Packers star wideout Javon Walker over the weekend. Lelie was drafted 19th overall, one spot ahead of Walker four years ago, but Lelie said Walker, a 2004 All-Pro, is now one ahead of him on the Denver depth chart. And that has Lelie — who was already looking to be traded — asking again to be moved, louder this time.

Walker was out for all but one game last season with a torn ACL.

“I don’t want to go back down to No. 3 without a fair shot,” Lelie said. “It’s pretty clear what direction the Broncos are headed in.”

All-Pro Rod Smith turns 36 this month, but hasn’t slowed down. The Broncos also have another former first-round draft pick in David Terrell.

Denver also drafted two wide receivers, both in the fourth round. The Broncos picked Akron’s Domenik Hixon and Central Florida’s Brandon Marshall. Marshall starred in the Hawaii Bowl and Hula Bowl this year.

The Broncos reportedly have been shopping Lelie, but with no takers yet, and coach Mike Shanahan said he expected that Lelie would still be with Denver this season.

Lelie caught 54 passes for 1,084 yards and seven touchdowns in 2004, but regressed to 42, 770 and one last year. He remains a deep threat; his yards-per-catch of 18.3 last year led the league, as did his mark of 20.1 the previous season.

“A lot of people right now say my production is low,” Lelie said. “Actually, anyone who looks at the tape knows our system dictates that, because we’re a running team.”

Lelie is skipping the team’s organized off-season workouts, and said he will holdout this season if he has to.

“I’ve mostly been here in Phoenix, working out at Octagon (his agency’s facilities),” said Lelie,who is headed into the final year of his contract. “I have nothing against Denver or the fans, they’ve been great. I’ve held myself up with class and never been out of line, I’m in a system where you do what you’re told. But I’m not going to go to the bench without a fair opportunity to keep my position.

“My best years are definitely ahead. I’m only 26 and haven’t had any injuries. I still have at least six or seven good years ahead.”
Last edited by Sportsbow on Tue May 02, 2006 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

He should have just kept his mouth shut and played out his contract and produced. It's not he has set the world on fire with his play.
ImageImage

H20
MLB: Not a big fan of MLB.
NBA: Celtics
NFL: Falcons

Post by H20 »

hah? He was a 1,000 receiver 2 years ago, had 770 yards last year where he didn't start for 3 of the games and has averaged 17.6 yards per catch in his career. The problem has been they've NEVER thrown the ball enough to him, ESPECIALLY in the endzone. When they throw him the ball he's produced. Rod Smith had 85 catches last year and Lelie had 42, thats more than double. Is it because he can't catch, hell no. Yeah, your #1 receiver should get more catches, but more than double your #2? Thats kind of alot. Again, he has produced when called upon, and he's done what they've asked him to do, be the deep threat. He proved 2 years ago when he led the league in yards per catch and this past year when he was I think in the top 5 in that category that he's one of the best deep threats in the business. It's not his fault that that's ALL Denver does with him and they realized that thats not the kind of guy they want as thier #2 receiver. He can't throw the ball to himself more.

ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: KC
NBA: NYK, PHI, LAL, SAS

Post by ubercow »

here's some more-complete WR stats for the year to compare smith/lelie.

some notes, 32 less passes to lelie, 45% comp rate compared to 68%. Lelie also got 2 more passes within the 10 and 5 less touchdowns. These 'throw-to' numbers don't show the quality of passes tho, if it was thrown into the ground in the area of that receiver, they probably got the credit for it.

Code: Select all

PLAYS – # of times player was the runner, passer or intended receiver.
FPTS – # of fantasy points using a standard performace scoring system.
GP – # of games played.
FPTS/G – # of fantasy points per game using a standard performace scoring system.
RUN – # of carries.
RYD – Amount of total rushing yardage.
RTD – Touchdowns scored by rushing.
PASS – # of throws by QB or # of passes intended for WR, TE or RB.
CMP – # completion by QB or # of catches by WR, TE or RB.
PYDS – Amount of total passing (QB) or receiving (WR, TE, RB) yardage.
PTD – Touchdowns scored by passing (QB) or receiving (WR, TE, RB).
FUM – # of Fumbles lost by player.
INT – # of Interceptions thrown by player.
10ZR – # of plays rushed inside opponent’s ten-yard line.
10ZP – # of plays as the passer or receiver inside opponent ten-yard line.

TOTAL                RUSHING     PASSING           TO      INSIDE 10
PLAYER       PLAYS FPTS GP FPTS/G RUN RYD RTD PASS CMP PYDS PTD FUM INT 10ZR 10ZP 
Rod Smith    125   146  16  9      1   7   0   124 85  1105  6   2   0   0    4 
Ashley Lelie  97   89   16  5      5   84  0   92  42  770   1   0   0   0    6 
source: http://www.thehuddle.com/stats/2005/std-playswr03.php

H20
MLB: Not a big fan of MLB.
NBA: Celtics
NFL: Falcons

Post by H20 »

Do they have these numbers for the TE's? 6 and 4 passes within the 10 seems small for a whole season for your starting WR's.

edit: nevermind I found it on your link. Like you said it doesn't show the quality of the throw, but a 2 pass difference still seems small when compared to the total.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

According to the stats, he caught less than half of the passes thrown his way. The QB may have been at fault on a lot of those but it can't be all the QB's fault. When the Cowboys had Harper and Irvin, Harper produced and he kept his mouth shut even though he got very little chances. I wouldn't put all the blame on the Qb and play calling.
ImageImage