Esara Tuaolo's Book...........

Talk about sports like the NFL, MLB, NBA, NCAA, Fantasy, Boxing, MMA along with any other sports you follow.
lewpac
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Esara Tuaolo's Book...........

Post by lewpac »

"Alone in the Trenches" is the title of the new book produced by Tuaolo, about his life as a gay man in the NFL. He was on Cold Pizza this morning talking about the book and his experiences.
He seems to have a good recital of all the gay/lesbian talking points and is well coached in making folks who don't side with gay agenda appear bigoted and hatefull.
I for one do not agree with that stuff, but reject the label "homophobe", as I have no fear of homosexuality or gay people. I came away resenting him for his assumptions about straight people's opinions.
I will not buy the book and will not, as his goal seems to be, pity or feel sorry for him because he was a gay man in the NFL and in some kind of dark prison.
Any thoughts?

noasark2x2
Starter
Starter
MLB: Braves
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Ravens

Post by noasark2x2 »

What is the purpose of this book? Is it to shed light and make others who are gay feel ok to come out? I doubt it. This is a sad attempt for a former player to make some money. I too will not buy this book.
Let's Go Bows

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

I will not even pick up the book to look at the jacket reviews...
It's a lifestyle he chose... I don't care to read about his hardships being a gay man in one of the toughest sports around...

Although I did see writeups that there are lots of bisexual men into Professional Wrestling (including some of the so called "SUPERSTARS" of WWE :o )

lewpac
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by lewpac »

Yeah, I'm kind of fed up with the agenda (as opposed to gay folk). During the Super Bowl, there was this ex-player who made a big deal about not getting into some party or event because he "came out" and was being punished for being an ex-NFL'er who is gay. Some guy who played for the Steelers in the 70's I think.
It seems to me that if you don't like Christian folk, then don't go to any churches. If you don't like Oriental folk, then don't visit the far east. If you feel uncomfortable around rednecks, then avoid Texas and Florida.
If you choose to be associated in any way with the NFL, it's a man's world. Without fail, it's a world of scratching, cursing, burping, sweating, spitting, farting, drinking, grunting, etc..........nothing but testosterone!!
If you wish to live the gay lifestyle, then don't go there and live there, and then come away bitching about "not getting any love" in that enviroment.
I would never go to a ballet recital and then come away complaining about the tights the men wear and demand change. That's that world and if I feel queazy about the male ballerina apparel, then I stay away. I'm not really into soccer, so I don't join up with a league and then demand change to accomodate me. And this guy shouldn't choose for years to be a part of the NFL and then whine about it and demand the NFL become more about his lifestyle. I just don't get that!

BKWarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by BKWarrior »

I feel sad for him if he was in anyway hurt or descrimihated (Outkast word) against. I guess I paralell it to the whole black man thing, but I don't think you can choose if your gay or not, as I understand it, it may be a chemical thing. He came out after his career ended anyways, didn't he?

I never cared if someone was gay, as long as they respected thoes who are not, who cares? Too many people worry about what goes on in other people's bedrooms. You know, interracial relationships were illegal until only about 40 years ago (in Virginia)?! The government, and people's opinions about what goes on in the bedroom should not be permitted.

While the whole concept of two men together is very strange to me, and I don't understand why men would be attracted to eachother, it's none of my business....Although....two women together always turned me on :-$ \:D/
Forza Italia, campioni del mondo!

galagalas
Starter
Starter

Post by galagalas »

yeah, i don't think it's a choice at all. i have some gay friends and i don't think they would choose to be ostracized by their family members or friends. i suggest just relaxing and not fearing that homosexuals want to turn you gay. unless you're gay already and are trying to suppress it. it's all good.

lewpac
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by lewpac »

I might get a hand-bag over the head for what I'm about to share. In a country where a more conservative/traditional opinion must be squelched and muted by being called names or labled a "hater", I usually get into some trouble or another because, while I have the right to remain silent, I lack the ability. So here goes............
With just about every "behavior related" malady being called a "disease", the intent is to take the responsibility and the "good vs. bad" out of the discussion. Alcholism is a disease, drug addiction is a disease, AIDS is never addressed in terms of behavior, gambling is a disease, etc........
Everyone on this board has been tempted with something or other and very well could've gone of the deep end of that habit. Most of us arrive at a point where we say "enough" and cut it out.
So, until there's undeniable-iron clad proof, the popular theory that all these problems in peoples lives are caused by some gene or bloodline is a bunch of hooey in my book.
I happen to believe in God. I know that's not acceptable in some circles, but it's still a free country, even for Christians. Homosexuality is discussed in the Bible, and never in a favorable light. Habits and excess are also discussed, with rewards and consequences according to which direction one chooses to go. If all these things are unavoidable-by-birth, not my fault, "I was born this way", then every logical consideration concerning ME behaving and ME watching my actions, and ME disciplining myself toward admirable and successfull goals goes out the window. The Bible would also fall to pieces, because it's one of the basic subjects from Genesis to Revelation......do this and this will happen, do that and that will happen. It gives you the choice.
Sorry for the rant, and I'm not trying to preach or convert or prosylitize here, its just the belief system of more people than not that is rarely spoken or heard in this PC world.

BKWarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by BKWarrior »

It's a double edged sword though. Many people believe that blacks are inferrior, and when I visit Tuscany or go to the Lomardi region (where my pops is from) in Italia, I get that a lot. Yeah, they believe in it, but that doesn't mean it's right. I believe there is a part in the bible (if I'm wrong, I apologize) where slavery is accepted. Doesn't make it right.

It's all good though, speak your mind, why not? As long as it is not to intentionally hurt someone, make fun of someone unecessarily, or just try to provoke someone, who cares?

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

Lewpac, I agree with you.
ImageImage

lewpac
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by lewpac »

BKWarrior, you mention being "black" and "Italian". I'm half Lebanese (Arab), which in the modern world, the last five years have been a little scary.
These are all "the way we were born". Out of our control. That's why both Jesse Jackson and the White Supremist are both wrong. The individual person has NO control over birthright.
We DO have control over how alchohol or drugs or who we decide to have sex with effects our lives.
If one decide's to insert his private male part into another males private orivace, that's a decision that one has to live with. Noone chained and shackled such a person to do such a thing. AIDS is the option you may collect if YOU decide to proceed. And then they blame Reagan and G. Bush for their death wish.
There's a difference between being born black, hispanic, a woman, arab, italian, etc............and choosing to have sex with a partner of the same sex.
I love all of God's people, and wish prosperity and health to every soul.
But if YOU choose NOT to play by the rules, you expose yourself to the consequences....................

JWarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer
MLB: Atlanta Braves
NFL: Atlanta Falcons

Post by JWarrior »

Irse wrote:Lewpac, I agree with you.
Irse, I agree with your agreement!
ImageImageImage

galagalas
Starter
Starter

Post by galagalas »

lewpac wrote: If one decide's to insert his private male part into another males private orivace, that's a decision that one has to live with. Noone chained and shackled such a person to do such a thing. AIDS is the option you may collect if YOU decide to proceed. And then they blame Reagan and G. Bush for their death wish.
There's a difference between being born black, hispanic, a woman, arab, italian, etc............and choosing to have sex with a partner of the same sex.
But if YOU choose NOT to play by the rules, you expose yourself to the consequences....................
wow lewpac, for someone so repulsed by the gay lifestyle, you sure are obsessed by it. so i guess growing up you must've come to a point where you had to make that tough decision to either go the gay way or the straight way. right? that's the way you make it seem. i'm sorry if it was a difficult decision. but that is highly commendable and gives one hope. i'll have to go tell my gay friends that it's not too late to become heterosexual in order to avoid AIDS, God's Gay Plague®.

come to think of it, since you're also equating alcoholism and drug addiction to being gay, there must be a 12-step program for homos as well. could you recommend a de-gayification program? if this succeeds, that would be "fabulous" for them, though i'll have to warn my newly ex-gay friends that of course, even though AIDS was meant for gays, there are still non-gay ways of getting it. ahhhh, but such is life. :-({|=

warriorfan808

Post by warriorfan808 »

lewpac wrote:BKWarrior, you mention being "black" and "Italian". I'm half Lebanese (Arab), which in the modern world, the last five years have been a little scary.
These are all "the way we were born". Out of our control. That's why both Jesse Jackson and the White Supremist are both wrong. The individual person has NO control over birthright.
We DO have control over how alchohol or drugs or who we decide to have sex with effects our lives.
If one decide's to insert his private male part into another males private orivace, that's a decision that one has to live with. Noone chained and shackled such a person to do such a thing. AIDS is the option you may collect if YOU decide to proceed. And then they blame Reagan and G. Bush for their death wish.
Not only gay people have AIDS. Gay men are just more prone because they have anal sex which involves more blood and men as a whole, cheat more often than women. I don't see it as some type of consequence. I have my conspiracy theory. Correct me if I'm wrong, but almost 85% of apes have HIV and are immune to it. I believe that way before Scientists knew anything about HIV, they decided that there was too much of a demand for blood and Apes were almost identical when comparing DNA, so they decided to try Ape donors. They started out in Africa because that's where all the Apes were.

I do believe that he should have kept it all to himself. It's not like he was a victim. Now if he told everyone he was gay and then was discriminated because of it, it would be a different story. It's unfair to judge people before you give them a chance. I don't know how his teamates or even the public would have reacted, but neither does he. Everything is speculation.

BKWarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by BKWarrior »

There are a high number of heterosexuals that get aids. I had been blessed with being with one woman for so long, but now (I brioke up with her, and again with a more recent girlfriend) I am still worried about getting adis from women. Yes, it seems to be a huge problem amongst gays, but it is also a HUGE problem in Africa, and it has very little to do with homosexuality.

By the way, there are a bout to vote on a bill as to weather to ban Gay benifits in Wisconsin. What that is, there are couples here who get benifits for being together for a certain amount of time. If gays are together for the same amount, then they want the same rights.

If they wanna get married, what do I care, it's not my business. It just makes me cringe that people care so much about other people's personal lives.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

BKWarrior wrote:a HUGE problem in Africa.
I went to Durban, South Africa in 2002
Back then the ratio was 1 out of every 3 Africans in their country had AIDS. Their average live expectance was under 50 years old.. The African men do not like to use condoms because it is said to be a knock on their manhood...

A friend recently went to SA for a Goodwill Venture to educate the African people on the epidemic...

Here's some updated stats on the epidemic in Sub Saharan Africa:
% of world's population: 10% ~47 million
% of world's HIV/AIDS cases: 60% ~6-7 million
Estimated new cases in 2005: 3.2 million
Estimated adult/child deaths in 2005: 2.4 million
Orphans: over 1 million

It's sad because as one African Women told me, "The SA Govt does not care much about the direction of the African people. They see AIDS as a type of Genocide to rid the Africans out of their own land"

Sad, very sad...
Another sad thing I saw... Guys cleaning the beaches 7 days a week, 12 hours days and getting paid an equivalent of $30 (US) a month :o

If any of you listen to Reggae, the song "African Children" by Aswad was all too true during my stay there...