athletic department

Talk about sports like the NFL, MLB, NBA, NCAA, Fantasy, Boxing, MMA along with any other sports you follow.
the home team
Play Maker
Play Maker

athletic department

Post by the home team »

y Ferd Lewis
Advertiser Staff Writer

Herman Frazier

University of Hawai'i athletic director Herman Frazier will qualify for a $15,000 bonus if his department repays its $1 million loan during the term of his new five-year agreement, according to the contract.

Three years ago, the Manoa chancellor's office gave the athletic department the interest-free loan to help it through what has become a string of four consecutive years of budget deficits dating to 2002.

A university audit last year said the athletic department had accumulated a net $4.4 million deficit through the 2004 fiscal year.

Yesterday, auditors told the UH Board of Regents that the athletic department had a $92,785 shortfall for fiscal year 2005.

A clause in the $250,000-a-year contract that Frazier signed in August says: "A bonus of $15,000 will be paid if the athletics program operates with a net increase of assets for two consecutive years and the athletics program repays in full the $1 million note payable to the university."

The $15,000 clause comes even as Frazier's contract specifies that one of his "duties" is to "maintain responsibility for fiscal and budgetary functions of the department."

Last year, Frazier presented the board with a timetable that calls for the school to raise revenues by 19.5 percent for 2006, enough to balance the budget this year and for the loan to be repaid in full next year. Frazier yesterday said the department will repay the loan in increments, and it planned to pay a portion of the bill this year.

UH interim President David McClain said last month he didn't see a problem with rewarding Frazier for something already part of his job description. McClain said, "There are debates with all of our coaches' contracts when we get into questions about how should we put achieving a certain grade point average. Should we put it in the contract or is that part of the job? There's no right answer to that. It is just a matter of what the leadership at the time feels it wants to emphasize and the situation at hand."

McClain said the $15,000 bonus provision was negotiated by the previous chancellor, Peter Englert, but approved by McClain's office. "I wouldn't have sent the contract forward if I wasn't OK with it," he said.

A UH spokesman said Frazier did not accept any of the other bonus money in his contract that he was eligible for in either 2004 or 2005

BKWarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by BKWarrior »

$92,000 eh? Someone had asked before and I mentioned $70,000. Someone said I was way off :evil:

That's cood to know. Shows things are moving in the right direction. Boosters need to be increased somehow. We could sell our souls to a company couldn't we? Somethin very lucrative?
Forza Italia, campioni del mondo!

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

BKWarrior wrote:$92,000 eh? Someone had asked before and I mentioned $70,000. Someone said I was way off :evil:

That's cood to know. Shows things are moving in the right direction. Boosters need to be increased somehow. We could sell our souls to a company couldn't we? Somethin very lucrative?
It was me, but I was refering to the cumulative deficit which is $4.4M. This fiscal year will be a little better as the article mentions, breakeven or a little in the black. But that already includes over $1M additional from the high roller section plus the additional premiums that other season ticketholders paid and the new $1.75M TV contract. These revenue sources have been tapped out already and ticket sales have been hurt. New boosters, hopefully some big ones are needed. But lots of small ones will help too. Na Koa memberships start at $25, just right for a student like you. As your career progresses you can increase your contributions.

TemeculaWarrior
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TemeculaWarrior »

uhwarriors wrote:...But lots of small ones will help too. Na Koa memberships start at $25, just right for a student like you.
As your career progresses you can increase your contributions.
Smooth, uhwarriors, really smooth.
If I didn't know better, I'd think you sold copy machines or used cars.
Smooth... Just like a baby's buttski. Man, what a great "pitch!"
Heck, I'm going to the Na Koa website right now.
I'm gonna download a membership application for myself.
You are goooood, uhwarriors!!

TW 8)

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

Did any of you hear the guy who called the Artie Wilson show today, in regards to the budget??? The dude said UH should produce more clothes with the "RAINBOW" and go back to calling the teams the "Rainbow Warriors", then more people would buy clothes and attend the game :o :o

WTH????? Who was that guy???
Artie said since JJ changed the logo, sales of UH items have multiplied (something like 10 times more). The guy said, "Yeah but a bunch of people in Hawaii still wants the Rainbow" :o :o
An NO it wasn't Rainbow Joe, and the guy didn't sound "Da Kine" [-X

Basically the guy blamed the budget deficit to the change of logo and name to Warriors.... What a banana :roll:

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Colorado Rockies
NBA: Denver Nuggets
NFL: Buffalo Bills

Post by wyokie »

BigWave96744 wrote:Did any of you hear the guy who called the Artie Wilson show today, in regards to the budget??? The dude said UH should produce more clothes with the "RAINBOW" and go back to calling the teams the "Rainbow Warriors", then more people would buy clothes and attend the game :o :o

WTH????? Who was that guy???
Artie said since JJ changed the logo, sales of UH items have multiplied (something like 10 times more). The guy said, "Yeah but a bunch of people in Hawaii still wants the Rainbow" :o :o
An NO it wasn't Rainbow Joe, and the guy didn't sound "Da Kine" [-X

Basically the guy blamed the budget deficit to the change of logo and name to Warriors.... What a banana :roll:
Actually I would like to see the actual study about that!!

The guy might actually be right. Eventhough they are the WARRIORS I still think of UH as the Rainbow Warriors and the UH rainbow logos on their helmets. I have a mini-helmet that has the old logos. I enjoy the memories. I miss the Paniolo Series but, I'm glad UW & UH don't play each anymore and hope they NEWVER do again.

Before you say it, TW, I said "MIGHT!!" The guy could be dead wrong as well.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

Damn it, it was you who called :evil:

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by wyokie »

BigWave96744 wrote:Damn it, it was you who called :evil:
YEA, Right!! :roll: You would know that wasn't me since you & I actually spoke to each on the phone TWICE last year!!

Hell I wished I was on Oahu right now. It's freezing here. We supposed to get ice AND snow this weekend here.

BKWarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by BKWarrior »

It was me, but I was refering to the cumulative deficit which is $4.4M. This fiscal year will be a little better as the article mentions, breakeven or a little in the black. But that already includes over $1M additional from the high roller section plus the additional premiums that other season ticketholders paid and the new $1.75M TV contract. These revenue sources have been tapped out already and ticket sales have been hurt. New boosters, hopefully some big ones are needed. But lots of small ones will help too.
I was just talkin smack. I understood :P

[/quote]It's freezing here. We supposed to get ice AND snow this weekend here.
We had snow so bad yesterday, they actually shut classes down! That never happens here! Plus, the temp will be below 0 all weekend. It was 57 degrees on Wednesday! Damn, I hate when the wheather teases you like that. It's still icy, and these bastardi out here wanna go 10 over the speed limit. We had over 10 crashes yesterday!
Na Koa memberships start at $25, just right for a student like you. As your career progresses you can increase your contributions.[/quote]

You know what, I will this summer, I swear it! $25 isn't that big of a deal. I usually make around $18 an hour so...(remember I am a student at UW, which is VERY expensive, plus my car payments, I'm still payin off my backpacking trip through Europe last spring, and I have an asian girlfriend!) but I'll do it for sure. Send me the info.
Forza Italia, campioni del mondo!

TemeculaWarrior
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TemeculaWarrior »

BKWarrior wrote:
It was me, but I was refering to the cumulative deficit which is $4.4M. This fiscal year will be a little better as the article mentions, breakeven or a little in the black. But that already includes over $1M additional from the high roller section plus the additional premiums that other season ticketholders paid and the new $1.75M TV contract. These revenue sources have been tapped out already and ticket sales have been hurt. New boosters, hopefully some big ones are needed. But lots of small ones will help too.
It's freezing here. We supposed to get ice AND snow this weekend here.
We had snow so bad yesterday, they actually shut classes down! That never happens here! Plus, the temp will be below 0 all weekend. It was 57 degrees on Wednesday! Damn, I hate when the wheather teases you like that. It's still icy, and these bastardi out here wanna go 10 over the speed limit. We had over 10 crashes yesterday!
Na Koa memberships start at $25, just right for a student like you. As your career progresses you can increase your contributions.[/quote]

You know what, I will this summer, I swear it! $25 isn't that big of a deal. I usually make around $18 an hour so...(remember I am a student at UW, which is VERY expensive, plus my car payments, I'm still payin off my backpacking trip through Europe last spring, and I have an asian girlfriend!) but I'll do it for sure. Send me the info.[/quote]

Hey, BK, I got a few things on my mind.

First, I formatted my post in BOLD so you could see where your's ended and mine began.

Second, nice post.

Third, Let me make a suggestion...
If you're not completely ripped when you post, maybe you want to try hitting the PREVIEW button and take a quick look at what you're gonna make us all look at? Maybe read it, too, and ask yourself if it makes any sense. Then, after you do a little proofreading and maybe some re-writing and some correcting, go ahead and hit that SUBMIT button.

I love you, BK. Your posts crack me up sometimes. On second thought, keep posting the way you're doing it now. I get a kick out of picturing you, banging away on that keyboard... Yeah, don't change anything, BK.

Anyway, per your request, here's a link to the Na Koa website.
You'll find all you need to become an Official UH Warrior Na Koa Booster!!!

http://www.nakoa.org/

TW 8)

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by wyokie »

TemeculaWarrior wrote:
BKWarrior wrote:
It's freezing here. We supposed to get ice AND snow this weekend here.
Na Koa memberships start at $25, just right for a student like you. As your career progresses you can increase your contributions.
You know what, I will this summer, I swear it! $25 isn't that big of a deal. I usually make around $18 an hour so...(remember I am a student at UW, which is VERY expensive, plus my car payments, I'm still payin off my backpacking trip through Europe last spring, and I have an asian girlfriend!) but I'll do it for sure. Send me the info.[/quote]

Hey, BK, I got a few things on my mind.

First, I formatted my post in BOLD so you could see where your's ended and mine began.

Second, nice post.

Third, Let me make a suggestion...
If you're not completely ripped when you post, maybe you want to try hitting the PREVIEW button and take a quick look at what you're gonna make us all look at? Maybe read it, too, and ask yourself if it makes any sense. Then, after you do a little proofreading and maybe some re-writing and some correcting, go ahead and hit that SUBMIT button.

I love you, BK. Your posts crack me up sometimes. On second thought, keep posting the way you're doing it now. I get a kick out of picturing you, banging away on that keyboard... Yeah, don't change anything, BK.

Anyway, per your request, here's a link to the Na Koa website.
You'll find all you need to become an Official UH Warrior Na Koa Booster!!!

http://www.nakoa.org/

TW 8)
[/quote]

Holy crap was that ever hilarious!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TW, your humor....Don't ever change!!!! :rofl:

Germ
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Germ »

BigWave96744 wrote:Did any of you hear the guy who called the Artie Wilson show today, in regards to the budget??? The dude said UH should produce more clothes with the "RAINBOW" and go back to calling the teams the "Rainbow Warriors", then more people would buy clothes and attend the game
Important to note that (I'm pretty sure) the athletic department doesn't get anything from apparel sales. All goes to the bookstore....

As for the increase in sales of UH stuff, it would be quite easy to greatly increase sales since there are a lot more items to bu ynow, such as bobbles and old game jerseys....

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: Atlanta Braves
NBA: Atlanta Hawks
NFL: San Diego Chargers

Post by Scott »

wyokie wrote:
YEA, Right!! :roll: You would know that wasn't me since you & I actually spoke to each on the phone TWICE last year!!

Hell I wished I was on Oahu right now. It's freezing here. We supposed to get ice AND snow this weekend here.
It's 23 degrees here and we are also expecting snow so don't complain! :) hehe BTW I checked out the Chattanooga Choo choo the other day, it was cool.
"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
- Yoda ('The Empire Strikes Back')

Mahalo,
Scott
http://www.sportshawaii.com
"Hawaii's Fan Based Sports Page"

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: Atlanta Braves
NBA: Atlanta Hawks
NFL: San Diego Chargers

Post by Scott »

Germ wrote:
BigWave96744 wrote:Did any of you hear the guy who called the Artie Wilson show today, in regards to the budget??? The dude said UH should produce more clothes with the "RAINBOW" and go back to calling the teams the "Rainbow Warriors", then more people would buy clothes and attend the game
Important to note that (I'm pretty sure) the athletic department doesn't get anything from apparel sales. All goes to the bookstore....

As for the increase in sales of UH stuff, it would be quite easy to greatly increase sales since there are a lot more items to bu ynow, such as bobbles and old game jerseys....
I agree, I thin UH only makes money on the royalties.
"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
- Yoda ('The Empire Strikes Back')

Mahalo,
Scott
http://www.sportshawaii.com
"Hawaii's Fan Based Sports Page"

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by wyokie »

Scott wrote:
wyokie wrote:

It's 23 degrees here and we are also expecting snow so don't complain! :) hehe BTW I checked out the Chattanooga Choo choo the other day, it was cool.
I was wondering if you would end up checking out the Chattanooga Choo Choo.

Right now here it's about 25 degrees and ice is coming down. North of the city, it's snowing. Drivers tonight had to slow down to from getting into wreaks. Unfortunately, some weren't very lucky. No deaths thankfully.

Oh, one last thing: did you know that Terrell Owens (THE T.O.,) attended UT-Chattanooga?