Hall of Fame questions

Talk about sports like the NFL, MLB, NBA, NCAA, Fantasy, Boxing, MMA along with any other sports you follow.
BKWarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Hall of Fame questions

Post by BKWarrior »

I'm kinda wondering why Michael Irving can't get into the hall of fame. He was one of the best WRs ever, and certainly one of the best of our time. Seems odd, I'm wondering if they're waiting so they can admit him in with Emmit.

Also, I've herd much debate over this...Is Jerome Bettis a Hall of famer? Many have said no, but I say yes. 5th most rushing yards of all time, very consistant through most of his career, and a Super Bowl winner. What do you guys think?
Forza Italia, campioni del mondo!

PCBoy
All-conference
All-conference
NBA: Miami Heat
NFL: Denver Broncos

Post by PCBoy »

Isn't Michael Irvin not eligible until next year anyway?

themainevent
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by themainevent »

There was an article where Emmitt Smith was bashing the voters because he feels that they are using Irvin's personal problems against him in why he is being kept out of the hall.

The Bus will probably get in based on career merit but if you look at his year by year stats, he only had three really dominating years. His rookie season and his first two seasons with the Steelers. Compared to other recent running backs (Marshall Faulk, Barry Sanders, Emmitt, Edge, Shaun Alexander, Priest Holmes, etc.) Bettis' best three years seem almost pedestrian. His career stats are based on a long, and mostly productive but not outstanding career.

lou909
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by lou909 »

PCBoy wrote:Isn't Michael Irvin not eligible until next year anyway?
irvin was eligible last year..... this would be the second time he's been passed up.... i do believe that they are not voting him in yet because of past off field problems.... about a month ago he was pulled over and cops found a crack pipe in his car and was scheduled to appear in court.... he went on the dan patrick show to explain that it (the pipe) wasn't his.... hard to believe him since he was caught with crack before....... but yeah I think the charges were dropped.... i do agree however that Irvin does belong in the hall......IMO off field incidents should not factor in the criteria to get in.....

BKWarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by BKWarrior »

Exactly! If that were legit criteria, what about LT? :evil:
Forza Italia, campioni del mondo!

noasark2x2
Starter
Starter
MLB: Braves
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Ravens

Post by noasark2x2 »

I think that the NFL is so inconsistent with this off the field issues. I agree with Emmit that there should be a set criteria. But I am also sadden that the second baddest Hurricane of all time can not get these thing in his life straight.
Let's Go Bows

lewpac
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by lewpac »

It is in the charter and rules for the Hall of Fame that "only on feild criteria and performance can be considered for HOF induction." "No activity, delima or malady propogated by eligible potential inductee may be considered for induction or denial into the Professional Football Hall of Fame."

So it's not a matter of opinion. The voters CANNOT consider off-field stuff, saint or sinner. Problem is, we all know they do and it can't be proven. Lawrence Taylor, if you recall, was a big debate. Pundits all over the place, for months talked about his behaviour and issues off the field and what potential problem that it may generate.
Irvin of course should be in the HOF. But he turned up his nose and scoffed at the NFL's "behavior police" a little too often to have the voters forget. They did the same thing to Bob Hayes. He finally got in post-mortem, and it was too late for him to enjoy the moment.