Super Bust.........

Talk about sports like the NFL, MLB, NBA, NCAA, Fantasy, Boxing, MMA along with any other sports you follow.
lewpac
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by lewpac »

WHO I want to see is less important as WHAT I want to see. A Cowboy fan ( let the usual crap begin) since 1961, I of course want my Boys there as often as possible.
That not available, I want something to sink my teeth into! I want a legendary team, a story for the ages, something to tell my son some life lesson about.
The Super Bowl was always been that in American life, a picture, a microism for us all to carry on and dream another day. Bradshaw to a gracefull Swann, Riggins on 4th and one busting loose off left tackle for a TD, Marcus Allens poetic run, the Fridge off guard...smashing in for a TD, Kenny King running for the Raiders against the Eagles, Doug Williams getting 35 point in the the second quarter against the Broncos, Elways helicopter dig keeping the drive alive, Hank Stram, Tom Landry, Don Shula, Weeb Uebank, John Madden, The Steel Curtain, The Purple People Eaters, The Doomesday Defense, Csonka-Kick-Mercury Morris, Montana to Rice/Taylor, Phil Simms and Lawrence Taylor, Len Dawson-Otis Taylor, Joe Nameth and his confidence/arrogance, Leon Lett and his folly's, Jack Tatum and George Adtiknson, Mike Singletary and Buddy Ryan, and of course, Jimmy Johnson and his "How 'Bout Them Cowboys!!!!"
Now we have Tampa beating a second rate Raider team, Expansion Carolina getting close a few times, Atlanta, Seattle, The Tennessee Titans playing in Super Bowl games that draws little exitement, bad games, and nobody outside of these cities cares.
I long for the days without salary cap, parity, free agency, and other PC measures to make it "fair" and "equal" to the perennial loosers, and giving us a championship game that matters to the whole NFL world and everyone can watch with interest without placing a bet.
That's what I want to see (the long answer to your question.)!

noasark2x2
Starter
Starter
MLB: Braves
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Ravens

Post by noasark2x2 »

Spoken like a tru believer in a team whose owner has deep pockets and if the rules allowed him too he would try and buy a champioship. The cowboys would have probally won a Super Bowl this decade if they didn't get rid of the guy who could play the parity game the best. they had the best evaluator of talent in the early nineties and then they let him get away. If they had kept the original JJ we would not be having this discussion.
Let's Go Bows

PCBoy
All-conference
All-conference
NBA: Miami Heat
NFL: Denver Broncos

Re: Super Bust.........

Post by PCBoy »

lewpac wrote:See, I told you so..................nobody cares!!
I guess more people cared than you thought. It was the second most watch show in tv history! Only behind the final episode of Mash.

lewpac
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by lewpac »

Wrong again dude.

Jimmy Johnson's last day's in Dallas directly coincided with the start of the Salary cap/Free agent modern day fiasco.
His performance in his beloved Miami clearly showed what free agency and parity has done to the league. Even St. Jimmy couldn't overcome the new rules. His teams never lived up to the Dan Marino/Jimmy Johnson forcasted championship tandem. His coaching career, and Marino's career ended with the most embarassing, lop-sided playoff loss that Miami ever experienced. This after all the success in Dallas, still playing by the old, tried and true rules of the game. Jerry Jones was able to build that team into what it was, and J.Johnson coached it. Johnson couldn't pull it off in Miami because "A", Jones wasn't the owner, and "B", free agency/salary cap problem that Johnson couldn't handle.

Another point to all this is the debunking of the Jerry Jones-Evil Idiot vs. Jimmy Johnson-Coach Saviour, and how Jones was totally responsible for all that trouble and screwed up his own team because of his ego.

Point: Jones won another SB without Johnson. And I don't want to hear all the "they were Johnsons players and Switzer managed it" crap. Noone said that in SF after Bill Walsh left and Seifert won it.........THE VERY NEXT YEAR!! Switzer won it two years later.
Point: Jerry Jones, much derided for his handling of the Tom Landry dismissal, got crucified for hiring his old college pal J.Johnson as head coach, the first ever right out of Div. 1A ball. We all know what happened next. That was all Jerry Jones, if at the least HE HIRED JOHNSON when everyone else laughed.
Point: All Jones wanted, as any owner/GM would expect, was a little credit for his part. He did pay the players, remember. His open checkbook allowed Johnson to have his people. The problem was Johnson, he would have none of it. Zero, Nilch, Nada, no credit to Jones whatsoever. Just read Johnsons book and you'll see his ego demands he and he alone is the Anointed One, and HE and HE ALONE was responsible for ever scintilla of the Cowboys success. And he's wrong about that. He was a big part of it, but I don't recall him ever throwing the ball to Irvin, making a tackle, running for a TD, or signing any checks. Jimmy Johnson and free agency/salary cap are the reasons for the Cowboy's fall from top, period!!

beegpk
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by beegpk »

what an idiotic title to this thread ---- "Super bust"

I won't bother to sort through the noise here --- but I will say
anyone that can't see the effort of players and the smarts of the coaching staff of the champion teams that played last Sunday has no understanding or appreciation for football

noasark2x2
Starter
Starter

Post by noasark2x2 »

give me a freakin break and yes I am going to say it. Switzer won with Jimmy 's boyz. Seifert also won with Walsh's boyz. The difference. Siefert continued to win while Jerry Jones homeboy pissed away a franchise that is still realing from the mismangment of its owner.
As for Jimmy J in Miami no one would trade with him even when he openly talked about trading the untradable Dan marino. So don't give me that crap. I watched and saw how many people just would not trade with the man while your owner took all that Jimmy had built and let it slide merrily away with a coach who couldn't draft and couldn't game plan for crap.
You should be happy with parity it means that one day the Cowboys will rise again. Until that day you just got to suck it up
Let's Go Bows

BKWarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by BKWarrior »

And JJ won with Von Appens boys. The thing that impresses me, is that even throughout all the salary cap and free agency stuff, teams like NE could maintain a great pace (though, I agree, their SBs aren't as exciting as Dallas' or SF's.)

Pitt deserved this victory, and I'm sick of people blaming the refs. Yeah they sucked, but the Steerlers earned what they got.

Sorry, I was just listining to sports radio on my way to class.
Forza Italia, campioni del mondo!

noasark2x2
Starter
Starter

Post by noasark2x2 »

I too am tired of hearing about how the refs blew the game Why won't people also look at Holmgren and his clockmanagement
Let's Go Bows

lewpac
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by lewpac »

Seifert continued to win huh? Win what? As I recall, the Cowboys have a more recent Super Bowl win than SF! I also recall that after the glorious Niner family shipped him off, he failed miserably in Carolina as well. Of course you're not one to be bothered by facts though.
As I also recall, Seifert was put on a rail out of town as soon as all the talent dissapated.
As for owners, If J. Jones or most any other owner did what Debartalo did, mafia and all, he'd be swingin' from the media's highest tree without a trial. Embezzlement, payolla, bribes and legbreaking...........and all you heard was "Mr. Debartalo and the entire 49er family thank you for all your prayers and support in his and his family's time of tragedy. We must all remain strong for Eddie at this time, blah, blah, blah......"
This idiot/criminal is one of the only, if not THE only NFL owner I can think of who lost his team due to being a felon. And talk about mismanagement, the Niners are the poster boy for that the last 15 years. The new owners are bumbling fools, they've been in salary cap hell for 10 years, and the "wonderfull Niner family" has unceremoniously shipped off EVERY important Niner since they showed their class with Montana. Their choices of hiring and firing coaches is a clinic on how NOT to do it, and their drafts have been at the bottom of the NFL for years.
Oh, and by the way, the Cowboys are slowly getting better while the Whiners get worse and worse since both their glory years.
I'm going to start billing you for all these free lessons I'm giving you about the NFL.

BKWarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by BKWarrior »

I agree about the niners. They have been in the dark for some time. Last year, they needed a QB, but I'm not sure the draft was the way to go. It's pretty obvious they were banking on Leinart. Sad to see the mighty falling. Dallas took a step back, but they should bounce back. Is it me, or has the quality of Qbs fallin over the last 5 years? I'm not just talking about numbers, but also the intangables (leading you team in tough situations to success, just over-all quality). Favre is the last great QB so far, but perhaps you would all put Brady in that catergory? Manning? For me, Manning must succeed in times of tough situations to be in the level of thoes other guys. He has the numbers, buit it seems, the way his teammates have been talking, that he doesn't have the respect the other guys had.

Wow, sorry for rambling :oops:
Forza Italia, campioni del mondo!

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Colorado Rockies
NBA: Denver Nuggets
NFL: Buffalo Bills

Post by wyokie »

I agree. QB play has indeed gotten worse in general. I miss the days of Elway, Montana, Kelly, and Marino.

lou909
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by lou909 »

lewpac... every post you have has something to do with how the NFL is not like how it was in the 60's and 70's..... well sorry to break it to you grandpa but the NFL is more popular today than it ever was... and part of that is because of the competiton..... also the audience that the NFL attracts now is a lot younger and the younger generation wants to see competition... that is why baseball lost it's hold as the most popular sport.....because you have teams (yanks, bosox) who always win and the season becomes somewhat irrelevant because you always know who will win.. it becomes boring... admit it old man... you are just grumpy because in this new era of the NFL your cowboys suck.... you wish the salary cap wasn't around because you want jones to buy championships year after year... well sorry gramps that ain't happening anymore...that is why what the patriots have done the past 5 years is more amazing than what the steelers in the 70's and niners in the 80's did because they did it in an era where the playing field was even...... again you always say that watching teams like the seahawks, panthers, falcons etc. are boring because there are no hall of famers and blah..blah...blah... well that's how it is and that's how it will be...if you don't like it then don't watch....over 30 milllion people watched this past superbowl... ya think they were watching because of all the future hall of famers in the game?... NO they were watching because that's how popular football has become..... it's sad to see that senior citizens like yourself cannot accept change.... :(

lewpac= grouchy old man :x

lewpac
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by lewpac »

You're 100% dead on right Lou, and I'll admit it. Er' most of it. It's not about me being mad because the Cowboys don't get to get in it every year. Being a Cowboy fan these past 40 years, I'm perfectly content if Dallas never wins another one. It's been a good "football fan life", and if it all end's tomorrow, being a Cowboy fan is a lucky thing I stepped into.
5 rings is more than most will ever get, and most of it happened before I was 32, still young and cared alot more than now.
No, it's about everything you said and is regrettably true. It's not about "winning", it's about "being competitive" (like soccer). It's not about "winning and losing(like soccer)" but "how you played the game" (fairness, like soccer). It's about being a "good sport" (like soccer), and about being "understanding(like soccer)" and "congratulatory(like soccer)" when your opponent wins. It's about being PC (like soccer) and not hogging the win column(like soccer) and the limelight (like soccer).
A little proverb though for you.....The guy who invented the saying "it doesn't make a difference whether you win or lose but how you played the game".....LOST!!!!! (and probably was a soccer fan).
Last edited by lewpac on Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PCBoy
All-conference
All-conference
NBA: Miami Heat
NFL: Denver Broncos

Post by PCBoy »

lou909 wrote: it's sad to see that senior citizens like yourself cannot accept change.... :(
:lol: I'd have to somewhat agree...

lou909
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by lou909 »

lewpac wrote:You're 100% dead on right Lou, and I'll admit it. Er' most of it. It's not about me being mad because the Cowboys don't get to get in it every year. Being a Cowboy fan these past 40 years, I'm perfectly content if Dallas never wins another one. It's been a good "football fan life", and if it all end's tomorrow, being a Cowboy fan is a lucky thing I stepped into.
5 rings is more than most will ever get, and most of it happened before I was 32, still young and cared alot more than now.
No, it's about everything you said and is regrettably true. It's not about "winning", it's about "being competitive" (like soccer). It's not about "winning and losing(like soccer)" but "how you played the game" (fairness, like soccer). It's about being a "good sport" (like soccer), and about being "understanding(like soccer)" and "congratulatory(like soccer)" when your opponent wins. It's about being PC (like soccer) and not hogging the win column(like soccer) and the limelight (like soccer).
A little proverb though for you.....The guy who invented the saying "it doesn't make a difference whether you win or lose but how you played the game".....LOST!!!!! (and probably was a soccer fan).

uhhh.... you like soccer?..... damn grandpa... what in the hell does soccer have to do with the topic :-? ... oh well to each his own... you old folks have a weird way of thinking..... must be all those cobwebs building up in the brain... oh well... you have a good one gramps... :D