Owens looking for better days with Jags

Talk about sports like the NFL, MLB, NBA, NCAA, Fantasy, Boxing, MMA along with any other sports you follow.
BigWave96744

Owens looking for better days with Jags

Post by BigWave96744 »

Stephen Tsai - Honolulu Advertiser wrote:The greatest challenge for a National Football League rookie, it has been said, is adjusting to the speed of the pro game.

It was that way for former University of Hawai'i returner/receiver Chad Owens, whose first season with the Jacksonville Jaguars was reduced to a nine-day emotional blur.

"It was a learning experience," said Owens, who went from being the steal of the 2005 draft to the rookie sensation of training camp to the obscurity of the Jaguars' practice squad.

Owens is back in Hawai'i, at least through late March, working out daily and enjoying time with his wife and two children. He reports to the Jaguars' mini-camp in April.

"I was happy I was able to go through the year," he said. "It's done. I'm back home. I get to relax. I look forward to bigger and better things."

It appeared 2005 would be Owens' wonder year. After an impressive training camp, he made the Jaguars' opening-day roster.

But in the second game, a 10-3 loss to Indianapolis, Owens fumbled away two punts and lost control of another. Two days later, he was released.

After clearing waivers, which made him a free agent, he agreed to an offer to join the Jaguars' practice squad. A member of that unit is not eligible for games or travel, and receives a weekly salary of $4,350. If he had lasted through six games, he would have earned the NFL rookie minimum of $230,000 for the season, or $13,529 per week.

"I'm glad I got a chance to stay with the team," Owens said. "I could have easily been back here not doing anything. I was happy to be there, to be able to learn."

At the end of the regular season, according to agent Leo Goeas, Owens was approached by four teams, including the San Francisco 49ers and Chicago Bears. Owens decided to stay put, signing a one-year contract.

"I'm a Jaguar," Owens said. "I'll leave it at that."

Because Owens was not on the active roster for at least six games, he still is regarded as a first-year player under the NFL's pay scale. The NFL minimum salary is $235,000 for a first-year player for the 2006 season.

Owens, who received a $78,000 bonus when he signed his original contract with the Jaguars, did not receive a signing bonus for the current contract.

But Owens was granted two key concessions. Instead of the standard split contract — in which he would receive half his salary if he landed on the injured list for an extended period — he will be paid in full should he suffer an injury while on the Jaguars' roster.

He also will not be required to play in NFL Europe. "They wanted him to go there, but they were OK with him staying in the conditioning program here," Goeas said.

"If I were single, I'd probably go," Owens said. "But, no, I don't feel I need to go. I'll just work on things I need to work on. I won't be as tired, like I would be if I had to come off of a 10-game season" in Europe.

Owens said he expects to enter the mini-camps with more focus.

He admitted that last fall, "mentally, I wasn't there. I wasn't 100 percent focused. There were some things, things I don't want to talk about, that probably played a role in it. I'm going into this year free of everything. I'll be focused on football. That's all."

He also said he will adhere to UH coach June Jones' philosophy of not dwelling on mistakes.

"Like we used to say: 'One snap and clear,' " Owens said. "I don't want to make any mistakes. But if I make a mistake, I'll keep working on getting better."
http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/ ... 90359/1032

the home team
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by the home team »

he had other offers but elected to stay with the jags. I wonder why?

warriorfan808

Post by warriorfan808 »

the home team wrote:he had other offers but elected to stay with the jags. I wonder why?
Owens seems like a team player and probably bonded with the Jags. Just how us local boys grow up, gotta stay loyal.

the home team
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by the home team »

yep true dat, plus to get the other guys too manuwai,naeole

Macnut
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by Macnut »

the home team wrote:he had other offers but elected to stay with the jags. I wonder why?
Because JJ told him to. He said it shows loyalty and that the Jags will appricate it.
No matter what, be happy you still got your health!

the home team
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by the home team »

but if playing for another team will get him some PT then he should go for it

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: Atlanta Braves
NBA: Atlanta Hawks
NFL: San Diego Chargers

Post by Scott »

Do you think it was good or bad for him to not play NFL Europe. I totally agree that family comes first but not sure if it would help his chances or not?
"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
- Yoda ('The Empire Strikes Back')

Mahalo,
Scott
http://www.sportshawaii.com
"Hawaii's Fan Based Sports Page"

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

I think it's a mistake not to play in NFL Europe. It appears that he needs more game experience playing against pros and figuring out what he can and can't do at that level. In the preseason he tried to do too much and was careless with the ball fumbling it away several times. He also showed poor judgement not fair catching the ball and muffed punts because he was trying to run before he secured the ball. He also fielded balls that he should have let go inside the 10 and put his team in terrible field position. He has the talent and drive to make it at least as a punt returner. He just needs to learn when to do what and when not to take chances.

mtnbkr4eva
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Chad should go to Europe

Post by mtnbkr4eva »

[quote="uhwarriors"]I think it's a mistake not to play in NFL Europe. It appears that he needs more game experience playing against pros and figuring out what he can and can't do at that level. In the preseason he tried to do too much and was careless with the ball fumbling it away several times. He also showed poor judgement not fair catching the ball and muffed punts because he was trying to run before he secured the ball. He also fielded balls that he should have let go inside the 10 and put his team in terrible field position. He has the talent and drive to make it at least as a punt returner. He just needs to learn when to do what and when not to take chances.[/quote]

After Chad's abysmal performance last season, he needs to prove to the coaches that he's still got it. When he finally got his chance at the big stage last year, he did everything that a returner should not do in a football game. I think Del Rio lost all confidence in Chad. The coaches did see some potential in Chad, since he signed the new contract.

If he thinks the pressure was high last year, wait till the lights turn on next season. If he chokes again under pressure, he could potentially blow his chance in the NFL.

Go to Europe Chad. Run some kicks to da house like you used to. Showcase the talent we saw in Hawaii. We know you can do it, just make sure you harness the energy and use your head.

H20
MLB: Not a big fan of MLB.
NBA: Celtics
NFL: Falcons

Re: Chad should go to Europe

Post by H20 »

mtnbkr4eva wrote:We know you can do it, just make sure you harness the energy and use your head.
You mean the one that we now know HUGE becuase of his choice not to go to NFLE? :lol:

anthoang
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by anthoang »

I would have liked to see Owen in NFLEL. with the Chang-to-Owens combo once again. I can understand the fatigue factor in playing an extra 10 games, but for a young player who didn't fair well last year, he needs to prove he can play. go to Europe for your family Chad!!!

CoachKen
Insider
Insider

Post by CoachKen »

In talking with Adrian White, the defensive coordinator for the NFLE Rhine, it is a great opportunity for players to gain experience and up their stock in the eyes of teams. It is a little like minor league baseball, a great chance to prove yourself. Rolovich played for the Rhine last year and can probably give you guys more insight than I can. Adrian will be keeping an eye out for Timmy and making him feel at home!

Coach
Character, strength, and honor!

BKWarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by BKWarrior »

Are the Rhine in Amsterdam? If so ...ohohoho...he aint never gonna wanna come back! You could go buck wild, wake up, and realise your old and you got there 20 years before! I tell ya, that city is a 20 year high, where the temptations are...delicious!
Good luck TC, make sure your well rested out there (and not just for football) \:D/ :lol: :wink: :D
Forza Italia, campioni del mondo!

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

I had a layover in Amsterdam...
Just a few yards after you exit the airport into fresh air, guys are already approaching you to buy some pakalolo...

My friend actually went there as part of an European vaction with the UH School of Architecture.. He said there are stores with Naked Manequins in the store windows.. The only difference between there and good ole USA is that every few minutes she walks off and the next one comes to the window to pose [-X

CoachKen
Insider
Insider

Post by CoachKen »

The Rhein Fire is in Dusseldorf, Germany...Amsterdam is the Admirals
Character, strength, and honor!