A sad day for NFL football.............

Talk about sports like the NFL, MLB, NBA, NCAA, Fantasy, Boxing, MMA along with any other sports you follow.
lewpac
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by lewpac »

Say what you want 'noasark', but Joe Montana in a Chief's uniform is anethema to me. Same with Bledsoe in my team's uniform. Emmit Smith a Cardinal, etc...............even T.O. looked a little goofy in that Eagle get up. Something just doesn't look right when I see that. I have no real argument or grown-up reasoning for it, it just bothers me.
When I was a kid in 60's and 70's, I could recite the entire Cowboy offense and defense, man for man for years. Now I couldn't even name eleven guys who play for Dallas without the roster in front of me to remind me. I know my sports childhood was that much richer because I knew year in and year out who my team was. Hell, to this day I could probably tell you all 22 starters for the Cowboys between 1972 and 1979. In fact I know I can. As a kid, it was that big of a deal to me that Leroy Jordan, Chuck Howley and D.D. Lewis were linebackers on my team. I mattered to me that Harvey Martin, Randy White, Ed "Too Tall" Jones, Bob Lilly, Larry Cole, etc....where the Doomesday defensive line.
My backfeild was of course Staubach, Calvin Hill, Tony Dorsett, Duane Thomas and Walt Garrison for years. I slept better at night when how your NFL team fared mattered alot. When you're 13 years old, it's your whole world.
I'm sorry for kids today who don't have that. I know there's something missing for them by not having their icons and hero's being a part of something more than a free-agent contract and then moving on.
Sorry for waxing on and pining for "the good old day's". But your day will come when you're older and you'll reflect on these days and regret they're long gone. The game will no doubt continue to change, and 20 years from now you won't recognize it. And you'll begin alot of opinion's with "when I was a lad........."