Overtime rules

Talk about sports like the NFL, MLB, NBA, NCAA, Fantasy, Boxing, MMA along with any other sports you follow.
rodfather
All-American
All-American

Overtime rules

Post by rodfather »

This past Saturday I saw the Penn State-Illinois 9 overtime game. What do you guys think about exchanging 2 point conversations at the 3rd OT? Some people think it is gimmicky. Some compare it to soccer penalty kicks. What do you guys think? Any better ideas?
"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat." --- Jigoro Kano, The Founder of Judo

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Colorado Rockies
NBA: Denver Nuggets
NFL: Buffalo Bills

Re: Overtime rules

Post by wyokie »

It's too stupid!!! American football is not soccer.

Personally would love to see the return of tie games like what we had up until the end of the 1995 season.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

wyokie wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:19 pm It's too stupid!!! American football is not soccer.

Personally would love to see the return of tie games like what we had up until the end of the 1995 season.
Uhhh doesn't soccer have tie games [-X

rodfather
All-American
All-American

Post by rodfather »

NFL games end in a tie too. I think the rules for both nfl and college need to be simplified.

In college, 1st ot original rules. 2nd ot must go for 2 points after TD. 3ot alternate 2 point conversations.

In the NFL, the original sudden death didn’t give the other team a chance if the first team scored. Now you got this complicated thing each team gets at least one drive unless the first team scores a TD on the initial drive.

Some internet guys had a couple of suggestions.
1. Each team has one possession. Start at the 50. If the first team scores, the other team can drive to either tie or win the game (score a TD if the first team got a field goal or go for 2 if the first team got a TD and pat)
2. The other idea is 1st and goal from the 10. You must score a TD. No field goals. Then the other team gets a chance.

Sorry for the long rant. It was a good game but I felt there had to be a better way to do this. Hence this post. I wonder what you the fans think. I also wonder what players think.
"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat." --- Jigoro Kano, The Founder of Judo

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

wyokie wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:19 pm It's too stupid!!! American football is not soccer.

Very unpopular opinion. I miss ties as much as I miss the pre-playoff period of college FB.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!